Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phone posted:

I just remembered one of the funny parts from the movie.

After the special task force bureau is assembled, and the one guy makes a discovery, shrieks while he spins in his chair, and then yells a bit and runs around the room with his laptop.

I love gags like that.

Yeah this and the "soggy noodle" bit got laughs in the place.

Also the music in this was utterly wonderful. The original score was great and I loved how they said gently caress it and put in the mono mix of all 3-4 Godzilla leitmotifs and beats, even using the sound effects of the explosions and weapons from the old movies. Aesthetically it was an awesome experience--I especially loved the shock of his emergence at night. It was far cooler than the atomic breath scene in the 2014 movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah this and the "soggy noodle" bit got laughs in the place.

This actually provided the biggest laugh of the night in my theater. The moment the guy said "Aw, my noodles got soggy" it was worth a chuckle on its own, but this girl down the row from me yelled out "Your entire capital city is on fire!" Cue even bigger laugh!

And that is my "soggy noodle" story.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The soggy noodle scene really is one of the better bits I've seen in a long while. This film is incredibly nuanced in terms of tone. Even in this already overtly satiric style, there manages to be this well-timed "comedic relief" from the morbid absurdity of everything that's going on. The film really ropes you into the 'cosmic joke' of what's happening.

Like, basically, the closest way I would approximate it, explaining to someone who'd never seen it, is like the original film, but with all of the "human interest" removed. The chemistry between Hasegawa as Yaguchi and Ishihara as Patterson is like this constant, unstated joke at their chaste, conservative expense. There's this subtle self-consciousness about Ishihara basically playing into the post-war trope of "the foreign woman," who's this exotic, 'forbidden fruit' to Yaguchi. But the most intimate behavior which we see paralleled between Patterson and Yaguchi, and Patterson and President Ross, is hands touching: a handshake for the former, a paternalistic caress in the latter. All melodrama is just another part of the advancement of ideology.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The only problem with the tadpole godzilla is his eyes just look a little off. Like in the uncanny valley sort of way. Or maybe it''s just because the situation is so patently ridicolous/absurd.

What are you referring to by soggy noodle scene.

All in all, it's probably my film of the year.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Stairmaster posted:

The only problem with the tadpole godzilla is his eyes just look a little off. Like in the uncanny valley sort of way. Or maybe it''s just because the situation is so patently ridicolous/absurd.

When the pm is about to eat his ramen and he just goes My noodles are soggy. I knew this job would be hard.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

The eyes are actually my favorite thing about the new designs. All the previous Godzilla designs have these expressive eyes with some kind of intelligence behind them. The blank eyes of the new Godzillas are super creepy since they show that they're completely alien animals. In fact, the eyes probably don't even see. The scientists speculate that Godzilla was mutated from a bottom dwelling sea creatures, and the thing about those kinds of animals (they're called troglofauna, I think) is that even though they have eyes, they're completely vestigial, since there isn't any light at the bottom of the ocean with which to see. Later, they establish that Godzilla has radar sense, implying that he isn't using his eyes. That's why the fourth form's eyes are so tiny and googly. They're not focusing on anything. I really like the biological aspect to the new Godzilla and that he's more likely some kind of weird fish than a lizard this time around.

The eyes also make the Godzillas look more like puppets and rubber costumes, which is nice.

The "soggy noodle" scene is when we're first introduced to the new prime minister. After his briefing, he looks at his noodles and whines that they're soggy. The punchline is pretty great, "I knew this job wouldn't be easy."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think I missed that because I was in the bathroom.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I feel like I need to this again before it goes away. I watched it opening day and definitely liked it but was not nearly as positive about it as others here. One thing I've noticed through everyone's comments: everyone here watches anime and has apparently seen Evangelion. I do not so I feel like some of the things that are maybe anime tropes/staples felt strange and out of place for me. A couple off the top of my heead: crazy googly eyes: I SWEAR I've seen something like that in a brief clip or screenshot or something from an anime. Something about it definitely screaming anime to me. I didn't mind it though, I thought it was cool and interesting. The other was the music: definitely some really weird music choices that felt very much like something I've seen in modern Japanese movies and I'm guessing anime, having music that is definitely doesn't fit traditionally with whats on screen, like the weird almost jazzy emotive music while goji breathes hellfire on tokyo, and the totally silly marching music during the final godzilla-defeating counter measures. Both felt very out of place and kinda took me out of it.

