Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Fre:+1 Dan:-1 Sav:+1 Sup:+2 Mun:0
Potential: 2/5 Conditions: Afraid

Ah, yes, on whose shoulders falls the blame for the mission. Spade raises his hand to express the fruit of his ruminations on the subject:" Well, I think that-"

He is rudely interrupted by Ghost, who starts taking the blame for what has happened. Well, that's just silly. Maybe Nicole was onto something when she talked about this self-flaggelating. "But Ghost, you-"

He is AGAIN rudely interrupted by Feijiang, who also starts self-flagellating. Again. Even though she did nothing of the sort to deserve that! Nor did Ghost, for that matter! What is it with Surfacers and martyr complexes? It's clear that they didn't do that! Why are they being so stupid about this?!?

"That is ENOUGH!"

The shout from the normally soft-spoken moleman causes everyone's eyes to focus on him. But he's too upset to be embarassed now.

"If we weren't on the surfact I'd assume you had broken into a cave choke full of bad air! What is wrong with you? Why do you insist on laying the blame on yourselves? What exactly have you done that's so terrible?"

He points a claw at the team's leader. "Ghost! Your first instructions focused on understanding the titan's weaknesses, so that we may be exploiters of them! That is a perfectly valid strategy! When you saw that civilians were in danger, you switched our priorities to saving civilians! That is what being a Hero of Harmony is all about!"

He points another one at Feijiang. "And you! It's true, you were a rebel to Ghost's orders, but in doing that you wounded the titan more than anyone else on the team! Maybe you still shouldn't have done that, but at the end of the day you didn't really impede the team or the mission! Sometimes we must think with our own heads!"

He sighs exhaustedly."Listen I don't know if this is csonsidered rude for some reason by surfarcers, but... you are supposed to point out when someone makes a mistake! Otherwise, how can they be improvers? By taking the blame in Spark's place, you are doing her a disservice!"

"And yes, you are both knowers of this! That is why you keep dancing around it! Because the most obvious answer is the right one." He taps against the glass, towards the still-glowing form of the pyrokinetist. "Everything started going wrong when she lost control of her powers. The fact that they are that hard to be a controller of is even more of a reason why she must be careful with them! Heck, I'm pretty much fireproof and I'm still worried about her, she was glowing enough that I was afraid she was going to shatter my glasses and blind me!"

He regains his composure somewhat. "But that's not the point. The point is, Spark's power went out of control, they put civilians in danger and forced us to focus our forces on keeping her uner control. I should know, I spent most of the battle being a repairer of her collateral damage. The responsability is hers, not yours; yours is the responisibility for your actions, and at least in my opinion you acted like you ought to. Please stop jumping into the falling rocks."

You know what, this might be the perfect occasion to use Not so different after all
But what I say, exactly, depends on what I roll, so I will roll now
!roll 2d6+1
PXGentleman, 2+1 = 3

Second snake eyes in a row, ladies and gentemen. Revealing a weakness of me and my people: without our protective glasses, we can be blinded by powerful lights, possibly permanently. Also marking potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Feijiang, no! I-"

No, no, no, no! I didn't mean for this to happen! I just didn't want anybody to take the blame, I didn't want anything to break us apart, but all I did was make it worse. What did I do wrong? I just wanted to help, but all I've done is hurt people by being useless. I've hurt Spark, I hurt Rachel, and I- I hurt Feijiang. I'm so stupid. Stupid stupid stupid stupid STUPID. I'm worthless! I'm-

...Spade?

He's- he's yelling. I've never seen him so... angry before.

His words sink deep into me. I try to tell myself that he's wrong, it's my fault, it's not Sparks, it can't be. I'm the leader, and it's my responsibility to take the team's burden! I should be blamed! So why, why... don't I believe it? Why is it, no matter how many times I tell myself that, I feel like I'm forcing myself to believe it's true?

I don't want to admit it. I don't! It's wrong! Barbara's my team mate- my friend! She suffered too much already! She's... she's...

I stay silent for a few seconds as I feel my throat tightening up. I don't want to speak, I don't want to say anything, but I have to. "He's... he's right," I say, my voice heavy. "It is Spark's fault, and all we're doing is trying to take the blame away from her. It's-it's her responsibility." My throat feels like it's on fire, like I've said something I should never have admitted. "But that doesn't mean we should abandon her. Spark is still our team mate, and we should support her, like we support each other, to stop anything like this from happening again."

I get up from my beanbag, and walk over to Spade. I crouch down to meet him at eye level, and give him a smile, or at least, my best attempt at one, "Spade," I try to hold back my tears, "Thank you, and I'm sorry, for everything today. You're really a shining example of your people, you know that?"

I straighten back up, and turn to face Feijiang. Oh, Feijiang. How long have you been like this? I can't just leave her like this. I walk up behind her, her body still facing the window. "Fei," I say to her, in a soft voice, ""It's okay. You're not to blame, either. I don't know what happened during your past, but none of that really matters. We just had a rocky start, you know? It's fine," I wrap my arms around her waist, and lean my body on her back, "It's fine. I know we can learn from this, and we'll be better. All of us. Whatever happened, it's over now. It's over."

Hm, when did I start crying?

quote:

<Hugzilla> Comforting Feijiang
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+4 = 13

Feijiang can shift labels or mark potential if she opens up to me. If she does, I'll choose to add a team to the pool.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Freak: +3 Danger: +2 Savior: -1Superior: +1 Mundane: -2
Potential: 0/5 Conditions: Guilty,

"By not engaging you at all." I replied. "I don't need to." I said "when you lock yourself away in a prison like that all I need to do is build a cage and turn the key. " With that I channeled a lot of fire into the surface layer of the rock. It should with a little luck become so hot that any attempt to push through it would hurt like hell. By now it should be as hot as magma.

22:28] Ferrosol sparring with Miss Wraith
[22:28] Ferrosol !r2d6+2
[22:28] Ferrosol oops
[22:28] Ferrosol !r 2d6+2
[22:28] Krysmbot Ferrosol, 8+2 = 10
you take something from your opponent their freedom to move around. You impress them or surprise them. It is a learning opportunity.

"If you stay where you are you should be fine. But try to push through and I'll tell you now. It's going to burn a lot." This was turning out to be quite a fun training session I have a tendency to think of fire as just a bigger hammer. But there's so much more you could do with it if you thought about it. I just hope I was able to remember these tricks in a real fight.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 12, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1| Mundane: +1

"I-"

Feijiang is trembling. She's hiding it enough to not really be that noticeable from a distance, (Unless you were paying particularly close attention, of course...) but it's definitely enough for Ghost to feel as she's holding her.

She just stands there quietly for a little while, and her whole torso rises up and down as she takes a few deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out. In... And out. By the time she's finished, she's stopped shaking.

"Thank you." Feijiang gently puts her hands on Ghost's and pulls herself out of the hug. Then she turns around and takes a step back to put a little space between the two. Her face and eyes are still red, but she doesn't look so upset anymore. There's even a slight hint of a smile on her face. Or there is, until she says something else. "It's not actually over though."

There's a stoic, serious look on her face for a second, and the feeling of melodrama seems to float around her again as the words hang in the air. But before things can threaten to descend to where they just were, she moves on.

"You're right as well, Spade." Feijiang's small smile returns as she looks in his direction. "I was- I'm-" She shakes her head and waves her hand in the air, interrupting herself before she can self-deprecate again. "Oh, nevermind. You understand. You hit the nail right on the head."

Feijiang sighs. "At this point, we're just beating ourselves up, aren't we? There's not actually anything to gain by dwelling on who-did-what-wrong. Just have to move on." She glances out the window, then back at Spade. Spark's already done the same act we have. And so have Clatterclaw and Lady Waith. And now they're a step ahead of us.

"But I will say though. Jumping into falling rocks does sounds like a good time, though." Feijiang cracks a wider smile and makes some punching motions in the air. "That's a joke. Well, partially."

Then Feijiang looks back towards Ghost. "Thank you again by the way, Ghost, or..." She twists her mouth towards one side of her face as she seems to strain some mental muscle trying to remember Ghost's name. "Pepper?"

