Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
If you publicly support a political figure who talks and acts like a white supremacist/fascist, you're directly associating yourself with all of their terrible views and pronouncements, whether or not you personally subscribe to every single one. This includes Cowajafee's mum and whoever else.

Cowajafee and the other guy, no one is engaging with your argument because no one cares, due to the above widely-accepted statement. If someone tried to make an argument that Palmer is literally a white supremacist himself without any evidence to support such an argument, then that's a dumb argument obviously and we get that. It doesn't matter though, because again, publicly supporting such a person is bad enough for many people to directly equate you to that person and their perceived crimes. There are many reasons why people make such an equation, and the merits of it can be discussed, but that's not something anyone except you wants to discuss here, so please loving stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

Truga posted:

Dude, all Palmer had to do was come out and say "I'm not a literal neo-nazi". But he won't/can't because if he does that, he'll lose all his twitter friends and his nazi girlfriend. It's that loving simple.

All you had to do was not assume someone was a literal neo nazi based on nothing?

Why is Godwin's law not observed anymore? It existed for a good reason.

Bhodi posted:

No one cares, take it to D&D

I want to be a wizard who casts spells by waving my arms, and I get that in december no matter who wins

What game are you talking about? That sounds rad.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

fenrif posted:

The Unspoken. I think it's a Touch launch title?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

El Grillo posted:

If someone tried to make an argument that Palmer is literally a white supremacist himself without any evidence to support such an argument, then that's a dumb argument obviously and we get that.

But it did happen, it was the post that started all of this.

homeless snail posted:

Oh I see, you seem to be working under the impression that people are upset about Palmer Luckey's politics, instead of him being a literal white supremacist

I don't care if people hate Palmer Luckey, I do too. He's a lovely guy with lovely political views. All I wanted was actual proof that he is a white supremacist so then I could also say he is a white supremacist. You're all too busy circlejerking about him and assuming that I must love the guy because I want actual proof before lighting my torch and grabbing my pitchfork.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

fenrif posted:

It looks real fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIsu7qoP1kI

It's a kinda multiplayer wizard duel, focused on a slower paced cast-counter-countercounter volley idea rather than twitch reflexes.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

El Grillo posted:

The Unspoken. I think it's a Touch launch title?

Ah Occulus Studios, shame. Looks cool though. I'd like to think with ReVive i'll eventually get a chance to play it.

El Grillo posted:

If you publicly support a political figure who talks and acts like a white supremacist/fascist, you're directly associating yourself with all of their terrible views and pronouncements, whether or not you personally subscribe to every single one. This includes Cowajafee's mum and whoever else.

Politics is a way more complex subject than the black and white picture you are painting it to be. Both candidates are facist nazis by the metrics people in this thread are suggesting.

People wont engage our "argument" because our argument is "why do you think that" and the answer is "because."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

fenrif posted:

Ah Occulus Studios, shame. Looks cool though. I'd like to think with ReVive i'll eventually get a chance to play it.
I hope so!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Doesn't Revive already emulate Touch? I thought I read the guy added it a while ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Four hours into the PSVR stream and I'm not super impressed by it. 100 Foot Robot Golf looks like it would be better as not a VR game. I couldn't tell what was going on because the camera in game was too close to the robot and at weird angles. I don't know how Jeff played it like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
100 Foot Robot Golf is bad even when not in VR. It's just low-effort in all areas and not in a way that's funny like the name.

Rez is the killer app, it's astonishing.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cojawfee posted:

Four hours into the PSVR stream and I'm not super impressed by it. 100 Foot Robot Golf looks like it would be better as not a VR game. I couldn't tell what was going on because the camera in game was too close to the robot and at weird angles. I don't know how Jeff played it like that.
Basically you can't play 100 Foot Robot Golf in VR unless you've played it in regular TV mode first to understand what the gently caress you're looking at. Even then it's a janky silly game loosely based on golf to play with friends and not at all seriously, the controls are far too loose and imprecise to compete with a Hot Shots or Golf Club or anything like that. Oh and you can't play online multiplayer in VR mode.

