Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Savage.

Shame on you Derek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This was one of those kids who's only rebuttal in school was "I am rubber you are glue" and got his butt kicked on the bus on a daily basis.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: Check out this cool picture

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So wait, SQ42 prelude doesn't have aliens in it because of quality issues surrounding the alien models.

So the first part of SQ42 before you go on to fight aliens will be a fight against fellow humans.

Just.

Like.

Freespace.

Two.

Ben must be livid.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

orcinus posted:

Or incredibly nonexistent.

I thought she was hidding in his pocket in glorious 577 ppi?

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Lol I like how they use unbiased in the exact opposite way of what it means.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Breetai posted:

So wait, SQ42 prelude doesn't have aliens in it because of quality issues surrounding the alien models.

So the first part of SQ42 before you go on to fight aliens will be a fight against fellow humans.

Just.

Like.

Freespace.

Two.

Ben must be livid.

Fight?
What made you think that.
Its you in space bootcamp, where you have to do what the space drill master tells you for 3 hours until you graduate.
Prepare to see your bed and bunk more than ever before!

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

The Titanic posted:

This was one of those kids who's only rebuttal in school was "I am rubber you are glue" and got his butt kicked on the bus on a daily basis.

it sounds a bit like he bounded with chris roberts head of security detail, he certainly employs similiar style of rhetorics

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

orcinus posted:

Or incredibly nonexistent.

Shes actually pretty decent looking from what I saw on her twitter. Purple hair though, so theres that.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

:laffo:

Sad little Derek.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

happyhippy posted:

Fight?
What made you think that.
Its you in space bootcamp, where you have to do what the space drill master tells you for 3 hours until you graduate.
Prepare to see your bed and bunk more than ever before!

So it'll be like their previous tutorial.

I mean in that it won't work.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/786297264234909696

Screenshot for Samizdata

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

orcinus posted:

Wut dat?

Looks like Titanlfall 2.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

JB50 posted:

Shes actually pretty decent looking from what I saw on her twitter. Purple hair though, so theres that.

You're thinking of Ken Bone's wife.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

orcinus posted:

Star Citizen: Check out this cool picture

Well, they're in the business of selling jpegs, so...

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

A Neurotic Jew posted:

just gonna post the whole thing cause its good

http://askagamedev.tumblr.com/post/151797723437/weekly-video-analysis-3-star-citizens

quote:

Weekly Video Analysis #3: Star Citizen’s Procedural Planets

I’ve been asked via my twitter to take a look at a number of videos, but most of them are just marketing fluff and don’t have much analysis to actually do. This week’s, however, is a recent demo that was shown at CitizenCon 2016, this past weekend. In it, the Star Citizen guys showed off some gameplay on a planet named Leir III. For those who haven’t seen it, here’s the video. Fair warning, it is kind of long.

The guys behind Star Citizen announced a few things at CitizenCon - their single player module is being delayed, there’s a new ship coming that you’ll be able to buy for $750, and some new features for the game like procedurally generated planets. That’s what we’ll be looking at today.

Procedurally generated content is content that’s generated by machines instead of humans. There are always tradeoffs to this - the machines don’t have any sense of aesthetics or pacing. They have very limited forms of creativity, typically limited to a random number generator. They cannot recognize fun when it occurs. However, they never get tired and can complete their tasks extremely quickly, which is why we rely on them. They can quickly populate an entire planet with landmarks and reasonable-looking terrain, and that’s what Star Citizen is using it for.

That said, let’s take a look at the demo. You should take note of what isn’t there, because that’s just as important as what is. Looking at the planet of Leir III, it’s got mountains, it’s got valleys, it’s got snow, rocks, foliage, water and more. It looks reasonably pretty, as most demos should be. But do you see what it doesn’t have? It doesn’t have points of interest. It doesn’t have landmarks. It doesn’t have interesting things to do.

Throughout the entire 30 minute video, there’s exactly one quest on the entire planet, that’s accessed through the one landing point. And, while on the quest, you’re treated to some of these neat cinematic cut-aways to showcase the enemies nearby, hiding in the nearby areas. Those cinematics certainly aren’t procedurally generated - they’re all hand-made. The enemies aren’t procedural either, they’ve been placed by hand as well. That leads me to think that the rest of the points of interest - the little doohickeys the player interacted with were also placed by hand. That sand worm, those cuts, those were all placed there just for the demo and almost certainly won’t be procedurally generated.

