Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Well, I'm going blind from here. This is as far as I got before my PS4 corrupted the save and I couldn't be assed to restart.

I know others have said it, TDI, but I love your additions to the conversations. Gives this game more life than it probably deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
...that how this resolves? Kill a pallete-swap and everything's good? Textbook anticlimax. And although we've only just met non-possessed Julienne, she seems sorta generic-formal. I was kinda looking forward to a party member with more of an edge, back before we knew she was possessed. Well, on we trudge.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Still waiting for Reaper to join and/or become important.

Note to TDI: Will we ever fight a dragon?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Dark Id posted:

If this doesn’t work and she keels over or turns into a giant teethed vagina we have to put down or something, you’re still on the hook for guild duty! Got it?!

You mean guide duty here, right?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I got a feeling that a Rules Of Nature is coming up soon. Can't tell you why, though.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Edit: never mind, move along.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

quote:

Julienne came to me with a request. She said that if she were to ever turn her blade against an innocent person... If that ever happened... Then she wanted me to locker her away, somewhere far away from anyone...

Lock?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I was expecting some kind of hamhanded twist. In retrospect, I would have enjoyed that more than what just happened. Someone said earlier that party member plots get resolved before leaving town. This is the most blatant example of that. Sure, a problem was solved. It did very little to advance the overall plot. Oh well, onto the next story beat.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Oh hey, that's kinda n—and it's over.

The worst part about this game is how it teases genuinely interesting developments and then just buries them. In snow.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Hahah this game is completely allergic to actual conflict.

Sounds an awful lot like Golden Sun, now that I think about it. Do the thing because you're the chosen one, also do the thing because some other jerk is here and also wants to go do the thing. Really thinly veiled gates and event flags just because you need to be held back from progressing because that's what a mediocre video game does.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
This just needs a very Xenogears moment of firing a canon shell that turns out to be your dad or finding out all the food the main parties cook has been making was made of people or something. I still haven't lost faith that this game will have something completely batshit happen, but I now have the feeling it's some obscure bullshit you can't see till newgame+ number seven.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So the man who hired our protagonist to murder the title character and thus set the entire narrative into motion turned out to be some unimportant meek butler to a future party member with no real strong feelings towards the job he hired Endir to do in the first place. Sure, maybe there's some important and sinister nature behind the whole possession thing, but no one in the cast, not even the woman who was herself possessed, seems to care about that so why should the player?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Wait, so did the hit on Setsuna essentially get nullified just like that? :psyduck:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, maybe? the possessor might still be around, not that there was any indication of this. julianne herself doesn't seem to give two shits about the pilgrimage thing either way. in a better game, i might think that was suspicious after every other village made a big fuss about setsuna one way or another, but here it is probably meaningless.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Chrono Trigger, as remembered by the developers of I Am Setsuna:

"OH NO Chrono! Marle disappeared into the teleportation machine! We'll have to venture into the unknown to find her and rescu--Oh, wait, here she is. She was just standing behind it. Nevermind."

~Credits~

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

Chrono Trigger, as remembered by the developers of I Am Setsuna:

"OH NO Chrono! Marle disappeared into the teleportation machine! We'll have to venture into the unknown to find her and rescu--Oh, wait, here she is. She was just standing behind it. Nevermind."

~Credits~

Pretty accurate, but I'd say it's more on an individual quest scale, like say, replacing Yakra with Magus as Queen Leene's kidnapper and skipping the entire second trip through the Middle Ages, or having Azala have a heart attack during the first Prehistory trip.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

So, show of hands, who thought the beetle boy was going to be the "particular monster" that had the all-important magic rock the party needed? Maybe have him nobly give it up willingly? Tie that whole plot thread together?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So, show of hands, who thought the beetle boy was going to be the "particular monster" that had the all-important magic rock the party needed? Maybe have him nobly give it up willingly? Tie that whole plot thread together?

I know, right? It's so obvious, and would tie in perfectly with this game's theme of "sorrow". I joked about this feeling improvised, but it's so anticlimactic I honestly wonder if something got cut.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would have been funny as hell if a couple hours after they sent the beetle boy off while telling him to live on, they tracked him down and asked him to die for some woman they barely know. a woman that already tried to kill him once, even!

unfortunately, there is nothing funny in this game.

MagicalPoison
Oct 30, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Nah, Beetle Boy has to save Julienne's life on the icy flow so she too can question whether or not monsters are intelligent.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Hahahaha really you just give her the medicine and it works? Not even a boss battle inside her mind or something? How can the writing be so lame.

The Dark Id posted:

*sweats* You, uh... You stroked my head. Yeah. Gave it a nice little stroke...

What the gently caress Kir.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I was going to append this to the next Snow Chronicle update (and still will for archive purposes.) But here's a video of all the Techs we've gotten so far.

Video: The Techs So Far

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I was in the beetle boy assumption group, too, though thinking about it now, the game also could have gone that way and then shunted away the dramatic choice between human and monster aside with one more trip to the same ice cave to loot the corpse of beetle boy's mom.

The Dark Id posted:

Really. It’s sauna in there.

Which means they won’t necessarily have on.

For you to be journeying with such capable compainions.

It won’t any difference to our journey whether she comes along or not, right?

Lilus... I apologize for having cause you concern.