Feijiang stares for a second, apparently not one-hundred-percent sure if that was right or not. But then her mouth twitches into a dumb grin when something clicks in her head.

"Wait..." Feijiang looks up towards the ceiling as she does some mental wordplay in her head. "Ghost... Pepper?"

Then she looks back down at Pepper, smiling tightly as she seems to be holding back a few giggles. "You named yourself after the ghost pepper?!"

---

Feijiang marks potential, which means it's time for an advance! I'm going to choose two more moves for The Bull's Heart: Friend & Listener. Because of how much Feijiang has been Talking About Feelings so far.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Hopeless

There is a moment of silence as Miss Wraith is encased in a suddenly glowing piece of rock. A silence that was only broken, after a while, by a brief chuckle followed by clapping in the darkness.

"Heh, that's what I'm talking about, Spark. Don't think I can really incapacitate you before you scatter her essence in a pool of boiling magma. Well played." Clatterclaw steps from the shade, illuminated by the orange-red glow of the heated stone, as well as the flames of Spark herself, her garment hung around her neck and the claws hanging from it behind her. A smile can be seen on her face, too. Sure, it's not all that wide, and sure, she is still tired, and neither do her eyes really seem to be in it, but nevertheless, it still is a very genuine smile.

"I knew you had it in you. We yield." She scratches her cheek a bit, slightly awkwardly, before letting out yet another small chuckle. "But you know, I thought it turned out pretty well, even if it begun from a childish hissy fit", she diverts her eyes to the side for a bit, as if ashamed, before continuing "I mean, I had fun, at least. I hope you did as well." There is a moment of silence as Clatterclaw racks her brain for a way to phrase what she wants to say. Finally, she manages to blurt something out. "We should do this some other time too you know. There's still so much room for both of us to improve. I know we can be better than... than, you know. Better than we were, back then." She looks Spark in the eye again, and extends her arm for a friendly handshake of Making Up. Her smile softens a bit, too. "Besides, I'm getting kinda hungry. Could really go for a curry right about now."

"..."

"Umm..."

"That's all very nice and all."

"But could you please let me out now. It's getting hot."

quote:

Theantero: Miss Wraith gets a Mighty Blow
Theantero: !r 2d6+3
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9+3 = 12
Theantero: yep, that'll do it

I remove myself from the situation. Since this is only sparring, I fluff this as yielding the match.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Fre +3 | Dan +1 | Sav +0 | Sup + 0 | Mud -1
Potential: 3/5. Conditions: Afraid

I take a deep breath as Clatterclaw yields. How long had I been holding it?
Guess I was more nervous than I thought.
I look up to Ressiant, she's so cool and collected.
Here I am, practically panicking.
I wish I knew what she was thinking.
What she thinks of my new friends.

pierce Ressiant's mask: 2d6-1 3
Marking potential

I feel like i'm staring at her awkwardly, she's so hard to understand.
Sure she kind of let loose a bit that time she came into Gareth's and I got to know the real her, but when Ressiant is on the clock I just can't get a reading off her.
I sigh defeated, the last of my metal returning to me after fixing the power supply, absorbing back into my body.

"Re...Ressiant? I didn't want to ask before. What with the sparring and everything. And I know you can't let your guard down or anything...but...well I was wondering...if I could ask for some advice. You saw the mess earlier. What can I do? How can I fix this? I feel like the team is, well, not sure of itself. Most of my allies are either afraid of their powers or afraid of themselves. I was wondering if you knew what I should do?"

She'd had training and experience, plus I'd seen her lead teams before. I felt a little lost trying to keep the team intact, maybe she knew a better way than I did.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith, Spark and Vitreloy

Reissant nods her head in approval at Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith's yield, looking over towards Vitreloy.

"To be honest, Willard, that is something you are going to need to find out yourself. You can't force your team to get confidence, they have to build that up themselves. If it were so easy to build up, there would be many more confident people in the world." She responds bluntly, looking impassive even when trying to give advice. Well, that wasn't really what you were hoping to hear, was it? Maybe there isn't a lot you can do about the situation.

Vitreloy marks Insecure

"Good job in the sparring, both of you. It is clear to me that you have at least made slight improvements from how you were in the mall," Reissant called out to the combatants, jumping down from the outcropping she had been standing on. "The next step is to take what you have learned here to the field. Also, Miss Wraith, try and be more careful when short-circuiting electronics. You took power away from the entire base and were it not for Vitreloy's intervention, the security of the base could have been seriously compromised."

She pulls up her overlay and turns towards a random part of the wall, seeming to be able to find where the window to the observation area was. Ophelia's voice boomed around the Danger Room, with Reissant looking unimpressed.

"Great job with the battle you two. Ok, now the next spar is going to be between you three in the Danger Room and the other three in the Observation Room. You have some time to discuss who's going to take the lead before we send the other three down. Good luck and have fun!"

Reissant runs her hand through her hair, letting out a slight sigh before turning to the trio.

"Well, you have some time to discuss. I don't have any idea what Ophelia is going on about, but once she has her mind set it's hard to convince her otherwise."

How do you feel about this situation? Do you feel confident about fighting against your teammates? What about your own powers and why do you think she's making you spar?

What do you do?

Feijiang, Ghost and The Tunneler

Once the conversation started, Gareth and Ophelia stood to one side, letting the three heroes talk it out between each other. Gareth looks gratefully at Ghost, though looks nervously on occasion when the team gets particularly dramatic. Ophelia, meanwhile, seems to have focused her attention on the sparring match, though occasionally looking at the trio in the Observation room with a knowing look. In particular, her focus seems to be on Ghost. Ever since she's been here, she's been keeping an especially close eye on her more so than any of her teammates.

"Feijiang does have a point." Ophelia comments once she recognizes the main conversation seems to have died down. "At this point, it's a bit redundant getting too caught up in who's fault it is. Recognize it and learn from it, that's my motto. Ghost did raise a good point, however. She, and probably the rest of guys, don't have a good knowledge of what each other's abilities are. If you don't know what each other is capable of, you aren't going to be able to work well together." Her eyes glance over towards the match that has just concluded, a mischevious sparkle glistening in her eyes as she moves towards the console.

"Ophelia, what are you doing?" Gareth says nervously as Ophelia speaks into the microphone and presses a button.

"Great job with the battle you two. Ok, now the next spar is going to be between you three in the Danger Room and the other three in the Observation Room. You have some time to discuss who's going to take the lead before we send the other three down. Good luck and have fun!" As soon as she finishes, she quickly turns towards the three heroes in the Observation Room with a radiant smile.

"Now then, as leader Ghost, you're going to take charge of your team. You guys have spent a lot of time talking, but now is time to put your money where your mouth is. I have high expectations, especially after the little pow wow the three of you had." She gives another mischevious wink before turning to Gareth, who started to chuckle.

"Ophelia, I never really know what you're going to do." He admits sheepishly, smiling at her. "You heard Ophelia, get ready to spar. It might do you well to come with a strategy and possibly learn more about what each of you can do. I'll need to decide on a different arena."

Well, how do you feel the discussions have been with your teammates here? How do you feel about suddenly being thrown in for a sparring match? Do any of Ophelia's words catch your attention in particular? How do you fancy your chances?

What do you do?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"You named yourself after the ghost pepper?!"

"WHAT!? No! I just- I didn't- I mean- NO!!" I start waving my arms around frantically, as if I'm trying really hard to reject what Fei said. Are you telling me my name is a pun and I never even realized it? Is that why Ms. Gammon was laughing so much when I told her my hero name? Actually that should've probably tipped me off. Wow, was I always this oblivious? Oh, good, I forgot about Ms. Caldwell and Gareth again, and they just watched me have a breakdown. Again. Can I go one day, just one day, without embarrassing myself? I'm never going to get a picture taken with Ms. Caldwell at this rate.

"Now then, as leader Ghost, you're going to take charge of your team. You guys have spent a lot of time talking, but now is time to put your money where your mouth is. I have high expectations, especially after the little pow wow the three of you had."

Wait, she has... she has high expectations of me? I- oh wow. Oh wow wow wow. I feel- I feel incredibly nervous. "I'll- I'll make sure I won't disappoint you!" I probably yelled that out louder than I should have.

