Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/samuraiTV/status/786748700588597249

Tonight I learned that the Japanese subtitle for booyaka is "booyaka"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I'm real curious about what LU would have been like if Marty had been Mil and Hernandez had been Matanza. Would there have been a Marty at all? Hernandez could have certainly brought something to the table as Matanza as far as size, but the impression I get is that we've got something unique with Cobb in the role instead.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does this season suck because Pentagon has been mired in a shitshow fued with Chavo and Azteca?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Tonight I learned that the Japanese subtitle for booyaka is "booyaka"

Japanese has an entire alphabet for foreign words so they can easily just sound out the closest equivalent. Hamburger is "hanbaagaa" for example.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ICHIBAHN posted:

Does this season suck because Pentagon has been mired in a shitshow fued with Chavo and Azteca?

The season doesn't suck, it's just taking longer than usual to kick in with a 40-episode order. You can complain about the slow start, but lots of business is about to pick up.

Also Pentagon is doing just fine. His feud is not a shitshow because Chavo and Azteca are compelling characters, he's picking up wins every week, and he's the first person outside of Aztec Warfare to get a pin on Mysterio.

Maybe don't be one of those people who shits their pants at every spoiler report, and actually watch the show to see what they're presenting.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'll do what i want

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah I don't think Pentagon actually gives a poo poo about Chavo and Azteca other than "I broke these fools' arms once and I'll do it again if they come at me." With the Lotus Triad also apparently waiting in the wings, a lot of his angle right now is people wanting to come after him for past grievances, while he isn't focused on them at all. Which makes sense, at some point if you just run around breaking arms all willy-nilly, you're gonna reap what you sow. But this Chavo and Azteca thing clearly really isn't about Pentagon, it's more about Chavo and Rey.

And, I mean, people maybe don't want to hear this, but much as I love him, LU is never going to be just the Pentagon Dark show. It's never going to be any single wrestler's show. They just don't focus on one person to the exclusion of others in a "Roman Reigns push" kind of way. Pentagon is clearly one of the top dudes in the company - he dominated Matanza like no one else even if he didn't pick up the win because of the barbed wire bat, he's got the only singles win against Rey, and when Dario wants someone punished (Castro) he just throws them in a match against the arm-breaker. I think I can say without being too spoilery that there's great stuff coming up for my boy this season and no one needs to be having miedo for his position in the company.

But the show isn't going to revolve around just him. Matanza, probably the most dominant champ ever, isn't even the focus of the show right now. Even when Puma was champion and running hot, the show didn't revolve entirely around him. It's just not the way LU works, the show never lives or dies on one guy, and even the tip-top guys will take a backseat for awhile sometimes while some other blood feud(s) play out. Believe it or not, this Chavo/Rey/Azteca deal actually leads to one of my favorite pay-offs of the season and all this build is pretty necessary for that to make sense. Having Pentagon make a "guest appearance" in that feud last week makes a lot of sense since he had taken a loss to Rey and pinning Rey now plus the Castro match strengthens him up, and it also allowed the beat down by Chavo while still having Chavo be a chickenshit.

Just, in a show where everyone seems to eventually get a turn in the spotlight, you don't really have to sweat about how anyone is doing so much. They've got plans for Pentagon and they've planted a lot of seeds for his stuff already. But if you want a show where any particular person is going to be "The Guy" week after week, LU may not be for you.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
That's probably the best way I've heard show being explained, SRM. When I first checked out the show, I watched for specific people because I wasn't into lucha before and didn't know any of the names, so I picked my instant favourites from the first three episodes (Puma, Johnny, Drago, Fenix) and really only paid attention to their matches. I looked up the match list so that I could just check out the episodes they were in. (Then I went back and did it again for the few new guys I picked up on...) I missed out a lot in those first watch-throughs, before I realized I needed to go back and watch every episode, even if they didn't feature my faves. Not only did I get attached to new fighters, but there was always something in each fight that made it worth watching.

I convinced a friend to check out a few episodes, and they've already started making the same mistake I did ("____ isn't even in this episode, should I still watch it?" Yes, yes you should.) so I'm just going to use your post to help explain how the show actually works.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

StarkRavingMad posted:

Just, in a show where everyone seems to eventually get a turn in the spotlight, you don't really have to sweat about how anyone is doing so much. They've got plans for Pentagon and they've planted a lot of seeds for his stuff already. But if you want a show where any particular person is going to be "The Guy" week after week, LU may not be for you.

