Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Halloween Jack posted:

People keep telling me this about Godlike. What kind of death camps does JoJo's have?

Well there are all those Nazis in Battle Tendency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Opposing Farce posted:

Well there are all those Nazis in Battle Tendency.

They even have a scene where they exterminate a bunch of locals to feed their blood to a dark demigod of fitness after letting one child live because he passed their sadistic test.

Stroheim: Kind of a fucker. Also never actually accomplishes much for all his boasting about GERMAN SCIENCE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know what's funny? Beasts are the only supernatural creatures immune to the Disquiet. Everyone else is affected.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Halloween Jack posted:

People keep telling me this about Godlike. What kind of death camps does JoJo's have?
The kind run by the Soviets, just so we're clear on who were really bad guys.

Nah though, the thing with Godlike is more that their power system - apparently accidentally - produces something that is really close to the JJBA Stand powers, instead of standard superhero power bloat. The character Jotaro who people were complaining were boring has crushing super-strong telekinesis within about two yards' range, and has a couple other things on top (incredible precision and speed on top of that TK, plus the ability to briefly stop time). But he can't do poo poo to something five yards away unless he throws a rock at it.

Godlike isn't all that much like Jojo's tonally, although it would be pretty easy to modify it thus.

Night10194 posted:

They even have a scene where they exterminate a bunch of locals to feed their blood to a dark demigod of fitness after letting one child live because he passed their sadistic test.

Stroheim: Kind of a fucker. Also never actually accomplishes much for all his boasting about GERMAN SCIENCE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!
He sure accomplishes helping out Kars :v:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know what's funny? Beasts are the only supernatural creatures immune to the Disquiet. Everyone else is affected.

Demons are technically immune, since Disquiet hits their covers and not their actual minds, but they are heavily incentivized to act as though they're affected or the God-Machine gets very suspicious very quickly.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I appreciate that this thread covered every possible facet of jerking each other off about how people could possibly like Madoka besides 'maybe it's just a good show'.

Kurieg posted:

Beast stuff

Getting kind of mixed signals from Boleslav here. Is he from a different time period and just really old?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ZeroCount posted:

I appreciate that this thread covered every possible facet of jerking each other off about how people could possibly like Madoka besides 'maybe it's just a good show'.

It's a good show, sure, I just fuckin' hate it because it's what a lot of western nerd stuff has latched onto as the definition of magical girls.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ZeroCount posted:

Getting kind of mixed signals from Boleslav here. Is he from a different time period and just really old?

No clue! As we get towards the end of the book the quality of the writing drops off considerably.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Signs from an Iowa Interstate:

West Langleville: Exit 89
Fishmalkton: Exit 88
Boleslav's Village of Damnation and Endless Reign of Oppression: Exit 87-B
Tri-Mountain Mall: Exit 87-A
Hampleshire: Exit 86

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hostile V posted:

Signs from an Iowa Interstate:

West Langleville: Exit 89
Fishmalkton: Exit 88
Boleslav's Village of Damnation and Endless Reign of Oppression: Exit 87-B
Tri-Mountain Mall: Exit 87-A
Hampleshire: Exit 86

I lived in Iowa for twelve years, this checks out.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Night10194 posted:

Oh, it's trash, I was more thinking 'Huh obscure mountain village no-one can escape from' and it just popped into my head, you know? I've been writing something for a Halloween one-shot inspired by Siren and so it's on my mind and coloring a lot of stuff at the moment.

Same here! I've been using it as inspiration for my Halloween game of Dread.

quote:

Siren is really loving good

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well of course. The grimdark magical snowflakes are doubtlessly the only people who can truly understand their pain.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think in a Promethean-focused game, if someone showed up who seemed to be immune to disquiet, felt like a relative, and explicitly tried to encourage you to stop your pilgrimage because man, gently caress becoming human, what'd good are humans anyway?" it'd be less "The only one who ever understood your pain" and more "Holy poo poo, kill it"

From comments made by the writer of that section, this may be intentional.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think in a Promethean-focused game, if someone showed up who seemed to be immune to disquiet, felt like a relative, and explicitly tried to encourage you to stop your pilgrimage because man, gently caress becoming human, what'd good are humans anyway?" it'd be less "The only one who ever understood your pain" and more "Holy poo poo, kill it"

From comments made by the writer of that section, this may be intentional.

