Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VikingSkull posted:

it's gonna be Hisense anyway

I read in an article last month that PayPal was in the running. It won't be that, but holy poo poo I would love it sooooooo much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's kind of unreal how good Harvick has been since he moved to SHR.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Kevin "Prep the Bull" Harvick

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Did anybody not in IRC notice what looked like strange damage to the C-post on Harvick's car as he came up on the flagstand for the flag after the race?

HMCP and I both caught that NBC didn't show the left side of the car again after that, including in victory lane.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

Cingular/AT&T on the 31 and Alltel/Verizon on the 12 when Nextel came to town, too.

The others were allowed since they predated the Nextel sponsorship but I'm pretty sure Verizon was banned outright and the car was just black with red stripes and no sponsor.

edit: yeah

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 16, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Peanut President posted:

The others were allowed since they predated the Nextel sponsorship but I'm pretty sure Verizon was banned outright and the car was just black with red stripes and no sponsor.

There were a few races where the 31 ran blank in the same fashion as the 12 because they couldn't run AT&T decals due to a dispute over exclusivity or something.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 16, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Austin Dillon just thanked his Dow Kills Chevy

:wtc:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I was confused too

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that's..... unfortunate

also just going on record now and saying Dega elimination race is as dumb an idea as Indycars at Vegas with $5 mil on the line

just sayin'

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fortunately they wised up and it's changing next year

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR is not profitable as a business. Sports are never profitable. If they're making money they're either a front for the mob or they're scamming someone (the drivers probably).

is this a joke? tons of sports are profitable, precisely because they screw over athletes/teams/fans

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

While doing the Fan Council survey, the Kansas/Sprint connection just made me wonder something- did the track there get its second date to appease the sport's title sponsor, and might that second date go away at some point because Sprint is no longer paying them money to advertise their company?

I know there's the five-year agreement or whatever it is, but is ISC likely to move the date somewhere else because they can (i.e., something like a return visit to the Glen for that long yearned-for road course race in the Chase)?

They could theoretically give that date to Iowa because it's still relatively close geographically, but :lol: why would we do something fun like that to take money out of ISC's pockets?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

VikingSkull posted:

With movies and multiple-sponsorship titles, I propose the Erin Brokavich Screwed My Dog Skip 400.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Kevin "Prep the Bull" Harvick

The NASCAR Berth Ell Cup Series

VikingSkull posted:

They want an international audience, this is a great start at warming up to the Indian market.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 17, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

shame on an IGA posted:

They want an international audience, this is a great start at warming up to the Indian market.

technically they were still Union Carbide then but still....

:thurman:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

shame on an IGA posted:

Okay, seriously, time for bed.

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 17, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: Steve O'Donnell told Mike Bagley today NASCAR is seriously considering Sprint Cup driver participation in the lower series for 2017.

V: I'll believe it when I see it (and I believe they'll totally gently caress it up), but I'm telling you, man:
-Advancement past Round 1 of the Chase (1st-12th): Total of 10 races across any lower series (Cumulative. 6 NXS, 4 CWTS for example is your 10. Choose wisely, Kyle.).
-13th-25th in points: Total of 16 races across any lower series.
-26th+ in points: Total of 25 races across any lower series. You probably need the seat time.

Sprint Cup rookies are exempt from the rules for their rookie year only. (For example, Chase and Blaney could run as many as they wanted this year.)

No more than two of those races can be NXS or CWTS Chase races. No participation in NXS or CWTS elimination races. You want the Chase system to work? You can't have a Cup driver win the final elimination race or the NASCAR Bowl.

You still can have star power show up in your races if you really believe Kyle Busch smoking the field sells tickets, but it's not ruining the entire series.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 17, 2016

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If they don't just blanket a limit across the series I think it makes more sense to give drivers with less experience more races in the lower series, rather than base it on points

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I had to explain to my dad the other day that no, a Cup driver winning doesn't mean no Xfinity drivers advance.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

CBJSprague24 posted:

N: Steve O'Donnell told Mike Bagley today NASCAR is seriously considering Sprint Cup driver participation in the lower series for 2017.

