Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOeQ9-0PTE8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

More Final Fantasy games than not are about teenagers who are on quests which involve their families and the mysterious history behind them?

I know this is the case more often than not, but whenever it comes up, it always shocks me that Locke is like 25 because he's the one character you'd expect to be 18 or 19.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I know this is the case more often than not, but whenever it comes up, it always shocks me that Locke is like 25 because he's the one character you'd expect to be 18 or 19.

Yeah, Locke being 25 and Celes being 18 is honestly kind of weird on a lot of levels. They feel like they should be the same age at minimum or Locke should be slightly younger, not a 7 year age gap.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The cardinal rule of JRPGs is that none of the characters' ages make any sense. Like in that specific example, I know she's genetically engineered and all that but how the hell is Celes a general at age 18?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

locke already had a full life before celes and is now a grizzled old man i think thats what theyre going for with the rachel reveal. idk i havent played it in 25 years

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm having trouble thinking of female party members in a FF game who aren't super young. FFVI has a pretty good cast of dudes in their mid-late 20s or older, but the ladies are teenagers and a preteen.

The oldest I can think of is a tie between Aerith and Lulu at 22, unless you count FFIV:TAY in which Rosa is a mom.

e: In looking up all these ages I was reminded that Ashe's middle name is B'nargin which is hilarious

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
Squall is like 16.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

spotlessd posted:

Squall is like 16.
That at least makes sense, the entire cast of VIII is high schoolers (+ a student teacher who's barely older than them).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of female party members in a FF game who aren't super young. FFVI has a pretty good cast of dudes in their mid-late 20s or older, but the ladies are teenagers and a preteen.

The oldest I can think of is a tie between Aerith and Lulu at 22, unless you count FFIV:TAY in which Rosa is a mom.

e: In looking up all these ages I was reminded that Ashe's middle name is B'nargin which is hilarious

Fran is at least 50, but outside of a brief party visit by Edea and silly time/crystal shenanigans in XIII I think that's it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I'm having trouble thinking of female party members in a FF game who aren't super young.

in hironobu sakaguchi's final fantasy 13, sarah is so old that she has grandkids and seth's son is like 60

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fran's not human, so that's cheating.

I'm trying to look for who else might be of reasonable ages in Final Fantasy casts, and everyone I look at is in their early twenties. Lightning is 21 in XIII (I don't know the character so I dunno if she should be different), Faris and Agrias are both 20 (surprising to me, but sounds right enough), I can't find ages for Maria and Leila from II...

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Speaking of ages I'm playing through FF IX and Eiko is freaking 6 years old.

She's 6. 6 years old and going off to save the world with some teenagers.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Grozz Nuy posted:

The cardinal rule of JRPGs is that none of the characters' ages make any sense. Like in that specific example, I know she's genetically engineered and all that but how the hell is Celes a general at age 18?

Final Fantasy 9 especially seems stupid with the ages.

Zidane is 16.
Freya is 19.
Garnet is 16.
Steiner is 33.

So as my wife and I have been playing, we think of Zidane as 21, Garnet as 19, Freya as 26, and Steiner as 45. Makes a lot of the dialogue interactions a lot more believable.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

To be fair she's an independent and mature as gently caress 6-year-old, she's been living on her own with just moogles for the last few years

e: The further I look into this the funnier it gets. Every time I think "aha, a playable adult woman" she turns out to be a loving teenager

Meliadoul is 18, somehow

e2: How old is Minfilia from XIV? The scions aren't exactly playable but she strikes me as older than 22. Y'shtola and Yda are both fairly young-looking.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 16, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Everyone in this thread that claims to like Final Fantasy but haven't experienced life as a Manderville Man/Woman are just lying to themselves.

There is nothing more powerful than that family.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Lightning was 21 in FFXIII. After the first game anime/time shenanigans kicked in though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Fran's not human, so that's cheating.

I'm trying to look for who else might be of reasonable ages in Final Fantasy casts, and everyone I look at is in their early twenties. Lightning is 21 in XIII (I don't know the character so I dunno if she should be different), Faris and Agrias are both 20 (surprising to me, but sounds right enough), I can't find ages for Maria and Leila from II...

Wasn't lightning supposed to be an officer in the army or something

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wasn't lightning supposed to be an officer in the army or something

She was a police officer. Well, technically she was a member of the Guardian Corps but they are Cocoon's police.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Leper Residue posted:

She's one of the last summoners. It's her ~Destiny~. I was silly but didn't mind her too much since she was precocious instead of saccharine.

Re:WoFF's tone, I think it looks on par with Bravely Second and KH. Not necessarily ideal but we've known for a while that this was going to be a silly meta-adventure starring two kids ala the DS Crystal Chronicles games. It's not a big deal to me.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

To be fair she's an independent and mature as gently caress 6-year-old, she's been living on her own with just moogles for the last few years

e: The further I look into this the funnier it gets. Every time I think "aha, a playable adult woman" she turns out to be a loving teenager

Meliadoul is 18, somehow

e2: How old is Minfilia from XIV? The scions aren't exactly playable but she strikes me as older than 22. Y'shtola and Yda are both fairly young-looking.

