Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

tyrelhill posted:

If a class isnt being used by the pros i dont want it on my gold ranked comp team

I get the same vibe from the thread sometimes. There's already a super tryhard thread for pro strats, but I'd really like to discuss things that work at 2000-3000 without the condescension and "git gud" answers since the majority of players fall in this rank anyway. As much as people want to play like a 3500+, if you're in gold/plat, you have a lot more flexibility in terms of what works and what doesn't work. Last night for example, I got a 6 person kill with D.Va ult last night because their Reinhart didn't know about blocking it with shield. I watched a defensive, torb turret placed on the moving platforms in Volskya Industries completely kill a push. Everything is possible in the land of gold and platinum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm no pro, but as had been said in the thread already, I think a big part of why you see his usage falloff in pro play is because of his unreliable damage. That helps charge enemy support ults, something you didn't have in TF2. Also I haven't played TF2 in ages, but iirc, static defenses were much more prevalent.

I think the sticky launcher is a really huge part of it. If Junkrat had 6 conc mines he could use before it went on cooldown, he would be crazy strong as well. (which is basically saying, yeah, reliable damage). This was true even in 6v6 and highlander it seems, which didn't involve static defense.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

drrockso20 posted:

Here's a question regarding "balance", how would you rebalance all the heroes so that they are all equally viable at the highest level of play(assuming the matchmaking restriction of one of each hero per team, and assuming that no more than 2-3 characters of any role are in play as well), while avoiding ruining them for casual quick play usage(including using 6 of the same hero at once), while also keeping their basic mechanics more or less recognizable to their current state(with possible exceptions to Symmetra, Hanzo, and Mei, who all could probably use some redesigning)?

Please avoid any "that's impossible" sort of responses, cause I know that's almost definitely the case, I'm more interested in what ideas you might have to potentially answer my question, even if they end up as flawed

my own thoughts on the idea(although I'm sure there's huge hole in it that I'm not noticing) would be to have it set up so any given hero would be Strong against around a 1/3 of the other heroes, Neutral against 1/3 of them, and Weak against 1/3 of them

i wouldn't avoid "ruining them for casual quick play usage" because balancing them wouldn't do that

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the whole idea that players need to protected from abilities of a fair power level but which make them feel bad is a useless constraint on design, especially because those are by far the most fun abilities to use on others

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Considering some of the teams I've played on, I am just happy if my team consists of two tanks and two healers. I am not concerned what the other two are. Really anything to avoid three offense,a hanzo, and a widowmaker.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I only play Tracer, Mei, Dva, and Ana. Play whatever you want fam

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

The other reason demo's pipes could bee so strong was the brutally low max ammo on the launcher. A whole bunch of balance issues in this game are made way tougher when no one has to watch ammo levels and can just shoot with abandon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the pipes barely matter for why demo's strong, it's all about the stickies. demo pipes aren't even stronger than junkrat's comparatively since it still takes 2 shots to kill anything except the heavy, which is similar to how junkrat works in spite of the lower health in tf2. tf2 pubs are a lot bigger tho so you'd have way more spam than is even possible in overwatch

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I've never had a problem with Junkrat's Ult if you put a little finesse into it. Some people forget that it can climb walls and get upset that they can't just drive it into the middle of the fray for the POTG.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Zikan posted:

Demo pipes have significantly faster projectile speed and sticky bombs are much more powerful and useful damage and movement wise. If you you replaced junkrat with the demoman he would be the strongest character in the game.

Neither of them detonate on player impact after geometry impact, which the grenades inexplicably do in this game.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Actually, it is explicable, and the explicination is that this is a console game

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

^burtle posted:

I've never had a problem with Junkrat's Ult if you put a little finesse into it. Some people forget that it can climb walls and get upset that they can't just drive it into the middle of the fray for the POTG.

I mean the wall climb is nice but the sound it makes is so loud that everybody always knows where it is?

If you can get the timing right so that it distracts the enemy team in the middle of a firefight (or pick off an isolated reinhardt/lucio to stagger spawns) it can be effective. But it's still easily the worst ult in the game

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

secret volcano lair posted:

If you can get the timing right so that it distracts the enemy team in the middle of a firefight (or pick off an isolated reinhardt/lucio to stagger spawns) it can be effective. But it's still easily the worst ult in the game
Somewhat ironically it's now even worse because Blizzard is teaching people how to shoot the tires with the Brawl.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ask a guy nicely to change his mic from always on to push to talk cause he's got one of those clacky keyboards and I don't wanna hear typing all game.

Immediately get accusing by all the other teammates of being salty and mad and told to just calm down.

:psyduck:

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

Ask a guy nicely to change his mic from always on to push to talk cause he's got one of those clacky keyboards and I don't wanna hear typing all game.

Immediately get accusing by all the other teammates of being salty and mad and told to just calm down.

:psyduck:

It's seriously not even worth it to ask anyone to do anything, nicely or otherwise.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it's worth "hey, heads up your mic is hot when you're typing, may want to low the sensitivity a bit."

Honestly, if he's playing the game there shouldn't be a whole lot of typing going on. Unless he's slamming on that spacebar you really shouldn't hear anything.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

I think it's worth "hey, heads up your mic is hot when you're typing, may want to low the sensitivity a bit."

Honestly, if he's playing the game there shouldn't be a whole lot of typing going on. Unless he's slamming on that spacebar you really shouldn't hear anything.

Might have one of those loud rear end mechanical keyboards.

Also, not sure how you would lower the sensitivity though. There's no option for that in overwatch.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Set up a great wombo-combo by chaining Blizzard with Graviton surge, 5 people got sucked in and ended up with another quintuple kill.

PotG ends up going to Zenyatta who hit some baddies with balls and then healed people a bit with his ult :suicide:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Love those guys who sound like they're typing 500 WPM but their character is standing still.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Might have one of those loud rear end mechanical keyboards.

