Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

They started to work on AI, animations, and other poo poo 6 days before showing it? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat, Roberts is scary. His smile legit makes me fearful for the team.

Not in a "ooo spooky roberts ooo" but in a "perfectionist boss displeased with what you're showing" way

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Catte taxes are the price we pay for star civilisation.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I think we should give credit where credit is due -- this video is much closer to the spirit of "open development" than what we usually get from CIG.

The fact that it is also a massive self-own isn't the fault of the video, but rather of the underlying problems in the game's development.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I've never actually been able to get through one of these dumb shows but this one was actually interesting and was able to hold my attention. If they were making things like this every few weeks instead of just sticking a camera in front of :lesnick: and :sandance: I might actually watch them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

EightAce posted:

It is now.

Are the cutscenes skipable?

I can't wait for the salt if those hours of cutscenes are not skipable. I also have a reasonable belief that Chris will direct his developers to lock out the possibility of skipping any of his magnificent movie.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

EightAce posted:

I'm saying no more because I now have my own hate sub reddit nested with dsmarts. However I hope the few remaining cultists end up penniless I really do. Self agrandising cunts who deserve to be fleeced.

You've got it all wrong. That is the perfect reason to say more.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

I've never actually been able to get through one of these dumb shows but this one was actually interesting and was able to hold my attention. If they were making things like this every few weeks instead of just sticking a camera in front of :lesnick: and :sandance: I might actually watch them.
When compared with their other shows and promo poo poo this one had much better editing and flow too.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
Pretty lucky they decided to start filming everything a week before.

But really, these are the types of videos they should have been putting out the whole time! Actually compelling stuff

Plural Abysss fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 15, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: Daring concepts in Powerpoint

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

I wish I was CIG.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: It's the game I imagined in my head

(okay, okay, i'll stop now)

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Holy Crap, Derek Smart was wrong!!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
That ATv is the staffs cry for help

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
also any studio would have just finished the fuckin demo and showed people but i doubt we will ever see it.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Hello.

I've got 2326 pages to catch up on.

I'll read the first 20
then the last 20
then the first 20
then the last 20
and repeat until I meet myself in the middle
that is the Smart way of catching up

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Raskolnikov posted:

It's basically this:

Holy gently caress. I haven't thought about pump up shoes for decades. Those things were the poo poo in 1990.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Also why were they recording all that poo poo

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, guys, how about those sandworms ehh?

Like and the not-mako, and the not...

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It looks like they used a new version/recording of Procedural Planets v2 for AtV. Will deliver hilarious proof shortly.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D1E posted:

Savage.

Shame on you Derek.

Derek has admitted he was wrong to be so critical in the early days of Braben's project, and that he now thinks it is a respectable production.

It's really huge for Derek to admit something like that, so I think he deserves acknowledgement for it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is the kind of "funny" stuff the least talented or unqualified person in the room says.

Way to continue projecting CIG as an unprofessional environment. :waycool:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I saw that earlier. Trying to pull a Kennedy about a loving video game.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

It looks like they used a new version/recording of Procedural Planets v2 for AtV. Will deliver hilarious proof shortly.
Commandos T-posing on their Space Bikes.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Raskolnikov posted:

These people are so clueless. All his points were valid from a development point of view. Yes, technically they are still in preproduction. But these assholes are such a perfect example of Dunning–Kruger effect at work that they will never know just how stupid they really are. It makes me angry! Angry on the internet! :mad:

I also laugh a lot too.

Don't get too angry friend!

It's shocking and frustrating, but when it all comes down 95% of them will be all "well I saw it coming, it was obvious to me :smuggo:"

The other 5% will desperately try to get the assets and code, thinking its 98% done and their amateur hour modding will finish the last 2% that prevented its massive successful release. :shepspends:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I couldn't help but notice that, while Derek was predicting Elite: Dangerous would not succeed, David Braben ignored the criticism and went about making a real space game with Frontier Development. So now we have an actual Elite: Dangerous, and what's happening with Star Citizen?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
That makes it four different versions of the same scene by the way.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

scrubs season six posted:

I saw that earlier. Trying to pull a Kennedy about a loving video game.

The only thing we have to fear, is FUD itself.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

thatguy posted:

Commandos T-posing on their Space Bikes.