Compainions sounds like a pun name a villainous adventure party would use in a kid's show.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MagicalPoison posted:

Nah, Beetle Boy has to save Julienne's life on the icy flow so she too can question whether or not monsters are intelligent.

Nah, Julienne's anti-monster racism is probably at an end because she's not possessed (sick?) anymore. Now she'll stop hurting their feelings and just xenocide them like the rest of the party.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The best part of this game is definitely having a super move called "BIG CRUNCH".

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

*sad piano*

"It's the end of your journey Setsuna, at long last. I'm afraid there's only one thing left to do."

"It's okay, Aeterna. I am prepared. Please...hit me with the BIG CRUNCH."

*sadder piano*

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Wait, wait. So half the time, she's all for killing monsters "For the safety of the village."

There's a monster that, if killed, jackass wizard over there will make the medicine to cure her.

Nobody said "Hey, Monster Killer Lady, while you're killing all monsters, could you kill THAT ONE in particular for....reasons?" and then pick the spritnite up from its corpse?

Do you know what game reminds me of? "Cold Equations", a short story written by Tom Godwin. (It was made into a New Twilight Zone episode.") Basically a girl stowed away on a spaceship that was carrying medicine cargo, but IN THE FUTURE they're so AMAZINGLY EFFICIENT with fuel, they put only enough fuel for what was on the ship already. The girl's weight put everything in jeopardy, so to save the ship and colonists, they jettisoned her into space.

Now, Tom Godwin's editor kept sending the story back with suggestions on how to fix that problem, and reasons why nobody would be that stupid to do things this way. But NOPE, Tom Godwin had a MESSAGE. The universe doesn't care about life! Physics is cold and hard! Screw logic and common sense and "options", the girl had to die.

This game is like that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Really the disturbing thing about that story isn't that they'd jettison the kid, but that they didn't check their mass before leaving.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm not particularly attached to Setsuna, frankly. If she dies at the end of this, welp, that's unfortunate. But it won't really help make this game more engaging since killing off characters only works if there's some amount of emotional investment from the player in those characters.

On the other hand, if she doesn't die it won't be particularly interesting either because everyone knows she's not going to die. And given the trend with this game so far, whatever alternate solution is found for the whole monster problem is going to be boring and out of nowhere and unsatisfying.

This is honestly reaching Sonic Boom level of nothing worthwhile happening.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

The Dark Id posted:

I was going to append this to the next Snow Chronicle update (and still will for archive purposes.) But here's a video of all the Techs we've gotten so far.

I take back what I said so far about I Am Setsuna not having enough dual and triple techs, but they still look less satisfying than Chrono Trigger's.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Solitair posted:

I take back what I said so far about I Am Setsuna not having enough dual and triple techs, but they still look less satisfying than Chrono Trigger's.

The sole triple tech available looks pretty neat, I guess? Shame that using it means not having Endir in your party with Nidr, which means no Blowbeat.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Andyzero posted:

Now, Tom Godwin's editor kept sending the story back with suggestions on how to fix that problem, and reasons why nobody would be that stupid to do things this way. But NOPE, Tom Godwin had a MESSAGE. The universe doesn't care about life! Physics is cold and hard! Screw logic and common sense and "options", the girl had to die.

This game is like that.

I googled it cause I haven't thought of that story in years. Apparently, it was the other way around. Godwin was trying to save the girl. The editor was the one who wanted that little girl dead for DRAMA. That story sat with me for a while, when I was a kid, but now that I see the flaws in the story, it just comes off as a bit pointless. Much like this game :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the Cold Equations story, here's a pretty neat take on it, titled "The Uncarriable Formula" in short comic form: http://bato.to/reader#58a6ffaa940040b9
(If you don't have a batoto account, try this link instead.)

I'm just assuming the translator didn't know about the short story and formula is supposed to be equation, but you never know with that author.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Big Crunch is indeed neat, the rest kind of lose something with the momentum and hit flashes though.

Woodbeam
Dec 30, 2012

Junpei posted:

Still waiting for Reaper to join and/or become important.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Reaper is the knight Julienne went back for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh the op is weird because this game sucks and every jrpg released in the past decade has been better than it, and also chrono trigger

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
This camera angle even makes all the animations look boring and awkward.

Why is Aertena the only one with unique animations for most of her moves? Kir and Setsuna especially just kind of wiggle in place and then an ugly graphic happens(serously, that Lightning effect looks like they hosed something up in the animation code).

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Endorph posted:

tbh the op is weird because this game sucks and every jrpg released in the past decade has been better than it, and also chrono trigger

Thanks for the input, champ. :jerkbag:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Woodbeam posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out Reaper is the knight Julienne went back for.

I'll laugh if Reaper got launched all the way here by that exploding power stone, slammed into beetle boy's mom on the mountain the knights were at, caused the avalanche, died, and then infected Julienne with his vengeful spirit or something and has now been essentially killed by random magic medicine without anyone even realizing he was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zagglezig posted:

I'll laugh if Reaper got launched all the way here by that exploding power stone, slammed into beetle boy's mom on the mountain the knights were at, caused the avalanche, died, and then infected Julienne with his vengeful spirit or something and has now been essentially killed by random magic medicine without anyone even realizing he was there.

I really want to believe that. It would be enough for me to forgive every dumb cliche up to this point.

• Locked thread