Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've seen lots of strange and surprising things since I first arrived at this island. But still...the phenomenon taking place right in front of me was blatantly out of this world.

: Huh...huh...?
: Wh-Why...did the statue move?
: That's no statue! They're Monobeasts!
: M-M-M-M-Monster!
: No, I just said they're Monobeasts!

The strange thing about genuine surprise is that when it happens, your voice won't let you express it. I...was forced to accept that. The sudden appearance of a monster might be normal in anime and video games... And that's precisely why...I couldn't grasp the reality of this situation...

I couldn't even feel fear. All I could do was stand aghast.

: N-No...this can't be... This is just...too weird...!
: Am I...having a nightmare or something...?
: Kyahaha! A nightmare, he says! He just admitted his brain is a total flower patch!

: Jeez... You guys sure are a skeptical bunch... If something doesn't fit within your narrow notions of common sense, you just deny it outright... How stupid. Ignorant cavemen are better than you all!
: Classifying events according to their genre is a disease of the modern age.
: Everyone! Please stay back! I-I will protect everyone!

: Even at the cost of my own life...I will protect everyone!
: Hurk! ...Huh? What's this? Blurgh... Ugh...
: Ah, I know! This is nausea! Your sickly sweet sense of justice makes me wanna puke!

: All righty then, it's decided! You'll be my example to everyone!

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO! :siren:

: Wah... Waaaaah...
: WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!
: Wh-What is that!?
: A-blub-blub-blub-blub... It's only the first stage...and Monomi is already dead...!

: I-Is that a demon...!? Or perhaps it's...a weapon from the future...!?
: Monobeasts are dreadful weapons of destruction!

The sudden appearance of a monster... Even though a life-threatening monster appeared, not a single one of us tried to run away. It's not that we didn't realize it was a monster... We were just...vastly out of our element. We had never experienced anything like this before, and had no idea how to deal with it.

That reality was very lethal at this particular moment.

: Puhuhu... That's right, this is what I wanted. This feeling of despair! Giving an example was totally the right call!
: Ah-hahahahahaha!

Unlike the exuberantly laughing Monokuma, we were completely frozen. As though we'd forgotten to breathe... We just stood there, horrified.

We were powerless... No different than ants washed away in a storm.

: Now then, I believe I've made my point...

: Just so we're clear, you guys can't defy me. If you don't want to end up as fish food, you better not disobey me! Just so you know...I don't feel mercy or sympathy. Cuz I'm a bear, after all. An excuse like, "I got high off this tropical atmosphere," won't work on me at all!

: Also, in addition to the killing school trip, I've already updated the e-Handbook. There, the rules for the killing school trip are written, so you better read them thoroughly.
: Ignorance of the rules is no excuse, either. Well, that's also true of any society, really. Now then...
: Enjoy the remainder of this liberating and harsh school trip! *leaves*

No Music.

After he said his piece... Monokuma and his Monobeasts vanished before our eyes... In truth, I...was horribly tired.

Everything was just so unreasonable... I didn't even care if this was the aftermath.

Everyone else...looked the same... We all had this tired expression on our pale faces.

: Wh-What just...happened...?
: U-Um...Um...
: I-I...just won't believe it... That's it... That's all there is to it...
: I-It'd be one thing if we were up against a human or even an animal...

: What the hell can we do against a monster like that!?
: I-It's impossible... Why is something impossible happening...?
: Well, it's not...really impossible. Those Monobeasts or whatever they're called are machines. Thus, Monokuma must also be the same... As long as they're machines... It means someone made them, and is controlling them.

: Who could be responsible...? Why were we put into this unexplainable situation...
: Hey, who is it!? Who!?
: Aha...haha, it could be anyone. It's not like I believe it anyway. There's no way I'd believe something like that.

: More importantly, are you guys hungry? Let's stop thinking about this and just eat.
: ...You can eat first.
: No matter how confused or upset you are, I don't mind. However, remember this... I don't know who in the world is orchestrating this but... We don't need to be cautious of those machines...or even of whoever's controlling them... More than anything, we must be cautious of...

: ...Ourselves. Being brought to a tropical island with complete strangers, and ordered to kill each other to escape... That creates fear in our minds, and the desire to escape that hopeless fear...is our worst enemy.

