Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

English is always going to sound weird put into a film where it isn't the core spoken language. I thought it was all fine enough. I would have been equally fine with everyone (americans included) just speaking japanese though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I needed a bathroom break so I partially missed the scene where Patterson was introduced and I didn't realize she was supposed to be Japanese-American, so for a while I thought when she spoke English, she was making fun of English speakers. Kinda like how people do a fake John Wayne impression. But it was endearing.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
English was fine and totally understandable given the fact that it wasn't made in an English speaking language. Its the same when you have people speaking other languages in movies here. The James Bond movie with the North Korean villain had someone who absolutely couldn't speak Korean speaking Korean. Its dumb to criticize the movie because of that but I've been seeing it throughout the internet :eyeroll:

That being said, what a fantastic movie. My girlfriend, who absolutely didn't want to see the movie, ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Definitely enjoyed it more than Godzilla 2014 and it was definitely the closest we're getting to a live-action full-length Evangelion movie at the moment.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also I really I appreciate how clever their plan for stopping Godzilla was. I love that it wasn't just bomb him more and more. They actually had to be smart about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tsukiyaki Western Django is 90% Japanese people doing English line reads and 10% Quentin Tarantino in old man makeup eating beans and rambling about anime. I highly recommend it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Saw this last night and I loving loved it. This was way better than Godzilla 2014, all the actor performances were great and much better compared to the 2014 one (minus Bryan Cranston obviously). I loved the themes and the message this movie had, as well as the heavy political satire. Its gonna be very difficult for Western audiences to relate since it focuses so much on the Japanese government and how they slowly respond to everything. All of the early reviews I feel like missed the entire point of this movie, but I've been seeing a lot more positive reviews now that it is out here. Want to try to watch it again sometime this weekend if I have a chance.

bueracracy- an entirely japanese phenomenon apparently

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's even more noticeable with Americans in Toho's movies because, well, there aren't that many American expats seeking acting jobs in the Japanese film industry, so sometimes these'll just be people otherwise related to the studio- friends of the production staff and the like.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Look it's leagues better then Biolantte where everyone sounds like they're having a stroke.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 22, 2017

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

gfanikf posted:

Look it's leagues better then Biolantte where everyone sounds like they're having a stroke.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Not really a Godzilla fan but saw this on Tuesday and absolutely loved it. Love how they used the city as an actual weapon and there wasn't one single hero, just everyone teaming up and figuring it out. bureaucracy montage!!!!!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

bueracracy- an entirely japanese phenomenon apparently

Well I think the bueracracy in this movie is more of a commentary on how bad the Japanese government handled the 2011 earthquake and Fukushima reactor stuff.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Is there any significance to the fact that nothing really got accomplished until a bunch of the government officials died and the the government was whittled down to a relatively small group?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You guys catch the GaoGaiGar reference during the pumping sequence? The pump status readout replicates the Final Fusion Approval process.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's even more noticeable with Americans in Toho's movies because, well, there aren't that many American expats seeking acting jobs in the Japanese film industry, so sometimes these'll just be people otherwise related to the studio- friends of the production staff and the like.

That reminds me of something goofy I saw in an anime recently. They were obviously scrapping the bottom of the barrel for white guy who could speak Japanese because he was supposed to be playing an American and when he spoke English he had an Australian accent.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So did the guy who jumped into the ocean do that because he wanted to be eaten first? Was he hoping to commune with Godzilla down there? Did he become Godzilla?:monocle: I wasn't clear on what happened there.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just got back from seeing Shin; loving owned A++ 10/10 I need the blu ray where's the bluray give me 10

I got spoiled to his heat laser online, but seeing it on the big screen, and just the sheer sound it made was incomparable and just drove home how loving alien G was. Asides from the big wobbly eyed goldfish lizard form :v: Someone else on the way out commented they thought it looked like a pokemon, haha.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I was watching Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah last night and the two white dudes that are from the future speak Japanese, presumably because they come from a future where Japan kicks everyone's rear end. I don't speak any Japanese at all but they weren't distracting or anything.

on the other hand that movie also has that whole Major Spielberg bit.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

on the other hand that movie also has that whole Major Spielberg bit.

This is one of the best moments in Godzilla history.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

K. Waste posted:

This is one of the best moments in Godzilla history.

That film is an underappreciated piece of genius. It's a great follow-up of to the very weird Biollante entry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

That film is an underappreciated piece of genius. It's a great follow-up of to the very weird Biollante entry.

Yeah I agree. Both by the same director, I think it's a shame he didn't get to do more. The way he frames the fight scenes is outstanding.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Spatulater bro! posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone been to a US showing of this that wasn't sold out?

Mine was only about half full. 7:30 showing on Thursday night.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'm seeing it today - always nice to take a train into the city, even if alone and sick.

