Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
All shall bend to my will! HUBADABUDABUDA! If you want to make Reaper suggestions, do it now or your soul is forfeit to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Which classes are still low on characters?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Poltergrift posted:

Which classes are still low on characters?

Hound and Masurao only have three characters.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
You're a hero. I own EO1-4 (I don't consider the remakes of 1/2 unique enough to have bought into). I was really worried about not getting to play EO5 because I don't have a Japanese 3ds and also do not speak any Japanese. This thread basically solves all my problems.

I also LOVE SSLP with tineye (in this case you're using clyp but I have no idea how that's different than older threads which used tineye). It helps feel like you're actually in the game and not just reading gamefaqs.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I switched away from Tindeck because the site's very clearly barely-maintained at best and actively abandoned at worst. It was up for sale for a while this year and ran into some issues where some pages were hosting malware around a month or two ago, so I decided to play it safe and switch to Clyp.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Colors on Mio's portrait look fine to me. Also, yay.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I would suggest Aegis for the Guild name but it's probably me being biased since I use it as my Guild name for every EO game. So I'll toss in a vote for Nameless.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I also think 無名 will be a good guildname.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I do not look forward to the painstaking process of guiding Ragnar to type a word in kanji.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Clarste posted:

I do not look forward to the painstaking process of guiding Ragnar to type a word in kanji.

You signed up for your hell, now you get to live in it :kheldragar:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Since I have to go run some errands in a bit, might as well announce another class.

Raven (submitted by Dr. Fetus) will be our initial Reaper.

Also, the next class to be decided, which was chosen by asking Hivac to pick one from the classes with the most submissions, will be Fencer.

quote:

Tired of his home life and not being taken seriously, Raven set out to explore the Labyrinth to make a name for himself. He took one of his tools he frequently used at his home, and decorated it to make it seem shiny and cool. An awesome weapon means the wielder is awesome too, right? And can't forget the awesome looking outfit too. But despite all his attempts to seem all cool and edgy, he comes off as pathetic or adorable to other people, much to his chagrin.

“I'm not a farmer! I'm the deadliest and coolest assassin around! ...That happens to know a lot about crops and cute little animals-and why are you laughing!? Stop petting me on the head!”

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 16, 2016

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
i am a trusted expert in the field of picking poo poo on a whim

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
RIP my :catdrugs: Herbalist.

Looks perfect, exactly what I had in mind. Also hooray! :toot:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The focus group did not respond well to writing a character who was entirely an extended weed joke.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Took me a while to finish these. Also, I'll second Level Seven's guild name Mythos, and vote for Fencer, Herbalist, and Hound in the opening party.

Name: Sasha
Class: Dragoon
Portrait: DLC 4B
Skin Color: Default
Hair Color: 1A
Eye Color: 4B
Voice: Lively

"Hey, you! Yeah, I'm talking to you, the adventurers! How about I offer you a once-in-a-lifetime chance? Picture yourself, all geared up and ready to make your mark on the labyrinth. Treasures, excitement and more await! But hark! Our of nowhere, you find yourself surrounded by all manner of vile creatures; golems, dragons, even the dreaded forest deer! Why, the threat alone has been enough to scare off lesser adventures, and taken the lives of too many others. But fear not, my fellow explorers, for I have a solution that will benefit us both. For a price that I'm sure we can negotiate later, you'll be blessed with the services of the legendary (but not really) Dragoon, Sasha! With my stalwart shield to protect your fragile lives, and you doing all the actual hard work, the untold riches waiting in the labyrinth are but mere steps away. So, what are you waiting for? A free pass through the terrors that menace all treasure hunters doesn't come around so often. Hire me, and you have my word that our adventures will be met with resounding success!"

Name: Zahi
Class: Necromancer
Portrait: 1A
Skin Color: 2B
Hair Color: 5A
Eye Color: 1A
Voice: Nihilistic

Necromancy has never been looked on with a positive light. Beyond the physical impracticality and inconvenience of reanimating rotted corpses wherever one goes, there are the obvious moral and ethical dilemmas that have haunted the practice since its conception, pardon the pun. Zahi... has done nothing to help that. In fact, just about anyone who's ever met him would argue that he's the reason people think necromancy is objectively evil. Zahi has no respect for the dead, merely using them as tools to achieve his goals. And yet, despite his callous disregard for life, he seems to have an odd desire to help those around him. Be it out of some twisted sense of morality, an attempt to atone for his actions, or just an excuse to show off his powers, one couldn't say. He only speaks out of necessity, and isn't one to mince words. Despite how no one could point to any specific moment where he's made the lives of those around him decidedly worse, his village decided to send him off to explore the labyrinth in Aeolis under the pretense of "not letting his skills go to waste".