We looked around at each other's faces... It was obvious from looking at their expressions. Everyone...was forced to admit the truth of what he just said. We had to be honest with ourselves and admit that we also had that potential.

Only a student who kills a classmate can escape this island...

Which means in order to escape this hopeless situation, we must sacrifice a person... However, there's a possibility that a killing may never occur. But... Even I'm no different... So can I be truly confident that something like that isn't gonna happen?

...No, there's no way I can know for sure. In this nightmare of a situation, I don't have the confidence to say that outright. Once you're suspicious of something, you'll start to be suspicious of everything...

Even of yourself.

That's why it felt so hopeless.

That day became a day unlike any other. A day which held a more significant meaning. It was a special day... A very meaningful day full of despair.

That was the beginning.

The killing school trip had begun, and this tropical island was the stage.

:siren: Click here for the True Opening! :siren:

: You have obtained a present: Fosho Broken Wand.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

See, if Monokuma really cared about the rules he'd need to punish himself now. One of those bullets scraped Hajime, and the lead teacher isn't allowed to directly interfere with students unless they break a rule!

I assume in the next update someone will point this out and Monokuma will execute himself. Wow, short game.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

If nothing else, the intro really captured the smugness well here.

Also RIP Usami, at least you tried!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is an example of why I like Fat Togami - He has a very different outlook this time. In the first game he had a similar sentiment but inverted, in the first game he was very "Every man for himself, teamwork will only get you killed", while here he is much wiser. Here he is simply warning people that crimes of passion are really really easy to fall into so to keep themselves in check.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Also since I'm coming into this completely blind, I've taken the liberty of making a spreadsheet for a Danganronpa 2 Deadpool.

Here is the link

For all of you who are following blind like I am, feel free to predict which characters you think will live or die by the end of the game!

But don't think about posting in if you know already who lives or dies! Spoilers are unbearable!!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe Monomi is loving dead.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't believe Monomi is loving dead.

Eh, there's probably a spare. Why would she be in the opening if she were already dead?

It should be a running gag for her to die once an episode.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

We looked around at each other's faces... It was obvious from looking at their expressions. Everyone...was forced to admit the truth of what he just said. We had to be honest with ourselves and admit that we also had that potential.

Only a student who kills a classmate can escape this island...

Which means in order to escape this hopeless situation, we must sacrifice a person... However, there's a possibility that a killing may never occur. But... Even I'm no different... So can I be truly confident that something like that isn't gonna happen?

...No, there's no way I can know for sure. In this nightmare of a situation, I don't have the confidence to say that outright. Once you're suspicious of something, you'll start to be suspicious of everything...

Even of yourself.

Someone on tumblr (who deleted their blog, or I'd link to the source) gave a great summary of the differences between the two Dangan Ronpa protagonists.

swaggykure posted:

: I just *know* that no-one here would ever dream of killing anybody! Let’s spend all the time we can together having fun and being the best of friends!

: All of you bitches are suspicious. Every single one of you.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
drat, I forgot how awesome Danganronpa Super Mix (the OP theme) was. Can't remember where I saw it, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dancingbears posted:

Someone on tumblr (who deleted their blog, or I'd link to the source) gave a great summary of the differences between the two Dangan Ronpa protagonists.

Hajime is such a stick in the mud.

It's really fantastic.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Also since I'm coming into this completely blind, I've taken the liberty of making a spreadsheet for a Danganronpa 2 Deadpool.

Here is the link

For all of you who are following blind like I am, feel free to predict which characters you think will live or die by the end of the game!

But don't think about posting in if you know already who lives or dies! Spoilers are unbearable!!!

I like this idea a lot. This could be a fun little betting pool. I know a fair number of people reading have seen part if not all of the game but it would be fun to read unspoiled or newcomer predictions.

In fact, how about we sweeten the deal? If, at the end of the LP, someone manages to guess the survivors correctly I'll put their name into a random pool (assuming there's more than one) and award one or two winners an avatar gift certificate. If no one gets it perfectly I'll award the certificate to the person who gets the most correct guesses.

Obviously, if you know how the game ends, please don't make predictions that would spoil everyone's fun. I know who the survivors are so if I suddenly see the correct combination a lot I'm going to get suspicious. Not to mention a fair number of you have already said whether or not you've seen the game before.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 16, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What if nobody gets it exactly right? Will the closest person(s) get it?