I mean, a Beast is basically the absolute antithesis of everything that makes Promethean legit great. You're a human who has fecklessly sacrificed their humanity to go and spread horror and nightmares among others and who encourages the worst in everyone while cheering them on. A Promethean is a creature that, while they cause pain if they stay around too long and must always wander, generally seeks to learn and grow and one day become something they find beautiful and worthwhile. I can't imagine most of them would even take too kindly to a Beast just saying 'Bah, humanity's for losers and that's loser talk'.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I mean, a Beast is basically the absolute antithesis of everything that makes Promethean legit great. You're a human who has fecklessly sacrificed their humanity to go and spread horror and nightmares among others and who encourages the worst in everyone while cheering them on. A Promethean is a creature that, while they cause pain if they stay around too long and must always wander, generally seeks to learn and grow and one day become something they find beautiful and worthwhile. I can't imagine most of them would even take too kindly to a Beast just saying 'Bah, humanity's for losers and that's loser talk'.

I have something special for you that should be happening around Halloween.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

I have something special for you that should be happening around Halloween.

That sounds surprisingly ominous.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

That sounds surprisingly ominous.

Halloween just seems thematically appropriate to break out the spooky stories to stop your heart.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daeren posted:

Part 4 is the start of Stands properly turning from punch ghosts into the superpower equivalent of Mornington Crescent.
The end of part 3 kind of foreshadows this, with Dio trolling the poo poo out of everybody in sight with The World.

Kurieg posted:

I feel like I should just be keeping a tally of reasons why everyone in the Chronicles of Darkness should kill Beasts on sight.

.... Why aren't you?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zereth posted:

.... Why aren't you?

Because it's just this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Imagining a Centimani Promethean and their gaggle of enthralled Pandoran minions hanging out with a Beast feels like the only way that will end is either A: the Centimani keeps the Beast captive as company/for experimentation or B: the Centimani kills the Beast and decides to see what happens if you use the corpse in the construction of a new Promethean.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hostile V posted:

B: the Centimani kills the Beast and decides to see what happens if you use the corpse in the construction of a new Promethean.

Well that's a massively unpleasant thought.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think in a Promethean-focused game, if someone showed up who seemed to be immune to disquiet, felt like a relative, and explicitly tried to encourage you to stop your pilgrimage because man, gently caress becoming human, what'd good are humans anyway?" it'd be less "The only one who ever understood your pain" and more "Holy poo poo, kill it".

Yeah, the logical conclusion would be "oh, one of those smart Pandorans".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Well that's a massively unpleasant thought.
I won't lie, the only reason I thought of it is because A: Promethean does have some slight rules about pseudo-supernaturals being made as Prometheans and B: the underlying story thread is about the original Frankenstein's monster killing someone who was in fact a Promethean (made by his nemesis, his Pandoran bride) who managed to become human again, then reanimating her in an attempt to get her to tell him how she succeeded.

Sometimes even the non-Centimani Prometheans do really bad things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Someday, I'ma pick up Promethean and run it for a single player as a crazy introspective journey on the meaning of humanity and the progress of the soul towards Good.

And then I'll be very happy I did this.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm glad that this was the clip I though it would be before I clicked :allears:.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No, that's a list of who wants Beasts dead. (Or should, anyway.)

Keurig was talking about a list of why everybodyone wants them dead! :eng101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

I'm glad that this was the clip I though it would be before I clicked :allears:.

I'm pretty sure this is what happens in any supernatural community as soon as they realize there's a Beast around. Think about it: Can you think of any supernatural in the WoD that wouldn't be paranoid enough to *realize* that whole Family Feeling thing was going on? These are people who have to watch their backs constantly to survive, and who know there are creatures out there that can alter your mind and manipulate your emotions. Once it got around that Beasts DO that, not to mention all the destructive poo poo they get up to, I can see the arrival of one of these pricks causing everyone to drop their feuds and knife the thing before they do anything else.

