Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you don't want to vizzle them, brine them for a couple of hours with some juniper berries and thyme in the brine, then pan fry in cast iron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I just tried my dad's pork chop marinade in the puddle. It turned out pretty drat good!

Soy sauce
Cooking Sherry
Chili paste
Peanut oil

I did 135°f for I think 90 minutes then seared them off in the cast iron skillet. I forget the exact proportions of the marinade since I have it on a 3x5 card someplace at home and not right here with me, but I think it was something like 1/4 cup each of soy & sherry, 2 TBS chili, 1 or 2 TBS oil.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The weekend is here and I have creme brulee viddling in the kitchen.
I have used a very simple recipe and will let you know how it went.

Edit: It was great.
Recipe for 4 portions:
250 ml milk
250 ml normal cream
5 egg yolk
100g of sugar
1-2 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk together, pour into small mason jars, close jars, submerge in 82C water for 1.5 hours. Let cool, caramelize some sugar on top, serve.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 14, 2016

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Thanks for the searing advice, the butter really makes the crust come together super fast.

I do notice that my steaks come out of the vacuum bag already grey/brown on the outside. Is this just the oxygen left in the bag reacting with the meat?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Hopper posted:

Yeah, agreed go way hotter and turn it ever 10-15 seconds for a maximum of 1 to 1.5 minutes total, otherwise it get too warm

Reverse gradient that poo poo. Throw it in the freezer for 30 minutes before searing and it'll look much better.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

According to the coupons forum the Anova is 129 right now for the BT version so go get one if you haven't already, jeez!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Epiphyte posted:

Thanks for the searing advice, the butter really makes the crust come together super fast.

I do notice that my steaks come out of the vacuum bag already grey/brown on the outside. Is this just the oxygen left in the bag reacting with the meat?

Nope, its the exact opposite. The grey is because there is so little oxygen in the bag. The redness comes for myogoblin reactions with oxygen. If you took a steak you just puddled and let it sit in the open air, it would start turning red in like ~15 minutes.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just cooked a pork shoulder sous vide for 24 hours, http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html. it's sooooooo good. Can't recommend it enough.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Carillon posted:

I just cooked a pork shoulder sous vide for 24 hours, http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/07/sous-vide-barbecue-pulled-pork-shoulder-recipe.html. it's sooooooo good. Can't recommend it enough.

What temp did you go with? I've got a pork shoulder that I need to cook up and this seems fun.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

qutius posted:

What temp did you go with? I've got a pork shoulder that I need to cook up and this seems fun.

I did 165 when I did this. Couple caveats:

•If you go 24 hours, it will be fall apart tender and almost impossible to move to the grill for smoking. 18 hours was plenty long in my experience. Do 24 hours if you want to eat it when you pull it from the bath.
•Omit the salt from Kenji's rub, or at least cut it by half then only use a reasonable amount of rub, or else your butt will be inedibly salty

Edit: I've made the rub twice, once from the volume measurements and once from the weight measurements. Volume was much better. Whoever did the conversion to weight just guessed or something. Take the dried oregano, for example: It says one tablespoon or 8g. If you ever seen any kind of dried herb, you know 1/4 ounce (by weight) is a hell of a lot more than a tablespoon.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 17, 2016

Carillon
May 9, 2014

qutius posted:

165 for 24 hours. The hardest part is transferring it to a pan without it falling apart. I didn't think it was too salty also.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
This just got announced today. Looks like a countertop combi-oven. I've had my eye on countertop toaster ovens, and this just jumped to the front of the line.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

This just got announced today. Looks like a countertop combi-oven. I've had my eye on countertop toaster ovens, and this just jumped to the front of the line.

I wonder how it handles water storage but it looks very very interesting. I know there is like a Breville or Cuisinart countertop oven with steam but it's not full combi oven capable. I see this as more a competitor to the other countertop things than full precision humidity control.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Huge_Midget posted:

I might've missed it but is there anything on how big this thing is?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone know how to suis vide a beef joint?
The mrs wants to do a Sunday dinner roast with the anova, but all the recipes are American and don't seem similar to the cuts we have over here really?
Something like this I guess: http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=292294106

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If its top/silver side i find 131f at 24-30 hours works well and i only salt and pepper it. Sear after and you can make a nice onion gravy in the pan

top/eye of round are what its called in america

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So wild idea and probably bullshit.
Can you technically sous vide a Christmas pudding?
I made one last year was the traditional steaming method and it worked well, I was just wondering whether sous vide might be able to d the second with a lot less hassle. Or does the pudding need the steam?
Otherwise a closed mason jar like container at 95C for x time might do the trick...

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Hopper posted:

So wild idea and probably bullshit.
Can you technically sous vide a Christmas pudding?
I made one last year was the traditional steaming method and it worked well, I was just wondering whether sous vide might be able to d the second with a lot less hassle. Or does the pudding need the steam?
Otherwise a closed mason jar like container at 95C for x time might do the trick...

They call it 'precision baking.'
https://anovaculinary.com/5-tips-for-sous-vide-baking-with-your-anova/

I've never tried it, but it looks like you came really close to exactly the method recommended on the anova site.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
On a semi-related topic, anyone made bread?

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...5-99938885&ct=t(Halloween_Recipes_Email)&goal=0_f33347b916-889bf41885-99938885&mc_cid=889bf41885&mc_eid=d6fbd116fe

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I want some shrimp

But I have to take my kids to gymnastics tonight.

Better idea, sous vide shrimp before I go, reheat it when I get back or put it in the puddle right as I leave with a timer on

Not sure how it would work with something delicate like shrimp I don't want to over cook it

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

FishBulb posted:

I want some shrimp

But I have to take my kids to gymnastics tonight.