Like I said, I think I'm gonna have to see this again, not least of which because I actually did like it alot, but I feel like I'm missing something that you guys all liked to so much about it. I don't think I can drag my wife to this again so I'll probably go to the movies alone for the first time ever.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Matt Frank, Godzilla comics artist posted:

One of the elements I find amazing and fascinating about the potentially concurrent Godzilla franchises we have on our hands is that they represent two opposing aspects of the character that are, for all intents and purposes, equal parts "Godzilla," which is wonderful, because they are completely different characters.
Shin Godzilla is the God of Destruction. It has no empathy for humankind whatsoever, nor does it ask for understanding. It is a specter of death. An instinctual creature that is learning how to combat and conquer the world around it. It only exhibits rage once it is injured for the first time, and retribution is swift and all-consuming.
Legendary Godzilla is the King of the Monsters. An alpha-predator that reserves its wrath for that which is hates. An ancient creature, full of experience and waning strength, he nevertheless fights on to protect his territory and kill his enemies. Though he cares little for the scurrying creatures under his feet, they do not deserve his wrath. There are greater foes to combat, greater battles to win.
Both are Godzilla, and it's a testament to the versatility of the franchise that we can be spoiled like this right now - with literally TWO Godzillas.

Just some late-night poetic waxin' ;)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Gozinbulx posted:

I feel like I need to this again before it goes away. I watched it opening day and definitely liked it but was not nearly as positive about it as others here. One thing I've noticed through everyone's comments: everyone here watches anime and has apparently seen Evangelion. I do not so I feel like some of the things that are maybe anime tropes/staples felt strange and out of place for me. A couple off the top of my heead: crazy googly eyes: I SWEAR I've seen something like that in a brief clip or screenshot or something from an anime. Something about it definitely screaming anime to me. I didn't mind it though, I thought it was cool and interesting. The other was the music: definitely some really weird music choices that felt very much like something I've seen in modern Japanese movies and I'm guessing anime, having music that is definitely doesn't fit traditionally with whats on screen, like the weird almost jazzy emotive music while goji breathes hellfire on tokyo, and the totally silly marching music during the final godzilla-defeating counter measures. Both felt very out of place and kinda took me out of it.

Like I said, I think I'm gonna have to see this again, not least of which because I actually did like it alot, but I feel like I'm missing something that you guys all liked to so much about it. I don't think I can drag my wife to this again so I'll probably go to the movies alone for the first time ever.

You're probably thinking of the kinds of scrambling, scrumbling monsters that show up in Miyazaki movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gozinbulx posted:

I don't watch anime and have never seen Evangelion, and I've been singing this movie's praises since I saw it.

And don't feel weird about seeing a movie alone. The expected social nature of theater-going has always baffled me.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pospysyl posted:

The eyes are actually my favorite thing about the new designs. All the previous Godzilla designs have these expressive eyes with some kind of intelligence behind them. The blank eyes of the new Godzillas are super creepy since they show that they're completely alien animals. In fact, the eyes probably don't even see. The scientists speculate that Godzilla was mutated from a bottom dwelling sea creatures, and the thing about those kinds of animals (they're called troglofauna, I think) is that even though they have eyes, they're completely vestigial, since there isn't any light at the bottom of the ocean with which to see. Later, they establish that Godzilla has radar sense, implying that he isn't using his eyes. That's why the fourth form's eyes are so tiny and googly. They're not focusing on anything. I really like the biological aspect to the new Godzilla and that he's more likely some kind of weird fish than a lizard this time around.

The eyes also make the Godzillas look more like puppets and rubber costumes, which is nice.

Similarly, his teeth in his final form are tiny, jagged crooked little things which are sticking out of his jaw at seemingly random places because what the gently caress would he need teeth for? He's powered internally so it's not like he's going to be hunting for food, in his final form they've become vestigial.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yaguchi being fairly obviously a Komeito/Japanese Restoration/Party for Japanese Kokoro guy makes his story interesting from a political perspective, since for all his grumbling about democratic inaction, it's through democratic action that they're able to defeat Godzilla and it's the hierarchical approach of the governing party which fails.

pospysyl posted:

The "soggy noodle" scene is when we're first introduced to the new prime minister. After his briefing, he looks at his noodles and whines that they're soggy. The punchline is pretty great, "I knew this job wouldn't be easy."

He uses his eyes. He's clearly focusing on the helicopters during the aborted attack scene and he flicks a nicitating membrane over his eyes to protect them from the atomic breath.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

resurgam40 posted:

This actually provided the biggest laugh of the night in my theater. The moment the guy said "Aw, my noodles got soggy" it was worth a chuckle on its own, but this girl down the row from me yelled out "Your entire capital city is on fire!" Cue even bigger laugh!