I should say it now: I was playing dumb. I know how this game ends. I really hate my avatar, but I am not a cheater. I will not participate in this. I will, however, laugh (to myself) to anyone who gets it completely, utterly and horribly wrong. MUAHAHAHAHA.

(But if you ever do this for V3 when it comes out I will participate if NicoB doesn't do it first.)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah I'll award it to the person who got the most correct guesses.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FPzero posted:

I like this idea a lot. This could be a fun little betting pool. I know a fair number of people reading have seen part if not all of the game but it would be fun to read unspoiled or newcomer predictions.

In fact, how about we sweeten the deal? If, at the end of the LP, someone manages to guess the survivors correctly I'll put their name into a random pool (assuming there's more than one) and award one or two winners an avatar gift certificate. If no one gets it perfectly I'll award the certificate to the person who gets the most correct guesses.

Obviously, if you know how the game ends, please don't make predictions that would spoil everyone's fun. I know who the survivors are so if I suddenly see the correct combination a lot I'm going to get suspicious. Not to mention a fair number of you have already said whether or not you've seen the game before.

Sounds awesome!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've gone ahead and also added the contest to the OP in its own section. Have fun guessing, newcomers!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I know who a bunch of the non-survivors are from oren's aborted LP, but nothing past that, so I wonder if that would be half-cheating, making it inappropriate for me to enter. Actually never mind, yes it would be. I'll just sit this one out.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'm surprised you remember much from oren's DR2 LP, honestly. I remembered Chiaki, Naegi, Hinata, Sonia and Togami. The rest I completely forgot about.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Good luck to the people guessing. It will be fun to see what people guess just from initial impressions.

Although, you should put in a cutoff. It should be early enough that the game hasn't hinted who will be the first to die, so maybe after the first round of free time is done?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BlazeEmblem posted:

Good luck to the people guessing. It will be fun to see what people guess just from initial impressions.

Although, you should put in a cutoff. It should be early enough that the game hasn't hinted who will be the first to die, so maybe after the first round of free time is done?

That's a good idea. Once that first round is complete, I'll give 24 hours notice and then I'll ask Jimmy to lock the sheet so it can't be edited any longer.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Huh, that contest seems like a good idea. Shame I already know the answers. (Wouldn't have minded that potential avvy change lol)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

FPzero posted:

That's a good idea. Once that first round is complete, I'll give 24 hours notice and then I'll ask Jimmy to lock the sheet so it can't be edited any longer.

Glad to have the official sanction and OP banner! :)

I'll make sure to lock the sheet once we hit the cut off!

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Actually never mind, yes it would be. I'll just sit this one out.

Ach, if you're not for those reasons then I guess I won't either. Ah well, let's hope we get back to where oren was soon.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'll just be sitting here, waiting for people's reactions.

Knowing the spoilers is simultaneously satisfying and hell to me. But seeing the blind people react is always enjoyable.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 16, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

hopeandjoy posted:

I'll just sitting here, waiting for people's reactions.

Knowing the spoilers is simultaneously satisfying and hell to me. But seeing the blind people react is always enjoyable.

Amen to that, brother.

This shall be humorous.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Question about the survivor for FPzero (spoilers for I guess the end of the game, I don't really know):

Are we just considering who doesn't get murdered/executed to be a survivor? If so, I wouldn't know, but if we're being technical, then I'd have to sit out.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Double Punctuation posted:

Question about the survivor for FPzero (spoilers for I guess the end of the game, I don't really know):

Are we just considering who doesn't get murdered/executed to be a survivor? If so, I wouldn't know, but if we're being technical, then I'd have to sit out.

The "survivors" are anyone from this cast of sixteen that make it to the credits alive.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I don't know if it is a coincidence but Usami Monomi bears some similarities to Mukuro's hair decorations when disguised as Junko. The left is obviously a white rabbit while the right has a similar color scheme like Monomi's. Yeah, the red and pink could be stretching it but still.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Everyone voting in the contest is such a downer. Why can't you just believe in people? Predict that everyone will survive! Surely if they just work together they can get through this without any deaths!

I mean, besides Monomi. But rabbits aren't people so that's fine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Qrr posted:

But rabbits aren't people so that's fine.

Wow.

