Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The acting on Fear is fine to good. The writing and directing is super terrible and I feel like an idiot for binging through season 2 recently.

Is it up for streaming anywhere right now? Terrible show but I'll watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

veni veni veni posted:

Is it up for streaming anywhere right now? Terrible show but I'll watch it.

I paid money for it on the basis of "Season 1 had a ton of problems but I liked around half of it." I regret that.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
the walking dead shows are not art, and worse, they do not even aspire to be art

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Johnny Truant posted:

To each their own. I feel like Alycia Debnam Cary is the next Kristin Stewart, Madidumb has been awful from the get- go and Chris was mediocre, at best, at playing a brooding teenager which is the easiest role for a literal brooding teenage actor.

Strand is the only one who has legit talent imo. I saw him in a movie(Beautiful Something) way before FTWD and was very impressed. His talents are squandered on this show. :shrug:

Kstew is talented and has a French Oscar so I can't tell if you're insulting Lexa or what

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo if I knew I could get awards for staring blankly as a reaction to literally everything I would have went into acting a long time ago

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

moist turtleneck posted:

poo poo if I knew I could get awards for staring blankly as a reaction to literally everything I would have went into acting a long time ago

If you haven't seen much of her other than Twilight or that Snow White movie or whatever she seems pretty awful, but she's been putting in great performances in smaller movies for some time now.

To each their own though, of course. I mean awards are usually p poo poo anyway, but the French are pretentious as gently caress and she's the only American actress to get that award so I'd say it's worth something, at least.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Wow some of you guys are really harsh. I don't see any problems with any of the actors in FTWD, i can definitely see criticisms of the writing and the story lines but the actors are fine. I can freely admit none of them are worthy of any awards or special recognition but i can't pinpoint a single one who is terrible or worth mocking for their acting abilities.

buckets of buckets posted:

the walking dead shows are not art, and worse, they do not even aspire to be art

While it's funny to think of any tv show being art they all are, it's whether or not its good or bad art that is debatable. Art isn't just the good things or things you like. Maybe that's an even worse indictment you could make on the show though, that they actually do aspire to be art.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Luvcow posted:

While it's funny to think of any tv show being art they all are, it's whether or not its good or bad art that is debatable. Art isn't just the good things or things you like. Maybe that's an even worse indictment you could make on the show though, that they actually do aspire to be art.

Interesting, I was thinking the fact that they've probably chosen whose been killed based on contract negotiations disqualifies TWD, but then I remembered how mercenary a lot of renaissance painters were. Anyway if anyone wants a better written zombie show to check out, and has already seen Z-nation then watch Dead Set, a a British zombie series that also spoofs Big Brother in a romero-esque kind of way

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Interesting, I was thinking the fact that they've probably chosen whose been killed based on contract negotiations disqualifies TWD, but then I remembered how mercenary a lot of renaissance painters were. Anyway if anyone wants a better written zombie show to check out, and has already seen Z-nation then watch Dead Set, a a British zombie series that also spoofs Big Brother in a romero-esque kind of way

Dead Set was awesome I absolutely agree.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Ok. Thanks bro.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rewatching the early episodes in AMC's obligatory marathon, god Glenn and Carol could have been better developed. Early Glenn is a loving delight. I also wish Dale stuck around longer, and T-Dawg may be a caricature but I like him.

And I definitely agree Glenn as he played out would be fine getting killed. He hasn't changed in like 3 seasons. And originally him being a wily, nervous rogue type was fun and different, like having him groan at being sent out or when Daryl puts Merle's hand in his pack. Nowadays he's a Rick clone. MUH FAMILY + badass is all his characterization.

Also, at some point everyone switches from bats/axes/bigass knives and brutal kills to everyone just stabbing walkers in the head with tiny rear end knives effortlessly. Seems less efficient, harder to do, harder to maintain, more dangerous, and less cool. Fails rule of cool, kills suspension of disbelief, why? Everyone should be carrying blunt instruments and adhoc spears like apparently the bourgeois survivors use, none of this bullshit. lovely spears and shields, conservative sniper cover, and a decent chokepoint and dudes like Rick, Michonne, and Glenn could tank hundreds of walkers.