Did people laugh because the obvious joke went directly above this person's head?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Gozinbulx posted:

I thought some of the music usage felt inappropriate, too. I know Anno and Sagisu have a lot of history together but I'm not really convinced he was the best possible pick for this movie. Even setting aside the recycling of Decisive Battle from the Evangelion soundtrack (seemingly with the same midi drum track??) it just felt like he hadn't really changed or developed his style since back when he was soundtracking mid-90s tv anime.

The googly eyes looked really silly to me on Godzilla's first form, but I didn't have any complaints with the later appearances. I think it kind of worked to have Godzilla look a bit ridiculous early on when it's not being taken seriously as a threat, though I'm not really fond of the design still. I wouldn't call it an anime thing, though, just a weird design choice.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, the problem with G14 isn't Godzilla's limited screen time - that's actually in keeping with many of the originals - the problem is how horribly uninteresting every single actor who isn't named Bryan Cranston is.

Quoting this from a few pages back because I just got out of Godzilla: Resurgence and boy does it prove this. If anything, this movie probably has an even higher ratio of people standing around talking to giant monster action, and yet the human characters are so much more rich and compelling even as the movie deliberately pushes the idea of most of them being anonymous bureaucrats.

Great movie. It was a little slow, but in that good way, like how 2001 is slow, where it enhances the movie.

My only real complaint is the sound mixing. A lot of the sound effects don't quite have that oomph to them to really sell the destruction, and while the music selection is brilliant and works as a counterpoint to the action as well as any movie I've seen in recent memory, it often feels poorly mixed in with the rest of the soundtrack.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing about Godzilla 2014 is, I suppose the human characters are kind of flat, but even though Godzilla has very little screen time, the entire movie is essentially about him. The characters don't have time to be developed or get "interesting", every scene is about how they're reacting to monsters being unleashed on the Earth, and what the gently caress do you do in that situation, can you even do anything, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing about Godzilla 2014 is, I suppose the human characters are kind of flat, but even though Godzilla has very little screen time, the entire movie is essentially about him. The characters don't have time to be developed or get "interesting", every scene is about how they're reacting to monsters being unleashed on the Earth, and what the gently caress do you do in that situation, can you even do anything, etc.

Again, Godzilla: Resurgence flatly disproves this.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Reading Shin Godzilla in the context of Fukushima Daiichi, most of the criticism fell on the Prime Minister, the Nuclear Safety Commission and the TEPCO hierarchy, and there was a lot of praise and general good feelings around the plant workers, the JSDF soldiers who brought in firetrucks, and the on-the-ground government response, with pop literature emphasizing the non-hierarchical nature of the workers in action. There was also a point of mentioning that Fukushima Daiichi Unit 1 and Unit 2 were both manufactured by Americans.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The eyes are awesome. When they're jamming hoses into his mouth and it looks like they're performing dentistry on a crocodile tweaking on PCP are some amazing shots.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

resurgam40 posted:

That got a laugh in my theater as well, but I'd say the B.O. gag got a bigger laughter.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Gozinbulx posted:

Personally I feel Evangelion is terrible and that it's amazing to see that franchise remain relevant for 20 something years and not really have anything to really show for it(disclaimer: I super like Ah My Goddess! and that ran for 25 years). Like I said originally it's got interesting ideas and they're all when Anno gets away from anime tropes. I'd say a good 60% of this movie is just close up shots of peoples faces dead center with nothing going on on the sides of them or behind them. Which is something a lot of anime's do as a cost cutting measure which you don't have to do in film. Like when they're celebrating in the office because they think they found a way to fight him, you could slowly pan over to a window and tilt down and look at all of the destruction and death Godzilla has caused, it would have been a great juxtaposition of scenes.

I don't know, I've seen the movie twice now and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. There are things that are super cool and good and they are almost always followed by some of the clunkiest dialogue that are such a brutal 180 in quality that it astounds me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Again, Godzilla: Resurgence flatly disproves this.

yeah, the acting and the script in general for the 2014 movie was loving unbearable. Shin's whole cast and direction was leaps and bounds above the majority of Godzilla films in regards to the human element and the "political" factors.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BattleTech posted:

Like when they're celebrating in the office because they think they found a way to fight him, you could slowly pan over to a window and tilt down and look at all of the destruction and death Godzilla has caused, it would have been a great juxtaposition of scenes.

That would have been pretty crass.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

BattleTech posted:

I'd say a good 60% of this movie is just close up shots of peoples faces dead center with nothing going on on the sides of them or behind them. Which is something a lot of anime's do as a cost cutting measure which you don't have to do in film. Like when they're celebrating in the office because they think they found a way to fight him, you could slowly pan over to a window and tilt down and look at all of the destruction and death Godzilla has caused, it would have been a great juxtaposition of scenes.