Okay, calm down. It's just your hero telling you that she has high expectations. No biggie. It's not like I want to impress her, and think I'm super great or anything, nope. Oh for god's sake Pepper, stop it, you're starting to sound like an nervous schoolgirl around her crush. Did I just call Ms. Caldwell my crush? Just because I fantasize about her a lot does not make her my crush da- PEPPER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WILL YOU JUST FOCUS ALREADY!

Right. Breath in, think, and focus. I need to remember I'm not alone, I got Fei and Spade with me. I motion for both of them to come a little closer. "Alright, guys. I have my own ideas on what to do, but I want to hear yours first. I figure it'd be better to bounce some ideas around and try to build up a strategy from there. Also, I need to know what you both think you're the best at, and what you think you're the weakest at. I'll start; I'm good at avoiding dangers thanks to my powers, and I have some experience with stealth, believe it or not. As for my weakness, well," I pause to sigh, "You guys already know what that is."

"And Spade," I crouch down to look him at eye level. I never realized how worried he looked until now, "Spade, look, I know it's going to be hard for you, you and Rachel are good friends, and you're probably worried the most about her, but don't worry, because I have a plan!" I look around, and I give him a mischievous grin. I lean in closer to whisper into Spade's ear, "When this is all over, you and I are going to attack Rachel with a surprise hug. She'll never see it coming, and with our combined power, there's no way she'll be able to resist. I trust you have no problem with that?"

quote:

<Hugzilla> Comforting Spade
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 11+4 = 15

Spade can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift labels if he opens up, and I'll mark a team if he does.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Guilty, Insecure, Hopeless

Clatterclaw nodded to the older heroes as Ophelia presented the plan, her mouth forming a thin horizontal line of determination. More sparring, why not? She had enjoyed the last bout quite a bit. Mulling over this new development, her ruminations were interrupted as Vitreloy descended from his observation post.

"Oh, hi Willard- you don't mind if I call you Willard, right?" she grabbed her arm and looked aside for a moment before looking back "Look, I wanted to apologize. You were one of the people that did really well in that mall, you know. It was us two that screwed up. And, I, I just..." She squeezed her arm a bit tighter, "am just so sorry. I know your brother is in charge of us, and this must have reflected really badly on him. I really am sorry for inflicting that sort of thing on your family."

She steps a bit closer. "But that's why we are here, right? To get better so that doesn't happen again. I'm confident we can improve enough that catastrophes like that don't occur again", she smirks just the teeniest bit, "or at least not on the regular, heh."

"Like, I know you probably feel bad about what happened too, but you were one of the better performers out there. I think you'd make the best leader for the four of us. It's obvious you have it in you."

quote:

Theantero: Comforting Vitreloy
Theantero: !r 2d6
Krysmbot: Theantero, 8 = 8

Well, I suppose this is more Support than Comfort, but hey.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Spade nods approvingly at his teammates acting so reasonably now, feeling rather good about himself. There must be something to the Chthonian method of conflict resolution after all!
Plus, seeing Feijiang and Ghost get along like that is so nice. They are such great pals!

He is taken somewhat aback from Ophelia saying that they are going to join their fellows in the Danger Room, but after a second he recongnizes that it makes sense, to both further test Spark and Rachel and to give them some practice as well. Even though he's still convinced that Spark was the main problem, they can only benefit from a little practice, to at least get used to working together.

Then Ghost, already more familiar with her role as leader, makes a plan to help them work as a team. Tunneler nods along, in agreement, and is all ears when his leader addresses him directly.

quote:

"And Spade," I crouch down to look him at eye level. I never realized how worried he looked until now, "Spade, look, I know it's going to be hard for you, you and Rachel are good friends, and you're probably worried the most about her, but don't worry, because I have a plan!" I look around, and I give him a mischievous grin. I lean in closer to whisper into Spade's ear, "When this is all over, you and I are going to attack Rachel with a surprise hug. She'll never see it coming, and with our combined power, there's no way she'll be able to resist. I trust you have no problem with that?"
Wha-? What is she saying? How does this have to do with what she's said up until now? She's not like this when she talks with Feijiang! Is she-

Does she think of him as a child? Even after his passionate discourse about Spark's position within the team, that she even acknowledged as correct? Even after his contribution to keeping everyone safe during the mission? Spadertaal-Karaan is suddently very aware of the way she's crouching down to meet his eyes, of the playful tone of her voice. He feels mortified, but resolves not to let it show.

"I appreciate the sentiment, Ghost." he says, perhaps a bit colder than is warranted. "But I'm sure that Karen is going to be perfectly fine. She's a capable self-helper." He walks away, pacing back and forth in the room, standing a little straighter. "So! My points of strenght: I am resistant. I believe I can shrug off most of what our opponents can throw at me, thanks to my armor in Chthonian alloys. As I said before, Spark might be able to overpower it, but if she becomes a destroyer enough for that we'll have other problems on our hands. As for my weakness... I am not much of a distance attacker. Which may prove to be a problem, since both Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith are very quick movers; oh, that reminds me! If you two have any difficulties attacking Miss Wraith, with her being incorporeal, try and get her near me. I might have a counter for her." He turns towards Ghost and adjustes his goggles. "Actually, Ghost, maybe you should be a clarifier and say what you think your weak point is. I wouldn't want us to be confused and talk about different things."

Tunneler is not going to open up to Ghost, in case that was not clear.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Oh.

Well.

That's certainly not the reaction I expected. Did I say something wrong? Aw jeez, I really hope that wasn't the wrong thing to say. Agh, why do I have to go and open my stupid mouth like that all the time?

"R-right," I was still a little taken aback by Spade's reaction, but I can't let that bother me, much. I'll just ask him later. Maybe. I stand back up, and try to regain my composure, "I'm terrible at a straight fight. I'm not exactly the most physically fit person, so if I'm ever forced into a one-on-one fight, I'm probably going to lose. I can distract one of them, take their attention away from you guys, but I'm going to have to depend on you two when it comes to, well, actually fighting."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"A grand battle?!" Ophelia's announcement catches Feijiang by surprise, but soon the warrior is with her usual, excited look."So be it!"

She crosses her arms and looks out the window into the danger room. For a little while, she seems lost in her own little world as countless battle scenarios played out in her head. What if she fought one-on-one versus Clatterclaw? Claws versus axes! Or would that be one-on-two?! Only a fool would forget about Lady Wraith! Would Clatterclaw & Wraith vs Feijiang & Ghost count as a mirror match? And what about Willard & Spade? This is a three-on-three match after all! What kinds of formations work best for a group of three, anyway...?

A multitude of similar thoughts pass through Feijiang's head at lightning speed, distracting her completely for a while.

"What?!" Ghost's words of self-deprecation seem to suddenly pop Feijiang's bubble. For a second she looks like she's woken up from a slumber, then she very quickly points a finger at Ghost. "Hold on! No, you don't! Didn't you say you wanted to learn how to fight?!"

She crosses her arms sternly. "I do believe I remember you telling me you wanted to learn how to fight! So I am not going to hear anything about you depending on us to do the 'actual fighting.' You will be up there, doing actual fighting, and I am not going to hear otherwise!"

"Did you, or did you not say you wanted to learn how to fight! Did you, or did you not say that you wanted to stop feeling like a burden?! And did you, or did you not say you didn't want to hold anyone back?! Well this is the time! You are going to fight on the front line! And I am going to support you! NOT the other way around!"

Feijiang gives Ghost a clearly expectant look. There's a certain fire in her eyes that makes it look like she's not going to take no for an answer.

<Tak> Feijiang is provoking Ghost
<Tak> .roll 2d6+3
<Platonibot> Tak: 12 (2d6+3=5, 4)

Feijiang is provoking Ghost into committing herself to "actually fight" on the front line in this next battle & not rely on just supporting Tunneler and Feijiang. Oh no, you ASKED for a chance to "be strong, like you!", and now THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS. :colbert:

If you accept, we'll add +1 Team to the pool. If you chicken out, take a condition.

e: This is using The Bull's Heart's 'Enabler' move

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Feijiang's words hit me like a truck. "W-well, yea, I did, but- I," I try to think of a retort, but I can't. I did say I wanted to learn how to fight, but can I? Am I really ready for this? I- I'm just not sure. I don't even know how to throw a punch! What can I do against someone who can control fire, an actual magic ghost, a kung-fu zombie, and a guy who can control metal? I'm- I'm just- I-

Did you, or did you not say that you wanted to stop feeling like a burden?! And did you, or did you not say you didn't want to hold anyone back?!

