Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
My friend saw me playing Dark Souls last week and wanted to try it. 6 days later he'd beaten the Taurus Demon got to the church, but it was too easy for him so he restarted as 'the naked guy'. Meanwhile it took me 80 hours to get through the Undead Burg as a pyromamcer. FML

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Count Chocula posted:

Meanwhile it took me 80 hours to get through the Undead Burg
for real?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Im not good at video games. Did you play for 80 hours with your feet?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Count Chocula posted:

My friend saw me playing Dark Souls last week and wanted to try it. 6 days later he'd beaten the Taurus Demon got to the church, but it was too easy for him so he restarted as 'the naked guy'. Meanwhile it took me 80 hours to get through the Undead Burg as a pyromamcer. FML

Dude. I will assume at least SOME of that 80 hours is exaggeration, but I'm wondering if you aren't missing some core gameplay mechanic entirely. You wouldn't be the first to be completely missing something like "wait - there's a way to ROLL?!??!"

Did you head to the Burg first after you arrived at Firelink? Or did you take some long backwards Master Key route?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Did you go to the cemetery first?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
80 hours to get past Burg seems like a very large exaggeration indeed, even though I've been stuck a lot through the series myself - I took probably over 40 tries to beat Capra Demon, all in a row, when I did my first DS playthrough and before that I'd had two false starts where I lost interest in the Burg, and I needed hours of attempts on many DS3 bosses. Strangely I'm pretty sure DS3 bosses were the hardest for me in the entire series, with only Capra standing out from the other two games as on a similar level, despite the fact I should ostensibly be used to Dark Souls combat at that point. I mean, I thought DS2 was a much bigger divergence from 1 in terms of the feel of the combat, but while Forest of Fallen Giants (SotFS version) gave me a fair bit of trouble getting used to it, I didn't have any trouble past that. And once I got going in DS1 and beat Capra, I felt pretty comfortable throughout. Sure I was stuck learning Artorias for a while and had occasional bosses that took many attempts, but I never felt stuck or like I was wasting hours on the same thing. Meanwhile the second half of DS3 was just boss-wall after boss-wall for me.

E: And even with that it only took me ~65 hours to beat DS3 of which probably a full 20 was solely attempts on ~5 of the bosses. In hingsight DS3 was not the best game for going all-in on my Faith build and getting 55 Faith ASAP with very little Health/Stamina in the first run-through...

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 14, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Insurrectionist posted:

80 hours to get past Burg seems like a very large exaggeration indeed, even though I've been stuck a lot through the series myself - I took probably over 40 tries to beat Capra Demon, all in a row, when I did my first DS playthrough and before that I'd had two false starts where I lost interest in the Burg, and I needed hours of attempts on many DS3 bosses. Strangely I'm pretty sure DS3 bosses were the hardest for me in the entire series, with only Capra standing out from the other two games as on a similar level, despite the fact I should ostensibly be used to Dark Souls combat at that point. I mean, I thought DS2 was a much bigger divergence from 1 in terms of the feel of the combat, but while Forest of Fallen Giants (SotFS version) gave me a fair bit of trouble getting used to it, I didn't have any trouble past that. And once I got going in DS1 and beat Capra, I felt pretty comfortable throughout. Sure I was stuck learning Artorias for a while and had occasional bosses that took many attempts, but I never felt stuck or like I was wasting hours on the same thing. Meanwhile the second half of DS3 was just boss-wall after boss-wall for me.

E: And even with that it only took me ~65 hours to beat DS3 of which probably a full 20 was solely attempts on ~5 of the bosses. In hingsight DS3 was not the best game for going all-in on my Faith build and getting 55 Faith ASAP with very little Health/Stamina in the first run-through...

whenever im stuck against a boss like that, ive found that after the 4th or 5th try its best to just put the controller down and stop playing for a couple days. when you come back it will be surprisingly easier because you wont be trapped in the failing thought patterns you were in on your first attempt.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

whenever im stuck against a boss like that, ive found that after the 4th or 5th try its best to just put the controller down and stop playing for a couple days. when you come back it will be surprisingly easier because you wont be trapped in the failing thought patterns you were in on your first attempt.

I like to use the time-honored technique of complaining in the thread that you're stuck and then beating it on the next try.

:v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Believe it or not that's a valid strategy and one I have employed before.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

5 hours killin and illin

75 hours praising the motherfuckin sun.