Well, that kind of shot is cheap only if you can capture actual destruction and death outside the window. Since I suspect Tokyo wasn't actually attacked by a giant monster, you'd still have to budget the additional costs for digital art and compositing....

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Schwarzwald posted:

That would have been pretty crass.

Yeah, that would have been a terrible idea. I do agree in retrospect however with you about how there's far too much static shots that I didn't realize at the time were totally Anime direction style. The film could have benefited from more dynamism in the camera work for the non-monster scenes. Also, for the record, I never watched Eva, but from what I've heard, most of the "ideas" were improvised off the cuff, and the creators have all admitted they were making stuff up on the fly with zero research or knowledge of the subject matter, because it sounded cool to them.

Oh, sidenote, I forgot to look...how many toes does Shin Goji have?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the static shots are fine because this movie is about government bureaucrats saving the day through bureaucracy. There are dynamic shots when it's appropriate for the scene, but this isn't a movie that needed to be constantly calling attention to the presence of the camera.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

A lot of the shots in this movie look wonderful because they're framed in deliberate ways, which would be ruined with more dynamic camera movement. Especially the ones of meetings between bureaucrats.

I swear, JJ Abrams is ruining the taste of an entire generation of movie watchers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Choco1980 posted:

Also, for the record, I never watched Eva, but from what I've heard, most of the "ideas" were improvised off the cuff, and the creators have all admitted they were making stuff up on the fly with zero research or knowledge of the subject matter, because it sounded cool to them.

There are a few religious terms and imagery that are used haphazardly (and which is the source of the "we did it because it sounded cool" quote) but it isn't really a problem because it isn't a show about religion.

More than anything, Evangelion borrows from Ultraman, which has ties to Godzilla. (Eiji Tsuburaya was one of the cocreators of Godzilla, and later started the Tsuburaya Productions studio that produced Ultraman.)

Choco1980 posted:

Oh, sidenote, I forgot to look...how many toes does Shin Goji have?

I don't recall off hand, but you do get a pretty prominent look at his foot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I swear, JJ Abrams is ruining the taste of an entire generation of movie watchers.

Oh yeah for sure.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nothing wrong with using resonant religious imagery for no reason, especially if you have a good artistic sensibility. Jodorowsky made an entire career out of doing this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think there's room in between "static camera shots" and "the camera is always moving"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Invoking Ozu makes more sense here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's what I was gonna say too

if I really liked this movie should I watch Evangelion? I'm not an anime super fan (clearly, since I've never seen Evangelion), but neither do I have a problem with anime.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Never seen one of his films. Where should I start?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

There are a few religious terms and imagery that are used haphazardly (and which is the source of the "we did it because it sounded cool" quote) but it isn't really a problem because it isn't a show about religion.

More than anything, Evangelion borrows from Ultraman, which has ties to Godzilla. (Eiji Tsuburaya was one of the cocreators of Godzilla, and later started the Tsuburaya Productions studio that produced Ultraman.)

I don't recall off hand, but you do get a pretty prominent look at his foot.

I mean, most of the religious symbology in Eva is used pretty appropriately, the angel of the sky appearing in orbit, the angel of night appearing as a universe of total darkness, the angel of free will, well, having free will.

It's generally less important than the references to 50s sci-fi and Gerry Anderson tv shows, but it's too often on-point to be meaningless as such.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's what I was gonna say too

if I really liked this movie should I watch Evangelion? I'm not an anime super fan (clearly, since I've never seen Evangelion), but neither do I have a problem with anime.

Evangelion's good but the main thing it shares with Shin Godzilla is a fascination with bureaucratic processes and people under pressure.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Tokyoooooo Stoooooory

Have tissues handy, will cry.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yes you should see it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I started with I Was Born, But... and really enjoyed that one. It's a silent though if that's a problem.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

I think there's room in between "static camera shots" and "the camera is always moving"

There's a time and a place for both, which Shin Godzilla seems to understand.

There are several found footage shots. The film is absolutely willing to wave the camera around when appropriate to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

There's a time and a place for both, and which Shin Godzilla seems to understand.

There are several found footage shots. The film is absolutely willing to wave the camera around when appropriate to do so.

There are a lot of really cool shots with cameras mounted on rotating tank turrets, which creates a unique effect when the vehicle starts moving in a different direction.

Speaking of static shots though, the final one on the balcony with frozen Godzilla way off in the background next to the protagonist is aces.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 17, 2016