Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jhet posted:

If you do this, take pictures.

My wife had to be talked into a decent grinder too. I'm going with a Rocky to sit next to the Rancilo Silvia. I was going to order it from Seattle Coffee Gear, and they have the PID installed version back in stock. Is that a worthwhile upgrade to learn how to use?
There's little to learn with a PID, unless you plan on reprogramming it. Depending on what version you get it's just a temperature control, or it can act as a shot timer and do pre-infusion as well; even then you're just pushing a button. Start with the default settings and get comfortable with the machine before you start tweaking any of that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bizwank posted:

There's little to learn with a PID, unless you plan on reprogramming it. Depending on what version you get it's just a temperature control, or it can act as a shot timer and do pre-infusion as well; even then you're just pushing a button. Start with the default settings and get comfortable with the machine before you start tweaking any of that stuff.

The version I'm looking at is just temp control. And I probably don't even need that once I get used to the machine and how it works while temperature surfing.

This is a way more complicated way to make coffee than I had expected when I told my wife we could get one. I expect it's worth the trouble, but drat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This OXO pour over system looks interesting. And it's only $15 on Amazon. You don't need to use a goose kettle with it because it distributes the water for you with many holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urbbnzOStxw

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Every OXO thing I've ever bought in my life was total poo poo including extremely basic crap like spatulas and graters so I have zero confidence in that product.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My OXO salad spinner has worked like a champ for years.

I mean what can go wrong with the pour over cone? There are no moving parts and it's 3 pieces of plastic.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

My OXO salad spinner has worked like a champ for years.

I mean what can go wrong with the pour over cone? There are no moving parts and it's 3 pieces of plastic.

The gear assembly on my $40+ oxo salad spinner snapped like a twig after a month of casual use. Echoing what the other poster said.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Mu Zeta posted:

3 pieces of plastic.

Based on my experience with them I feel fairly confident that their choice of plastic is going to be the absolute cheapest and most toxic bullshit they could get away with.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe Bonavita can steal the design. I think it's interesting and I prefer it over the Clever Dripper style.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

It's like someone saw a Swissgold one-cup and thought "This, but V60-er"

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
Ooof. what's going on with elm street coffee in seattle? they roasted this ethiopian into a bag of dark sad. just the week before i was drinking one of the best ethiopians i've had in years.. slate's kilenso ethiopian. seattle people go by kilenso.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Are the Hario grinders that bad? I currently have no coffee stuff at home and am pretty close to a Hario grinder + Aeropress setup.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Just bought my Silvia + Rocky. Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

angor posted:

Are the Hario grinders that bad? I currently have no coffee stuff at home and am pretty close to a Hario grinder + Aeropress setup.

The skerton is perfectly acceptable for drip, it's just slow and lacks some consistency. I haven't used an aeropress enough to know how much that affects it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

angor posted:

If you are using it to grind for an Aeropress for yourself, it's fine. Doing more than a cup or toe a day does get tedious. IMO the Aeropress is fairly forgiving when it comes to grind quality, plus you can always put a stabilizer on your mill.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

angor posted:

Had mine for a few days now and it seems perfectly fine for my Aeropress.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

angor posted:

They're not as comfortable to hold as a Porlex, which is a drag when you're grinding 30g for a V60. Also, it's awkward to adjust the grind setting compared to the Porlex. Just get a Porlex.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The hario mini and the porlex are identical except the hario is way cheaper.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
For what it's worth I'll be making 2 cups of coffee at a time, once a day. The Hario Mini looks pretty decent so I think I'll pick that up. They don't have them where I live so I'll wait a couple weeks until I'm in the US. I'd just get a Capresso if I didn't have 220v sockets.

Either way, it's got to be a step up from Douwe Egberts instant which is what we're using now. :)

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Jan posted:

:allbuttons:

This is grounds to :sever:.

Tripreport: Went over this weekend with some recently roasted beans and my Rocky. Did the whole sciency explanation of extraction and the effect uniform grind size has on taste. Compared the coffee they'd ground with the whirly blade to the grind out of the Rocky.

