Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I don't know if I should worry that The Nexus has peaked two episodes in, or be hopeful there's still more cenobite-like highs to come. I had to turn it off at work because there was a solid period where I just couldn't stop laughing to focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

END ME SCOOB posted:

I don't know if I should worry that The Nexus has peaked two episodes in, or be hopeful there's still more cenobite-like highs to come. I had to turn it off at work because there was a solid period where I just couldn't stop laughing to focus.

Next months episode is going to be amazing https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Honor_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If I've never watched any Star-Trek at all, will I get any enjoyment out of the Nexus shows?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hockles posted:

If I've never watched any Star-Trek at all, will I get any enjoyment out of the Nexus shows?
The WHM multiverse has never been about the movie or cartoon itself. I don't do Trek and I still enjoy it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Discovered this podcast last week, have been working backwards. Can confirm, after Spiderman II and Lady in the Water, best Paul Giamatti impersonations ever, by at least 3/4 of youse guise.
Call me when you get to Blame it on Rio

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hockles posted:

I haven't listened to any of The Nexus yet, but they did a regular WHM episode on Star Trek Insurrection, so I bet that's probably a good taste of what to expect. But I'll agree with weekly font. I listen to episodes on movies that I have zero familiarity with and they're really good.

I'm pretty broke right now, but it sounds like Code Of Honor might be worth pitching in to the Patreon. Hoo boy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

If you're still on the fence about supporting them at the $8 level, episode 2 of The Nexus is one of the funniest episodes of anything they've ever produced.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vermain posted:

If you're still on the fence about supporting them at the $8 level, episode 2 of The Nexus is one of the funniest episodes of anything they've ever produced.

I like that McCoy actually did do it all for the nookie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vermain posted:

One hundred per cent agreed. I have probably seen that episode at some point in my life, question mark?, but I don't really remember it much and the episode was still phenomenal.

Plus since I do a podcast myself it would be supremely hypocritical for me to not support one that I listen to literally several times a week. It's become my drive-time radio basically and severely cuts into my audiobook completion rate...

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I got like half an hour into it and just gave up.

I'll be honest, I have no real experience with this franchise apart from III; were they trying to make Michael Myers a dark spirit or something with his spirit infecting the kid from the end of 4?

Yeah in one version of the film that seems to be what they were going for, but they don't really commit and in another version its kinda just dropped. It doesn't really matter the curse itself makes no sense either. The funny thing is both version contradict their version of the curse in different ways.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 16, 2016

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
that's it i am going to give them my 8 dollars, i am going to cancel my wwe network, i am getting bored of wrestling.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Cyron posted:

that's it i am going to give them my 8 dollars, i am going to cancel my wwe network, i am getting bored of wrestling.

Bah gawd, he's killed him!

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Cyron posted:

I was really happy when I got bored with wrestling. Trying to keep up with it was such a time sink and I always kind of hated myself for being into at my age in the first place.

Also, apparently The Man Trap was actually like the 4th produced episode of Star Trek, but they opted to air it first, which is why the obvious second pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is episode four and features completely different costumes from the rest of the series. Must have been super confusing to viewers back then, and I'm sure the guys will be talking all about that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The 15 minute tangent in this week's episode about who's seen which Earnest movies is loving hilarious.

Also, drat Cabin, you went on this ride 50 times?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I only remember seeing this Ernest movie, so I have a question. What's the deal with "Hey, Verne" or whatever? Was it his catchphrase? Was Verne a recurring character in the other movies? Can anyone explain it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hockles posted:

I only remember seeing this Ernest movie, so I have a question. What's the deal with "Hey, Verne" or whatever? Was it his catchphrase? Was Verne a recurring character in the other movies? Can anyone explain it?

We are Verne.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hockles posted:

The Earnest character actually started as part of an ad campaign for...I want to say orange juice for some reason? Anyway, the ads involved Earnest coming up to "Vern", who was basically the camera POV, and pulling the overeager/friendly-invasive neighbor routine.