This leads me to the set of speculations. If they procedurally generate the planets, what does that mean for the content? Exploration isn’t particularly fun if there isn’t anything to actually do. Even No Man’s Sky had the option to collect resources and use them to build your ship and do stuff. Imagine playing No Man’s Sky, but without even that to do. Just going to a planet and looking at how it’s different might be fun for the first few minutes, but it gets boring pretty quickly without some sort of objectives to accomplish and rewards to obtain. Look at the demo - you can see that the majority of the time is spent traveling from location to location. Sure, it looks very pretty the first time. But after you get used to seeing the environments on the planets (since they will look very similar), will it still be as interesting to you? Will the fiftieth planet be as interesting to drive across as the first? It might be purple instead of brown, and have more trees. Is that enough to be interesting?

Of course, they could try to solve this by procedurally generating quests/resources/enemies/collectables/etc. as well as the planetary geometry. This is what games like Diablo do - it procedurally generates maps from predesigned puzzle pieces and then populates them with a random assortment of monsters, shrines, lootable objects, and so on. They can then select some tasks from a list for you to do and set the system to randomly place the collectable items and interactable objects along with the regular terrain for you to complete the tasks. This lends itself well to the common MMOG-ish fetch/kill quests - kill ten rats, bring back eight skinned bear asses, click on six separate foozles on the map someplace, and so on.

If this sounds like fun to you, then great! Star Citizen will probably be very good for you. If this sounds like it will wear kind of thin after a while, then that’s because it does. The biggest problem with procedurally generated anything is, of course, how similar-feeling it all tends to be. You’ll eventually see all of the variations on the tasks, all of the variations on the enemies, and all of the rewards as well. There’s really only so much time and resource that we can put into making content, and that includes variations. Procedurally generated content definitely has some basis for replay value, but only if there are tertiary goals that are interesting enough for the player to chase (e.g. Diablo’s loot chase). It could work for Star Citizen, but it’s still not something they’ve actually shown… and that’s worrisome, because a procedurally generated quest system is something that requires an awful lot of work to build, and the most logical place to announce it would be right alongside the procedurally generated planets. So far all of the Star Citizen videos I’ve seen have been about showing off the environments, ships, and guns, but not much in terms of objectives to use those ships and guns you collect to accomplish. Owning objects in space isn’t particularly interesting if there’s nothing to do with them.

Hold on.
That's not the fourth stimpire.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

chris roberts looks a tad saturated next to his washed out brother. the juxtaposition of hard work vs. driving a yacht in monaco.
the sun would comment about all that natural fidelity: colored hair & eyebrows, bleached teeth, tanned skin and whitened sclera...

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 15, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ManofManyAliases posted:

Will you guys Aurora LN GoonSwarm into the cap-ships of my enemies once the game is released? I'd like to think you'd choose me over them.

Sure. :glomp:

If it's a good game I'll play it. I don't care either way.

You'll have to come up with the creative callsign though.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

To be fair at derek smart. I too thought elite dangerous was going to fail.
I mean back then they were building star citizen competitor with 2 million budget.
While star citizen had shitloads of money. kickstarter alone brought over 6 million.
Oh how wrong i was.

Who would have guessed that star citizen would end up being wet fart back then?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

D1E posted:

Holy poo poo is Derek picking a fight with Braben now?

<sigh>

:lol: what the hell Derek. The Hague goona come after you soon.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 15, 2016

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

:v:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

How many feathers does it take to turn on the Sandi?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata posted:

Nah, I use SALR. The editor makes my life easier.

Yep, that's the one. SALR is great.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

He certainly tried, everyone can be wrong at times.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/266159145923801088

They can indeed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tuo posted:

Then maybe I am experiencing a bug. As soon as a teleport to one of the map, my movement speed is very, very slow (like much too slow for an FPS), and I also don't experience any fatigue, I can run from one end of the map to the other without ever getting slower, but the running speed is also rather slow. As soon as I enter water, I move at what feels like couple of pixels per second.

It's similar to what :pgabz: posted in a LoD video couple of weeks ago.

I'll see where I can post it as a bug report.

Sounds like a bug. Please open a bug report https://www.3000ad.com/support and make sure you are running the current GA build

We temporarily relaxed the rules

http://lodgame.com/changelog-archives/
Build 00.09.05.06 | 15-08-11

quote:

For testing purposes, we have relaxed the fatigue factor rules.

The issue is that since we unlock all weapons and items, and haven’t enabled the restrictions on how many items can be carried, grabbing stuff from the packs (weapon, supply, medical), especially weapons which comes with ammo, increases your carry weight, which then affects movement speed and fatigue.

We still allow the regular weight calculation, but simply reduced it to 25% of the total value. This gives a very good feel of some fatigue even at that maximum load, but not to the point where you’re constantly dealing with it. Sprinting from no fatigue to full fatigue takes about 15 seconds under a full load.