Enjoy the rest of the LP, racist.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Whoever changed Teruteru's name to Steve...Good call!

Also so far in the dead pool, Chiaki, Teruteru Steve and Ibuki have no votes for living to the end. Dead characters walking?

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Eh, sure why not. I threw in who I thought will live and die.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I'm almost bummed out that I decided to buy the game before the LP because now I'm ~halfway through it and the dead pool is a fantastic idea that I wanna be in on but I already DQ'd myself. Such is life.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember enough of the old LP that I better sit out, alas, but fun to see the speculation up to the point where we got.

gently caress Steve though, he's just so gross.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wow.

Enjoy the rest of the LP, racist.

Monokuma has said that bears aren't people, and he must be right about it because he's a bear (just like he was right about all his other bear facts, like that "bear" is his gender). If bears aren't people, rabbits aren't people. QED.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

Junpei posted:

(But if you ever do this for V3 when it comes out I will participate if NicoB doesn't do it first.)

Oh ho! Picky Penguin hi-five!

Qrr posted:

Monokuma has said that bears aren't people, and he must be right about it because he's a bear (just like he was right about all his other bear facts, like that "bear" is his gender). If bears aren't people, rabbits aren't people. QED.

But rabbits are not bears so they could be people.

That dead/alive list is a fun read for those of us who know what's what. I'm looking forward to when the class trials start up and people have to guess who did it. That'll be fun~ We should have a guessing pool for each case when all the clues are in from the investigations are gathered (before the class trial begins) to see if anyone can detective the truth with just the evidence~

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

To the person that has predicted everyone will survive, I like your optimism! :)

Also, a couple people didn't seem to finish their betting. There are a couple blank spots on the Byakuya column and one person only filled in about 25% of their guesses.

I spent some time last night trying to think of any way to make some sort of thread contest that people who already know the survivors can participate in but I couldn't really think of anything. The best I could think of is a separate betting pool for those people who read the first LP and haven't seen anything past what orenronen got to (which I think was Chapter 3 but I don't know if it was Daily or Deadly life). That would allow those who only know partial spoilers for the game to also place their bets. Such a pool would exclude those characters that no longer apply past the point that LP left off at. It shouldn't be too hard to implement; I'd just need to go find the old LP and see where it left off before making such a pool.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but I'd gladly take some feedback on the idea. Prizes and selection would work exactly the same way. I'd just be likely to post the link inside a spoiler in the OP to avoid people accidentally clicking that one instead of the non-spoilers pool.

No update tonight because I'm taking a day or two to gather some more backlog before starting Chapter 1 in full.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

To the person that has predicted everyone will survive, I like your optimism! :)

Also, a couple people didn't seem to finish their betting. There are a couple blank spots on the Byakuya column and one person only filled in about 25% of their guesses.

I spent some time last night trying to think of any way to make some sort of thread contest that people who already know the survivors can participate in but I couldn't really think of anything. The best I could think of is a separate betting pool for those people who read the first LP and haven't seen anything past what orenronen got to (which I think was Chapter 3 but I don't know if it was Daily or Deadly life). That would allow those who only know partial spoilers for the game to also place their bets. Such a pool would exclude those characters that no longer apply past the point that LP left off at. It shouldn't be too hard to implement; I'd just need to go find the old LP and see where it left off before making such a pool.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not but I'd gladly take some feedback on the idea. Prizes and selection would work exactly the same way. I'd just be likely to post the link inside a spoiler in the OP to avoid people accidentally clicking that one instead of the non-spoilers pool.

No update tonight because I'm taking a day or two to gather some more backlog before starting Chapter 1 in full.

I have no idea whether or not it's a good idea but the last LP went right up to the end of Chapter 3 Investigation, literally ending as everyone went to court.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Maybe it's just me, but it's been years since the DR2 LP. And I wouldn't want to put extra things on your workload, as neat as the idea of the bet sounds.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

Not everyone, I predicted that Teruteru would die. Also I've beaten the game, but hope springs eternal gag guesses are fun, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I personally say, don't worry about it. I'm here to enjoy the LP and the game. I don't feel any need to participate in a contest. Of course if you were gonna buy someone an avatar, feel free to put that money in the SA donation jar anyway.

E: Thread, if this makes you think I'm horribly boring, that's okay.

• Locked thread