Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cloud of Darkness is the final boss of the World of Darkness 24-man (the previous parts are Labyrinth of the Ancients and Crystal Tower, which have Phlegethon, Scylla, Glasya Labolas, Amon and Xande). That's 2.x content.

Heavensward won't get you much until you've hit 50/completed the 2.0 stuff unless you want to be an Au Ra (dragonwaif/dragonjojo) straight away. Past that, it has more Main Scenario quests, three new jobs (Machinist, Astrologian, Dark Knight), raids (three tiers of Alexander, currently two soon to be three 24 mans in Void Ark and Weeping City of Mhach), a bunch of dungeons, primals (Bismark, Ravana, Sephiroth/Fiend, Sophia/Goddess eventually Zurvan/Demon, Knights of the Round), more zones, flying, etc etc.

Generally speaking most people have just A Realm Reborn up to 50 and then get Heavensward once they clear The Praetorium so that the EXP they get doing the story quests for Leviathan, Ramuh, Shiva etc don't go to waste, with the exception of being an Au Ra right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Thanks, that's a pretty solid explanation for me to roll with. I like the sound of the Machinist job because I'm a fan of being the one techie in a room full of mages (plus judging by the Machinist skillset in Record Keeper it looks like it's a good moveset for me), but I'm pretty sure I'll need to work up to it anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

kirbysuperstar posted:

a bunch of dungeons, primals (Bismark, Ravana, Sephiroth/Fiend

It's "Sephirot", the names can be confusing but thankfully they're not completely identical.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's a typo on my part.

'course they went and made his Extreme achievement "Veni Veni Venias"..

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gologle posted:

There is literally no reason to NOT get FFXIV with this sale. You are doing only yourself a disservice by not becoming engaged in this experience.

I mean unless they're discounting the actual monthly fee you're barely saving money

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mega64 posted:

Haven't played in a year but DGKK was chill as gently caress when I played so hopefully it's still the case.

I'm on a break but when I play it's always with DGKK. They are good peeps.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Do the PS3/PS4 versions share servers? I played for a few months like a year and a half ago, and had a lot of fun. I'm thinking about playing again for the winter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Do the PS3/PS4 versions share servers? I played for a few months like a year and a half ago, and had a lot of fun. I'm thinking about playing again for the winter.

Ps3,4, pc all share. The main news of 4.0 is that ps3 support is ending in like july.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't say much about it but I can at least say that WoFF's translation is frigging hilarious.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tae posted:

Ps3,4, pc all share. The main news of 4.0 is that ps3 support is ending in like july.

Good. Console babies either gotta man up and gtfo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

I can't say much about it but I can at least say that WoFF's translation is frigging hilarious.

Can you say whether it's good Y/N?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Can you say whether it's good Y/N?

Sadly I can not.

I can say this is one of the descriptions in the game though: "Reaver Mu: A mu originally found in a place called the River Belle. So why is it called a "reaver mu"? Well, kids, that's because it was mistranslated in that OTHER game. However the idea of a cute, fluffy river mirage plundering Grymiore was so charming that we decided "What the hey!" And that's how mistakes live forever"

Take from that what you will.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Well, you gotta give them credit for being so self-aware. Can't say there's much to dislike about it so far.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sadly I can not.

I can say this is one of the descriptions in the game though: "Reaver Mu: A mu originally found in a place called the River Belle. So why is it called a "reaver mu"? Well, kids, that's because it was mistranslated in that OTHER game. However the idea of a cute, fluffy river mirage plundering Grymiore was so charming that we decided "What the hey!" And that's how mistakes live forever"

Take from that what you will.

Day 1 Purchase

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

morallyobjected posted:

Day 1 Purchase

Already pre-ordered for me. The theme that comes on the PS4 is really cute too and has FF music and sound effects.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I wish I was on board for WoFF. It should appeal to me, Cactuar conductors and self-referential translation humor should be extremely my poo poo but eh

not feelin' it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I wish I was on board for WoFF. It should appeal to me, Cactuar conductors and self-referential translation humor should be extremely my poo poo but eh

not feelin' it

What is it you don't like about it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tae posted:

Server is population. From what I'm told, Excabler is one of the largest populations in the game and like a 100 goons with their own companies play there.

Nobody cares if you're regular. FF14 for the most part is a chill single player game, and goons get you gear and dungeons way faster.