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nameless for our Guild name.

Classes: Fencer, Dragoon, Reaper.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
After some pained deliberations on our part about disqualifying a good submission because of the author winning another one...

Alexis (submitted by blizzardvizard) is our first Fencer.

Through a very scientific process, Clarste has determined that the next class we decide on will be Dragoon.

quote:

Alexis is the forty-seventh prince of a kingdom from a far, far away continent. He was to marry the thirty-second princess of a neighboring kingdom in another one of their families' endless list of political marriages, but this particular princess turned out to be a bit of a rebel. She ditched him on the wedding day without so much an explanation or an apology. Later that he found out that she had grown dissatisfied with her caged and dictated life, so she escaped to Aeolis to become an "adventurer" and scale its giant tree - the Yggdrasil. Even later on, he found out she had perished inside the dungeon.

He may not know her name, or have seen her face, or... know much anything about her at all, but Alexis has his honor. He would not let the murderer of his bethrothed go unpunished. There's one problem, however. He did not know who or what, exactly, killed the princess, and deducing that is definitely an impossible task. But then the answer dawned upon him - it was not the monsters that killed her. She could have died to the boars, the cat-birds, the legs-in-a-pudding, but it would never had happened... without the challenge that the tree presents.

And so, he ran away from his home of sixteen years and got on a ship to Aeolis. (He was silently pleased at how dramatic it was to leave his pampered life just like the princess did.) Armed with a decorative sword he took off the palace walls and about three weeks' worth of fencing lessons (that he took before he got bored of it, as princes do), he's going to duel the killer of his lover to the death... the entire Yggdrasil Labyrinth.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...That guild name's picking up more steam than I thought it would. Anyways, felt like making another entry, but I couldn't think of one till now.

Name: Cecil
Class: Cestus
Portrait: 3A
Skin Color: Default
Hair Color: Default
Eye Color: Heterochromia on, one eye red, other one Default.
Voice: Gentleman

Cecil was the third born son of his noble family, destined to never stand out from his elder brothers with regards to his inheritance. He was a listless youth that barely succeeded in anything they introduced him to. Fencing, art, mathematics, dancing, etiquette, nothing stuck to him... until they finally introduced him to music. It turned out he had a magnificent ear for music, and in no time at all he began to become a budding virtuoso. There was no instrument he could not work into a wonderful song, and, indeed, he was naturally proficient in every instrument he laid his hands on. As a young adult, he was already well known far and wide for all the music he composed. He was such a refined gentleman that he was always on demand for every royal dance and ball.

Unfortunately, on his way to yet another party, his caravan was attacked by a horde of Cutters and Bloodbears. Only Cecil managed to barely escape from the attack, with a scar across his chest to show for it. Ever since then, the world assumed that he was dead. They couldn't be more wrong.

Ten years later, a man claiming to be the musical composer of old emerged from the forest, very much covered in bear blood and bear fur. He had a deranged eye and a rather booming voice, quite the contrary to the soft-spoken, slim Cecil of old. No one could get quite a straight answer from him - his answer changes every time they ask. However, there is without a doubt that he does have the same talent as the old Cecil, complete with composing music with his fists (Did you know punching the skull of a bear just right makes the same sound as C-Sharp minor?). And now he's arrived in Aeolis to show off his art. Just... don't let him get too into showing it off, because he might go into a frenzy.

As for the opening party, Herbalist, Dragoon, and Warlock.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nameless is a fine guild name, and Shaman, Fencer, Reaper :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Haha, I nearly didn't post the Fencer idea because the premise was pretty out there, but I'm glad you guys liked it. Woo! :toot: And the colors look alright to me.

Oh yeah, I think Nameless has a nice ring to it. For the party, I'll go with Necromancer, Dragoon, Cestus.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Sasha (submitted by Efe) shall be our first Dragoon.