IIRC, Minfilia is in her late 20s. Most of the other Scions of the Seventh Dawn who were around since the start of Realm Reborn are implied to be at least in their 30s, barring maybe Yda. The only member in general who's probably grossly overachieving for their age is Alphinaud. Y'know, being the more-or-less leader of the Scions as of the end of patch 3.4 at the tender young age of effing sixteen. Unless Yugiri is secretly like a nineteen year old master shinobi or something.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 16, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Alphinaud earned it, though! He got too big for his britches and spent the entirety of Heavensward having the entire cast clowning on him, he's due to have his day. :unsmith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Zidane being a cocky horny teenager is perfectly fitting imo

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

7 has one of the more sensible cast age-wise. Most people are 20+, other than Yuffie who's a teenage goon and Red kind of, for his species. Then you've got Barret and Cid who have lived through some bad juju and seen their dreams die.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
4 also has an older cast. Cecil, Kain, and Rosa are around 20, and there's three kid characters, but Edward and Edge are mid-20's, Yang is mid-30's, Cid is mid-50's, and Tellah's 60.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
With a few story-relevant exceptions, I tend to just insert my own ages onto characters unless it's relevant. As I got older it became hard to suspend the belief of ages for some of the things characters have to do and how they act.

Give me an RPG with 30+ year olds.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The ages being so obviously wrong in XV makes me MAD

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

With a few story-relevant exceptions, I tend to just insert my own ages onto characters unless it's relevant. As I got older it became hard to suspend the belief of ages for some of the things characters have to do and how they act.

Give me an RPG with 30+ year olds.

To be fair, silly ages pretty big thing with Japanese video games in general. Jill Valentine is ex-Delta Force and part of an elite police organization at the age of 24. Julia Chang is a leading ecosystem biogenetic scientist and martial artist at 20. Miles Edgeworth became a government prosecutor also at age 20. Silly things like college educations, training time, and pre-law internships are all apparently very optional and unnecessary.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

outside of games where age is kind of an important thing i couldn't tell you the age of basically any video game character ever and idk why people get hung up on what amounts to a piece of trivia in an instruction manual being unrealistic

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if you asked me if palom and porom were 6 one day i'd say yes and then if you asked me on another day if they were 12 i'd say yes

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
As a huge fan of Mystic Quest I am greatly looking forward to World of Final Fantasy

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cavelcade posted:

7 has one of the more sensible cast age-wise. Most people are 20+, other than Yuffie who's a teenage goon and Red kind of, for his species. Then you've got Barret and Cid who have lived through some bad juju and seen their dreams die.

VII and VIII are actually fairly sensible for the most part. X's cast looks older than they should be (Lulu being early 20s is baffling) but I guess Spira lends itself to 'grow older quickly' mentality.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mr. Locke posted:

IIRC, Minfilia is in her late 20s. Most of the other Scions of the Seventh Dawn who were around since the start of Realm Reborn are implied to be at least in their 30s, barring maybe Yda.

And Urianger is like 1500 years old according to 1.0.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ApplesandOranges posted:

VII and VIII are actually fairly sensible for the most part. X's cast looks older than they should be (Lulu being early 20s is baffling) but I guess Spira lends itself to 'grow older quickly' mentality.

X is a case where if they were older (sans Tidus) it would be strange.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

locke already had a full life before celes and is now a grizzled old man i think thats what theyre going for with the rachel reveal. idk i havent played it in 25 years

It makes sense that Locke would be 25-30, it's just that Celes should be too. Kefka and Leo are her peers and are both 30+.

I think FF4 makes a lot more sense if Cecil, Kain, and Rosa are 5-10 years older too.

Ultimately it's irrelevant tho, yeah. There's very little in the way of a concrete timeline in the older games so you can basically think of the characters as those ages without it actually changing anything. That room for interpretation is prolly one reason people remember the stories of older RPGs being so good; they filled in all the blanks with stuff that makes the most sense or is more thematically appropriate to them than what the writers would've come up with.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

outside of games where age is kind of an important thing i couldn't tell you the age of basically any video game character ever and idk why people get hung up on what amounts to a piece of trivia in an instruction manual being unrealistic

Yeah I'm kind of wondering if everyone here keeps an age list of their favorite games characters or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Yeah I'm kind of wondering if everyone here keeps an age list of their favorite games characters or something.

It's more I remember really useless stuff.

Though I just looked up everything in my last post on the FF Wiki anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah uh trivia is just a Nerd Thing + we're presumably all communicating on this forum via incredible technology that puts the ages of all our favorite game characters a few button presses away 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Character age obviously can mean a lot to writing, though; Cecil choking on his first real mission because he can't handle killing innocent people VS Cecil having a crisis of conscience after doing so dozens/hundreds of times are two different characters. FF4's script suggests that he's been doing his job for a while and that something in both the nature of his job and himself is changing, which given his lofty post implies a character older than 20 to me. That's all!

Baku fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 16, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF Wiki is good stuff.

quote:

In the novelization Final Fantasy II Muma no Meikyū, Guy was abandoned by his biological family in the wild, and was found and raised by a beast named Mauza until the age of ten.

Gau is literally FF2's Guy.

Also his Amano art is weird as gently caress.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How else are you supposed to wish them a happy birthday

(happy birthday speedwagon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008