Also, not sure how you would lower the sensitivity though. There's no option for that in overwatch.

I have one of those loud rear end mechanical keyboard and use voice-activation. I don't have that problem when playing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Don't loving use voice activation on PC. There is no excuse for it.

Use Push-to-Talk.

Nobody needs to hear you cough, nobody needs to hear your mouthbreathing, nobody needs to hear you yell at your dog.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Don't loving use voice activation on PC. There is no excuse for it.

Use Push-to-Talk.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll continue using voice activation.

[Edit: Some people understand that there is a way to toggle your mic on mute. I mute my mic before I cough, don't mouthbreath, and mute myself before I yell at my non-existent dog.]

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's the most awkward or funny thing you've heard over the mic? So far the only thing I've heard is very young sounding players awkwardly hitting on female players.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Thanks for the advice.

I'll continue using voice activation.

[Edit: Some people understand that there is a way to toggle your mic on mute. I mute my mic before I cough, don't mouthbreath, and mute myself before I yell at my non-existent dog.]

If you have a quiet keyboard, that works. But even the Razer Stealth Mechanical keyboards trigger the mic at low sensitivity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Aahhhhhhhhh I already said I have a mechanical keyboard. :suicide:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Panfilo posted:

What's the most awkward or funny thing you've heard over the mic? So far the only thing I've heard is very young sounding players awkwardly hitting on female players.

A Widowmaker doing his callouts in a Widow impression voice, complete with accent.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Aahhhhhhhhh I already said I have a mechanical keyboard. :suicide:

I have a regular non-mechanical keyboard and i have one of those mod mics that you can attach to your headphones... last time i used voice activation, people were complaining about hearing my keyboard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mute all voice chat problem solved

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Get in a discord with your friends and shoot the poo poo while you shoot poo poo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

I have a regular non-mechanical keyboard and i have one of those mod mics that you can attach to your headphones... last time i used voice activation, people were complaining about hearing my keyboard.

That's cool.

If you have a good headset mic, use a foam cover, spend time dialing it in, and use a mute button, you should be good to go. I realize that this immediately rules out 99.9% of Overwatch players, but in my small group of friends who have played online games together forever, the vast majority of us use voice activated mics without a problem. I used to be very pro push-to-talk, which is fine for something like Eve, but for faster-paced games like FPSes we all notice that we talk a lot more with voice activation.

Also, like, you can mute people in-game. If your "hey guy your poo poo is picking up all sorts of noise" is met with hostility (or it not getting fixed), just mute the guy. Who cares?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cumtaster posted:

mute all voice chat problem solved

But how will you hear your teammates criticize your hero selection?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

so what you're saying is you don't play with the voice muted

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

That's cool.

If you have a good headset mic, use a foam cover, spend time dialing it in, and use a mute button, you should be good to go. I realize that this immediately rules out 99.9% of Overwatch players, but in my small group of friends who have played online games together forever, the vast majority of us use voice activated mics without a problem. I used to be very pro push-to-talk, which is fine for something like Eve, but for faster-paced games like FPSes we all notice that we talk a lot more with voice activation.

Also, like, you can mute people in-game. If your "hey guy your poo poo is picking up all sorts of noise" is met with hostility (or it not getting fixed), just mute the guy. Who cares?

Yea this is real, push to talk makes communication harder enough that t just doesn't happen as much.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The meta difference between QP and Competitive is amazing. Generally speaking nobody plays the sniper characters in competitive, whereas in QP both teams will have both 100% of the time. It's like they're two completely different games. It also really reminds me of how much I hate sniper characters and I wish the gaming industry would stop putting them in games.

If they're on the enemy team and they're good, it's annoying. If they're on the enemy team and they're bad, the game is boring. If they're on your team and they're good, the game is boring. If they're on your team and they're bad, it's annoying.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The meta difference between QP and Competitive is amazing. Generally speaking nobody plays the sniper characters in competitive, whereas in QP both teams will have both 100% of the time. It's like they're two completely different games. It also really reminds me of how much I hate sniper characters and I wish the gaming industry would stop putting them in games.

If they're on the enemy team and they're good, it's annoying. If they're on the enemy team and they're bad, the game is boring. If they're on your team and they're good, the game is boring. If they're on your team and they're bad, it's annoying.

It's because the map design and current meta in competitive heavily favors closer range engagements. For standoff heroes like the snipers, this means you have to pick off 2-3 people in every team fight to keep your value proposition. If you can click heads that consistently, you would be better served as a McCree that can also provide more utility against flankers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

that's what text chat is for

KoB
May 1, 2009
I dont get too many people criticizing my hero selection but normally I end up as the tank/healer so

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I get where you're coming from, but I find play gets more tense when there's a sniper. They usually don't have 100% accuracy or awareness so it becomes a game of poking just enough not to get yourself killed; especially as a support or say, Pharah. Running from building to building with your team actually matters. I have a pretty conservative playstyle (i.e. I'm a snivelling coward) though, so I'll admit it doesn't change what I do by a wide margin.

But if I was on Rein, which I play pretty aggressively, I'd probably get a little miffed if we didn't get someone to harass the sniper.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Bought this game and had my first non bot match this morning

Talk about a close match :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Pyzza Rouge posted:

Running from building to building with your team actually matters. I have a pretty conservative playstyle (i.e. I'm a snivelling coward) though, so I'll admit it doesn't change what I do by a wide margin.

That's the problem, this game isn't designed to be played like ARMA where you're shifting from cover to cover providing overlapping fire with your teammates. It's a loving arcade brawl where giant apes are flying through the sky and deliciously plump multi-ethnicity women are creating walls of ice. There's no room for CoD snipers.