I was scrolling quickly and thought that was Shadows of the Empire for the N64. My eyes are obviously too old for true fidelity.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
But guys, did you see the sandworm and not-mako?

buy something

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

See, I admire someone with a sense of humor and some style.

You guys crack me up. This made me lol. :D

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Game development is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That was the first ATV I've seen all the way through in years. Things we learned:

- Everything is Chris's fault. The "desert nomad", the sandstorm, the loving worm; ALL OF IT was implemented because Chris demanded it.
- "It's helpful to see little bits of progress early on" - Chris Roberts
- It's clearly a ridiculously scripted and forced demonstration.
- Project management and scheduling is a loving joke.
- They practically confess that they're working ridiculous quantities of overtime.
- They knew two days ahead of time that they weren't going to show Squadron 42, but didn't say a loving thing.
- "I saw everybody here working HOURS and HOURS late into every day, you know putting their time and effort into making that everything they could." - Jared Huckabee
- Clifford's fruit basket made it.
- CIG was nice enough to provide a complete timelapse showing how late people work.
- "Nobody else could do a show like that" - Ben Lesnick

It's clear that the guys working on this are busting their rear end off and desperately want this thing to work. I feel bad for them.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

The individual who refuses to defend his game when called by his developer, deserves to be a goon, and must be punished as an enemy of his game, and friend to her smart.
-Andrew Accelislave Jackson

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That was the first ATV I've seen all the way through in years. Things we learned:

- Everything is Chris's fault. The "desert nomad", the sandstorm, the loving worm; ALL OF IT was implemented because Chris demanded it.
- "It's helpful to see little bits of progress early on" - Chris Roberts
- It's clearly a ridiculously scripted and forced demonstration.
- Project management and scheduling is a loving joke.
- They practically confess that they're working ridiculous quantities of overtime.
- They knew two days ahead of time that they weren't going to show Squadron 42, but didn't say a loving thing.
- "I saw everybody here working HOURS and HOURS late into every day, you know putting their time and effort into making that everything they could." - Jared Huckabee
- Clifford's fruit basket made it.
- CIG was nice enough to provide a complete timelapse showing how late people work.
- "Nobody else could do a show like that" - Ben Lesnick

It's clear that the guys working on this are busting their rear end off and desperately want this thing to work. I feel bad for them.

What I take from it:
- Chris is The Man With The Money (and The Vision)
- The Vision is often generic and uninspired
- The teams are actually incredibly competent and capable given all the poo poo they're doing even though Chris is always busting their rear end (and the poo poo we've seen them accomplish in those demos with awful time constraints)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
That ask a developer thing is hilarious. An objective developer with no horse in the race says a four year old project is in pre-production and in its finished state may well be completely tedious.

Citizens rustle up a nuh-uh.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Inacio posted:

What I take from it:
- Chris is The Man With The Money (and The Vision)
- The Vision is often generic and uninspired
- The teams are actually incredibly competent and capable given all the poo poo they're doing even though Chris is always busting their rear end (and the poo poo we've seen them accomplish in those demos with awful time constraints)

And goons are the devil.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A lot of them are clearly talented. It's funny how most of the time the only thing holding them back from achieving success is Chris himself. His poor choices and decisions seem to be written in stone and then everyone is forced to try to deliver on his wild fantasies. It would appear that Agent and Ace have been spot on for the most part.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I think it was cool seeing a more candid production come out of CIG, and Julian Benson's articles were probably a big influence on what was shown. I doubt that prior to those articles Chris would have allowed that footage of him acting like a petulant brat hit the air, but since Citizen's went out of there way to praise his behavior in those articles it is now cool and good, and also STEVE JOBS ever heard of him?

I'm skeptical about this more "honest take" being motivated by the guiding principle of open development though. Instead it seems like CIG is creating an ever-increasing pressure or demand on its base to dig their heels in and continue to support the project financially regardless of output. Like when Chris recently said that his one worry was about the backers abandoning the project. And the endless celebration of the community at citcon. And now this video, which is sort of "confessional" but is ultimately about how the communities love for star citizen is unconditional. It's possible that CIG is going to begin using the vulnerability and precariousness of the project as a cudgel against its most loyal backers to get every last cent out of them before it collapses, and it's going to be ugly as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

scrubs season six posted:

People on twitch should just have a woman badly faking an orgasm every time someone gives them money, like Chaturbate.

Eh. Maybe... not?

• Locked thread