And then pulled a couple shots, (the Breville BES920XL is nice, but it needed set to volume instead of time?? wtf is time the default? - and I used manual anyway). :master:

So they are keeping the grinder. Next step is to switch them off Caribou brand coffee.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mu Zeta posted:

This OXO pour over system looks interesting. And it's only $15 on Amazon. You don't need to use a goose kettle with it because it distributes the water for you with many holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urbbnzOStxw

Trigger warning that poo poo, brewing drip with no scale.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

angor posted:

I've posted before, but my slim broke after a year of use. I don't know if the skerton suffers the same design flaw.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?

JohnCompany posted:

Trigger warning that poo poo, brewing drip with no scale.

And brown filter :cthulhu::coffee:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Unrinsed filter :cry:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Can someone recommend me a kettle? I'm looking for temp control and quick heating time. Gooseneck is not a requirement, although I'm not against it either. I've heard the Bonavita gooseneck is good but the reviews seem to indicate that it takes a while to come to temp, is that true?

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

bondetamp posted:

And brown filter :cthulhu::coffee:

I get the complaint about him not rinsing the filter, but the only difference between a brown filter and a white one is bleach.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

foxxtrot posted:

I get the complaint about him not rinsing the filter, but the only difference between a brown filter and a white one is bleach.

Last time I tried brown filters the coffee tasted like a paper bag no matter how much I rinsed them. The difference is enormous.

You know the bleaching process actually breaks up/removes stuff right? That's why it turns white.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 10, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Can someone recommend me a kettle? I'm looking for temp control and quick heating time. Gooseneck is not a requirement, although I'm not against it either. I've heard the Bonavita gooseneck is good but the reviews seem to indicate that it takes a while to come to temp, is that true?

I don't happen to think it takes a while. I mean, if you're expecting a ready to go hot water dispenser, it is not, but it heats up faster than just about any standard kettle I've used. Maybe a 2-3 minutes to get it to a full boil and I start mine with filtered water from my fridge dispenser so it's cold when I start.

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Isn't warm up time mainly a product of Wattage and amount of water?

As in, 2000w is going to warm up a given volume of water quicker than 1500w pretty much regardless?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

bondetamp posted:

Isn't warm up time mainly a product of Wattage and amount of water?

As in, 2000w is going to warm up a given volume of water quicker than 1500w pretty much regardless?

Given all the other variables being the same, sure. But different styles of heating elements likely heat differently and kettle shape can also play a factor with how the hot water circulates internally as it heats.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

HappyHippo posted:

Last time I tried brown filters the coffee tasted like a paper bag no matter how much I rinsed them. The difference is enormous.

You know the bleaching process actually breaks up/removes stuff right? That's why it turns white.

Sure, but as long as I use decent quality paper and rinse, I don't find a difference. I generally use the Filtropa filters.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

rockcity posted:

Given all the other variables being the same, sure. But different styles of heating elements likely heat differently and kettle shape can also play a factor with how the hot water circulates internally as it heats.

The reviews I read blamed the thermostat mechanism, saying that it began switching on/off too early so that the temp approached the setpoint rather slowly. But I haven't used one so I don't know what it's like, that's why I'm interested in getting some people's opinions here.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

Just tested mine; to the "full" line (1 litre) it took 5:15 to go from cold tap water to 205F, and 500ml took 3 min on the nose. Once the water temp gets within 10 degrees of what you have it set at, the heating element will start to cycle on and off to slow the rate of heating so it lands exactly on the desired temp. This does slow the overall heating process down, and most people (aka. amazon reviewers) are probably used to the more standard electric kettles which just go full-bore to boiling then back off.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Remember this guy?

Some Guy Who Was Super Angry About Grinders posted:

Wtf xxx for a coffee grinder ? Lol
Are you thief ?
Wtf is this joke ?
Its bad stainless with bad and pooe quality plastic
Productiom cost: nearby maybe a 100$
Lol dickheads
Give me a second to go bad rate you in the journal !
Ih and
I was just passing bye !

