Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, Capcom's bringing SF5 PC to arcades.

Joke 1:
Itll install rootkits and break itself

Joke 2:
The cabinet's controls use Direct Input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arcades are back baby

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

The cabinet's controls use Direct Input

steam is getting native ds4 support so finally against capcoms apparent wishes, sfv branded sticks will work with sfv.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

steam is getting native ds4 support so finally against capcoms apparent wishes, sfv branded sticks will work with sfv.

Is that how it works? Even though the sticks are ps4 controllers, I'm not sure they are seen as DS4's. Like, when I run DS4Windows, it doesn't see my stick at all as a DS4.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

giogadi posted:

Is that how it works? Even though the sticks are ps4 controllers, I'm not sure they are seen as DS4's. Like, when I run DS4Windows, it doesn't see my stick at all as a DS4.

oh that sucks then

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

To compensate for the lovely LCDs that will inevitably be placed inside the arcade cabs and to provide a consistent feel no matter which platform you play SFV on, we've increased the input lag on the PC and PS4 releases,

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Blind guy plays MKX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzRO4YoRjqM

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Taito announced the successor to their Nesica arcade hardware, Nesica x Live 2: it'll be released next year sometime and it'll feature online play between different game centers, similar to Tekken 7. The companies that have pledged support include Arc System Works, Square-Enix, French Bread (Melty Blood, Under Night, Dengeki Bunko), G.rev (Senko no Ronde), FK Digital (Chaos Code) and Examu (Arcana Heart, Nitroplus), and they've also confirmed that KOF14 will be a launch title for the new hardware.

I get the impression no filthy gaijin arcades are gonna get this? I know the original Nesica x Live online thing didn't work in America, period, even if you imported a cab.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I get the impression no filthy gaijin arcades are gonna get this? I know the original Nesica x Live online thing didn't work in America, period, even if you imported a cab.

There's not a chance in the world. At best Round 1 will get a version of the cabinet that has no netplay or ability to update 2 years after the fact.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Galloping Ghost has some weird modern Japanese cabs and every other KOF game ever so I wouldn't be surprised if they got the KOFXIV machine. Other than that I doubt t

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FanaticalMilk posted:

There's not a chance in the world. At best Round 1 will get a version of the cabinet that has no netplay or ability to update 2 years after the fact.

I seriously don't get why these arcade systems are specifically locked to Japan. Do they straight-up just not want gaijin money, in the manner of some of the weirder doujin devs?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I seriously don't get why these arcade systems are specifically locked to Japan. Do they straight-up just not want gaijin money, in the manner of some of the weirder doujin devs?

licensing and distribution rights maybe

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zand posted:

licensing and distribution rights maybe

so racism and xenophobia then

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Because modern arcade cabinets are based around an internet infrastructure America is not capable of. When you play versus people on most Nesica cabinets you're not actually playing the person sitting next/across from you. You're connecting via the internet and playing a netplay game, it's just the latency is so good in Japan, the difference is negligible if you aren't looking for it. Arcades in America carrying Nesica cabinets is basically the equivalent of someone playing Phantasy Star Online 2 with a fan translation, it's not intended, but the developers aren't gonna stop you from throwing money at them. Lastly, there is not enough of an arcade scene in America to justify Taito setting up a US branch, create servers, and run support for said servers. Much like PSO2, the numbers just don't add up.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dragon enthusiast posted:

so racism and xenophobia then

This thread is aware that arcades are basically dead in america and the best for fighting games you find is random Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Cabs at movie theaters, right?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

wet your whistlers mother posted:

This thread is aware that arcades are basically dead in america and the best for fighting games you find is random Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Cabs at movie theaters, right?

I was at the Lost Ark in Greensboro last year and had like a thirty minute set against some stranger in 3S, then introduced my friends to Windjammers. It was great. I really recommend being near one of the four good arcades in the US

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why aren't arcades dead in Japan

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because the home console market didn't invalidate it for some people like it did americans

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Smoking Crow posted:

people walk around more, carry around more pocket change, etc

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

it's sort of circular logic to use that as the justification for not releasing arcade stuff in America, though. even outside of the few specialized arcades that still exist, movie theaters and places like Dave & Buster's, Main Event, etc are constantly swapping out their poo poo for the New Hotness, and it'd be pretty cool to see that New Hotness be made by a company other than loving Raw Thrills for once, or maybe be an actual substantial game and not a giant Doodle Jump machine (I'm not kidding, that's honest-to-God a thing).