That's what I miss about late 90s/early 00s WWF/WWE. Yeah there was usually Stone Cold right at the very top, but at any given time there were a good 6-8 guys floating around the one big title scene who could believably win it at any given time. LU gets why that worked and adapts it into their world. They're also focused on telling a larger story with an ensemble cast and getting wrestlers to fill the roles they have written already, rather than focusing on a single character who drives the brand and stories are written around him.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah I don't think Pentagon actually gives a poo poo about Chavo and Azteca other than "I broke these fools' arms once and I'll do it again if they come at me." With the Lotus Triad also apparently waiting in the wings, a lot of his angle right now is people wanting to come after him for past grievances, while he isn't focused on them at all. Which makes sense, at some point if you just run around breaking arms all willy-nilly, you're gonna reap what you sow. But this Chavo and Azteca thing clearly really isn't about Pentagon, it's more about Chavo and Rey.

And, I mean, people maybe don't want to hear this, but much as I love him, LU is never going to be just the Pentagon Dark show. It's never going to be any single wrestler's show. They just don't focus on one person to the exclusion of others in a "Roman Reigns push" kind of way. Pentagon is clearly one of the top dudes in the company - he dominated Matanza like no one else even if he didn't pick up the win because of the barbed wire bat, he's got the only singles win against Rey, and when Dario wants someone punished (Castro) he just throws them in a match against the arm-breaker. I think I can say without being too spoilery that there's great stuff coming up for my boy this season and no one needs to be having miedo for his position in the company.

But the show isn't going to revolve around just him. Matanza, probably the most dominant champ ever, isn't even the focus of the show right now. Even when Puma was champion and running hot, the show didn't revolve entirely around him. It's just not the way LU works, the show never lives or dies on one guy, and even the tip-top guys will take a backseat for awhile sometimes while some other blood feud(s) play out. Believe it or not, this Chavo/Rey/Azteca deal actually leads to one of my favorite pay-offs of the season and all this build is pretty necessary for that to make sense. Having Pentagon make a "guest appearance" in that feud last week makes a lot of sense since he had taken a loss to Rey and pinning Rey now plus the Castro match strengthens him up, and it also allowed the beat down by Chavo while still having Chavo be a chickenshit.

Very much this, plus people sometimes forget that LU's structured very much like a traditional TV show. The beginning of the season is always set-up for what's going to play out over the rest of the episodes, plus the fallout from the last season, and then once Aztec Warfare happens things start picking up considerably, and then we start the build-up for Ultima Lucha. A traditional 'three act' sort of thing, Act 1 - Start of season to Aztec Warfare, Act 2 - Aztec Warfare to the build for Ultima Lucha, Act 3 - The Build to Ultima Lucha to Ultima Lucha itself.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah, this season is starting out slow, but there's a lot of stuff I like going on.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com/news-releases?item=122562

quote:

ATLANTA – Oct. 14, 2016 – Cricket Wireless and El Rey Network will present Lucha En Vivo, three action-packed, high-flying “Lucha Underground” live events in three cities this fall. For the first time fans in Phoenix, Houston and San Diego can be ringside for the blood-pumping, chant-starting, fierce Lucha Libre drama and excitement as the masked heroes and villains of Lucha Underground battle it out for wrestling supremacy.

Catch Lucha En Vivo in:

Phoenix – Oct. 23
Houston – Oct. 30
San Diego – Nov. 5
There will be two meet & greets with a Luchador in each city. Fans can stop by a meet & greet at a local Cricket branded retail store. There will also be exclusive meet at greets at the Lucha Live events.

“We look to tap into our customers’ passion points, and hosting Lucha En Vivo is just another way to do that,” said Tiffany Baehman, vice president and chief marketing officer, Cricket Wireless. “Bringing an event from the small screen to their backyard—and giving them a chance to meet their favorite Luchador—definitely gives Lucha Underground fans something to celebrate.”

“Lucha Underground,” El Rey Network’s addictive, Lucha Libre wrestling series from Emmy Award®-winning producer Mark Burnett, MGM, Robert Rodriguez and FactoryMade Ventures, airs Wednesdays at 8:00pm ET.

LUCHA EN VIVO! Fans can enter a sweepstakes at participating Cricket Wireless stores in Phoenix, Houston and San Diego. Sweepstakes runs through Oct. 31, 2016.

The grand prize winner gets roundtrip airfare and lodging in Los Angeles for two, $500 in spending money and two VIP tickets to the Lucha Underground experience.

But we’re not stopping with a grand prize, 25 first-prize winners will receive one piece of merchandise signed by a Luchador.