Better idea, sous vide shrimp before I go, reheat it when I get back or put it in the puddle right as I leave with a timer on

Not sure how it would work with something delicate like shrimp I don't want to over cook it

Shrimp takes like 15-20 minutes, I would bag and keep in the fridge, timer the water to temp do them when you get home (as in open front door, go to kitchen, drop bag... do rest of poo poo you do when you get home, it'll be done by the time you're ready to eat).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I mean I know it takes 20 minutes but we're gunna be home late (usually my wife makes dinner on gymnastics night but she's out of town) so 20 minutes pushes dinner time almost to bed time

Maybe we'll just do something else tonight....

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I know this is the sous vide thread, but if you want shrimp in a hurry, you could sauté them in moments.

Or if you sous vide and fridge them before you leave, don't reheat them when you get back, just eat them cold like shrimp cocktail.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I got a really cheap ebay thermostat and basically a cut up extension cord so I can temperature control just about anything that can plug in. I was planning on using it to run a crockpot at specific temperature, and was doing some testing with just water in it, to get an idea of how long it takes to get up to temp, and how stable temperature is. I found that my crockpot could take up to 1.5h to get up to temp, from warm tap water, but was capable of staying within +/- 1C from setpoint. The temp controller is a really dumb bang-bang setup with configurable hysteresis, no fancy PID stuff. I set hysteresis to 1 degree. So it cuts power when it hits the setpoint, overshoots about 0.7C and then when it drops 1C below the setpoint, it turns on again.

Anyways, I felt like 1.5h is a pretty long time to wait before I can start cooking, so I started thinking of low cost ways to supercharge my crockpot, and then I realized I could just use my electric hot water kettle. That's going from 250W to 1100W. I did some testing with this, and it overshoots by about 3C, drops 1C below the setpoint, then turns on again. So if i adjust my setpoint down one degree, it will be +/-2C centered around the setpoint. This seems fairly reasonable performance for a $10 thermostat and an already owned small appliance(I think i paid about $30 for the electric kettle originally).

The opening of the kettle is fairly wide, I think most reasonable sized / individual portions should fit ok? I haven't tried cooking anything yet, but would like to maybe try some pork chops. Any thoughts?

Oh I also have a ts8000 that someone got me for my bday off my amazon wishlist, so I can torch some stuff, though I haven't gotten a searzall for it yet.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 26, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

peepsalot posted:

Anyways, I felt like 1.5h is a pretty long time to wait before I can start cooking, so I started thinking of low cost ways to supercharge my crockpot,

Just a thought, but if your crock pot has a removable insert, preheating that with hot water would help the speed I bet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
use a kettle. i do

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I want to make sure I understand the bacteria death curve thing. I dropped ribs in the water this morning, but it was still heating up when I left for work and didn't reach temperature for like an hour. It is set to 165, and Kenji suggests to run it for 12 hours. Most of that is just tenderizing the meat though correct? If I pull it out and finish it in the oven after, say, ten hours, it'll be safe (albeit maybe not as tender) to eat, won't it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you mean cooking 10 hours instead of 12, yes you'll be safe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never used this brand, but there's a $100 sous vizzling circulator on Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HX1FTC/

edit: Look like their 2nd gen product is also $99. I'm so confused.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M18LGU4/

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 28, 2016

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I looked at that as an option and all the reviews were for folks who got one for free.

I'd say psy the extra 40 for the Anova.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Just cooked my first ribeye with my anova precision cooker and it came out flawlessly, until my sear. My sear game needs work for sure. To practice, should i just cut chunks of a cheap cut of meat and play with searing?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crunkjuice posted:

Just cooked my first ribeye with my anova precision cooker and it came out flawlessly, until my sear. My sear game needs work for sure. To practice, should i just cut chunks of a cheap cut of meat and play with searing?

Rocket high heat, turn frequently (like every 15 seconds). Shouldn't need much practice. What went wrong?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Just a lack of evenness in my part due to the heavy 14 inch cast iron skillet being unlevel on my lovely stove. And I don't think I got it hot enough, and I just did oil. Next time I'll wait to get it hotter, butter+garlic+ some herb?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Crunkjuice posted:

Just a lack of evenness in my part due to the heavy 14 inch cast iron skillet being unlevel on my lovely stove. And I don't think I got it hot enough, and I just did oil. Next time I'll wait to get it hotter, butter+garlic+ some herb?

pre-heating the pan in the oven will help that out

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I throw my cast iron in the oven at like 450F for 30+ minutes then on a burner on high.

I brush the surface with a little canola oil and flip every 30s or so. Twice on each side is normally enough.

Butter and herbs will just burn.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I find that if you heat your pan on max heat on the stove, canola/sunflower oil until it smokes, and then add a pinch of butter and immediately slap the steak on the foaming butter, this is well hot enough, no oven needed, as the butter helps with the crust building.

Also turning every 30 s may be too slow, I'd recommend every 15 at the latest and for 1.5 min total max, otherwise the meat heats up and the "bark" of well done meat becomes too thick.

And meat with bones is much harder to brown evenly...

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Chemmy posted:

I throw my cast iron in the oven at like 450F for 30+ minutes then on a burner on high.

I'll try this thanks. My new apt's burners are kind of weak and thus, my crusts have been subpar since the move. Unacceptable!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Boosh! posted:

I'll try this thanks. My new apt's burners are kind of weak and thus, my crusts have been subpar since the move. Unacceptable!

If you've got a charcoal grill get a chimney and you can sear directly on top of the chimney in like a minute then dump the coals and grill some veggies/fish/whatever.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Crunkjuice posted:

Also, thoroughly dry the steak before searing. If it's wet, a lot of the heat goes into evaporating that which then steams the meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Someone post the video of it being done perfect. I think it was Ramsay.