the stuff about needing a whole new infrastructure that Taito just doesn't wanna gently caress with makes sense, though.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the types of games that are in arcades are more popular in Japan. Fighting games and shooters have always been bigger over there. Likewise, the ways in which those genres have progressed over the years lends itself more to Japan. Look at all the waifus in the latest Dodonpachi release (I know this isn't exactly a huge game), and the fact that Blazblue far eclipsed the popularity of Street Fighter IV in Japanese arcades. The stuff coming out of Japan went down the otaku Rabbit hole and moved further and further away from stuff that has a global appeal. Lastly, Japanese arcades moved to a format of machines where the game the machine was playing could be swapped out for another one, see the Neo Geo MVS/CPS2 as well as modern stuff like Nesica x Live, whereas US arcades stuck with the one machine/one game format that arcades started with (the exception being the Neo Geo MVS). Also, arcades in America got a really bad stigma of being a place where gangbangers/drug dealers hung out, whereas the Japanese view these places as a bar/place you can go to after work or school, and not somewhere a parent wants to keep their kid from going. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but those are the ones that jump out at me.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Arcades are dead in UK (London) too. It's mostly gaming bars and venues with lot of cabs managed by enthusiasts. There's Vegas next to the old Troc Funland and there's Violent City close to Manor house station. There's a new Heart of Gaming opening in Shepherds Bush too.

I do question how Mark actually managed to even get a place like that after me, Simeon, Sendo and Joff left, but I do wish he does it right this time.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Next question, when will the barcade fad die

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Happy to hear about SFV getting some arcade presence, but I'm kinda shocked KOF14 didn't already.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bhsman posted:

Happy to hear about SFV getting some arcade presence, but I'm kinda shocked KOF14 didn't already.

Neo-Geo Land 2 confirmed

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Smoking Crow posted:

There's like 5 barcades here in chicago and they're all good and popular so hopefully never

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

We have OG Tekken 5, Alpha 3, 3S, Arcade Edition 2012 and Marvel 2 at my university (University of Houston) but yeah this is p much the case outside of that.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

bhsman posted:

They have an exclusivity deal with Sony, so they may not have wanted to hurt that relationship by announcing the arcade release at the exact same time. Or it could be the internal team wanted an arcade version but the Chinese publisher (who I imagine are the ones that secured the Sony deal) made the developers put priority on the PS4 version first and the arcade version was secondary. Also, given the size of the team it was probably easier for them to focus on bug testing/updating a single version, and then porting that final product to arcade, rather than having to do all the work simultaneously on two different versions that are running on different hardware.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Smoking Crow posted:

As long as people like alchohol and video games, never.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Smoking Crow posted:

They're getting around to it, give it a few more years.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
As soon as people with nostalgia for arcades age out of going out drinking regularly and get saddled with spouses and kids.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Do you know how expensive arcade machines are now that barcades exist

A Daytona USA cab used to be attainable, and now it's too much

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Polls are closed.

The winning game of Punch the Ballot 11 is...

Vampire Savior 2!

Check-in starts thirty minutes before the tournament begins.

You can watch the stream here.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
One of the biggest reasons why arcades in Japan aren't dead is because of the more centralized nature of Japan as a whole. When you can just hop on a train from anywhere and get to an arcade easily it is way easier to just do that on a whim. This also ends up building a culture that more readily will go to an arcade just to hang out with friends, because it can be a place where friends from all over the place can easily meet up and play some games.

Alongside all of this as well is that the sheer amount of arcade games in Japan is crazy and if you go to an arcade like A-Cho you have an absurd selection of things to just dick around playing for the afternoon.

Really the biggest thing the SF5 and KoF14 arcade releases is that they will allow these games to have a much larger scene in Japan because the console only nature meant that people who would regularly go to the arcade won't stop going just to play a single game. Now these people who are inclined to play these games will do so while they are at the place where their friends are at. This also means that at the least SF5 will have a scene that could last long enough (in Japan at least) for the game to get the updates and balance changes it needs.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

Polls are closed.

The winning game of Punch the Ballot 11 is...

Vampire Savior 2!

Check-in starts thirty minutes before the tournament begins.

You can watch the stream here.

"..." is right

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

uncleKitchener posted:

Arcades are dead in UK (London) too. It's mostly gaming bars and venues with lot of cabs managed by enthusiasts. There's Vegas next to the old Troc Funland and there's Violent City close to Manor house station. There's a new Heart of Gaming opening in Shepherds Bush too.

I do question how Mark actually managed to even get a place like that after me, Simeon, Sendo and Joff left, but I do wish he does it right this time.

OTOH up in the northwest UK we have Arcade club, which is 150+ machines, all on freeplay, at £10 for a day pass.

It's the absolute nuts, though I'd love to take a trip down to Violent city sometime, looks fantastic from the pictures.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

There's a new Heart of Gaming opening in Shepherds Bush too.

Oh, poo poo, they're reopening? I thought they were gone for good.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Oh, poo poo, they're reopening? I thought they were gone for good.

I had no idea they even closed despite the fact I live like 20 minutes away from the place.

the hell happened

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm kinda surprised there's no good arcades in NYC at all but I guess if you don't serve alcohol there's very little chance of you making money operating an arcade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm kinda surprised there's no good arcades in NYC at all but I guess if you don't serve alcohol there's very little chance of you making money operating an arcade

What about next level?