"As those who attend our show tapings in Boyle Heights can attest - seeing ‘Lucha Underground’ live is a spectacular experience and we are so excited that Cricket is bringing this opportunity to ‘Lucha Underground’ fans in Phoenix, Houston and San Diego," said El Rey Network President and GM Daniel Tibbets.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yes, they announced a tour a week away without ticketing information

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

or a venue

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
That's real weird! I wonder if it's just going to be a free small promotional thing or something. Like they do the meet and greets at the Cricket stores and then have a couple of matches at some other indie's spot that already has a setup.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Could just be sort of a testing thing? A few small venues where it doesn't really matter who shows up or even performs, because it's more about working out the kinks for touring? Still super weird, but I could understand them wanting to get them done before the holiday rush rather than having to wait until after.

What's the Lucha Underground experience they're talking about, anyway? The Nov 5 show or a season 4 taping?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Guess I should figure out if I've got the evening of the 5th free just in case this is actually happening

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

lucha underground still hasn't made any kind of announcement about this on their end this feels more like some weird corporate event than a real tour

oatgan fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 16, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thecubsfan's take on it:

quote:

Lucha Underground itself hasn’t mentioned this, but many of the talent saw the same mention of it I did and have started to hype it on their own social media. Everyone wants to know to get tickets, no one’s said how to get tickets. The press release went up on Friday, perhaps we’ll get more info on Monday.

If you’re close to those shows, my suggestion is to a Cricket Wireless Monday and see if they know anything about the contest or the ticket. There’s a good chance they’ll have no idea what you’re talking about, but there’s a slight chance they might be able to help you out. The reporting on this has said the tickets were going to be free, and it might just be a deal where you have to go in and look at some phones and they’ll give you a ticket for your time. It’s also possible this was just put up by accident and some deal didn’t get done – if LU isn’t pushing this by Monday night, something’s gone wrong.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/787885658102693889

That makes a little more sense - free shows as part of other events that are already happening, sort of like what they did with SXSW.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The underrated aspect of this is that there's a tamale festival in Escondido I didn't know existed before this.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Grozz Nuy posted:

The underrated aspect of this is that there's a tamale festival in Escondido I didn't know existed before this.

I just looked it up, and it looks like all the local breweries come out for it, too! I may have to hit this up.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just looked it up, and it looks like all the local breweries come out for it, too! I may have to hit this up.

Hahaha, 'all'. The greater SD area has well over 100 breweries at this point, if you go to Miramar and throw a rock in any direction you'll hit one. I don't think I've ever had anything from Dos Desperados but the others listed as participating are all good.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
A little more detail on at least the Phoenix show:

I suspect the lineup for the others will be somewhat similar although I think the Moth said he will be at least one and he's not listed here, so they may vary a little.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
LAST WEEK:
Mascarita Sagrada returned (in Son of Havoc's sweet sidecar) and totally failed to get revenge on Famous B, because Dr. Wagner Jr is a beast
Jack Evans failed to win the Gift of the Gods from Sexy Star, and Worldwide Underground and the Superfriends clashed again
Chavo was a dick and beat down Azteca Jr to rob him of his match against Pentagon
Pentagon and Rey and Chavo had a three-way match which Pentagon won, and then SUPRISE Chavo was a dick and busted Rey's knees with a chair
Something about a white rabbit?

THIS WEEK:
Matanza will have some Dial O' Doom action
The Trios Champs will be doing some as of yet unannounced thing
Puma v. Mil Muertes
Worldwide Underground is still probably pissed at Sexy
Rey is almost certainly pissed at Chavo (but still may be recovering from that beatdown)
Maybe we'll find out more about Killshot's stalker?
Something about a white rabbit?

Join us, won't we!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mil will probably regret absorbing the power of his jobber henchmen

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Vamp a litte extra gothy tonight

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

god drat vampiro is an ugly piece of poo poo

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
YES it's the Dial of Doom!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mulaney Power Move posted:

god drat vampiro is an ugly piece of poo poo

20 years of chair shots to the head will do that to a guy

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
goddamn Matanza is strong

eljackass
May 19, 2004

drat! Exciting match

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I love that "Rick Knox is a hardass with enforcing the rules" is an ongoing angle now.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Was Killshot meant to come out looking already injured, because between the plaster on his back and the complete lack of offense in the first minute or so it kinda seems like it

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ashikan judan posted:

Was Killshot meant to come out looking already injured, because between the plaster on his back and the complete lack of offense in the first minute or so it kinda seems like it

Yeah, he was still selling injuries from the Weapons of Mass Destruction match a few weeks ago

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
AR FOX

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
And here's ya boy, AR FOX

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, he was still selling injuries from the Weapons of Mass Destruction match a few weeks ago

Ah, I didn't even think of that because he looked fine last week, but I guess he only appeared in vignette

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

beat his rear end fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Who the hell was that dude? I guess we'll find out eventually

That look on his face when Killshot was hugging him was priceless too btw

• Locked thread