Yep, only limitation (but it's a big one) is that Excal has so many players on it that most hours of the day character creation on the server isn't allowed. If you want to play on Excal you'll need to createyour character at like 4 am or something and hope activity has died down enough for it to let you in.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

ImpAtom posted:

What is it you don't like about it?

I don't think there's anything I can really finger in particular, or rather I can't figure out WHY what I've seen isn't working out. Most of my posts these past six months have been in the FFRK thread so it's not like I'm not susceptible to FF nostalgia, if anything I'm going through a phase of it. What I've seen just hasn't sparked any interest. The Cactuar conductor cutscene, for example, I just did not find funny in the slightest. I've also never been a chibi kinda guy. I don't mind cutesy, stylized or idealized art to a point but I guess this goes past my tolerance limits. It failed to interest me to the point where I didn't even know combat was turn-based until just now when I went to confirm that it was because I assumed it was real-time! That's actually a notch in its favor but right now my feelings on trying this game out (at all, not day 1 purchase) teeter between "eh, maybe" and "nah, probably not".

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not going to buy WoFF because all the "lol XD see how 4th wall breaking we are lol xddd" hipster garbage is for trash can burning tumblrites who post on reddit about how their Chinpokemans are so cute and how behemoth is the strongest because his IV type synergizes with the red chocobo's DV levels and how they want to stick their dick into one or more chibi female characters.

But I'll admit, when I saw Celes with her dumb 90's headband, I was tempted to give in, but I can't lose face.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
For me, personally, WoFF feels too... magic girl children's-anime-ish? Kids with magic powers soaring in slow-motion through super-saturated landscapes while generic-sounding "inspiring" songs play. I know FF is always described as "anime" but none of the mainline games really had this feel. It feels more like Kingdom Hearts than FF, and I never got into KH either.

I have only seen a few trailers though, so I acknowledge my first impressions could be wrong.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

For me, personally, WoFF feels too... magic girl children's-anime-ish? Kids with magic powers soaring in slow-motion through super-saturated landscapes while generic-sounding "inspiring" songs play. I know FF is always described as "anime" but none of the mainline games really had this feel. It feels more like Kingdom Hearts than FF, and I never got into KH either.

I genuinely have no idea what you mean by this either from the trailers or from actually playing the game. It's goofy and lighthearted but not in any way that feels out of tone of the series to me, at least assuming you're counting the SNES/NES games and FF9. A huge chunk of the jokes in the game are literally references to or even borrowed directly from the mainline games.

Admittedly I also felt like Bravely Second was fine and that was like 90% puns and stupid jokes by weight so YMMV.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 16, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You should get WoFF because sephiroth is in it and shelke

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think you should watch some actual WoFF gameplay before passing judgement on it because it looks fun as heck and I'm excited. I feel like a lot of people just see that the main characters look KH-y and immediately write the game off.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
plus there's a demo next week (?) so maybe try that too, since there's nothing to lose

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely have no idea what you mean by this either from the trailers or from actually playing the game.

I mean like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2dKCamd83I&t=163s It literally looks like the opening to a children's anime. Doesn't mean the game won't be good, but for a first impression the aesthetic both doesn't grab me and doesn't feel very "Final Fantasy."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what if.... final fantasy IS a childrens anime

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Also, I can already tell I hate the "cutesy" sidekick Tama in the first 15 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1iAAT80WE. Holy poo poo is that an annoying speech "quirk."

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, I can already tell I hate the "cutesy" sidekick Tama in the first 15 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP1iAAT80WE. Holy poo poo is that an annoying speech "quirk."

Wow this looks awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2dKCamd83I&t=163s It literally looks like the opening to a children's anime. Doesn't mean the game won't be good, but for a first impression the aesthetic both doesn't grab me and doesn't feel very "Final Fantasy."

I guess we have very different ideas of Final Fantasy but it's sort of bewildering to me that with how popular Final Fantasy 5 is here anyone would seriously argue that cheesy adventure is not FF in tone.