...I did say that, didn't I?

I try to think of what to say, but I can't. I want to say how bad of an idea this is, that I'm not ready for it yet, but... when will I be ready? My mind flashes back to the mall, to me. I remember all the times I spent cowering in a corner, and all the hesitation and fear. I remember how helpless I felt as my whole team shattered in front of me, and I remember... Alexandra.

quote:

"Well done normie. Don't you realise how much of a liability you are to the group? Why don't you just go home and stop pretending to be your mother? You'll never be half the hero she was."

I stand silent for a moment, as her words echo in my mind. She always called me weak, a pathetic little girl, just playing pretend to make herself feel better, and I realized, right there, if I give up now, if I don't show my worth in a fight, I'll just be proving her right.

I bite my lower lip as I feel my whole body starts shaking, "You're right. I'm done being weak, I'm done being scared, and, "I lift my head up high, and turn to face Feijiang, fire burning in my eyes, "I'm DONE being a burden!"

The shaking stopped, and whatever fear or doubt I had in me is gone now, and all that's left is the burning determination that Feijiang has lit in me, "If I don't fight now, then when? Am I just going to make the same excuse, over and over again? Heck no! You're right, Fei, this is my time to learn, and I will fight! I won't hide anymore! I am Ghost, and I'm a goddamn HERO!!" For once, I actually feel myself actually believing those words.

"And more importantly," I look at both of them, with an actual, genuine smile on my face this time, "I know I'm not alone. Even if we mess up today, it doesn't matter! We'll just learn from it, and we'll get better! Now come on!" I grab onto Feijiang and Spade, and make them translucent, and I nod towards the window, hoping they both get my plan, "We've kept them waiting long enough. Let's go and kick some butt!"

Welp, time to put my money where my mouth is! Forget the plan! We going right in, so I'm adding a team to the pool!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 17, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"Oh no you don't!"

Tunneler steps decisevely in between the two pals and the glass, and crosses his arm.

"We can't just be heedless rushers into danger! I know I said that that was not a problem during the battle at the mall, but that was because the situation called for it! If we have an occasion to prepare and discuss what to do, we should take it. If we were going to just charge in there like berserker mole-beasts, we might as well have elected Feijiang as our leader!"

A sting of pain invades his chest the moment the words leave his lips. That was... that was really uncalled for. Being in disagreement with Ghost is no excuse to insult Feijiang just to get his point across.

Provoking Ghost into acting leaderly and planning the battle out
PM !roll 2d6+2
PM K<KrysmbotPXGentleman, 11+2 = 13

Doing that will net Ghost +1 going forward and a condition. A shame that doing the opposite will have the same exact effect :V

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 17, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"W-What? No! T-that's not what I'm saying at all!" Oh great, I'm stammering again. Of all the people to catch me constantly offguard, I never expected it to be Spade, "Look, this is different, okay? I'm not asking us to go in, all guns blazing and just punch everything in sight," Even though I'm sure Feijiang would really enjoy that, "The mall was- it was sudden. What happened there- None of us would have expected for any of that to happen, and I think that's the problem. We could spend all the time we have, planning and coming up with some kind of strategy, but the moment something unexpected happens, the plan'll just fall apart. It's important that we learn to think on our feet, and come up with solutions on the fly, because I don't think any of the nastier guys out there will wait for us to think it out."

I try to think of how to word my next set of thoughts before I continue, "Think of it like this; Each of us will pick a dance partner. If you think you can't handle your current partner, you switch out with somebody else, and continue with a new one. It's important to learn the flow of your partner, so you'll be able to predict their next moves. Oh, and I don't mean, like, a literal dance partner, I mean- Oh, you know what I mean," or at least, I hope they do.

Ms. Caldwell told me I needed to stick with my decisions, and that's what I'm going to do. I just hope it's the right decision to make.

Rejecting Spade's provoke, so I'm marking Insecure

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 17, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"You...!"

Feijiang shoots Spade a very angry look. It's a look that just screams, 'How dare you?!' even though she doesn't go as far as vocalizing the thought herself. It's one that suggests that, maybe, Spade crossed some invisible line that should most definitely not be crossed. And it's a look that almost threatens to undo all of the hugging and team-building that just happened in the past few minutes. It reminds you, a little bit, of how angry she looked when Ghost first stood up to her and beat her in the vote for team leader.

"What would be the problem with that, huh?!" Feijiang clenches both of her hands into tight fists, and seems almost ready to launch into some furious tirade. But something seems to hold her back. And then she takes a loud, deep breath. It seems to calm her down just enough.

"Oh look at what you've done, Spadertal," she says, in a moment of self-awareness. "You really shouldn't have said that."

"Besides, you're ignoring one of the classic principles of combat." A smug grin appears on her face which, considering her previous expression, is actually probably a good thing. "Surprise can be a more powerful weapon than anything else in your arsenal. And who among us has more potential for surprise than her?"

Feijiang crosses her arms. "Do you understand what I'm talking about, or do I need to spell it out for you?"

There's a noticeable, mean-spirited tone in her voice as she says that.

Feijiang is changing her Bull's Heart and declaring The Tunneler her new rival. The Tunneler gains Influence on Feijiang.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 17, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Oh for the love of- both of you, stop!" I stand between them, and hold out my arms to push them away from each other, "Will you both just listen to yourselves? Are we seriously going to break the team up again after everything that happened? If you have any pent-up aggression, I suggest you save for the sparring match!"

I turn my head to look at Feijiang, and give her a stern look. Or try to, anyways. Whatever look I was trying to put on was quickly replaced with one of... disappointment, I guess? A look that probably says I expected better from you without saying anything, and I just look away from her, not even making eye contact anymore.

"If you need me, I'll be waiting in the danger room," That- that probably sounded a lot sadder than I intended it to. I walk past them, and phase through the nearest wall.

Why, why can't everything just work out for once? Is that too much to ask?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 17, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 3/5. Conditions: Insecure

Ressiant is more of an rear end than ever today. Fine, if you want to cut me where it hurts I'll leave you alone! You can just say you are done being nice to the baby brother if that's how you are going to act. Cause that's all I am isn't it. A baby brother who needs babysitting.

Ressiant jumps down and I join her a little unnerved by her words. She congratulates the girls on how well they did. My intervention huh? Rubbing salt in the wound more like. What the hell was Ressiant playing at thinking I didn't know she thought so little of me.

I hear the plan to have a full team fight and my stomach jumps into my mouth, my head shaking. This is not the time to fight, no, no, no! We need to come together now. Learn about each other as people, not fighters. Oh man! Now I have to use my metal against the team. This can only end badly!

"Oh, hi Willard- you don't mind if I call you Willard, right?"

"Erm, Will is fine. Only my mum calls me Willard, and my brother when he's pissed at me. Rachel ok?" I ask, pointing at Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith. I'm still a little fuzzy on the details and whether they want different nicknames now they are separate. But I'm a little busy trying to come up with a strategy to get out of this chaos I can see clearly heading my way.

Clatterclaw seems nervous somehow, I don't blame her who wants to talk to the monster, huh? But she's apologising. My hands go up.

"You have nothing to apologise for. My family is used to this and my brother could do with a bit of stress in his life, might make him talk to me a bit. The harder things get the more he closes himself off from me. Maybe if things get a bit stressful for him, it might force him to rely on his family, and us." I smile, I have to admit, having seen how my brother let's us all bicker and fight has let me see that my brother has no intention of making us a good team or good heroes; he wants an easier mess to clean up. Never thought I'd start thinking my brother had such a big ego but maybe he is just thinking all about himself right now. Maybe some bad press would teach him a lesson.

"Like, I know you probably feel bad about what happened too, but you were one of the better performers out there. I think you'd make the best leader for the four of us. It's obvious you have it in you."