Otis was an angel, should've survived, gotten better at cardio, and moderated Carol and Morgan

Imagine wolves, saviors, or tiger king showing up in S2 on the highway

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 16, 2016

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That's the problem though Rick was always a DPS/Support hybrid, but since he lost his main tank Tyreese, he's been trying to take on the role and not doing good. Daryl tries to help sometimes but he's pure DPS so always ends up getting KO'd or losing his healer.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Johnny Truant posted:

Strand is the only one who has legit talent imo. I saw him in a movie(Beautiful Something) way before FTWD and was very impressed. His talents are squandered on this show. :shrug:

+1 Strand was pretty awesome so I might give it a chance. Didn't mind Chris either I did like the parallels of drug zombie and literal zombie. The worse teenager on the show was Alicia.

Cactus posted:

That's the problem though Rick was always a DPS/Support hybrid, but since he lost his main tank Tyreese, he's been trying to take on the role and not doing good. Daryl tries to help sometimes but he's pure DPS so always ends up getting KO'd or losing his healer.

I know it's been like 5 seasons since he's been on the show, but I still miss Shane damnit. Rick was water and Shane was oil. He was Rick's perfect right hand man and saw the new world for what it was. Took no poo poo and paranoid as all gently caress he was amazing.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The only thing FTWD has going for it are the locations. They're a lot more interesting than 'Georgia' and 'Georgia except not.'

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

When I realised how close they still were to atlanta I got pissed at the show.

I don't care if the comics haven't expanded on the world-wide dynamic a few hints or teasers here and there wouldn't go amiss.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I know it's been like 5 seasons since he's been on the show, but I still miss Shane damnit. Rick was water and Shane was oil. He was Rick's perfect right hand man and saw the new world for what it was. Took no poo poo and paranoid as all gently caress he was amazing.

Jon Bernthal rules and he totally owned the role.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

Wow some of you guys are really harsh. I don't see any problems with any of the actors in FTWD, i can definitely see criticisms of the writing and the story lines but the actors are fine. I can freely admit none of them are worthy of any awards or special recognition but i can't pinpoint a single one who is terrible or worth mocking for their acting abilities.
I think some of it has to do with the actual writing itself as well. Like I thought Nick's acting was really well done in the first season and a half, but fell a little flat in the second half of S2 because as much screen time as he got, it felt like he was just kind of there. Half the time he's just standing there listening to other people talk. The same thing happened with Alicia in the first season and a half, but now that they're writing her to be a little more interesting, her acting seems to have improved as well. Madison could use some more facial expressions but I still don't think her acting is that bad. I can definitely see Travis stepping it up next season after seeing his performance in the finale. Actually I think everyone's acting will probably be better by next season.

For me personally, it's better than overacting - like Lori for instance. It just made me more irritated by her presence than I already was. I like her performance in Colony better.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 17, 2016

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cactus posted:

A TWD mmorpg that is as racist, sexist, and right-wing as the show and fanbase would be beautiful

-black folk are large, brave, and combative-- use them as tanks or dps
-asians are small, but quick and crafty-- field them as your dps or support
-latinos lack the physical and mental fortitude of other races, but are fiercely hardworking and gain bonuses in a group--choose them for support or tank
-whites are a jack of all trades, varied as their skin tone-- they thrive everywhere but especially as leaders

You meet a group of skilled survivors in the woods, do you

-take them hostage, interrogate, and murder them, and make use of their gear {+light side points}
-take them hostage, interrogate them, and leave them as zombie bait
-let them join the group, use their skills and retain your humanity {+dark side points}

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

+1 Strand was pretty awesome so I might give it a chance. Didn't mind Chris either I did like the parallels of drug zombie and literal zombie. The worse teenager on the show was Alicia.

Rick lacking a direct foil definitely hurts his character, too.

I watched the first season of FTWD and I found Nick way more compelling than anyone else. Banana republic torture dad and tuxedo dude could be cool too, and Chris sucked in the real way that that kind of teenager sucks so he has potential. I sure wish the story wasn't dumb as gently caress.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 17, 2016

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

vintagepurple posted:

Rewatching the early episodes in AMC's obligatory marathon, god Glenn and Carol could have been better developed. Early Glenn is a loving delight. I also wish Dale stuck around longer, and T-Dawg may be a caricature but I like him.

And I definitely agree Glenn as he played out would be fine getting killed. He hasn't changed in like 3 seasons. And originally him being a wily, nervous rogue type was fun and different, like having him groan at being sent out or when Daryl puts Merle's hand in his pack. Nowadays he's a Rick clone. MUH FAMILY + badass is all his characterization.