Hell, that'd actually make their Sue Aura a neat plot hook. Have it be something that only works until they *realize* they're getting manipulated by the narrative, which they will.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zereth posted:

No, that's a list of who wants Beasts dead. (Or should, anyway.)

Keurig was talking about a list of why everybodyone wants them dead! :eng101:
Okay

• They remind Vampires of the Strix
  • They feed and cultivate spirits with negative resonances thus creating a feedback loop of suffering.
  • They remind mages of really really bad poo poo
  • They Get along with the Gentry
  • They Get along with the Centimanni
  • They're immune to Disquiet
  • They can form kinship bonds with Slashers
  • They remind Mummies of some really weird evil poo poo

wait

• They resonate with every antagonist splat in the CofD.

Night10194 posted:

I'm pretty sure this is what happens in any supernatural community as soon as they realize there's a Beast around. Think about it: Can you think of any supernatural in the WoD that wouldn't be paranoid enough to *realize* that whole Family Feeling thing was going on? These are people who have to watch their backs constantly to survive, and who know there are creatures out there that can alter your mind and manipulate your emotions. Once it got around that Beasts DO that, not to mention all the destructive poo poo they get up to, I can see the arrival of one of these pricks causing everyone to drop their feuds and knife the thing before they do anything else.

Hell, that'd actually make their Sue Aura a neat plot hook. Have it be something that only works until they *realize* they're getting manipulated by the narrative, which they will.

Well it's somewhat telling that 2e Uratha, who have a much more relaxed Oath and will take other supernaturals into their packs, will probably still not want to work with Beasts, except for maybe the Hunters in Darkness who absolutely love creating terrifying murder forests to keep people out. The Iron Masters, Blood Talons, and Storm Lords would make a habit of killing them on sight, and the Bone shadows would probably want to dissect them.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Basically the only Changelings that might get along with Beasts are the Scarecrow ministry, but the Ministry take the Beast's lessons gimmick and actually do it right: At their best, they are scooby doo ghosts who are scaring people away from legit supernatural dangers, like open doorways into the hedge leading to True Fae hunting grounds.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kurieg posted:

Well it's somewhat telling that 2e Uratha, who have a much more relaxed Oath and will take other supernaturals into their packs, will probably still not want to work with Beasts, except for maybe the Hunters in Darkness who absolutely love creating terrifying murder forests to keep people out. The Iron Masters, Blood Talons, and Storm Lords would make a habit of killing them on sight, and the Bone shadows would probably want to dissect them.
And even HoD would probably be only cool with Beasts until they pop over into the Shadow and see that the spiritual landscape has turned into an unmanageable tangle of fear-hunger-horror-suffering, at which point they probably decide letting the Scooby Gang gently caress around in Old Man Jenkins's cabin is a lesser evil.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Basically the only Changelings that might get along with Beasts are the Scarecrow ministry, but the Ministry take the Beast's lessons gimmick and actually do it right: At their best, they are scooby doo ghosts who are scaring people away from legit supernatural dangers, like open doorways into the hedge leading to True Fae hunting grounds.
Yeah exactly, and even then, Scarecrow Ministry Changelings are still going to look at Beasts and immediately cotton to the difference between being dressing up like Pennywise for Halloween and being John Wayne Gacy.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ZeroCount posted:

I'm just confused as to how an evil jock became a Beast instead of a Hero.

Mors Rattus posted:

Like one of the core stories about Chinese dragons is about how a lady raised five baby dragons and when she died they all mourned her so deeply that they came together, turned into humans and buried her with such ceremony that she was made into a goddess for her virtue in raising such excellent dragon-sons.

Chinese dragons are about as evil as Western (New Testament) angels, to my knowledge.

Now a Japanese Beast whose Horror looks like a multi-headed snake...