"Me? M-m-m-me?"
I'm in shock. Eyes wide a bit uncertain.
Wow, I mean that was not something I was expecting.
Suddenly I don't feel so afraid. Maybe this fight could help us, and maybe fighting could teach us about each other. Nice that Clatterclaw thought so....highly of me! Huh, could I be a good leader? Guess I could try.
I take a deep breath and look at my teammates.

"I...I would be happy to try, to try and help keep us focused. And Rachel? Please, I was only one of the better performers out there because I was drat lucky! My metal could decide not to listen to me anytime. Just like one false move could hurt someone more than you mean to, right? You can't blame yourself for accidents like that, just learn from them. I know you have taken this hard on yourself, but you don't have to. We are all here for you. I wish I had the choice to get better like you can. One false command and my metal could go off on its own. You can train and hone your skills, and every step of the way you'll get further. You have nothing to apologise for. Your claws are apart of you. Your nature, never think badly of them."

I look back to my own deformed hand, and wince slightly. Just another reminder that I wasn't the same. This wasn't my nature, it was my curse.

Using the move wish I could be
Comfort Clatterclaw: 2d6+3 13
Clear a condition or mark potential Clatterclaw

"And same with you Spark, losing control of your powers isn't your intention. We all make mistakes and sometimes things go wrong. We just have to be able to stand together and help each other where we can. Trust me, I hope you guys can save the day when Vitreloy makes things worse."
I say it trying to build the team back up.

"But I have no intention of backing down here! Let's fight!"

I encourage the group to huddle together.

"Now, stop me if I'm wrong. But...well here's my thinking."
I turn to Miss Wraith.
"Miss Wraith, you have a gift unlike anyone else here. The ethereal, magic, your ability to move through objects with ease. One thing that sets you apart. And right now I need that. Ghost could move through an attack I throw at her. Same with Clatterclaw and we all saw her phase through Spark's fire. I need you to focus on her. Your magic could hit her, an attack she can't dodge, ghosting or not." I look confident, It's my best idea so far and i just hope it works. "I mean, it's worth a shot right?"

I turn to Spark
"Spark, when you have control you are unstoppable and your strength is incredible. I need you to focus on Fiejing. She's strong. Way too strong for me. She could pummel me into the ground, but your fire can keep her at bay. Keep her at range. You're powerful and you're clever. I've just seen you think on your feet, don't doubt yourself." I nod to her, reassuringly. "But I also need you to keep feijing away from her allies. That's how your fire will help us. Keep her distanced. If the group come at us together, throw some fire their way. Get them alone. We can use our strengths against them that way."

"I will be focusing tunneler. He can use the ground itself to hide and give him advantage but my magic is nature, the dirt itself. I should be able to stop him in his element. Literally. If he comes at me with his runes, I'll use the metal, immobilise him and stop him from escaping."

Last, but not least!
"Clatterclaw! You are tough, brave and above all agile! The way I saw you move through those vines, your attacks are graceful and precise, while still standing firm and strong. I need you to be my eyes across the battlefield, assess the battleground and go were you are needed. Support whomever needs help. Whether one of other side surprise attacks someone, or a weakness is exploited, I need you there to help cover us, and, to be honest, I feel like it's me you're going to have to help. I know Tunneler the least and understand nothing about his runes. I just have to hope I can hold him off with my metal."

I kind of like this leader thing. It's nice to think plans through, but I'm getting ahead of myself. This isn't about me, it's about the team.

"We are lucky. It's 4 vs 3, in our favour. But that doesn't mean we have an easy fight. We need to stand strong. Be ready to swap opponents if things get rough, and think on our feet, stay fluid with the fight. I trust you all to do your best. Above all guys; communicate.
So tell me. And be honest. If you think my ideas suck, tell me. If I've read your strengths wrong let me know. These are the ideas I had. Not what we need to do. I know, as you are probably sick of hearing now, we can do this if we listen to one another. What do you guys think?"

Cleared Afraid from Clatterclaw's comfort

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 18, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Well I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel some pleasure from our little bout. In a weird way it did actually make me feel better and more in control. I was still learning what I was capable of. Obviously I could be dangerous, but perhaps just perhaps I could be more than that. I could be useful. Vitrelory- Will sounded like he knew what he was talking about. "Ok sounds like a good plan and please call me Barbara. Not Babs though I hate that nickname. My dad used to use it all the time to annoy me." I said sharing a smile with him. I'm glad he could look at me and not see a monster, a freak. Maybe I needed to learn to do the same to him. "Ok then so shutdown Feijiang. That's not going to be easy. If I put up a wall of fire she's going to just burst through it. And if I use anything stronger well..." I couldn't bring myself to say it but I knew what I meant and so did everyone else. I didn't want a repeat of what had happened at the mall. Still breathe and think whatever you do don't lose control I thought to myself. I could take a losing fight better than I could take becoming that.. that monster again. I looked wanly at my teammates "Ok I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Let's get this show on the road."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Hopeless

Clatterclaw smiles, even if somewhat faintly. "Heh, sure enough Will. Or maybe I should go with Willard anyway, I think I'd make a pretty good team mom haha." Well, at least some her usual cheer is back, a slight glint of good humor in her dead eyes. "But eh, I think Ghost has that down to pat so no need."

She (and also Miss Wraith who had floated lazily to join the little gathering) listened intently to his plans, occasionally nodding in agreement. "Yeah, that sounds reasonable. A perfectly good plan, in my opinion"

She turned away to get into position, but stopped just before she left. "Hey Will. Thanks for the vote of confidence." With a final smile, she jumped up to a rocky outcropping, squatting on it surveying the arena like a sinister gargoyle.

Clearing Guilty

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"Ghost, wait, don't...!"

Spade's hand reach uselessly for Ghost as she phases through a wall. He emits an hiss of frustration, the turns to face his rightfully enraged teammate. He tries to mantain an even tone, as to not escalate the conflict.

"I am an understander of what you're saying, Feijiang. I am not sure, however, that you are understander of me. I don't have a quarrel with you; you are a capable and powerful member of our team, and I still have a vivid image in my mind of you being a chopper of the tree titan. But that doesn't make you a good leader; I am sorry to say, but you are far too reckless and headstrong for that. But that has not bearing on the fact that I have a high opinion of you."

He points at the wall through which Ghost went through. "She is a good leader because she understands us, she is a knower of the best priorities and a decent tactician. That is why I voted for her, and what I expect from her. Did you see how even just now, as upset as she was, she was a warner not to quarrel right before a battle? I suggest we follow our leader's advice, put this disagreement behind us, and focus on sparring at the best of our abilities."

I think I am using my Influence over Feijiang to raise her Danger and lower her Superior.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: +2 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2| Mundane: +0

Feijiang's go wide with surprise and immediate regret the moment she sees Ghost give her that look. There's a certain part of that -- a certain feeling, that hits her in a way that one million mighty blows never could. She freezes up, and simply looks dumbfounded as Ghost starts to walk away.

"Wait, Ghost!" Feijiang turns around and pleads, calling out after her friend. "I thought we were gonna use the window-"

But she's too late. Her hesitation cost her too much time. Or maybe not. Maybe Ghost just wasn't listening. Maybe there was nothing Feijiang could have done, even if her lightning-fast reflexes were up to shape.

"Wait, no- I-!" Feijiang calls out at the empty wall where Ghost used to be. And then she stares worriedly at the void left behind. "I really did it, huh."

She makes a bunch of faces, as she kind of openly sorts through a whole bunch of emotions going through her heart. There's a mixture of annoyance, frustration, irritation, sadness, and regret in there, cycling through in no particular order as she listens to what Spadertal has to say.

"No," she says, seemingly settling on frustration and irritation. "I DON'T think you understand! One, you don't understand me. I am a great tactician, for the record. But that's not the issue."

Feijiang gives the Tunneler a mean look. "Two. You don't understand what you were saying. I know you don't have a feud with me. I know what you meant when you brought me up. You don't want Ghost to be like me! That's the issue!"

"But you're right, we shouldn't fight now." Feijiang turns around and starts walking towards the door. "Come on, let's go before she hates me even more."