<leans in kitchen window> "Hey Verne, I see you're having breakfast! And I also see you're eating _______, so good for you!" etc. etc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I could be wrong here as it's been a while but if I remember right he started the Earnest character in a car dealership commercial and he would say "Hey Verne" to the camera and start speaking to an imaginary person and it stuck as a reoccurring bit.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ernest basically was a local ad superstar. Local dealerships, regional ads - poo poo like that. Verne was the neighbor he was selling the products too.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The spelling is Vern not Verne you philistines

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hockles posted:

He sold everything, but is was a pretty Southern thing, judging by who is buying ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCf3c4ScA1I

I have already watched a half an hour of this.

double edit: jesus there is a drunk driving PSA in here

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 18, 2016

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Corek posted:

The spelling is Vern not Verne you philistines

Sorry for starting it. I thought it might have been Vern, but Verne looked right to me in text.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Do Not Worry About Andrew Jupin™

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

OctoberCountry posted:

Do Not Worry About Andrew Jupin™

And he's dead....

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
RIPD.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is all pretty fascinating to me cuz even as a lil kid I already knew the Ernest movies were Bad and Dumb so I never caught them. Just the dumb ads on tv talking to "Vern"
It's weird discovering that he was actually an ad character that transitioned to film/tv, I always assumed it was the reverse. You telling me this poo poo was like Flo from Progressive getting movies or those dumb cavemen and their tv show actually succeeding? Jfc

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ernest Owns.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Real talk.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Jim Varney'sd non-Ernest work was weird.

quote:

So think about how I felt when I saw my childhood idol stripped to his underwear covered in what appears to be oatmeal. Imagine my surprise when I saw Jim Varney, a the precursor to all those Jeff Foxworthies and Larry the Cable Guys, screaming at the top of his lungs about capitalism and “getting a whiff of ribald pussy.” Envision, for a second, the pain I felt when, in the middle of his diatribe, Varney was shot in the eye and started gushing blood – Ernest’s blood! – all over the restaurant.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is all pretty fascinating to me cuz even as a lil kid I already knew the Ernest movies were Bad and Dumb so I never caught them. Just the dumb ads on tv talking to "Vern"
It's weird discovering that he was actually an ad character that transitioned to film/tv, I always assumed it was the reverse. You telling me this poo poo was like Flo from Progressive getting movies or those dumb cavemen and their tv show actually succeeding? Jfc

Ernest was an original creation that was used in local ads, like how the Muppets were commercial stars before getting their own movies or how Dr. Seuss illustrated ads before making childrens books.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh. That's not as bad then.
In re: Jim Varney who I would've loved to see in a film with Chris Cooper, I'll just leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKO-hqQZ9dU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So, uh...

What happened with the chair?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like how everyone who talks about Ernest movies always commend Jim Varney on being a good actor despite how bad the movie is.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Cabin's parents must be saints for not smothering him in his sleep after the first year of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7h1XqeGsiI

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have never seen an Ernest movie, but everything I've heard about them makes me feel like I would think they were dumb as hell while enjoying every moment

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ain't no trees in Botswanna! I know, I am a Botswanian lumberjack an' I ain't ever had a job!

I love EsS and cannot be objective about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:stonk:

well I know what I'm calling in for Listener Request Month, because good loving lord

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have never seen an Ernest movie, but everything I've heard about them makes me feel like I would think they were dumb as hell while enjoying every moment

I think a lot of it is that the movies are just really cheap and poorly made. Like, in the hands of better people he could have had stuff on par with good Jim Carey comedies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think a lot of it is that the movies are just really cheap and poorly made. Like, in the hands of better people he could have had stuff on par with good Jim Carey comedies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was the episode more of a We Love Movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The latest episode was great but I don't care what no one say, Ernest is charming.

Also I'm re-binging the WHM and returning to the Babycakes episode was a treat. It's a great episode full of interesting discussion, probably because Babycakes sounds like a non-stop boatride of horrible. It's in my top five WHM.