Hell, currently I can't even play online multiplayer in regular mode cause the quickmatch is busted and I don't know anyone else with a copy.

Rez and Thumper are pretty much the PSVR games everyone goes agog for as far as I can tell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Playroom vr looks pretty cool.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cojawfee posted:

Playroom vr looks pretty cool.
Yeah, it looks more polished than VR Worlds I think and has a good style that disguises the low detail. Not much to do there unless you've got at least one other person in the room though, and possibly an extra controller.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
A lot of Best Buys are having Touch controller demos

live.oculus.com

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've got one in an hour and a half, actually.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

AndrewP posted:

I've got one in an hour and a half, actually.

Nice, make sure to post some impressions when you get a chance!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

Nice, make sure to post some impressions when you get a chance!

It was great! First time using any kind of hand controllers so the mere fact of having hands was pretty incredible. The controllers themselves had a nice weight to them, but the triggers were incredibly light. The grip button was perfectly placed and makes a lot of sense in practice.

The finger gesturing was great - specifically the ability to point to stuff and use your index finger. I've never used a Vive but this feature seems like a pretty substantial benefit.

The Unspoken was tons of fun. Took me a while to get used to throwing. Only got to try one demo, which is a shame because I really wanted to give Medium a spin. All told, it's gonna be a long two months.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I'm a pretty big Vive fan, but wow the Touch grip button is so much better.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for the write up, I'm seriously starting to get hyped and agree these two months are gonna be a painful wait.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Back on the Finger Tracking tech, I was dumb and Kickstarted the TouchVR guys who ended up having the CEO or someone high up pretty much take all the money and run.
Their Prototype worked well, the team of engineers looked promising and really were passionate in bringing touch to VR in an easy enough way, but when the money up and disappears it sort of puts a big damper on actually bringing a piece of tech to market or even just developed enough past prototype to get a VC to fund it I would imagine. This may be sort of the barrier that other glove/hand tracking tech is having. Getting a proper prototype to production isn't easy, and in this case, there is a lot of tech they have to invent to use it if it's not using the already there Vive Lighthouse tech or Oculus Camera.

So yea, out of all my Kickstarters, that was the only one that really burned. 90% of everything else has come through fortunately. Stay away if you value money, but they aren't all bad if you pick the right ones.

Also I don't know if the Touch controllers I used were final spec or not at VRLA, but one thing of note is how you pretty much completely forget you are using them once you get engrossed in the game. You just grab and flick stuff ingame (The Star Trek Bridge Crew demo in this case) without thinking about it much. Something that isn't quite as easy to do with the Vive's current Controller, and games like SPT really make it apparent after you play a while and just gripping the things at the correct angle sort of wears on you. Though I do like the grip buttons and the way SPT and a few other games utilize them so I wonder how the interaction will change once thats gone.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 15, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think the mistake was backing Complex Tech in a niche market.

Now that Valve has released the Lighthouse info, companies like Razer and Nvidia will probably be attempting their own controllers, I do know both companies have been bulking up their VR departments in the bay area.

And as we've already seen in the past, Razer can come up with some pretty crazy poo poo like the Hydra.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

Back on the Finger Tracking tech, I was dumb and Kickstarted the TouchVR guys who ended up having the CEO or someone high up pretty much take all the money and run.
Their Prototype worked well, the team of engineers looked promising and really were passionate in bringing touch to VR in an easy enough way, but when the money up and disappears it sort of puts a big damper on actually bringing a piece of tech to market or even just developed enough past prototype to get a VC to fund it I would imagine. This may be sort of the barrier that other glove/hand tracking tech is having. Getting a proper prototype to production isn't easy, and in this case, there is a lot of tech they have to invent to use it if it's not using the already there Vive Lighthouse tech or Oculus Camera.

You'd think something like that would be an obvious get for some VC or investor. It's a shame if cool stuff like that is just falling by the wayside. Have to see what dextro or leap come up with.