She crosses her arms and leans against the wall.
<Takanago> Feijiang is rejecting The Tunneler's influence
<Takanago> .roll 2d6
<Platonibot> Takanago: 9 (2d6=3, 6)
Instead of going along with what Spadertal says, Feijiang is going to shift her Mundane down and her Superior up.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 18, 2016

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Observation Room

Opehlia and Garrett look increasingly concerned as the trio discussed their plan, or more accurately, lack of a plan. The ensuing argument afterwards didn't help ease their worries either. Gareth makes a motion to try to interfere, but Ophelia holds him back and gives him a stern look. At first, Gareth looks to object, but eventually cedes control back to Ophelia and watches the three head into the arena. Once the three had left, Gareth sighs to himself.

"I have a feeling this is going to end really badly." He moves over to the console and begins toying around with the controls, seeming to lose himself in the technology. Ophelia gives him a sympathetic look before patting him on the back and giving him an encouraging smile.

"To be honest, it's better for them to make mistakes here than on the field. If anything, this match should be a good learning lesson and a way to gauge their abilities," Ophelia encourages, rubbing his back for a second before grabbing one of the bean bags and dragging it over towards the window. "Hey, do you know if this place can make some popcorn? This is going to be one for the ages, hopefully!"

"Hey, save some for me!" Siegfried shouts, the two of them laughing together. Gareth chuckles along with them, a tiny smile playing on his mouth.

Danger Room

The scenery changes back to the original room while waiting for Ghost, Feijiang and The Tunneler. Reissant seems to recognise Vitreloy's discomfort and looked to be making a move towards talking to him, but stops when she sees Clatterclaw and the others approach him. Instead, she stands back and watches the trio plan, frowning to herself. Once she sees Ghost enter, she straightens herself.

"Once your friends have joined you, we can begin the preparations." She states, moving to stand in between Ghost and the other trio.

Once Feijiang and Spade enter the room, Reissant has them stand in the middle of the arena, each trio facing each other.

"Alright, same rules as before. First team to make their opponents concede wins. If you choose to concede personally or it looks like you are in too dangerous a situation, I will come in and take you out of the fight. If you do, you cannot rejoin the fight. Is that clear to everyone?"

As Reissant finishes, the scenery around you changes once again. Platforms rise and binary symbols appear all over them, slowly changing the appearance of the platforms to those of city buildings. Once Gareth is finished, you are left standing in the middle of a street in a city. Tall buildings surrounding you and a simulated night sky can be seen above. Street lights brighten the dim surroundings and there are a few cars in the area too.

What do you do?

ScarlettSmiles, you have 3 potential, not 2 and you need to choose something from Clatterclaw comforting Vitreloy

For the purposes of this fight, each trio will have a team pool. The amount of team you start of with is as follows:

Ghost, Feijiang and Spade

If the leader has Influence over every teammate, add another Team - Yes
If everyone has the same purpose in the fight, add another Team - Yes
If any team member mistrusts the leader or the team, remove a Team - Yes
If your team is ill-prepared or off balance, remove a Team - No

Team: 3

Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith, Spark and Vitreloy

If the leader has Influence over every teammate, add another Team - No
If everyone has the same purpose in the fight, add another Team - Yes
If any team member mistrusts the leader or the team, remove a Team - No
If your team is ill-prepared or off balance, remove a Team - No

Team: 3

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 19, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I thought I'd be more excited by all this. Being together with everyone, watching the room change, finally getting a chance to impress my idol- but I'm not. I'm not sure what I feel now. I'm not angry, or sad (for once), I don't feel frustrated, or afraid. I don't feel much of anything right now, actually.

I don't want to do this, but I know I have to. It's like, what do they call it, a sense of duty? Yea, it's just a sparring match, but if I quit, what does that say about me? I have to learn, and this is the only way how, no matter how much I just want to run back to my room and just pretend this whole day never happened.

"Feijiang, Tunneler," I say to them, my voice practically emotionless, "We didn't have much time to plan, so here's what we'll do; Feijiang, focus on Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith, don't give them room to breath, Tunneler, you focus on Vitreloy, but don't engage him directly. Use the environment to your advantage. If either of you are in trouble, don't be afraid to switch. They're more prepared than us, so we need to use the element of surprise to our advantage."

"As for me. I'll handle Spark. I can deal with her flames. I can't engage her directly, but I can keep her busy, so you two can focus on your targets, and remember, we're a team, so act like one."

That... probably came off a lot colder than it should have. I realized I didn't even turn to look at them when I was talking. Too late for that now, I guess.

I take a step forward, getting myself a little closer to the other team. They look so much more prepared and well put together than we are. I'm happy for them, at least. "Good luck, guys. May the best team win and all that, yea?" I try to smile at them, but it's really obvious that it's a forced one. I've always been terrible at hiding my own emotions. Dad said I got that from mom.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 18, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 3/5. Conditions: Insecure

Ghost, Feijing and Tunneler all appear and the room changes again.
A city landscape; figures, we need practise in one. It's where we will all be fighting the most.
I look to the three opponents, a little pit of fear in my stomach. I really didn't want to lose, but I didn't want to hurt anyone more. The temptation to just shout that I quit was interesting, I'd not expected to want to run like this, but it was fear of the harm I could do to the people I wanted to hurt the least.

"Good luck, guys. May the best team win and all that, yea?"

I wave at Ghost, she's so good at this. Such a good leader, but she looks so sad. Maybe she's a little bit terrified like me.

"Good luck to you too! Let's just do our best everyone!"

I turn to my team and nod at them in confidence. God knows if my plan will work, more than anything I just want my team to know that I believe in them and that as long as they know their strengths we can do this. I sound like old superhero monologues my mother used to read to me, sheesh!

I shake my head and get back into the game, unplugging my tubes and letting the metal flow out to my hand. I was ready...mostly.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure

Miss Wraith blinked as the rock she was hiding inside hollowed itself out and transformed into some sort of candy store (was the candy fake? Probably. No matter, not like she could eat anyway. Even if she missed that, on occasion). With the tiniest peek outside the window, she noted that she was to the left and behind of their new opposition. She saw Clatterclaw giving a little wave to the opposition, the rock she was squatting on having turned to a second story balcony. The look on her face, it seemed a bit more determined, somewhat less gloomy than before. Or perhaps that was just because she was so far away from her? Hm.

"Okay Clatters", the communications charm (forming a closed channel between herself, Clatters, Spark and Vitreloy), "I'm behind the opposition. Let's scout and figure out how we'll best get this over with."

quote:

Theantero: Well anyways, Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith are Assessing, with their sweet bond 'Four eyes are better'
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 6+2 = 8

Asking:
-how could we best end this quickly? (Assume that Clatters and Wraith will make this immediately known to their own team, so they can use it too)

Clearing Hopeless due to my Bond.

Also, Scarlettsmiles, Vitreloy rolled 10+ on his own Comfort roll so you can either add Team to the pool or clear a condition.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith Assess

Feijiang and Spade keep on looking towards Ghost for guidance while shooting each other mean and hostile looks. It's pretty clear that Ghost is probably the only thing keeping their team from completely breaking apart due to infighting. If you want to end this match quickly, either focus your aggression on Ghost so that she gets taken out of the fight or push the negative relationship between Feijiang and Spade to the point where their ability to work as a team utterly collapses and they openly start fighting each other instead of your team.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I stand in front of the other team, and I start to feel a little anxious. I give a sidedye glance to Feijiang, and tilt my head at the other team, letting her know to charge in now, before they have a chance to prepare.

"Hey, guys? I'm really sorry about this," I slowly start to phase my body to avoid what happens next, "I promise I'll get you all pizza and ice cream by the end of this."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure

"Are you seeing those glances, Clatters?"

"Hah yeah. Colder than my dead heart. So listen up team. Seems like there's been some sort of drama in the observation room during our absence since Spade and Feij are eyeing each other up something fierce. Seems like Ghost is the only thing maintaining any sort of coherence. So focus on her, and try to egg those two into infighting or at least into individual, non-teamwork based performance so that we can pick them off one by one."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: +2->+3 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +2->+1| Mundane: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

Clatterclaw's observation seems right on the mark.