Edit: Like I seriously can understand going "Well, I don't like the one" but saying it isn't Final Fantasy is sort of confusing. We literally had a mainline Final Fantasy game starring a boy and a girl who collect monsters while being followed by a floating animal character with a cutie speech quirk so unless you're saying it is missing insane amounts of melodrama and dialogue about paradoxes I honestly don't know what you mean.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 16, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WOFF is going to be hellaciously good.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I guess we have very different ideas of Final Fantasy but it's sort of bewildering to me that with how popular Final Fantasy 5 is here anyone would seriously argue that cheesy adventure is not FF in tone.

Edit: Like I seriously can understand going "Well, I don't like the one" but saying it isn't Final Fantasy is sort of confusing. We literally had a mainline Final Fantasy game starring a boy and a girl who collect monsters while being followed by a floating animal character with a cutie speech quirk so unless you're saying it is missing insane amounts of melodrama and dialogue about paradoxes I honestly don't know what you mean.

I mean I've explained it several times, but you seem to be putting arguments in my mouth. I never said anything against cheesy adventure or even collecting monsters with a cutesy sidekick (although I don't think many people will say XIII-2 was improved by the cutesy floating sidekick with a speech quirk). I'm talking about young children apparently on a quest to save their mom, presented in a sparkly, slow-motion leap through the air while sappy upbeat music plays and they grin like idiots at how magical the whole thing is. That right there creates the feeling of an anime kids show more than any FF game I've played. Even XIII-2 didn't do that; it starts with a grimdark battle in the afterlife between a valkyrie and a dragon, and then a girl moping about her dead/timefragged sister. I don't love melodrama (and I'm guessing this game will have plenty), but it still doesn't inspire nostalgia in me because it doesn't feel like the other FF games.

But it's ok for us to have different opinions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm talking about young children apparently on a quest to save their mom, presented in a sparkly, slow-motion leap through the air while sappy upbeat music plays and they grin like idiots at how magical the whole thing is.

More Final Fantasy games than not are about teenagers who are on quests which involve their families and the mysterious history behind them? And I don't think you're trying to claim that Final Fantasy doesn't have cheerful uplifting music so... what?

I mean are you saying Final Fantasy 9 doesn't feel like Final Fantasy? The one that opens up with brightly colored cartoon characters rescuing a princess and clearly enjoying themselves the entire time?

It isn't a case of difference in opinion, I genuinely do not understand what you mean about it not being "final fantasy' unless you mean it isn't the specific Final Fantasy you like?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
woff's intro looks like kingdom hearts

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

More Final Fantasy games than not are about teenagers who are on quests which involve their families and the mysterious history behind them? And I don't think you're trying to claim that Final Fantasy doesn't have cheerful uplifting music so... what?

I mean are you saying Final Fantasy 9 doesn't feel like Final Fantasy? The one that opens up with brightly colored cartoon characters rescuing a princess and clearly enjoying themselves the entire time?

It isn't a case of difference in opinion, I genuinely do not understand what you mean about it not being "final fantasy' unless you mean it isn't the specific Final Fantasy you like?

Jesus already, it's not the broad story building blocks like "on a quest involving family". It's that

corn in the bible posted:

woff's intro looks like kingdom hearts

Or it looks like it belongs in Sailor Moon. It looks like this:

FFV and IX are probably my favorites in the series, but show me a scene where Vivi leaps through the air in slow motion with sparkles around him while he grins stupidly about the grand adventure he's having. And if you simply can't grasp this, I give up.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the character models and animation look like kingdom hearts. its very nomura

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

actually if vivi did leap about sparkling and grinning about his grand adventure that would make the game even better

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

actually if vivi did leap about sparkling and grinning about his grand adventure that would make the game even better

Only if they were sufficiently self-aware about it. But Vivi would never leap sparkling and grinning because the world is always out to crap on Vivi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

FFV and IX are probably my favorites in the series, but show me a scene where Vivi leaps through the air in slow motion with sparkles around him while he grins stupidly about the grand adventure he's having. And if you simply can't grasp this, I give up.

I'm pretty sure the exact reason you chose Vivi here is because "grins stupidly about the great adventure he's having" is early-game Zidane in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZMiQeeN8k

Here, for example, is Bravely Second's opening. You know, the franchise everyone keeps saying is a throwback to old Final Fantasy games? I'm not really seeing a huge difference between the two.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
And I mean, I'm pretty sure that jumping through the air sparkling and having a shitload of fun is probably a gamebreaking three-ability combo in FFV that one-shots Twintania or something.