Hope there's news about Megatonne Rainfall soon, I thought that'd be a PSVR launch title but no sign. The footage that's out there looks rad

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

So yea, out of all my Kickstarters, that was the only one that really burned. 90% of everything else has come through fortunately. Stay away if you value money, but they aren't all bad if you pick the right ones.

You were lucky you went with the Omni treadmill instead of the Virtualizer or you'd be out another $800. Only Kickstart what you can afford to never receive.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

There's probably an obvious reason for this, but as the lighthouse sensors themselves are so small why couldn't they just make gloves with a full set of lighthouse sensors in the palms and back of the hands, and then have another pair of sensors at the end of each finger?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Icedude posted:

There's probably an obvious reason for this, but as the lighthouse sensors themselves are so small why couldn't they just make gloves with a full set of lighthouse sensors in the palms and back of the hands, and then have another pair of sensors at the end of each finger?

The sensors are small, but they're not the only way the controllers are tracked; they also use sensors that detect inertia changes for fast response (the IMUs detect position much faster than the lighthouse system, or camera for the Rift, but tend to drift over time; by combining the two, you can track both high speed and avoid drift over time). For a glove, you'd not only need much bulkier IMUs, but you'd need lots of them; a rigid controller or headset only needs one since if one part moves all of it is moving, but that wouldn't be true for a glove.

Touch (and the new Vive controllers) are a compromise since they're rigid controllers but can tell where your fingers are in relation to the controller.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Gloves always sound like the right solution because we all grew up with gloves as this iconic staple of VR you would see in every media that depicted it back in the day from movies to the friggin powerglove, but honestly it's just problematic. They are that much more inconvenient to put on and take off, they would get sweaty and dirty, holding objects like guns or things and 'mimeing' the actions would feel a lot worse, and lastly you have serious variations in hand size so you'd have to make several sizes, and then if you buy the small, but your boyfriend has huge hands and wants to try them out, you have to buy another whole set?

Sorry Jaron Lanier.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Something like touch that can track full finger position would be best

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think the mistake was backing Complex Tech in a niche market.

Now that Valve has released the Lighthouse info, companies like Razer and Nvidia will probably be attempting their own controllers, I do know both companies have been bulking up their VR departments in the bay area.

More details? Are you guys hiring?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The timing worked out that I got to play some PSVR right after my Touch demo.

I'm pretty impressed a time what they were able to do with an underpowered system and old peripherals. The graphic aren't as good and the move controllers don't track quite as well, but you know what? It does the trick. It feels like VR and there are some cool games for it. I'm not recommending people a Rift unless they have a beefy PC already, but I'd absolutely recommend a PSVR to someone.

I definitely noticed a difference between the controllers though. The Touch are just rock solid, Move gets wonky pretty easily.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Alright I'm probably going to screw this up.

"Are there any plans for PSVR displaying existing non-VR games in stereoscopic 3D?"

I don't know if I even said that right so here's an example:

I would like to play The Last Of Us Remastered in stereoscopic 3D using a VR headset. Is there any indication that PSVR could do this? Does it already do this? If not, am I stupid in thinking this should be easy for Sony to do? My basic rear end brain figures "yes" because stuff like vorpX exists, but it's also not optimistic about Sony being Sony. Is PS4 remote play + rift + vorpx actually cool/good?

edit: (to be clear I'm asking this because from what I can tell, Cinematic mode just displays things on a virtual 2d flatscreen floating in front of you, with no stereoscopic depth)

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 15, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

mellowjournalism posted:

"Are there any plans for PSVR displaying existing non-VR games in stereoscopic 3D?"

If a game can already display in stereo 3D on an 3DTV, it should be possible for Sony to make the PSVR display it in stereo 3D in cinematic mode too. I don't know whether it supports this right now, though.

If a game doesn't support stereo 3D on 3DTVs, PSVR won't be able to add that support. VorpX on PC relies on being able to manipulate the game's rendering, and on having extra GPU power available to do the stereo effect, neither of which are possible for the PSVR on PS4.