Also, at some point everyone switches from bats/axes/bigass knives and brutal kills to everyone just stabbing walkers in the head with tiny rear end knives effortlessly. Seems less efficient, harder to do, harder to maintain, more dangerous, and less cool. Fails rule of cool, kills suspension of disbelief, why? Everyone should be carrying blunt instruments and adhoc spears like apparently the bourgeois survivors use, none of this bullshit. lovely spears and shields, conservative sniper cover, and a decent chokepoint and dudes like Rick, Michonne, and Glenn could tank hundreds of walkers.

Otis was an angel, should've survived, gotten better at cardio, and moderated Carol and Morgan

Imagine wolves, saviors, or tiger king showing up in S2 on the highway

I think this is why the show has lost me. First couple seasons had all these cool characters that were all different and interesting. Now everyone is a super bad rear end that slaughters zombies by the hundreds with pocket knives. Everyone is Rick, and Rick is psychotic.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Acacia REI posted:

I think some of it has to do with the actual writing itself as well. Like I thought Nick's acting was really well done in the first season and a half, but fell a little flat in the second half of S2 because as much screen time as he got, it felt like he was just kind of there. Half the time he's just standing there listening to other people talk. The same thing happened with Alicia in the first season and a half, but now that they're writing her to be a little more interesting, her acting seems to have improved as well. Madison could use some more facial expressions but I still don't think her acting is that bad. I can definitely see Travis stepping it up next season after seeing his performance in the finale. Actually I think everyone's acting will probably be better by next season.

For me personally, it's better than overacting - like Lori for instance. It just made me more irritated by her presence than I already was. I like her performance in Colony better.

I can definitely understand the dislike of characters and the way they are written. I almost quit after the season 1 finale of FTWD when they just killed everyone at the military base but the whole Strand thing with the boat was worth waiting for season 2. But yeah, i'm not entirely happy with where everyone has progressed in the show but i do still think it's fun to watch.

I need to watch Colony, I've heard good things.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

UmOk posted:

I think this is why the show has lost me. First couple seasons had all these cool characters that were all different and interesting. Now everyone is a super bad rear end that slaughters zombies by the hundreds with pocket knives. Everyone is Rick, and Rick is psychotic.

Well you'd hope that they'd have gotten some skills over the past few years of living in the zombie apocalypse...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd defiantly agree that the characters completely lack any sort of interesting personalities now. They are all just generic badasses who are occasionally given some sort of meltdown to keep poo poo interesting, whereas they mostly started out with pretty distinct character traits that are totally gone at this point.

Graduation into badassery seems to be the main theme of this show.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
That's my issue with the main series, i'm not really interested in seeing them gently caress with another group of comically evil people. I'd rather see them actually try to realistically live in the world but not in the cheesy way it was last year when everything was peaceful in Alexandria. They've touched on it occasionally with farming or solar panels but they just keep inserting another bad person or people for them to fight.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

veni veni veni posted:

I'd defiantly agree that the characters completely lack any sort of interesting personalities now. They are all just generic badasses who are occasionally given some sort of meltdown to keep poo poo interesting, whereas they mostly started out with pretty distinct character traits that are totally gone at this point.

This is kind of why I was bummed out to lose Denise. She really wasn't a well written character, but she was distinctly different from the rest of the crew, and the show needs that. I actually like having Gabriel around for the same reason, he's a lovely dude who usually makes things worse but I want to see that.

At least there's still Eugene.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

That's another reason why Abe is safe. The show needs him for his snappy one liners.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

This is kind of why I was bummed out to lose Denise. She really wasn't a well written character, but she was distinctly different from the rest of the crew, and the show needs that. I actually like having Gabriel around for the same reason, he's a lovely dude who usually makes things worse but I want to see that.

At least there's still Eugene.

Agrees. Eugene is still unique and probably one of the only main characters I'm rooting for still.

The show is still entertaining for me, but not in the way it's intended. Since I no longer like or care for most of the characters I can get excited to see which one of the fuckers is going to bite the dust. Sadly, I am usually let down and some character introduced 2 episodes before gets killed. And just like Rick and crew, I could care less.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

Joe Toye had a tank in season 4. Daryl managed to one-shot it with a grenade.

