Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Thanks for your input everybody, I'm going to start A2 tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
X is alright on that, and you might enjoy it, but it wouldn't be one I'd recommend.

I'd suggest the SNES ones, 4 through to 6. They're far more DnD than anime, and even the most story-heavy of them are pretty cutscene-light.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
by pure chance, I happened to have a ninja Ramza who could walk up to the guy on the roof (I can't remember the name) and get his health low enough in one turn, so I didn't know trying to save Rafa was something that could be problematic until I read other people's accounts

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Viperix posted:

Alright, fair point. Let me rephrase: I liked 7, couldn't get into 8, and don't want to play a cutscene simulator. Might I like 10 and/or 10-2? At least for the $20 remaster price point.
if you don't like cutscenes, might I recommend FF1?

Realtalk: FF tends to get more cutsceney with each passing iteration.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dont forget tactics ogre advance

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
4 Heroes of Light is donkey dongs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Viperix posted:

Alright, fair point. Let me rephrase: I liked 7, couldn't get into 8, and don't want to play a cutscene simulator. Might I like 10 and/or 10-2? At least for the $20 remaster price point.

x has a lot of cutscenes. you should instead play lightning returns

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Gologle posted:

4 Heroes of Light is donkey dongs

Play Bravely Default instead.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Viperix posted:

ah, we;ve found the one person who will like FF1 more then any of the other games

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's divisive, but FFXII probably has the lowest cutscene-to-gameplay ratio of any FF since at least the PS1 days. Lightning Returns is good but god drat does everyone in that game talk too much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

i am fairly certain that if you 100% XIII-2 it is the best choice in terms of gameplay-to-cutscene ratio. I got 100+ hours when I played the game. (Then again, I think 50 of those hours were spent on Puzzles....)

And the game is designed around optional content and gameplay so you're probably gonna wander off and do other poo poo besides the story.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just picked up a copy of FFTA2 that I found at Gamestop. How does this compare to the other FFT titles?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just picked up a copy of FFTA2 that I found at Gamestop. How does this compare to the other FFT titles?

Better than TA1, not as good as T.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Viperix posted:

I know this is a loaded question, but here goes. The only FF I've really played is 7. I tried 8 a couple times, but couldn't get into it. I'm also not really keen on anime, so the more recent ones don't appeal to me. Should I try the X/X-2 remaster?

Play 9, it's great. 10 is also good but divisive and cut-scene heavy and it was Square's first attempt at RPG voice-acting and it shows so I don't know if you'd like it. 4, 5, and 6 are great if you can deal with SNES graphics and they're each pretty different from each other and got plenty of gameplay.

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
You guys are nuts! Tactics Ogre has been awesome in every incarnation I've played. I didn't grind at all in the PSP remake, but then again I didn't do that in Final Fantasy Tactics either. FFTA was like the worst of both worlds--tiny TO sprites and a small army size. Plus that awful character design and artwork.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
A2 is the best FFT game

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
if you buy game time at like 11:59 pm and then it goes over to the next day

does it count it as being a day of game time

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

bloodychill posted:

Play 9, it's great. 10 is also good but divisive and cut-scene heavy and it was Square's first attempt at RPG voice-acting and it shows so I don't know if you'd like it. 4, 5, and 6 are great if you can deal with SNES graphics and they're each pretty different from each other and got plenty of gameplay.

Just for a bit more detail on the SNES part, because I honestly think they're the place to look in the series for all reasons:

IV is the most story-heavy of the SNES games, and as far as game structure goes it's probably the most rigid in the series (you don't get any choice in who you play as or how you build your characters), but it's got a lot of variance and meat to it. IV's set party lets them make some really nuanced bosses built specifically to challenge the party it gives you more than any other game in the series.

V is probably the most story-light game in the series that isn't FFI or FFIII (which didn't even have protagonists), and it's got a really hefty and nuanced job system that gives you a lot of freedom in party construction and combo-building. It's arguably the hardest mainline Final Fantasy game, but not really for any bullshit reasons; it just knows how powerful you can become, and challenges that. I'm a bit biased, though, V is my favorite Final Fantasy and I don't know any game that quite manages to challenge the player as well as FFV does.

And if you know VII, VI will feel very familiar. They have very similar gameplay mechanics, structure, even the stories are pretty alike. It's got some of the more active and unique party members of the series which can be very interesting, but you're also very capable of just going 'gently caress that' and giving the biggest swords to the muscliest men and you'll be fine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/786991080210247680

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

A2 is the best FFT game

You're drat right it is

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Looks like FF4 is on sale for iOS and Android for those interested.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

So does XIV have like, a trial or something? I'd love to give it a shot since I've heard and seen a ton of good things about it, but it's got quite a price point to get into. And from an MMO like this, it's one that's only gonna rise.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So does XIV have like, a trial or something? I'd love to give it a shot since I've heard and seen a ton of good things about it, but it's got quite a price point to get into. And from an MMO like this, it's one that's only gonna rise.

if you can find the base game on sale somewhere for cheap, it comes with a month free, as far as I know, and that's probably well enough time to decide if you're going to want more of it or not.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There is a trial, and if you can wait till I get home, I will happily give you my trial referral code.