I'm really trying to temper my enthusiasm but y'all and my predisposed love of Godzilla are making it super hard.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope you enjoy it. :)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm really bummed this doesn't seem to be getting a UK release.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

So did the guy who jumped into the ocean do that because he wanted to be eaten first? Was he hoping to commune with Godzilla down there? Did he become Godzilla?:monocle: I wasn't clear on what happened there.

It's still a mystery, and I can't tell if this is insane but I'm watching for the last one. "Scrap and build" was pushed too heavily for the guy not to have turned himself into a tool to pressure Japan to get its act together like it had to in this one. He even took out half the bureaucracy himself. Plus, if they fail he's gonna get nuked, and I can't see anything else happening in that case besides him absorbing all the energy and taking revenge on the US for Hiroshima and Nagasaki. We can only hope to get to see those sequences next time, but it all seems to fit together, except I can't remember what exactly was said about him trying to warn people before he disappeared - whether he said there was already something down there or just that the radiation could make something like that.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Yikes, those two American agents. "I am a lethal weapon!" Or the not-Saudi dude - "Kiss, you guys."

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Just got back. Theater was sold out or nearly so.

What a cool movie! Both totally a Godzilla movie, but different.

Action Bureaucracy! Loved the camera-work in those scenes.

Music: Did it seem like the Godzilla theme got more and more Godzilla-Theme like as Godzilla did?
Anno: I've not seen all of Evangelion, but it seemed pretty Eva-ish. Not in a bad way.
Civil Engineering: Buildings and Trains finally get their Revenge!
Plans:That super-coagulent - Berry Juice 2016?
End:Looking forward to that tail situation resolving in the next movie.
Americans: Laughably lovely throughout the movie. "Nuclear Wisdom"! Hilarious!
Character:I hope Laptop Scientist Lady and Always-wrong-guy both come back in a future movie.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Movie was good, seconding the "lol English" sentiment. I swear one American had a British accent.

I also laughed my rear end off when during the drone strikes (or maybe after) the main characters were just standing directly under Godzilla's back lasers like "no biggie, just a few kilometers away from oblivion."

Also I just love that this movie successfully made me feel what the average cinemagoer probably felt when the original Godzilla was released.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Shin Gojira is dope. It's a black comedy of the most audacious kind. Like the '54 film married to that Arabian Nights trilogy from last year.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What a great movie. Way funnier than I was expecting it to be, and this is probably my favorite Godzilla design. He's legitimately creepy as hell.

The accents didn't really bug me at all, though there was a big audience laugh at the "when I'm President of the United States..." line. But they also laughed at proto-Godzilla, which I thought was pretty freaky and effective.

There are still some big gaps in my Godzilla watchlist, but this is pretty easily in my top 5 so far.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My girlfriend and I laughed when we first saw First Form Godzilla but I think it was nervous laughter from how loving disturbing he looked.

Speaking of which, when dude was like "Godzilla has entered its fourth form!" I giggled at that too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The scene where proto-Godzilla finally stands up is an incredible moment.

Before, things were disastrous, but there was also this sense of nervous uncertainty at just how surreal things were. Afterwards, there is no more uncertainty. Surrealism gives way to terror.

Absolutely awesome, in all senses of the word.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
Just saw it, I thought it was rad. Here's some dumb nerd speculation: I'm inclined to think that the scientist guy that abandoned the boat maybe became Godzilla as a vindictive widower. This loosely lines up with Shinji's dad in Eva inciting the end of the world to rejoin his dead wife. But I could just be a dumb nerd.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Movie owned.

I thought that by showing Godzilla in less-evolved forms was extremely effective in making Godzilla seem fresh and scary. We all know Godzilla, there's no real surprise there, but going from dumb, flopping-around Godzilla to huge, death-laser form made the latter feel so much more awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Shin Gojira is dope. It's a black comedy of the most audacious kind. Like the '54 film married to that Arabian Nights trilogy from last year.

It's really, REALLY funny. G14 only has a handful of morbid jokes, overall it's much more awestruck and mournful. But this was just plain quirky.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Something I loved was Godzillas eyes. They had this kind of dumb innocence to him. He wasn't evil or malicious he was just doing what he does. Mankind created this monster and he is just being Godzilla.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Pyswagoras posted:

Just saw it, I thought it was rad. Here's some dumb nerd speculation: I'm inclined to think that the scientist guy that abandoned the boat maybe became Godzilla as a vindictive widower. This loosely lines up with Shinji's dad in Eva inciting the end of the world to rejoin his dead wife. But I could just be a dumb nerd.

You know... we never found out what happened to that guy, did we? A lot of people would probably like your theory enough to embrace it (Lord knows, one of the most entertaining parts of Godzilla '14 was the theory that Godzilla was actually Bryan Cranston's character, come back from the dead for vengeance" bit), but knowing Anno and his style, I think Goro's disappearance is meant to be a mystery- all the matters is that he left a message saying "Do as you will" with what you made: either prevail or be destroyed, but either way, it's your problem.