Next up on the chopping block is Necromancer.

quote:

"Hey, you! Yeah, I'm talking to you, the adventurers! How about I offer you a once-in-a-lifetime chance? Picture yourself, all geared up and ready to make your mark on the labyrinth. Treasures, excitement and more await! But hark! Our of nowhere, you find yourself surrounded by all manner of vile creatures; golems, dragons, even the dreaded forest deer! Why, the threat alone has been enough to scare off lesser adventures, and taken the lives of too many others. But fear not, my fellow explorers, for I have a solution that will benefit us both. For a price that I'm sure we can negotiate later, you'll be blessed with the services of the legendary (but not really) Dragoon, Sasha! With my stalwart shield to protect your fragile lives, and you doing all the actual hard work, the untold riches waiting in the labyrinth are but mere steps away. So, what are you waiting for? A free pass through the terrors that menace all treasure hunters doesn't come around so often. Hire me, and you have my word that our adventures will be met with resounding success!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Name: Tsubaki (椿)
Class: Masurao
Portrait: 1A
Skin color: Default
Hair color: 5B
Eye color: Heterochromia, one light red and the other dark green.
Voice: Hot-Blooded.

Raised by a old master of the way of the sword, Tsubaki trained under him as his surrogate adopted son. As he was ending his training in the Demon Wolf school, he heard rumors about the Labyrinth. After he finished his training, he packed his belongings and left to change the world-enter the Labyrinth, show his swordsmanship to the world, and perhaps, learn a little something about his parents...

But really, he just likes to fight. Not to the point of sadism or bloodlust, mind you. He finds both serene calm and great joy in the rhythm of the battlefield. Breathe, slash, dodge, breathe, counter, parry... He uses the two parts of this for his different forms. If he focuses on the single blade, he becomes rather focused and fights in an almost a zen-like state. When he focuses on the many blades, he becomes more focused on the joy of it, taunting enemies, cheering allies, cracking jokes and relaxing (but letting his guard down, both figuratively and literally).

Outside of the battlefield, Tsubaki enjoys quieter pursuits like painting and poetry.... Although he usually depicts him and the party's struggles against an FOE or boss. He enjoys both of them and occasionally shows it to the guild.

Name: Libra
Class: Warlock
Portrait: 1B
Skin color: Default.
Hair color: 1B
Eye color: 5A
Voice: Intellectual

Calling Libra smart would be an understatement. Calling him powerful, not unthinkable. Calling him arrogant would be kind of mean, but also not entirely undeserving.

As the middle child of a rich-but-not-royal family, Libra was usually left alone, but that provided him with endless afternoons of reading all the books he could find. At the age of 12, he was sent away to a boarding school to study magic, and he soon found he was very skilled at it. He spent most of his time either practicing magic or reading, and he was one of the smartest people in the school. After he left, he decided he was smart enough to explore the Labyrinth (and write books about it's layout, plants, animals, features, etc.)

He mostly saves his arrogance for his enemies, however, and is very polite and courteous to his fellow guildmates. He is the one who maps the floors, notes the enemies and manages expenses. He spends a lot of his time writing a book for future adventurers about the guild (note, voting Nameless).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
If 'Nameless' wins, can we literally leave the guild name blank, or put in some ellipses or something?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

If 'Nameless' wins, can we literally leave the guild name blank, or put in some ellipses or something?

Guild " "

Literally just space bars. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

The guild name is essentially what characters refer to the player as, so I dunno if that would work out too well in writing.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
"...Farewell, explorers of the Labyrinth, brave Guild ...!"

Doesn't have quite the same punch to it.

(We're just gonna write out the guild name in English if it's less than 8 characters. Same with character names.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Question: Will you be deciding specializations when they unlock or will you tell us to decide?

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 16, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Junpei posted:

Question: Will you be deciding specializations when they unlock or will you tell us to decide?

Each specialization will have its own character--aside from one of the Masurao specializations, which I'll detail why when the time comes.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Kaelin (submitted by Aniodia) is our first Warlock.