Mors Rattus posted:

Most Hunter groups even have an answer baked in, because 'why do we hunt' is kind of the core question of any Hunter group.

VASCU, of course, has the best answer: 'Well, sir, we have a warrant for your arrest, signed by a judge. If you will surrender and let us take you in, this doesn't have to end with anyone dying. Please do not spit fire at us, or we will be forced to defend ourselves.'

Please tell me VASCU has anti-splat pepper spray or tasers.

Nessus posted:

I think Jojo's requires a fundamentally narrativist system because the whole conceit is more like a mix of bullshit artist and rock paper scissors than quantifiable power levels. Like sure, some Stands are obviously more generally useful than others, but their idiosyncracies is almost the point.
Part 4 starts fully realizing how hosed-up and weird Stand powers can get, as well as having a narrative closer to a Persona game. Jotaro does appear, but he's a supporting character to his uncle, who is 17 years old.

The only thing you could probably quantify in such a game is the cunning and flexibility of the Stand user.

Night10194 posted:

Ever wondered why most mad scientists are Germans with a thick accent? Now you know.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Kurieg posted:

• They resonate with every antagonist splat in the CofD.

I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a bit in there about how the God Machine likes Beasts and thinks they're the only puny mortals that really get it on a deep level and likes to take them for rides on it's pony and go out for ice-cream.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Doresh posted:

Please tell me VASCU has anti-splat pepper spray or tasers.

That's Task Force Valkyrie's schtick, VASCU's schtick is psychic powers granted by radical drug therapy. They can do stuff like force you to answer questions truthfully in an interview, which really cuts through the bullshit when you need to prove a murder that your partner watched happen after the fact.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Wait, this Boleslav guy and his terror regime spanning one village reminds me of something... didn't Changing Breeds have this example character of a rich French horse dude who ruled over his little town with an iron hoof and indulged in droit du seigneur (aka he's the pimp king of harem town)? Apprently White Wolf / Onyx Path believes that parts of Europe is some kind of medieval, post-apocalyptic wasteland where might makes right.

wiegieman posted:

That's Task Force Valkyrie's schtick, VASCU's schtick is psychic powers granted by radical drug therapy. They can do stuff like force you to answer questions truthfully in an interview, which really cuts through the bullshit when you need to prove a murder that your partner watched happen after the fact.

Excellent.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 14, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doresh posted:

Wait, this Boleslav guy and his terror regime spanning one village reminds me of something... didn't Changing Breeds have this example character of a rich French horse dude who ruled over his little town with an iron hoof and indulged in droit du seigneur (aka he's the pimp king of harem town)? Apprently White Wolf / Onyx Path believes that all of Europe is some kind of medieval, post-apocalyptic wasteland where might makes right.

Yuup

quote:

At first, the young Felipe believed that his ancestors shared the blood of the old Spanish royal family. On his 16th birthday, his grandfather awoke in Felipe the dormant potential of his kingly blood. On the pretext of having the boy assist with the midnight birth of a foal, the elder Bandaris summoned Felipe to the birthing stable. Once the boy arrived, the old man shoved him into a stall and followed him inside, a heavy training whip coiled in his hand. Without a word of explanation, Felipe’s once-kindly grandfather lashed him with the whip, driving the panicked boy from one end of the large stall to the other, giving him no rest from the relentless swish and crack of the whip.
Felipe tried to protect himself. His grandfather (who had obviously gone mad) only directed the whip to areas the boy could not protect. Then Felipe felt a stinging slash sharper than the others: he felt hot sticky wetness trickle down his arm from where the whip had broken the skin. A voice within him said, This is the blood of kings. Be now a king, and Felipe felt something inside give way as his battered body twisted and swelled, his hands hardening into hooves, his body growing larger and more powerful. With an angry snort, he reared up on his hind legs and batted the air just inches from his grandfather’s face with his fore hooves. His grandfather dropped the whip and fell to his knees.
“The blood of the Bandaris Andalusians runs true. We have an heir!”

quote:

As an added perk to his position, Felipe enjoys the droit de seigneur, or “lord’s right” among the residents of the villages adjoining the Bandaris farm and among the young mares in the family’s herd. Several children in the towns of La Palla and Sangrillo bear a distinct resemblance to Felipe. Should any of them show a kinship with the family Gift, the lucky ones will find themselves literally saddled with a new family, new responsibilities and the searing inner fire that marks the bloodline of the mighty Andalusians and their human counterparts.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

So be it. You know what was always missing from Princess? Having an example location that was literally the town from Princess Tutu. Let's make it a suburb of Bremen.