Any other explanation is balls

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Getting good at bloodborne made ds3 bosses kinda trivial honestly because you get almost as fast a roll as the BB dodge, but the boss attacks telegraphing have way longer windups in ds3

Ds2 was by far the hardest combat for me due to how long you're locked into your attack animations and how stamina greedy every action is

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

heck, I had to take a few day break and just came back and stomped Kalameet first try after losing repeatedly to him before. No idea how . Time for Manus

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The most amazing little tip I've ever gotten for Dark Souls is that spamming the shoulder buttons when you get grabbed either reduces duration of the grab or it reduces damage directly. It took a grab from the Gaping Dragon and turned it into a damage-free tour of its digestive system.

I've really been wanting to snag Kalameet's tail, but I've been having no luck. As far as I can see, there's only one move he makes where you can even realistically take a shot at the tail, when he stands up to breathe fire, and he barely ever does that. The calamity curse grab seemed like it'd give me a chance too, but if you somehow manage to dodge around the massive invisible telekinesis hitbox, he instantly lays back down and puts his tail back up. All I can think of to do is maybe experiment with weapon movesets to find one that'll hit high or to beg for summons.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm playing DS3 for the first time and can't find the thread. Two questions. Why do I find very very few summons when I have ember when I could find countless summons in DS1 like 3 years into the game? Also was shield always mapped to left bumper? It seems like the shielding and attacking mechanics should be switched. You use shield and quick strikes much more often and I think they should be on the triggers. Can I map the controls on console?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Summoning in ds3 is tied to both soul level and weapon upgrade level, could have something to do with that

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've really been wanting to snag Kalameet's tail, but I've been having no luck. As far as I can see, there's only one move he makes where you can even realistically take a shot at the tail, when he stands up to breathe fire, and he barely ever does that. The calamity curse grab seemed like it'd give me a chance too, but if you somehow manage to dodge around the massive invisible telekinesis hitbox, he instantly lays back down and puts his tail back up. All I can think of to do is maybe experiment with weapon movesets to find one that'll hit high or to beg for summons.

If you can get behind him, he'll occasionally do a tail slam that leaves it open for longer than anything else; that's how I managed to get it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Summoning in ds3 is tied to both soul level and weapon upgrade level, could have something to do with that

Is that to prevent sl 1 invasions with a +15 weapon? Tell me there's a way around that.... My weapon is only +2 and I'm in the beginning. My white soap signs get picked up right away and usually there are other people summoned too but I can't find any to use myself.

e- This might sound like a "everything new sucks" comment but I think the hollow/unhollow system was way cooler than ember no ember.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 15, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- Sorted

Iron golem is tough. Only cuz his grab/grab does half my hp. Need a bit more vit.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 16, 2016

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Nevvy Z posted:

Iron golem is tough. Only cuz his grab/grab does half my hp. Need a bit more vit Iron Tarkus.

Fixed that for you.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Merauder posted:

Fixed that for you.

googled. and, well. gently caress.

Thanks.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Seltzer posted:

Is that to prevent sl 1 invasions with a +15 weapon? Tell me there's a way around that.... My weapon is only +2 and I'm in the beginning. My white soap signs get picked up right away and usually there are other people summoned too but I can't find any to use myself.

e- This might sound like a "everything new sucks" comment but I think the hollow/unhollow system was way cooler than ember no ember.

Yeah it's specifically to discourage twinking invasions. However they inadvertently made a huge loophole due to level adjusted summoning, as you can password summon a high level friend and it only adjusts their damage and health, while leaving the stamina bar and weapon requirements. Trivial to run around the high wall with a DSGA and stomp people, but I think think twink invasions lose all their fun if it's not one lone dickwraith running around

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Yeah it's specifically to discourage twinking invasions. However they inadvertently made a huge loophole due to level adjusted summoning, as you can password summon a high level friend and it only adjusts their damage and health, while leaving the stamina bar and weapon requirements. Trivial to run around the high wall with a DSGA and stomp people, but I think think twink invasions lose all their fun if it's not one lone dickwraith running around

I posted this in the other thread

quote:

I find the "anti-griefing" measure really lame, it makes things more complicated for finding summons and "griefing" should be part of dark souls. If someone went to the trouble of getting the red eye orb and leveling a crazy sword at SL 10 and invaded me in the burg I considered that part of the dark souls experience.