From the way Feijiang keeps shifting her weight back and forth uncomfortable, it's clear that there's something on her mind. And from the way she keeps glaring over in Spade's direction, it probably has a large part to do with him. But judging from the way she also keeps shooting looks of concern in Ghost's direction, it's probably not just about him.

Feijiang keeps up this act for a little while, shifting back and forth between looking like she might say something to Ghost, and then deciding not to and just impatiently waiting for the match to start. And then back again.

And then she gets the signal.

Feijiang stares at Ghost, taking a second to mentally double-check if that signal means what she thinks it means. Starting a match with a surprise hit is a little bit... underhanded, isn't it? Or maybe you could just call it unsportsmanlike. Or uncouth. Either way, it's the kind of thing that's not traditionally her style. She was never a stickler for the rules, especially in the more stuck-up dojos, but she never really felt the need to bend the rules during the match. Playing fair just made victory so much sweeter when she won.

Then again... barely anybody she fought back then even stood a chance against her. Of course she wouldn't need to bend the rules. But this time, not even Feijiang could shake off the bad feeling that was definitely in the air. It was hanging around everywhere around her team, as if they were being cursed to lose before they even started fighting. And for what, a simple argument about a plan?! Can't they just trust her to know what she's doing?! Or-

Oh. That's it. This is the new plan. Ghost is betting it all on you, Feijiang. She's trusting you to even the odds here.

Fine. You might have screwed it up back there, but if there's anything you can do, you can do this.

Feijiang looks over at Clatterclaw, making eye for a brief second. There's a flash in her eye and a grin on her face, which is about the only warning Feijiang gives before she strikes.

WOOSH! In the blink of an eye, Feijiang launches herself forward. There's a burst of wind left in her wake as she crosses through Ghost to head directly towards Clatterclaw.

With one hand forward and the other raised in a tight fist, she looks like she's about to deliver a surprise punch with a tremendous amount of momentum.

<Takanago> OK, Feijiang shifts her danger up from Punch Everyone then moves to Spar with Clatterclaw & Wraith
<Takanago> .roll 2d6+3
<Platonibot> Takanago: 15 (2d6+3=6, 6)
OK, after a bunch of IRC talk it's been decided that the Spar move doesn't work so well for this kind of fight so it's actually a standard Directly Engage move instead.
I choose:
-Create an opportunity for your allies
-Impress, surprise, or frighten the opposition

Since I am Directly Engaging a PC, and not choosing to resist/avoid blows, I automatically take a powerful blow:
<Takanago> Feijiang takes a powerful blow from Clatterclaw (and/or Miss Wraith)
<Takanago> .roll 2d6
<Platonibot> Takanago: 6 (2d6=5, 1)
e: Marking potential

Takanago fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 19, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 3/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Hopeless

Clatterclaw was busy quizzically cocking her eyebrow at Ghost when suddenly something jumped straight through her, too fast for her to realize what it was until a fist impacted her chest hard enough to send her crashing down from the balcony. She impacted the ground with a thump and an angry snarl.

"Oh so that's how it is? You're starting a fight with a sucker punch? Fine. We can play dirty too if it comes to that."

She stood up, with the slightest wobble, and brandished her claws with an actually spiteful leer. "I'll take you down, Feij."

Sure, she was not certain how she'd manage to do that against such a clearly superior fighter, but necessity was a good teacher.

quote:

Theantero: Clatterclaw you better not fail this Powerful Blow too or I'll loving disown you I SWEAR TO GOD
Theantero: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9+1 = 10

Choosing to Give ground (by falling from balcony), Fighting through the pain (marking Angry and Hopeless)

As a note for my team, try to focus down Feijiang and take the Engage options that are best at making people vulnerable so that I can Overwhelm to instagib her next prompt. About time for her to actually lose something for once :colbert:

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I feel terrible.

I know this is wrong, starting a sparring match with a surprise attack, but what other choice did I have? They had the advantage on us. If we fought, as we were, we'd lose. They're better prepared, and they have the more powerful fighters. We had no chance.

Or maybe I'm just telling myself that just to make myself feel better.

It's too late for regrets now. I can't take back things I already started. All I can do is continue moving forward.

"Hey!" I yell directly at Spark, "Spark, haven't you noticed? We're starting the match, now! You better get ready, because here I come!" I charge forward, and reel my arm back, pretending like I'm going for a direct attack. I need to use the confusion to my advantage, don't give her time to think, get her to make a mistake that'll leave her vulnerable. I just need to prepare myself to phase through whatever she throws at me, and just hope I can time it right.

quote:

<Hugzilla> Provoking Spark
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+1
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 9+1 = 10

Provoking Spark into making an attack that will leave her vulnerable. If she doesn't, she needs to mark a condition. If she does, her team gets to add a Team to their pool.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 3/5. Conditions:

Clearing last condition with my comfort roll

"Dirty move." I say, more to myself than anything.
Was it wrong of me to expect my teammates to play fair? Guess I was wrong to think so well of them.

Fiejing's fist connects with Clatterclaw and something in me snaps.
Call it self control, call it will power, I don't know, but suddenly I've lost all sense of this as a simple sparring match. I just really want to gently caress up the other teams day.

"Spark, hit them. Hit Tunneler and Ghost for everything you got. I've got the girl." My voice is mechanical, my bionic eye glows a deep red and the metal in my hand jumps excitedly, like a child waiting for its turn to play.

"Eradicate..." I'd sworn I would only use that command when I absolutely had to, but I was so angry. I thought there was even honour amongst thieves. Oh well, guess I was wrong about everything.

My metal releases from my hand, a tornado of energy spewing forth and I command it to find Feijing, slither deep within her armour and choke the life out of her. How dare she! How dare she strike before the match had been called. Underhanded, disgusting, dirty trick. I'd expected better from a hero of Harmonia. Maybe it was time to show her what a really monstrous attack looked like.

directly engage Fiejing: 2d6+1 9
Create an opportunity for my allies

Take a powerful blow
take a powerful blow: 2d6+0 9
I lash out verbally, provoking Spark to take on two enemies at once.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 20, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: +3 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1| Mundane: +0
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty

"I'd like to see you try, Clatterclaw," Feijiang chuckles and gives a particularly smug grin. The kind of grin you might see from a villain-of-the-week in some children's cartoon before they get their comeuppance.

There's been just one punch thrown so far, and already this fight has become something it shouldn't have. Just one look at the way Clatterclaw is looking at Feijiang is enough to tell that. This isn't a proper fight anymore, not like the many she's fought in the dojos and arenas. Not like the championship she won which got her a spot in the Heroes of Harmony. No, this fight is very quickly starting to look like a dirty street brawl. The kind she hasn't fought in years. The kind that she had expected to stay in the past.

Well... that's fine, isn't it? It's all part of Ghost's plan. No time to ask why, and no time to go against it. Just play your role, Feijiang.

And then a wave of energy flies in her direction. Feijiang instinctively reaches out a hand to try and stop it, but naturally it's an ineffective move.

"Will...!" Feijiang calls out, her voice suddenly ragged and hoarse. If you look closely, you'll notice there's an amount of surprise in her eyes. More than you'd expect than from someone just caught off-guard by an attack. And from the way her gaze is fixed upon Vitreloy, it seems like she's surprised by him. "Y-you...!"

She had never thought that her old friend, Will, could do something like this. To her. But then again, she's the one that started it. Just part of the plan...

But still, a feeling of guilt had started to pool within her gut. For old Will Craven to really try to hurt her like this... she probably deserved it. There was another feeling, too. A more simple life-or-death adrenaline. That feeling she relied on when she fought in the streets. Back when it was just her versus the world...

<Takanago> Feijiang takes a powerful blow from her friend Vitreloy
<Takanago> .roll 2d6
<Platonibot> Takanago: 7 (2d6=2, 5)
Marking Angry and Guilty.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Spade doesn't know how to feel about Feijiang's move. It's a low blow, certainly, but aren't they supposed to expect low blows such as this from their opponents on the field? He advances towards his designated opponent. He really wished he didn't have to fight Vitreloy, but he doesn't want to be difficult when everything else is already in such precarious balance. He advances towards Vitreloy, who is busy bombarding Feijiang. He really, really wishes he didn't have to do this. This is just sparring. He has no reason to be mad at you. Focus on doing what you're supposed to be a doer of.