I know I said we'd do Necromancer next but we're debating on what to do with a character whose name goes beyond 6 characters (Clarste would really rather just have names in English then have to guide me through inputting everything). Txn, if you're reading this, do you insist on sticking to Lanzoni's name, or can one under 6 characters be used instead?

quote:

Have you ever met someone who's incredibly smug, for seemingly no reason? Not just smug, but so smug, you just want to punch them in the face? The kind of person who just oozes smugness from every pore, even if they're not trying? That's Kaelin. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth, he had everything he's ever needed handed to him, the family servants only feeding more and more into his superiority complex. Even when he went into training as a warlock, it was all but a folly to him, nothing more than a minor dalliance to while away the time. The fact that he actually had the talent to back up his braggadocio took a couple of his classmates by surprise, but it was all fun and games for Kaelin.

When the city of Aeolis opened its gates to the multitudes of explorers' guilds, Kaelin had spun a yarn about how he was going to be the first to the top, and how it was enough of a foregone conclusion that no one else should dare try. Only once his bluff was called did he realize the enormity of his task, and even then, the self-confident Lunarian walked with a swagger in his step the likes of which couldn't be matched (or so he thought). Now if he could just avoid the rest of these commoners on his way to the top, he'd be all set.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Txn, if you're reading this, do you insist on sticking to Lanzoni's name, or can one under 6 characters be used instead?
Lanzon it is :v:. Any name is ok since I really suck at naming my characters. I used font names for my EO3 characters, the Verdana Guild had a hard life.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

More Masurao and Herbalists please.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
HUBADABUDABUDA! The world is mine to control! Under my whims all those who have not submitted Masurao and Herbalists should do so no, or your soul is forfeit to me

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Edit: Finger slipped, sorry.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

As if earlier didn't give it away, our first Necromancer is Lanzon (submitted by Txn).

Coming up later this evening: Cestus and Hound.

quote:

Who doesn't like to have a marvelous body? Working as a model was what he lived for, not because of the amount the artists paid him just to pose, but for being immortalized in the endless work of painters and sculptors from all over the world. But those days are a thing the past.

Lanzoni, the one who loved being the center of attention now lies hidden from the world, his body now covered in scars.You see, having an excellent physique attracted a lot of people but also attracted those who were envious, and those scars are the painful reminder. Alone, his only company was the whispering wind that flew to his window, or so he thought.

One day, he realized that those whispers were not from the wind, but from the dead. Somehow, he could hear and talk to them. Spirits that came to talk to him despite his scars, some even talked about their days exploring ancient ruins, and a few just talked about spending hours looking at the paintings and statues made in his image. That day, he found a new calling, the path of the Necromancer.

With a renewed spirit, he set forth with one goal in his mind, being the most fabulous Necromancer that ever existed. Who knows, maybe he can even recover his tanned body. Yikes dude, you need some sunlight.

Rea fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 16, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Torn between running screaming from the thread to avoid spoilers--it's an EO game, the maps are the spoilers--and sticking around to see how all the stuff we've been hearing about works in practice. Either way, I'm probably not going to follow this one too closely to preserve at least some of the mystery, so there's little point in submitting a character. But I would very much like to see a Hound, Cestus & Reaper in action, under the banner of Guild Chuunibyou (中二病) (which seems only appropriate, given the thread title, and also several of the chosen characters so far :v: ).

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Rangpur posted:

Torn between running screaming from the thread to avoid spoilers--it's an EO game, the maps are the spoilers--and sticking around to see how all the stuff we've been hearing about works in practice. Either way, I'm probably not going to follow this one too closely to preserve at least some of the mystery, so there's little point in submitting a character. But I would very much like to see a Hound, Cestus & Reaper in action, under the banner of Guild Chuunibyou (中二病) (which seems only appropriate, given the thread title, and also several of the chosen characters so far :v: ).

You could always just tune in for the boss updates and scroll down without reading until you see the boss music link image. :v:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Name: Dian
Portrait: 3A, hair purple like 4A
Voice: 19 Apathetic

As the son of the tribe's chieftain, it was natural his battle prowess would rise over others in his training. While his skills improved, so did his ego. With nobody able to match his talent, his power turned into laziness with no goal to try for. After throwing a ceremonial duel out of the dullness of his opponent, he was exiled by his father for that shameful display. Using his sword skills for street performances let him earn enough coin to survive from town to town. With the sudden opening of Yggdrasil, he finally found a goal worth working for: getting some bragging rights to rub in his old man's face.