I was only ever invaded by low level kitted out players very rarely and it added to the experience. It's actually fun trying to hide from/outsmart a overpowered invader. Worse case scenario they kill you and you go back to the same place you've been killed 50+ times by other enemies. I'd understand if every time people went unhollow they got instantly smashed all game, but that was rare and being hollow was meant to be risk reward. I don't think the type of people who play darksouls need to be saved from invaders.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Someone posted this screenshot on Reddit:

It shows the message that pops up if you try to warp from Firelink with the Lordvessel if no other warpable bonfires are available. This raises a question to me: If Lautrec kills the Fire Keeper here under these conditions, what happens if you die? Do you still spawn there anyways, or all the way back in the Undead Asylum?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just kill a fire keeper after you've rested at her fireplace to find out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Just kill a fire keeper after you've rested at her fireplace to find out.
You can't actually kill that specific Firekeeper yourself.

Believe me I tried.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

HaB posted:

Dude. I will assume at least SOME of that 80 hours is exaggeration, but I'm wondering if you aren't missing some core gameplay mechanic entirely. You wouldn't be the first to be completely missing something like "wait - there's a way to ROLL?!??!"

Did you head to the Burg first after you arrived at Firelink? Or did you take some long backwards Master Key route?

I just looked at all my posts in this thread. I say I started the game on Feb 24th and talk about beating the Taurus Demon on Feb 25th of the same year, so either the system software is broken, time is out of joint, or my memory is complete Swiss cheese. I should look up to see if '80 hours' is how long it took me to beat the game in total (seems a bit low). On this thread it says I beat it in November.

My friend doesn't play many video games, he just keeps getting better at Super Meat Boy.

I'm close to the end of Bloodborne, which I find more frustrating than DS1 or 2. Can't wait to play DS3 and Scholar of the First Sin, since I cheesed DS2.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Count Chocula posted:

I just looked at all my posts in this thread. I say I started the game on Feb 24th and talk about beating the Taurus Demon on Feb 25th of the same year, so either the system software is broken, time is out of joint, or my memory is complete Swiss cheese. I should look up to see if '80 hours' is how long it took me to beat the game in total (seems a bit low). On this thread it says I beat it in November.

My friend doesn't play many video games, he just keeps getting better at Super Meat Boy.

I'm close to the end of Bloodborne, which I find more frustrating than DS1 or 2. Can't wait to play DS3 and Scholar of the First Sin, since I cheesed DS2.

The character loading screen shows the total time played for each character, IIRC.

On my first attempt at the game, it took me 3 sessions on as many days to even get to Taurus Demon, but that was a combined total of maybe 6 hours.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Raxivace posted:

You can't actually kill that specific Firekeeper yourself.

Believe me I tried.

I believe he's suggesting you try putting out a different most recent bonfire you have rested at.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So it turns out Manus is much, much much much easier if you have 20 +6 estus vs 5 +1 . think I've killed every boss in ds1 now, woop

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I did the bad thing in Anor Londo, and now every time I die here I get punted back to the first now unlit bonfire. Kinda dumb they didn't let you just reload at the lit ones.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Last Celebration posted:

I did the bad thing in Anor Londo, and now every time I die here I get punted back to the first now unlit bonfire. Kinda dumb they didn't let you just reload at the lit ones.

Letting you reload for any reason would render a core game mechanic completely irrelevant.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

You can't reset to the other one?

Do you get your estus restored and all that other jazz when you get punted to the unlit? I'm in the same spot and it seems like it'd almost be easier to start at the unlit one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

You can't reset to the other one?

Do you get your estus restored and all that other jazz when you get punted to the unlit? I'm in the same spot and it seems like it'd almost be easier to start at the unlit one.

Well first I got ganked by one of the Darkmoon NPCs, got punted back to the then lit bonfire instead of the last one I used in the Royal Sanctuary, then killed the Fire Keeper after warping. Then I rested at the Darkmoon bonfire, and got respawned at the start again, rested at the Darkmoon one after using the Duke's Archive warp thinking I just forgot, then got warped back when I died again. Then I tried just not resting in any Anor Londo bonfires, but got warped back to the fire keeper bonfire again instead of the archives.

Basically just don't kill the fire keeper so you can instawarp to the one outside Gyndolyn's fog door. Or if you already did, there are worse boss runs than the one to the duke's archives so you can warp from there.. :v:

• Locked thread