Daryl is the poo poo

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/lKRgoNi.gifv

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Frank is a survivor

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

veni veni veni posted:

That's why I thought it was lame they killed off Tyreese/Noah/Nicholas/Carter(?) etc. They had some sort of, I guess 'quirk' that set them apart from 'murdermurdermurder'.

Tyreese was built like a brick shithouse, but was losing his will to spill blood. Noah was a well-meaning kid kinda just dropped in their laps unsure if he'd make it. Nicholas was a cowardly POS who seemed to be wanting to redeem himself but was still a coward at heart. Ethan Embry was against Rick at the start and was ready to cut and run at even the faintest whiff that something would go wrong with the herd plan (plus, he seemed to have been plotting a coup).

When even the priest is hacking through zombies and gunning down enemies, yeah, they are all pretty much palette swaps for one another at this point. Honestly, I feel Eugene is the only really 'unique' one left of the main crew.

E: I remember there was a guy in the infirmary (Heath's friend) that had a leg wound that was going septic until Denise found the answer in a textbook and drained it. Did he die, or is he still in the infirmary just waiting to die so that later Heath can get choked up and say 'He... he was such an important person in my life, not that we ever showed it on screen'?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Shneak posted:

The only thing FTWD has going for it are the locations. They're a lot more interesting than 'Georgia' and 'Georgia except not.'

I haven't watched FtWD because frankly it looks horrible, but the locations are good?

The main sell for The Walking Dead in my mind was that it 1) took place "after" the outbreak, and 2) took place somewhere not a major city like LA or NYC. Those things felt like novelties at the time, so a version of the same story set in LA during the outbreak seems like a step back. But yeah, I could stand to see somewhere not-Georgia.

I wish they'd been more ambitious about FtWD, though. Somewhere not in the US, maybe. Or if they're going to do a US city, something like Boston or Minneapolis or Denver. Southern California is so familiar as a setting...seeing the worldview of TWD transposed to a place with winter or mountains would be neat.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Xealot posted:

I haven't watched FtWD because frankly it looks horrible, but the locations are good?

The main sell for The Walking Dead in my mind was that it 1) took place "after" the outbreak, and 2) took place somewhere not a major city like LA or NYC. Those things felt like novelties at the time, so a version of the same story set in LA during the outbreak seems like a step back. But yeah, I could stand to see somewhere not-Georgia.

I wish they'd been more ambitious about FtWD, though. Somewhere not in the US, maybe. Or if they're going to do a US city, something like Boston or Minneapolis or Denver. Southern California is so familiar as a setting...seeing the worldview of TWD transposed to a place with winter or mountains would be neat.

They've been in Mexico for about half the show. I absolutely agree that a snowy or mountainous location would be cool though.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They've been in Mexico for half a season and in the ocean loving up settlements along the coastline for another half

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Luvcow posted:

They've been in Mexico for about half the show. I absolutely agree that a snowy or mountainous location would be cool though.

They should at least do one of those little web shorts for it.

The Walking Dead: Buffalo. Ep 2: All the survivors starve/freeze when seven feet of Lake Effect snow hit. The lone survivor is a drunk guy with a back hoe.

E: lovely weather could actually play as a good reason for a group of survivors to have to abandon their current encampment, as opposed to zombies/ villain du jour breaking down the walls/invading.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 18, 2016

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

God help Rick & the gang if they ever come up against the Leather Daddies.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

rest in korean heaven glenn :rip:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heroes Glenns never die - a dumpster.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LadyPictureShow posted:

They should at least do one of those little web shorts for it.

The Walking Dead: Buffalo. Ep 2: All the survivors starve/freeze when seven feet of Lake Effect snow hit. The lone survivor is a drunk guy with a back hoe.

E: lovely weather could actually play as a good reason for a group of survivors to have to abandon their current encampment, as opposed to zombies/ villain du jour breaking down the walls/invading.

You can also play with zombies freezing in snowbanks and popping up during thaws.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Aside from the weird sickness they had going through the prison, does anyone in this show ever die from anything other than injuries (like walker bites or just being straight up murdered by someone)? You'd think in an apocalyptic scenario there would be more cases of, like, dysentery and botulism and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acacia REI posted:

Aside from the weird sickness they had going through the prison, does anyone in this show ever die from anything other than injuries (like walker bites or just being straight up murdered by someone)? You'd think in an apocalyptic scenario there would be more cases of, like, dysentery and botulism and whatnot.

Lori died in labor