Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, but this was decided like four years ago. For all intents and purposes there aren't any real timelines, but fans kept thinking there were and making a ton of arguments about it and making things more complicated than they should be, so Nintendo figured that for Skyward Sword they'd make extra bank if they billed it as The Start of the Timeline (even though a GBA game kinda already did that) and sell a $35 artbook that included a timeline they got an intern to think up for an afternoon. Still neat, imo.

I think you've forgotten the Zelda series' sheer love of prequels. Skyward Sword was no less than the 4th game heralded in marketing as showing us how everything began. ALTTP, OOT, Minish Cap, SS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like Warriors Orochi, something gathered them all together from across timelines?

Yes, with that something being a lady who got such a boner for Link that she split into two people and then started wrecking poo poo to get to him. I forget Cia's exact plan.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yes, with that something being a lady who got such a boner for Link that she split into two people and then started wrecking poo poo to get to him. I forget Cia's exact plan.

I can only remember the Hurl Warriors version of the story at this point. I think the actual one is something like, Cia watches Link through time and space and has a crush on him, but knows that in the end he'd never choose her over Zelda. Ganon makes her a devil's bargain which splits her evil and good halves. The evil half goes insane and invades all the timelines because that will help for some poorly thought out reason, while the good half works to stop her. I'm not entirely sure they ever really articulated how she expected this to get her a Link boyfriend.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 13, 2016

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I'm playing Wind Waker for the first time in over a decade, and I just noticed that all the houses on Outset have upside down triforces painted on the doors. What kind of satanic cult was Link being brought up in 🤔

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jsor posted:

I can only remember the Hurl Warriors version of the story at this point. I think the actual one is something like, Cia watches Link through time and space and has a crush on him, but knows that in the end he'd never choose her over Zelda. Ganon makes her a devil's bargain which splits her evil and good halves. The evil half goes insane and invades all the timelines because that will help for some poorly thought out reason, while the good half works to stop her. I'm not entirely sure they ever really articulated how she expected this to get her a Link boyfriend.

If there are any ladies hanging out beyond Time & Space watching me, don't start an interdimensional war. I like pizza and video games. Also set your sights a little higher.

As for Hurl Warriors, Setz is great. I'm gonna swap my av for one of her (his?) True Midna drawings some day.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In Zelda Crisis, Link Prime punches the walls of time and creates all the inconsistencies in the Zelda timelines (as part of an elaborate plan by an alternate timeline [where Demise didn't happen] good Ganon's son, Alexander Ganondorf.) In the end, all the Zelda timelines get merged into 52 timelines.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I'm playing Wind Waker for the first time in over a decade, and I just noticed that all the houses on Outset have upside down triforces painted on the doors. What kind of satanic cult was Link being brought up in 🤔

The cult of 'Bad Memories' and 'Few Records'.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Detective No. 27 posted:

In Zelda Crisis, Link Prime punches the walls of time and creates all the inconsistencies in the Zelda timelines (as part of an elaborate plan by an alternate timeline [where Demise didn't happen] good Ganon's son, Alexander Ganondorf.) In the end, all the Zelda timelines get merged into 52 timelines.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Guy Goodbody posted:

What timeline is Hyrule Warriors on?

Hyrule Warriors is probably not canon, or spread across multiple, but I think you can make a decent case that the conflict itself, and scarf-Link, are on the tail end of the timeline where OoT Link does go back. The games it specifically crosses over in the base story are Skyward Sword (the first in the timeline, well before the fork), Ocarina (the source of the fork), and Twilight Princess (which takes place in the child timeline). All the pre-Legends DLC never leaves this one branch either, since it also includes Majora's Mask.

Hyrule Warriors Legends and its DLCs messes that up by having a big focus on Wind Waker (from the adult timeline), and its DLCs including the DS Zeldas (adult timeline), Link's Awakening, and soon Link Between Worlds (both in the 'you hosed up' timeline). But since the story specifically references that taking place in a different world I think we can assume that the game itself takes place in the child timeline, with the Legends content being an explicit point of crossover, and the DLCs being even less canon than everything I just said.