I've been arguing for years that there is a real easy way to do it.

-Only your first 36 starts count to points.

Oh you ran 5 Busch races during the summer? Whoops now your finishes don't count in the last 5 races of the Chase. GN guys can run 3 cup races and still contend for their title, Truck guys can run 13 extra races and contend, Cup guys can run 0. If you're some newbie who is doing transition for a year or some part timer you don't really care about points anyway.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
fast forward a decade after Cup drivers are banned and a JGR style team is still winning every race

nah, that can't be it, it's these loving drivers*

*Kyle Busch

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
It's definitely the teams, since even previous notorious whackers Martin and Burton didn't always dominate every race they jumped down to do. And they shouldn't completely bar them from doing so, because it's good for fans, it's good for developing lower series drivers going against the big names, and it's good for getting sponsors. But it's detrimental when people turn on the race and say "oh, same running lineup as every week, guess I'll swap to football". Some limitation would be beneficial all around.

But Busch deserves every bit of flack for running it into the ground, particularly for 2008-2011. He ran 84% of the races run across all 3 series. That's both impressive, and also meant if you watched all races from all series, you saw 70,000 laps worth of Kyle Busch racing in that time span.

And speaking of 2008, just look at this list of winners, it's like playing Where's Waldo trying to find non Cup guys: http://racing-reference.info/raceyear/2008/B

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"Kyle Busch you are too good you need to stop we hate you :mad:"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Yes

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

It's definitely the teams, since even previous notorious whackers Martin and Burton didn't always dominate every race they jumped down to do. And they shouldn't completely bar them from doing so, because it's good for fans, it's good for developing lower series drivers going against the big names, and it's good for getting sponsors. But it's detrimental when people turn on the race and say "oh, same running lineup as every week, guess I'll swap to football". Some limitation would be beneficial all around.

But Busch deserves every bit of flack for running it into the ground, particularly for 2008-2011. He ran 84% of the races run across all 3 series. That's both impressive, and also meant if you watched all races from all series, you saw 70,000 laps worth of Kyle Busch racing in that time span.

And speaking of 2008, just look at this list of winners, it's like playing Where's Waldo trying to find non Cup guys: http://racing-reference.info/raceyear/2008/B

I like that article on the Wiki talking about the Busch Series where whoever wrote it posted the top 12 from a race at Michigan and Jason Leffler and Todd Bodine were the only ones without success in Cup.

Another difference is when Buschwacking happened in the late '90s and early 2000s it was entirely possible for them to be beaten on track by competitive teams such as BACE (LaJoie), Cicci-Welliver (Bodine, McLaughlin), BREWCO (Atwood, Purvis, D. Green, Johnny Sauter), PPI (J. Green, Keller, Riggs), not-advanced-to-Cup-yet DEI (Park, Junyer), Robbie Reiser's team (Kenseth) and, later, Akins (Kahne) and Cup teams with NXS regulars/up-and-coming drivers (Vickers, Kyle at HMS, Truex at an early incarnation of JRM, Bliss at JGR, Harvick and Hornaday at RCR, Biffle at Roush, Hamlin, Yeley at JGR).

Who's been able to do that in recent years? JRM with Kes both before and after becoming Hendrick Lite, Turner-Scott did nicely in the lower series until the owners got pissed at each other and shut it down, GMS seems as though they have the potential given what they've done in Trucks so far. That's about it. The Cup teams have backfilled some of those lost rides, but an NXS dominated by Cup teams with their own drivers is better than "Kyle Busch leads 296 of 300 laps and four cars finished on the lead lap".