(I only need to refer one more person to get a cool item)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's a trial on Steam, Square's site and PSN. A Realm Reborn (base game) is $20 most of the time, though it was just recently on sale (and still is on EU PSN at least, maybe EU Square store also).

Don't get it on Steam if you can avoid it because you'll be locked into buying the expansions on Steam.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's literally a sale right now: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/14/final-fantasy-xiv-online-weekend-sale-pc/

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward Collector’ss Edition $32.48
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Collector’s Edition $25.83
Final Fantasy XIV Online: The Complete Experience $25.64
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward $17.09
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn $8.54

Remember to sign up at greenmangaming to get the actual discount.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

There's literally a sale right now: http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/14/final-fantasy-xiv-online-weekend-sale-pc/

The Complete Experience is the one to get for XIV and Heavensward, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Complete Experience is the one to get for XIV and Heavensward, right?

Yeah.

For those that don't have PC, the 14 trial is like 200k gil and level 35 level cap (they didn't update this on the website last time I checked) for 14 days. So you can check out a good chunk of the 2.0 story and try out advanced jobs.

If you have any more questions, the megathread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726685&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DO try to get to get to a goon server, it'll save you a lot of time in the long run.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cleretic posted:

In addition to a trial version, there are actually quite a few deals on FFXIV going on at the moment on digital stores.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I want to get to a goon server but I dunno what the etiquette is or requirements are. Are they at least a little on you about being on at least somewhat regularly, or can I just do things at my own pace, maybe I'm on, maybe I'm not? I know guilds tend to have size limits so I don't wanna sign up for something that has a minimum level of expectations that I probably won't meet, or monopolize a slot from someone who would actually benefit both themselves and the guild. This isn't really discussed in the OP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I want to get to a goon server but I dunno what the etiquette is or requirements are. Are they at least a little on you about being on at least somewhat regularly, or can I just do things at my own pace, maybe I'm on, maybe I'm not? I know guilds tend to have size limits so I don't wanna sign up for something that has a minimum level of expectations that I probably won't meet, or monopolize a slot from someone who would actually benefit both themselves and the guild. This isn't really discussed in the OP.

Server is population. From what I'm told, Excabler is one of the largest populations in the game and like a 100 goons with their own companies play there.

Nobody cares if you're regular. FF14 for the most part is a chill single player game, and goons get you gear and dungeons way faster.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The White Dragon posted:

Are they at least a little on you about being on at least somewhat regularly,

Haha no. The rules are basically: Don't be a huge loving dillhole, don't steal soil out of the FC chest and sell it. People are only kicked for inactivity when more slots are needed. I dunno about PBC or TPT, but DGKK has 465/512 possible members and there's several people in the FC still who haven't logged in for over 400 days.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well ok, I remember you helping me out with the nolvac server on PSO2 even if we didn't play any because I was on Ship 2 (10?) with my buddy. You seem like a good enough guy that I could roll w/ you, maybe I'll check out DGKK.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Haven't played in a year but DGKK was chill as gently caress when I played so hopefully it's still the case.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tae posted:

Server is population. From what I'm told, Excabler is one of the largest populations in the game and like a 100 goons with their own companies play there.

Nobody cares if you're regular. FF14 for the most part is a chill single player game, and goons get you gear and dungeons way faster.

There are over 1000 Goons playing on Excalibur. We have 3 guilds on the server as the caps are 500 players per. Granted, activity waxes and wanes with content updates.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae posted:

There is literally no reason to NOT get FFXIV with this sale. You are doing only yourself a disservice by not becoming engaged in this experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My general concern with FFXIV is that between work, real life and intense depression I'm not sure I'd be able to devote enough time for it to keep up. I know it's pretty casual friendly but if I'm playing an MMO I'm pretty sure I'd want to partake of the MM part.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean there's way too many games right now, I only started ff14 during like late July when there was nothing else going on. I'm probably not going to play it too much when winter rolls around, since apparently February is the next blockbluster month for some reason.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
brah imp do it, we'll join dgkk and log in like once a fuckin week :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tae posted:

I mean there's way too many games right now, I only started ff14 during like late July when there was nothing else going on. I'm probably not going to play it too much when winter rolls around, since apparently February is the next blockbluster month for some reason.

That's actually the role Shin Megami Tensei Online had for me way back when that was a thing. I liked it and I'm sad it's gone now, but it got most of its play in that end-of-year chunk when I didn't have any big games to play and just wanted to keep myself busy for a while.

I'm fine with XIV being that.

EDIT: So what's the gist of what Heavensward would offer me? I could either just get the base game for peanuts or pay a bit more for The Complete Experience (as an aside: that loving name when they're making a second expansion), I'm not sure which to do given all I really know about it is that there's an Alexander Voltron raid. And the Cloud of Darkness from III is n the game somewhere, but I'm not sure if that's basegame or Heavensward.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 15, 2016