Name: Dosen
Class: Herbalist
Portrait: 1B, hair and eyes swap default colors
Voice: 15 Polite

There goes a legend of a treasure sleeping in the depths of the labyrinth. A treasure so great, mere words cannot describe it. A treasure that incredible led to Dosen trying (and failing) to sneak into the labyrinth long before it was officially open to the people. The one time he managed to make it inside, the first monster he ran into (or more accurately, an bird's shadow) sent him running for his life. Realizing going alone would be crazy, he took the time to learn survival skills (he just read adventure novels). Now armed and ready with what medicinal knowledge he possesses (read: whatever was in that book he found in the trash last week), he'll let others do all the hard fighting while he provides aide. Whatever it takes to get that legendary treasure.

Unfortunately, this so called legend came from his village's drunkard, so maybe he should learn to stop believing everything people tell him.

oB2Ko Mario
Oct 10, 2012

They're LESBIANS.
Sup folks, I was told that we needed some more character submissions.

Name: Jana
Portrait: Row 2 Column 4, deep red/purple hair, keep the skin color
Voice: Cruel

Jana hails from a traveling circus, known far and wide for its feats of wonder and awe. Following in her parents' footsteps, Jana began learning card tricks at the age of 3, eventually mastering sleight-of-hand by the time she learned how to read and write. She continued to learn all sorts of mind-boggling tricks that, eventually, she became a headliner for the circus. Her most famous tricks involve her swords, featuring the most death-defying stunts any circus-goer has ever seen. From coffin-stabbing to near-decapitations, Jana garnered much attention for her stunts; it wasn't long before rival magicians tried to outperform her and upstage her acts. One day, one such rival uncovered the secrets to her magic, and in a bid to ruin her, he exposed everything about her stunts. Ashamed, Jana left the circus, but never gave up on her sword tricks. While she now works as a sword-for-hire, the Magnificent Jana never lost her magical touch. The stunts she's capable of doing now make her older magic look like cheap parlor tricks, and it's rumored that she incorporates such stunts in her mercenary jobs as well. Come one, come all, and see the most amazing swordplay on earth!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

quote:

Gram's always wanted to go on a grand adventure, but life seems to keep getting in her way. First, her parents needed help on the farm, then she was looking after her siblings and cousins, then there were children of her own, then GRANDchildren...

Now that everyone's finally grown up and there's other, younger people to put in charge, she's finally taking the chance to follow her dream. Who needs a boring quiet retirement when you can have adventure? No stinking monsters or silly youngsters who want her to slow down are going to get in her way, you hear me? NONE.

quote:

Cecil was the third born son of his noble family, destined to never stand out from his elder brothers with regards to his inheritance. He was a listless youth that barely succeeded in anything they introduced him to. Fencing, art, mathematics, dancing, etiquette, nothing stuck to him... until they finally introduced him to music. It turned out he had a magnificent ear for music, and in no time at all he began to become a budding virtuoso. There was no instrument he could not work into a wonderful song, and, indeed, he was naturally proficient in every instrument he laid his hands on. As a young adult, he was already well known far and wide for all the music he composed. He was such a refined gentleman that he was always on demand for every royal dance and ball.

Unfortunately, on his way to yet another party, his caravan was attacked by a horde of Cutters and Bloodbears. Only Cecil managed to barely escape from the attack, with a scar across his chest to show for it. Ever since then, the world assumed that he was dead. They couldn't be more wrong.

Ten years later, a man claiming to be the musical composer of old emerged from the forest, very much covered in bear blood and bear fur. He had a deranged eye and a rather booming voice, quite the contrary to the soft-spoken, slim Cecil of old. No one could get quite a straight answer from him - his answer changes every time they ask. However, there is without a doubt that he does have the same talent as the old Cecil, complete with composing music with his fists (Did you know punching the skull of a bear just right makes the same sound as C-Sharp minor?). And now he's arrived in Aeolis to show off his art. Just... don't let him get too into showing it off, because he might go into a frenzy.

It's a twofer!

Gram (submitted by mischievousart) is our first Hound, and Cecil (submitted by BlackPersona) is our Cestus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:toot: Glad I thought up that idea in time, haha. Colors look good (portrait was already perfect to begin with, after all).

• Locked thread