But yeah! I liked that very much; saw it in a packed theater, because it was the only show today- people were sitting in the aisles. I was surprised how funny a lot of it was- as a lot of people have said already, there are a lot of bureaucracy scenes about what Godzilla is and how are we going to fight him and if we're even allowed to fight him yet, which should make the movie feel slow but never do, because of some crackerjack filmography, using interesting angles and different perspectives to highlight the hierarchy of the room, the absurdity of the situation, and the instantly recognizable faces of awkwardness, doubt, incredulity, total boredom, or the very special kind of frustration that comes with wanting very dearly to tell someone to gently caress off, but not being able to because that would get you fired. Just like Eva, these scenes feel like a very searing indictment on bureaucracy and red tape as practiced by Japan, but I highly, highly doubt that Anno is significantly proposing fascism as an answer to that. You can see it in his portrayal of the Prime Minister, who came off in the film not as some buffoonish obstructionist or grandstanding political animal, but just a put upon man who was crushed under the weight of his decisions and wanted to minimize the damage to his citizenry. He was a clearly sympathetic figure, but the fact that his hesitancy cost him not only his life, but three wards of Tokyo and a significantly greater loss of life isn't shied away from. Anno clearly isn't saying that organized government is a bad thing and never has, there just could be a little more cooperation and less red tape during certain moments- like when a giant goddamn monster is destroying the capital city for instance. (Plus, the fact that the Big Plan to take down Godzilla isn't just Japan's effort, but a multinational affair involving a lot of countries is so antifascist it's funny.

Modus Pwnens posted:

I thought that by showing Godzilla in less-evolved forms was extremely effective in making Godzilla seem fresh and scary. We all know Godzilla, there's no real surprise there, but going from dumb, flopping-around Godzilla to huge, death-laser form made the latter feel so much more awesome.

What I loved most about that was how the movie actually mirrors the audience in terms of response to the big G- When proto-Godzilla flops on shore, a lot of people are surprised and nervous, but he's largely seen as a curiosity or annoyance, even after the initial destruction he causes- there was even a big rally celebrating him and asking to protect him, even after that. But then, Laptop-Girl notices that he's radioactive, and people start taking him a lot more seriously.. but are still surprised when he shows up, in all of his glory, because he's mutating a lot faster than they thought. And then, once we attack him, we really see what he can do... I've rarely seen such a good escalation of threat in movies from "He's weird, but kind of cute! :3:" to "Jesus Christ we're ALL hosed! :gonk:" done so well in movies. Really, really solid work.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 16, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's really, REALLY funny. G14 only has a handful of morbid jokes, overall it's much more awestruck and mournful. But this was just plain quirky.

The key line in the whole thing is that the Americans coined the monster's name, and for a bit everybody's like, "Well, that's an interesting name," but then they're eventually like, "Ok, let's just call it Godzilla, it's not like it matters."

It's interesting, because bits and pieces of the movie seem obviously very votive of Gojira and its place in Japan's national cinema, but there's this undercurrent throughout the movie which is bitter and resentful. And not just about the obvious bureaucratic nonsense, but the pretense of "Godzilla." This great pop cultural metaphor and icon is trivialized. You can change him a million ways, but there's no 'mystery' anymore. In fact, the metaphor is already, always imminently in the state of being totally and thoroughly unpackaged and 'deconstructed.' So what's the point?

It's very poignant that it's actually the American film which comes off with this naive "New Sincerity" vibe, of 'reviving' a classic monster. But Anno and Higuchi go full-on post-modern with it. 'Reviving' Godzilla is pointless, the whole movie is actually about putting him back into stasis so Japan can soldier on into the unknowable, eternal "post-war era."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Saw this at Drafthouse tonight. loving incredible, love how they take ideas about evolution to a terrifying degree with this. It was a fantastic "return to form" thing that evoked a lot of ideas in the original yet still bringing in enough new poo poo to justify its creation. The cinematography and shots were just overall fantastic, I loved how much of an idiot god Godzilla seems to be, from his writhing gross first form to his ambling, blank fish-eyed trudging. The ending was similarly horrifying, if only for the implications. One of my friends said she'd never seen a Godzilla film before this one--not sure she needs to see any others after this one, it was such a great mix of political intrigue, opinion on nuclear weaponry, and our state as beings on earth in general. Maybe I just love it too much but man, this was a great Godzilla movie and I loved it way more than the 2014 one--this one gets that it's not just about seeing 2 big creatures fighting, and how Godzilla is a absolutely not a "hero."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just remembered one of the funny parts from the movie.

After the special task force bureau is assembled, and the one guy makes a discovery, shrieks while he spins in his chair, and then yells a bit and runs around the room with his laptop.

I love gags like that.