That was in the on-site chat, but now he's figured out how the contact us form works:

Even angrier about grinders posted:

Why you charge so much for Rocky Rancilio then the planet?

Maybe he doesn't realize his IP address recorded each time? Who knows. But he is Mad About Grinders

* We aren't direct with Rancilio so have to get them through a third party

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

bizwank posted:

Just tested mine; to the "full" line (1 litre) it took 5:15 to go from cold tap water to 205F, and 500ml took 3 min on the nose. Once the water temp gets within 10 degrees of what you have it set at, the heating element will start to cycle on and off to slow the rate of heating so it lands exactly on the desired temp. This does slow the overall heating process down, and most people (aka. amazon reviewers) are probably used to the more standard electric kettles which just go full-bore to boiling then back off.

That sounds about right. My kettle is usually maybe half full when I use it most of the time. As for the cycling on and off, yes that is correct, it comes to temp slowly at the end, but it's very easy to overshoot your temp if it doesn't do that.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

bizwank posted:

Excellent, thanks for the info (rockcity too). I can probably deal with that fine, I usually only put about 350 ml in anyway. Although I wonder if one of the larger ones (they make a 1.5L with no gooseneck) would go faster.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HappyHippo posted:

Excellent, thanks for the info (rockcity too). I can probably deal with that fine, I usually only put about 350 ml in anyway. Although I wonder if one of the larger ones (they make a 1.5L with no gooseneck) would go faster.

I have the non gooseneck 1.7l Bonavita. n the last week, after less than a year of usage, the lid has broken off and now sometimes the heat tops out at 2005 or 208 instead of 211 or 212. And I had one time yesterday where the lights were on like it was heating, but it wasn't. Gonna have to see if I can warranty it, but not impressed so far.

Also, I wouldn't say that it heats up particularly quickly, especially with a full pot. If you're only putting a small amount in there, it may be fast enough for you.

edit: fixed the size

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 11, 2016

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

HappyHippo posted:

Both of their 1.7L kettles are 1500W vs 1000W on the 1L, so given the same amount of water the larger ones will probably heat faster.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Y'all should get some British kettles :science:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
How much difference do coffee beans actually make when it comes to grind size, shot regularity, etc.?

I feel that depending on what brand and roast I have, it can take vastly different grind settings to pull the same double shot in 30 seconds. The Blue Bottle that I had recently was setting 3 on the grinder, whereas I'm struggling to get decent flow at setting 10 with some Phil & Sebastian.

I'm still more convinced that it's my mid-range consumer Breville machine that might be getting clogged by old grounds, but I'm careful to always run the pump with no portafilter, and then through the portafilter to rinse out any residue... Or maybe my grinder isn't that regular.

All I know is it's making me very sad in the morning when I try to pull a shot and only get some weak, choked droplets. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Jan posted:

How much difference do coffee beans actually make when it comes to grind size, shot regularity, etc.?

I feel that depending on what brand and roast I have, it can take vastly different grind settings to pull the same double shot in 30 seconds. The Blue Bottle that I had recently was setting 3 on the grinder, whereas I'm struggling to get decent flow at setting 10 with some Phil & Sebastian.

I'm still more convinced that it's my mid-range consumer Breville machine that might be getting clogged by old grounds, but I'm careful to always run the pump with no portafilter, and then through the portafilter to rinse out any residue... Or maybe my grinder isn't that regular.

All I know is it's making me very sad in the morning when I try to pull a shot and only get some weak, choked droplets. :saddowns:
What kind of grinder do you have? The beans make almost all the difference; different roast levels require different grind settings to achieve similar extraction rates. Generally the darker/more oily the roast, the coarser the grind, but you basically need to dial your grinder in every time you change beans. Stick with roughly the same roast level (or the same bean!) and you won't need to mess with it as much.