I can recall this entire timeline off the top of my loving head, because I have wasted my life.

Soul Calibur II takes place in a stage in the child timeline where OoT/MM Link has grown up and had a few more adventures we didn't see, letting him hoard a bunch more crap. Mario and Kirby are both dreams of the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening in the child and adult timelines respectively, Fire Emblem takes place on another continent than Hyrule with most of them taking place sometime before the fork, and I can't find a Metroid reference in either direction to place it anywhere that I'm happy with for this gag.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 13, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd swap Minish Cap with Link's Awakening there. Probably Four Swords with the Oracle games.

I have the issue of the old Zelda comic where Link grabs the Triforce of Power from Ganon and then seals him off somewhere. Then Link becomes more aggressively violent, grotesque, and eventually grows a pair of boar tusks. Quite a few leagues cooler than anything in the cartoon.

Edit: Hyrule Warriors Legends has Maron as DLC, and she was only ever a dream.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cleretic posted:

and I can't find a Metroid reference in either direction to place it anywhere that I'm happy with for this gag.

Samus and Link were both cameos in Super Mario RPG, so Metroid takes place in whichever branch LTTP is on.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So was Hyrule created after all the needles were pulled in Mother 3? When does Animal Crossing happen?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

pee out my butt posted:

Samus and Link were both cameos in Super Mario RPG, so Metroid takes place in whichever branch LTTP is on.

Decline it is!

Jsor posted:

So was Hyrule created after all the needles were pulled in Mother 3? When does Animal Crossing happen?

A: Makes sense to me, and B: The first Animal Crossing game takes place sometime in the child timeline after Majora's Mask, as Gulliver references the events at Pinnacle Rock. The other Animal Crossings are strewn about the forks in ways that are unclear and confusing without official declaration.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cleretic posted:

It probably would have been, yes. From what I know they're working with the base ROM, which limits what they can add in pretty hard. Making the original Pokemon use wifi as a link cable is something for the emulator, which is far easier to rewrite.

It's the same reason Capcom couldn't backport stuff like swapping weapons ith shoulder buttons into the Megaman Legacy Collection.

Ages/Seasons already let you trade passwords via link cable.

Emulating link cable functions over wifi is actually pretty tough, so it's a shame that Nintendo went to all that effort for Pokemon but didn't bother updating their older VC releases with that functionality.

(Adding real-time weapon switching to the NES games would be substantially easier; I think the Legacy Collection games simply didn't want to alter the games.)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guy Goodbody posted:

Zelda, Motherfucker, THINK about that poo poo before you do it!
Fixed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like Warriors Orochi, something gathered them all together from across timelines?

Ocarina of Time is the first Zelda I've played, I was genuinely not expecting multiple timelines from this game series

Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda too. I played the original N64 one, though. You're lucky you got to start with the superior version!

Now, go play Majora's Mask.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Silver Falcon posted:

Ocarina of Time was my first Zelda too. I played the original N64 one, though. You're lucky you got to start with the superior version!

It'll be interesting at least, to some it's the best by far, to others it's near the bottom.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver Falcon posted:

Link Between Worlds was on sale at Target, so I already bought that one

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Cleretic posted:

I can't find a Metroid reference in either direction to place it anywhere that I'm happy with for this gag.

As mentioned, Samus appears in SMRPG, but also helps you hunt Metroids in Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Moriatti posted:

As mentioned, Samus appears in SMRPG, but also helps you hunt Metroids in Kirby's Dream Land 3.

More like you help her. Poor lady doesn't have the first clue how to freeze them.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Alxprit posted:

More like you help her. Poor lady doesn't have the first clue how to freeze them.

Listen, neither the ice-beam or ice missiles exist in the kirby planetoids so get off her back!