VikingSkull posted:

Isn't that how it works at the dirt track?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 17, 2016

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

Yes, he's good. But that's not the problem. 40,000 laps of seat time would do a world of good for a development driver, and team resources are being put into the already top tier driver's car and not the guys who need the seat time and experience.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Yes, he's good. But that's not the problem. 40,000 laps of seat time would do a world of good for a development driver, and team resources are being put into the already top tier driver's car and not the guys who need the seat time and experience.

Plus, you have to believe at least some sponsors have been spoiled to the point of no return by discounted association with guys like Kyle Busch. Sponsorship has been hard to come by in Cup in the last ten years. Is Discount Tire going to stay in NXS with a young driver at Penske if Brad and Joey don't get to run their car anymore? Does NOS Energy give a poo poo about Matt Tifft?

It's like the point Cygni made in response to Kidc's question about why HMS was still running Gordon this year: "if you can't get me at least a little bit of name recognition for the price we're paying, why bother?". BYOSponsor guys may have the fast track to top rides.

e- From Jayski:

quote:

Since 2011, Cup regulars have won 138 of the 196 Xfinity races (70.4%)

2011 is when they made drivers declare for one series and a few guys bailed. I bet it was even worse before. Doing some research if you want to use the simple definition of Buschwacker as "Full-Time Cup Driver", ignoring "he was still a rookie", etc.:
-2006- 34/35; only David Gilliland won a race.
-2007- 30/35
-2008- 29/35
-2009- 30/35
-2010- 33/35

156/175, 89.1%. Add that to the 138 of 196 and you get 294/371, or 79.2%.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 17, 2016

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

Everyone in my house is sick as hell so I've been spending most of the day laying with my kids and watching 80s Sportsman and Busch races on TV. I swear I'll never complain about the Buschwhackers again. The amount of Cup guys running 2nd tier back then is on par with what we have now. The funniest part is that the driving talent even amongst the scrubs is still better than ARCA in the TYOOL 2016.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
80s Busch, especially the races that actually got broadcasted on TV, was bad too. There was about a decade where it was a great series in its own right, until, like someone said, all the Busch-only teams died.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VikingSkull posted:

fast forward a decade after Cup drivers are banned and a JGR style team is still winning every race

So?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"why should there be 32 nfl teams when 1 is enough for me"--viking

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

Isn't that how it works at the dirt track?

yeah but gently caress Brett Hearn

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

shame on an IGA posted:

:vince:

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

My dumb idea: make all the Xfinity races that draw less than 10,000 people anyway and make them part of a Sunday doubleheader. Hold the Cup drivers meeting before the Xfinity race is over so anyone wanting to run both will lose their starting position in the Cup race.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

https://twitter.com/rickmast22/status/788166470845030404

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
How about this compromise. A certain number of starts if you drive for your Cup team. No starts if you drive for your own team. Unlimited other starts if you drive for a team not yours or your Cup owners.

Spread the sponsor money to smaller teams, keep Cup guys drawing the fans and providing a simulation of what rising stars need to compete at the next level.

e- Rick Mast is one of those sage old dudes like Dave Marcis now, gently caress I'm old

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

How about this compromise. A certain number of starts if you drive for your Cup team. No starts if you drive for your own team. Unlimited other starts if you drive for a team not yours or your Cup owners.

Spread the sponsor money to smaller teams, keep Cup guys drawing the fans and providing a simulation of what rising stars need to compete at the next level.

e- Rick Mast is one of those sage old dudes like Dave Marcis now, gently caress I'm old

I get the feeling that a ton of drivers would run based on technicalities if you go by team, given how many alliances exist now.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Coolbox

1968 Firecracker 400

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Love me some open haulers, and this has to be one of the best.

Note the text: Dick won 67 !! features in 1972

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004

theacox posted:

Love me some open haulers, and this has to be one of the best.

Note the text: Dick won 67 !! features in 1972

That's A&Wsome. I used to go every Thursday with my dad to the local A&W drive-in for their weekly car show. An F-40 showed up once. It may well have been my first boner.

• Locked thread