In the final game, this will be a non-issue once we enable these item carry restrictions and players can manage inventory items. You’re not supposed to be running around with a truck-load of weapons of mass destruction anyway.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

tuo posted:

Exactly. You are blogging about Star Citizen's demise, which means you are covering it on your blog with a couple of posts (which form your blog). You write a new post, not a new blog. A new blog would mean you create a new site for each post. Blog => log, post => logentry.

Noticed this misuse of the word blog couple of times, but never dared to confront the warlord with this. The again, it's splitting hairs, I know.

You guys are not splitting hairs. You're been silly.

"writing a blog" is analogous to "writing a blog post"; which makes them interchangeable.

Google is your friend. But here's one: http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/the-12-dos-and-donts-of-writing-a-blog

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

I would disagree. My friend has the little Zelda song when you get loot. It's cute and fun.

When she orgasms?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MedicineHut posted:

wtfdidijustwatch

An accurate representation of the hype buildup after Derek announces a blog post.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit shocked so many are clearly terrible at twitter. The date is on the tweet.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

AP posted:

They can indeed.

ah digging up the skeletons - but you are missing the best part where I sponsored prices for fan fiction.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

D_Smart posted:

You guys are not splitting hairs. You're been silly.

"writing a blog" is analogous to "writing a blog post"; which makes them interchangeable.

Google is your friend. But here's one: http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/the-12-dos-and-donts-of-writing-a-blog

So, by your train of logic, the coda to your last blog should have been titled: Epiblogue. :eng101:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

sorla78 posted:

ah digging up the skeletons - but you are missing the best part where I sponsored prices for fan fiction.

You quote anyone from 3-4 years back and it's easy to make them sound like an idiot, especially on predictions.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

You quote anyone from 3-4 years back and it's easy to make them sound like an idiot, especially on predictions.

Unless it's Derek's July blog post :smuggo:

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Oleyo posted:

"Dad, what are you doing?"

"I just need the long piece and it will all make sense.... do you have the long piece?! WHERE IS IT?!"

This was right after one of the penis pump video replies, and I misread it at first.

I guess it also makes sense from a tetris perspective.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

cupitor posted:

Apparently, Derek just got banned from the Frontier forums. Did Sandi threaten to send her Barista over?

*sigh*

It's a temp-ban that expires later today. Here's how it went down

So I login and got this message:

quote:

Well, this isn't a fun notice to read on our forums, dsmart. :(

The Moderation Team has applied a suspension/ban against your forums account!

You have been suspended/banned for the following reason(s): offensive language

Your suspension/ban expires today. NOTE: Infraction or advisory duration have a different expiration time.

If you wish to dispute this moderation action against your forums account, please send an email to community@frontier.co.uk disputing this action. Disrespect and unwarranted abuse will result in your dispute being ignored.

Here's why (below).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4634781&viewfull=1#post4634781

Then Marak (in that thread) said that SA was behind a paywall.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5?p=4634784&viewfull=1#post4634784

So I then copied and pasted the post from SA, with a warning that if I got banned, I was blaming him (Marak).

I got temp banned

I think I may have missed some of the words that they don't allow over there. You're not even allowed to do stuff like f*ck; because they say you are trying to bypass the swear filter, thus breaking the rules.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

"All of us have spent hundreds, probably thousands in this. Of course we're perfectly normal people who can give you unbiased criticism. Of course CIG isn't dragging this out just to make big bucks. They're having these monthly "concept sales" that cost ludicrous amounts of money so we have the honor of being a part of video game development history! No I don't care that the game missed every deadline and we can't get a working playable demo of anything relevant. It's... history. Come join us!"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

sorla78 posted:

Holy poo poo dude, $4k? Did they ever give you a refund?

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

AP posted:

I'm a bit shocked so many are clearly terrible at twitter. The date is on the tweet.

I j-just wanted to mmake a hague joke.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

sorla78 posted:

He certainly tried, everyone can be wrong at times.

So rendering an opinion is "picking a fight" now? You see? This is precisely how I ended up in a proxy war with a bunch of rear end-clowns.

ps: ED didn't ship with all they promised. So in a sense, I was right. But a technicality. :D :D :D

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

A friend recently dug up and reposted his FB post linking to this:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/11/star-citizens-pledge-for-your-ship-is-open/

The post is dated Oct 13, 2012.

The first comment on the post was mine, and says:
"Nice, but i'm worried it's gonna be just a bunch of pre-scripted crap."

October 2012, people!
:smuggo:

fake e: I still backed the Kickstarter. I was an idiot.

• Locked thread