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Link Between Worlds was on sale at Target, so I already bought that one

Man you're lucking out. You're playing the best 2D zelda game right after one of the best 3D Zelda games!

Also yeah don't worry about the timeline stuff. A few of the games are explicitly connected to each other (Majora's Mask is a sequel to Ocarina, Skyward Sword is a prequel to everything) but for the most part, I like treating the series like Final Fantasy: basically a bunch of separate stories that involve some similar characters, locations, and plot elements. You don't play these games for the story anyway.

btw what'd you think of ocarina? I'm curious to see if it holds up well now, eighteen years later.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 13, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

youcallthatatwist posted:

btw what'd you think of ocarina? I'm curious to see if it holds up well now, eighteen years later.

I liked it. Really solid gameplay, nice progression of difficulty and exploration. Plenty of babes. I liked that there was a bunch of stuff I could do but didn't have to.

I only have a couple complaints, the big one being that there were times I had no idea what I was supposed to do next. Normally I'd be willing to chalk that up to me being bad at video games, but in this game they had Navi, Saria, and that weird glowing rock thing. The existence of three separate in-game hint systems implies to me that I am not alone in my occasional confusion. Beyond that, the Navi targeting system could be spotty at times, that could be annoying. And the idea that Link is the chosen hero seemed like total bullshit. In order to be the Hero of Time you have to be able to lift the Master Sword. Fine. But the Master Sword is hidden behind a fake wall, and the only way to get at it is to borrow three magical stones from three different races, and learn a song for the ocarina. Right away, you're limiting the pool of potential Heroes of Time to people who own a loving ocarina.

Overall, a good game that I enjoyed. It sold me on the Zelda series, and I look forward to playing the other 3DS Zelda games in the future.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I have no proof but I think the obscurity of OOT was an attempt to sell Prima strategy guides. It worked on my family!

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
It's not like zelda hadn't done bullshit obscurity before. Zelda 1 is a crash course in how not to design puzzles

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

In order to be the Hero of Time you have to be able to lift the Master Sword. Fine. But the Master Sword is hidden behind a fake wall, and the only way to get at it is to borrow three magical stones from three different races, and learn a song for the ocarina. Right away, you're limiting the pool of potential Heroes of Time to people who own a loving ocarina.

When you're considering that the thing protected by that massive key system is 'an alternate world and potential godhood', one can say 'they didn't go far enough'. The point was not the Hero. It was the Triforce and the Sacred Realm. The only reason Ganondorf managed to do what he did was because the Master Sword apparently decided 'hey, you're worthy to enter, but you're not old enough. I'll freeze you till you are'-giving Ganondorf a free pass inside. Who knows what might have happened if he hadn't been frozen?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If he hadn't been frozen Gannondorf would've curbstomped him and ruled forever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

well why not posted:

If he hadn't been frozen Gannondorf would've curbstomped him and ruled forever.

And while Ganondorf's not really out of play in the ending where Link gets sent back, Link is at that point an experienced adventurer with combat experience against a far stronger version of Ganondorf. He can probably do a decent job fending him off, if not as well as he could as Adult Link. And that's without giving Link the edge of going off and taking part in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber of evil-fighting that is Majora's Mask. Ganondorf was going off in completely the other direction in search for something totally different when Link opened the Door of Time, so reasonably he's got time to prepare.

...Although that does kind of raise a question now that I think about it. Link opened the pathway to the Sacred Realm when he took out the Master Sword, and Ganondorf exploited that opening while Link was off growing in his sleep. So was the Triforce just, like... there for the taking for anyone who cared to look?

I'm sure, reasonably, there was probably more to it and I just forgot some lines of dialog around somewhere. But I honestly kind of like the mental image that there was a couple months there when literally anybody could've taken the Triforce, but we were saved by nobody actually going to the Temple of Time to see it. Its grounds don't look like a place that gets a lot of public attention and care, after all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

...Although that does kind of raise a question now that I think about it. Link opened the pathway to the Sacred Realm when he took out the Master Sword, and Ganondorf exploited that opening while Link was off growing in his sleep. So was the Triforce just, like... there for the taking for anyone who cared to look?