He reduces his mass until it's a fraction of a fraction of his initial weight, and then he jumps. His relative lightness makes it easy to jump describe a long arc from one side of the simulated street to the other. Notice me. Stop me, counterattack, deviate my hit.

Vitreloy doesn't. He's so focused on Feijiang that he can't possibly notice Spade before he's close enough to strike. Sigh. There's no getting away from this.

His claws slash at the metal boy's form, with a shrieking sounds of metal scraping against metal. Vitreloy's beautiful body is now marred by a huge slash. Spade feels terrible, and immediately burrows underground, to avoid both retribution and looking at what he's done.
Spade directly engages Vitreloy and rolls a 7. He avoids retribution.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I think I zoned out for a bit there. Because next thing I noticed was the fight was on. Hmm I had been expecting to take on Feijiang but it seemed I was up against Ghost. I just hoped whatever happened I didn't hurt her. That was the last thing I wanted to do to her. Still alls fair in love and war right? I owed it to her to give it my best. To let her test her skills against the best I had to offer. She's coming right at me though. I had to hit her, but not too hard hopefully. Still why was she coming right at me? She had to know that if I hit her she'd go down hard. Unless... she didn't expect to get hit at all.

marking insecure to avoid falling for your cunning plan Ghost

I mean i could be wrong. And if I was she was going to hurt me, If i was right though. I snapped out a quick bolt of fire at her. More light than heat to be honest and while that distracted her. I turned my power on Tunneler who was dancing with Vitreloy and hit him with as much force as I could manage. Well not as much as i could manage, but enough that I could make him feel it and not do any permenant harm. I hope so anyway. I don't want the guilt of my team-mates blood on my hands again.

23:18] Terrorsol directly engaging tunneller
[23:18] Terrorsol !r 2d6+2
[23:18] Krysmbot Terrorsol, 3+2 = 5
[23:18] Terrorsol rip

But while I'd been dithering over how much force to use Tunneler had hit the deck and now my fireball was heading straight for Vitreloy....

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

The three adults are silent as they watch the match unfurl. Even Reissant looks uncomfortable watching the fight as she activates her communicator.

"I hope you got what you wanted, Ophelia." Ressiant admonished bluntly. Her normally levelled voice had a touch of anger in it while Ophelia sat quietly in the observation room. Even Siegfried was silent as they watched while Gareth had a look of pure horror, his focus entirely on Vitreloy. Ophelia grabs hold of his hand tightly while continuing to watch.

The fireball harshly collides with Vitreloy, causing him to reel backwards and temporarily lose control of his metal.

Vitreloy takes a heavy blow

Feijiang collapses onto the floor, trying to gain her breath back. If one wants to strike her, now would be a good time to do so. While the three adults seem to be petrified by what has happened, they still haven't stopped the match. Instead, an eerie silence fills the air.

What do you do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Angry, Hopeless

Heh.

This was their chance. Feijiang was down. Clatterclaw could practically see the plan of engagement unfold before her eyes. With the enemy distracted, Miss Wraith could chain her on the floor, and with a jumping leap Clattersclaw herself should get enough force to knock the sense out of even Feijiang's particularly thick skull. Yes, this charade would end now.

And, to be fair, she was right. It just didn't end quite as she had imagined it would.

As Clatterclaw took to the air, the ghostly ropes she had been expecting did indeed manifest. But instead of wrapping around Feijiang, they wrapped around herself, and wasted no time in whipping her airborne form on the nearest wall and binding her there. Clatterclaw blinked, with equal parts anger and confusion, clearly having some difficulty comprehending what was happening. "Miss Wraith", she hissed, "What the hell are you doing!? We had her! All we needed to-"

"Stop. Just stop."

Miss Wraith floated through the wall opposite to her, and stopped above the street between them. Arms crosses, face plastered with what would be best described as matronly disappointment.

"We had her, you say? What you mean is that you were just about to slam Feijiang's face to the street when she was distracted. Feijiang, who you are always telling me is so cool and awesome and whom you seem to practically idolize. All because you're mad she outmaneuvered you."

Miss Wraith stares for a while, then sighs and shakes her head. Clatterclaw merely leered in apprehension.

"This is not sparring. This is a mean spirited pub brawl. We are learning nothing here except inter-team strife."

"I refuse to take part in this."

quote:

Theantero: HEY FEIJ TIME TO GET WHELMED
Theantero: !r 2d6+1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 3+1 = 4
Theantero: gently caress

Well, I guess I at least get some Potential

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

What have I done?

I was expecting them to be a little upset, but not like this. Will is- Will is angry. I've never seen him so angry before, and he- he just tried to kill Fei. Oh no! Fei! She trusted me, she trusted me enough to follow through with my stupid plan, and all it did was get her hurt! Everything is going wrong again, everybody is going to start arguing again, and I-I-I...

"This is not sparring. This is a mean spirited pub brawl. We are learning nothing here except inter-team strife."

Miss Wraith's words slapped me back to my senses, and I felt the cloud hanging over my head start to clear up. "...You're right," I say, my voice filled with guilt and regret, "I'm sorry. This is my fault. I was the one who told Feijiang to charge in like that, it was me," I turn to Will, "If you're going to be angry at somebody, be angry at me, not her. She was just following my plan, a plan I made when I was still really upset. I didn't think of the consequences, I was so focused on winning I forgot the whole point of this exercise. I don't ask any of you to forgive me, but, please, don't blame Feijiang. She's just as much a victim of my bad decisions as you all are."

"And Rachel? Look, about Jessica, what happened there was- it was my fault, kinda. She got hurt because I was careless and it's- it's just been eating away at me ever since. I just wanted to say I'm sorry about that, too." As I said that, I felt an idea pop in my head, "Ah! Hey! You know, speaking of Jessica, why don't you visit her at the hospital? I know it'll probably be hard for you, but you don't have to be alone. I'll come with you! Gosh, you should've seen her during the whole fight, she thought you were the most awesome hero in the world, and I don't think anything would ever change that! And besides," I give Rachel a reassuring smile, "I think she'd just be really happy to see you."

quote:

<Hugzilla> Comforting Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 3+4 = 7
Clatterclaw & Miss wraith can choose to gain potential, shift labels, or clear a condition if they choose to open up to me.

I turn to face Ressiant, who doesn't look all that happy about what happened, and I don't blame her. I raise my hand up, and say, "If it's okay with the rest of my team, I choose to forfeit the fight. There's no point in continuing if we're just going to be at each other's throats."

Okay, I should probably check up on Fei now. I walk up to Fei, and crouch down besides her. Poor Fei, you did this for me, didn't you? You didn't have to do anything, but you charged in without a second thought, even if it was against your nature. I don't deserve a friend like you. I offer her my hand, to pick her back up, and say, in a low voice, so only she would hear, "I'm sorry. Please don't hate me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Potential: 4/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Hopeless

"It is good that you're not afraid to take responsibility", Miss Wraith said as she floated down to Ghost. "But there is such a thing as being overtly apologetic, yes? Your strategy was perfectly clever in my opinion, taken that you had only one actual frontliner to our three." She shoots Ghost her very best encouraging smile. "Perhaps it was underhanded, but that is exactly what we should expect from our enemies, now is it not?"

"I know that you might feel responsible for this. You are our leader. But I feel the problem is more in those that chose to take your strategies personally."

As if on cue, the binds around Clatterclaw disappeared, and she dropped to the ground, catching herself with a rather graceful tumble to her credit. "Yeah..." She scratched her neck a bit. "Wraith has a point. It's our fault for going overboard."

"Sorry."

Clearing Angry

"...And hey. As for Jessica? Don't beat yourself over her. It's us who should have gone to save her in the first place, instead of just shunting that on someone else on the fly. If you hadn't been there, something, something really bad might have happened. We owe you for that. We really do."

"And yeah. We should probably go check up on her." She laughed a bit "Good to hear she's still the good old overtly excitable Jessica, at least. You know, that, and the fact she does not totally hate me now. Thanks for telling."

Theantero fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 22, 2016

• Locked thread