I wouldn't expect remote play + VorpX to work at all, for the same reason that VorpX can't take an ordinary TV signal and make it 3D; the 3D information just isn't available any more once the signal has been sent over remote play.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

NRVNQSR posted:

If a game can already display in stereo 3D on an 3DTV, it should be possible for Sony to make the PSVR display it in stereo 3D in cinematic mode too. I don't know whether it supports this right now, though.

It sounds like the processor box takes the HDMI source input, applies a transformation on it and then displays it on the screen. Depending on how this is implemented (HW vs SW) it might not be able to do this as it needs to be able to transform each eye differently and also be able to handle the 3D input (alternate frames? interlaced? sidebyside?) from the PS4.
It currently does not support 3D input and whether or not it can be patched in is up to some Sony engineer to confirm / deny.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Small update on my VR game thing.

(old)

There are two basic types of gameplay:
1) Finding objects and figuring out a way to hit them off the edge into the abyss. The objects are either bowling pins or dildos based on player preference, where shapes/textures could be an unlockable thing eventually. Kind of a puzzle game.
2) Exploring (Tilt Brush) paintings on a scavenger hunt.

Both work alright and are a bit of fun for a VR thing. I'm not sure if I should be posting about it here, in the making games thread, or the Vive thread.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 16, 2016

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

NRVNQSR posted:

If a game doesn't support stereo 3D on 3DTVs, PSVR won't be able to add that support. VorpX on PC relies on being able to manipulate the game's rendering, and on having extra GPU power available to do the stereo effect, neither of which are possible for the PSVR on PS4.

I wouldn't expect remote play + VorpX to work at all, for the same reason that VorpX can't take an ordinary TV signal and make it 3D; the 3D information just isn't available any more once the signal has been sent over remote play.

Oook thank you. Wading through the internet in an attempt to catch up with all this VR dev is... you know. (Then again my appetite for researching tech/gear ain't what it used to be)

re: remote play + vorpX, no wonder, I didn't believe it when I heard about it. Latency, plus flat video information, yeah.

w00tazn posted:

It sounds like the processor box takes the HDMI source input, applies a transformation on it and then displays it on the screen. Depending on how this is implemented (HW vs SW) it might not be able to do this as it needs to be able to transform each eye differently and also be able to handle the 3D input (alternate frames? interlaced? sidebyside?) from the PS4.
It currently does not support 3D input and whether or not it can be patched in is up to some Sony engineer to confirm / deny.

Good to know. Despite the realities of business, I'll say this: I think if Sony focused on getting stereo 3D PSVR support for its major AAA non-VR games, PSVR would be selling twice as fast.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This poo poo needs to be said!!!

Busting the VR hype bubble

Its a stupid idea

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Blue Star posted:

This poo poo needs to be said!!!

Busting the VR hype bubble

Its a stupid idea

As someone who has tried both early VR (Dactyl Nightmare) and a Rift, I think that article is terrible and makes a lot of bad assumptions.

Not sure why people are falling over themselves to declare VR dead already. There's enough game development underway that momentum alone will keep things going a couple of years. If the second generation of headsets fail to sell well then we can revisit the argument.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dang I thought VR was pretty cool but I guess I was wrong

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

dang I thought VR was pretty cool but I guess I was wrong

This is our fault for not reading more personal website editorials.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

90's VR was terrible, the headsets were mostly awful, the tracking wasn't even full 360 let alone positional, the FOV was terrible, latency was off the charts, the resolution was smaller than an NES, FPS of less than 30, and there was like, 4 games that supported any amount of VR at all. Not to mention that poo poo was like 900 bucks in 1995 dollars.

This year I can buy a headset for half the cost, with twice the FOV, almost 5 times the resolution, rock solid 90fps, flawless tracking (including positional, which nothing did back then on the market), flawlessly tracked motion controllers, and most importantly, dozens of very polished, high quality games made specifically for it not just descent and magic carpet with hacked in support.

Every time I hear old tech fucks try to draw comparisons between whats happening now and 90's VR I just have to laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Also there is VR porn now too.