I'm sure, reasonably, there was probably more to it and I just forgot some lines of dialog around somewhere. But I honestly kind of like the mental image that there was a couple months there when literally anybody could've taken the Triforce, but we were saved by nobody actually going to the Temple of Time to see it. Its grounds don't look like a place that gets a lot of public attention and care, after all.

I'm guessing he just nabbed it the moment Link pulled the Master Sword and got sealed away, considering getting Link to open the door was his entire plan.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes it was right there, and Ganondorf tried to grab it. But because he cares about power more than anything else, he only kept that piece, and courage and wisdom went to Link and Zelda.

IIRC child Link and Zelda do not yet have the triforce symbol on their hands.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don't think they get the Triforce symbols until towards the finale, no.

Finally got around to getting OOT3D and it seriously rules. I'd previously given up on ALBTW due to a couple reasons (i also found it really hard for some reason, not sure why) but now I'm keen to dip back in once I've cleared OOT. Then I'll probably play Majora's Mask 3d and, lords willing, we'll have some concrete NX news.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cleretic posted:

And while Ganondorf's not really out of play in the ending where Link gets sent back, Link is at that point an experienced adventurer with combat experience against a far stronger version of Ganondorf. He can probably do a decent job fending him off, if not as well as he could as Adult Link. And that's without giving Link the edge of going off and taking part in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber of evil-fighting that is Majora's Mask. Ganondorf was going off in completely the other direction in search for something totally different when Link opened the Door of Time, so reasonably he's got time to prepare.

I think it's pretty clear that the Temple of Time's security system is terrible. I mean, why even have the Tri-Force be in accessible place? The crazy complicated system to get to the Master Sword pretty clearly indicates that they aren't really in the market for a Hero of Time who can use the Tri-Force to create paradise. Just close up that wall permanently, none of that trouble happens.

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 14, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The way you get into the temple of time on Twilight Princess is pretty freaking awesome.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm guessing he just nabbed it the moment Link pulled the Master Sword and got sealed away, considering getting Link to open the door was his entire plan.
You hear him laugh when you try and pull out the Master Sword, so yeah, he was in there right after you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

youcallthatatwist posted:

It's not like zelda hadn't done bullshit obscurity before. Zelda 1 is a crash course in how not to design puzzles
:lol:
source: absolutely no ten-year-olds ever beat it before the internet existed, apparently

I mean, some of the hidden things were just hidden rather than being a puzzle per se, but NES era games were tiny and had to be hard as balls to be long enough to justify.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't think Ocarina of Time has aged nearly as well as most of the other 3D Zelda games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mabels big day posted:

I don't think Ocarina of Time has aged nearly as well as most of the other 3D Zelda games.

Agree for the non-dungeon stuff. I think the dungeons hold up as still being better than the other 3D Zeldas.

Didn't Miyamoto and his team purposely design Zelda 1 so you basically had to ask other people for tips to get through the game? I could have sworn he said that in some interview.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Phimosissy posted:

:lol:
source: absolutely no ten-year-olds ever beat it before the internet existed, apparently

I mean, some of the hidden things were just hidden rather than being a puzzle per se, but NES era games were tiny and had to be hard as balls to be long enough to justify.
Looking at a walkthrough, it isn't as bad as I remembered, and I understand why miyamoto and co. made these choices at the time, but there's still a ton of bullshit in there that counts as terrible game design by modern standards. Like, in order to get to the eighth dungeon, you need to burn a single tree somewhere in the overworld. There are no in-game hints whatsoever towards this - not even to the fact that you need to burn a tree in the first place! If a game came out nowadays with a "puzzle" like that, it'd be justifiably panned.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
:darksouls:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
But seriously Links Awakening taught me how to approach games via hitting every surface possible just in case. Took me 15+ years to reign that impulse in.