"Honey, why are there talking, bipedal animals in this city?"
"I dunno. I guess that's why the rent is so low."

Doresh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 14, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doresh posted:

Excellent.

Valkyrie's thing is borderline sci-fi tech and adapting technology to target and prey on splats via a scientific understanding of how they tick - employing masers against vampires, for example, because Valkyrie's figured out the unique metabolism and physiology of vampires and how to make that metabolism self-destruct in graphic fashion.

Also, Beasts forming kinship bonds with Slashers is... not a good thing. Slashers are something like Heroes in Beast - they're killers, compulsive killers because there's something fundamentally broken inside of them. Your basic Slashers are merely serial killers - eccentric, quirky, extraordinarily capable serial killers, but basically human at the end of the day. Scourges... are not. Scourges are not human, and have truly supernatural abilities that make them terrifyingly effective killers. Slasher even suggests that some mythological heroes like Hercules and Gilgamesh may have been Slashers. Slashers can, after all, at times channel their need to kill towards people who may very well warrant death - the Punisher could be easily done in the World of Darkness as a Slasher of the Avenger variety.

Beasts are, even more than most supernatural splats, likely to be very poorly prepared for dealing with a Slasher. Good luck with all those cutesy mental tricks and whatnot if you're dealing with the likes of a Legend, Maniac, or especially a Mask. Masks do not talk. Masks do not communicate. Masks barely even think. What they do is kill, and they are very, very good at it. Jason Voorhees is a prototypical Mask, for example.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Masks also only take one bashing damage from any source at any given time, no matter the cause. They are also compelled to kill everything around them because the sheer presence of life offends them. So no matter how many fancy powers you have, you might as well be marching your army into Siberia the first week of December.

...man, a Father Winter-style Mask would be cool.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Valkyrie's thing is borderline sci-fi tech and adapting technology to target and prey on splats via a scientific understanding of how they tick - employing masers against vampires, for example, because Valkyrie's figured out the unique metabolism and physiology of vampires and how to make that metabolism self-destruct in graphic fashion.

So they're the cops from Kamen Rider Kuuga, who towards the end figured out that a much better alternative to "have the weirdo in the costume kick the monster so hard it explodes like a friggin' nuke" was to develop bullets that cancelled the monster's healing factor by exploding with just the right timing to throw them off.

Mmh, do wait for 2nd edition Hunter or not, that is the question...

quote:

Beasts are, even more than most supernatural splats, likely to be very poorly prepared for dealing with a Slasher. Good luck with all those cutesy mental tricks and whatnot if you're dealing with the likes of a Legend, Maniac, or especially a Mask. Masks do not talk. Masks do not communicate. Masks barely even think. What they do is kill, and they are very, very good at it. Jason Voorhees is a prototypical Mask, for example.

Now I'm picturing a particularly sweet and whimiscal Beast girl hanging out with Jason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mors Rattus posted:

My understanding is that at least the Mage crossover part was largely written by a Mage writer who was under the impression (correctly) that Beasts were basically the bad guys.

It was written by me, the Mage Developer. That section of crossover notes was split between me and Travis (the Geist Developer). I wrote all of mine from the perspective that Beasts are kinda hilariously evil; I did Mage, Promethean, and Mummy.

And yeah, the Promethean bit is the result of the game's "cheerleaders for inhumanity" meeting everything about Promethean: The Created. Most other splat relations, you can see how maybe a Beast would get along with them, but Promethean and Changeling? Everything Beasts try to encourage is counter to Prometheans' or changelings' interests, and they should look horrifying.