Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Astronaut lady has a photo of World War II man so it's clearly a generational thing and I've already written too many words about the intro video to a Civ game

Agreed. The person in the spacecraft was carrying on the other person's legacy. It's his daughter.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Dude, they're the same people, across space and time.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The trailer symbolizes the duality of Man and the futility of Man's war. Because in the end, Woman shall inherit the Earth.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 31, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So if you and a buddy were playing, you could just pillage his stuff all day long while he repairs it, granting you the pillage bonuses with basically no cost to him?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I broke down and preordered this game, despite being very anti-preorder in general. I am shame.

now gimme gimme gimme

I'm unemployed at the moment, Thursday can't come fast enough.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Pretty sure I only bought one but GMG have emailed me two codes. I've already preloaded on the first code. Can I give the second to a friend? Did a end up with a free for-a-friend extra?

(I bought deluxe)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Anony Mouse posted:

I broke down and preordered this game, despite being very anti-preorder in general. I am shame.

now gimme gimme gimme

I'm unemployed at the moment, Thursday can't come fast enough.

:ohdear: Friday

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pretty sure I only bought one but GMG have emailed me two codes. I've already preloaded on the first code. Can I give the second to a friend? Did a end up with a free for-a-friend extra?

(I bought deluxe)

I think one of your codes might be for some of the extra stuff. Make sure you have all this.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

(I bought deluxe)

It might be the Deluxe stuff or the Aztec preorder bonus.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The second code was called "Aztec" in the email I got, so it's probably to unlock them early.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, my GamersGate codes have come in, and yeah, the second code is for the Aztec pack. Preloading now. Time to get some sleep and wake up to... A preloaded game I can't actually play yet.

Man, it's going to be a long wait until Friday. (Or I guess Thursday since I'm Pacific.)

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, my GamersGate codes have come in.

Thanks for the headsup. Assumed I'd get an email or something from them but turns out my codes were finally ready too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, my GamersGate codes have come in, and yeah, the second code is for the Aztec pack. Preloading now. Time to get some sleep and wake up to... A preloaded game I can't actually play yet.

Man, it's going to be a long wait until Friday. (Or I guess Thursday since I'm Pacific.)

i'm excited that i finally get that thursday release but i'm soooooo bummed that i have work this saturday only you don't even know

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

splifyphus posted:

The formula for growth works like so: [(current population level + next population level)/2] x 10 = amount of food necessary for growth.

Isn't this just current population x 10 + 5, or am I (you) missing something?

splifyphus posted:

[*]Norwegian longships can use their raid ability to destroy barb camps and pop goodie huts on coasts.

I wish that was a baseline ability for everyone :smith:

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

Cosmic Afro posted:

Thanks you, it still works! But it's saying '20% off Civ VI Mac Pre-Order', and I clearly want it for windows.

Is that, uh, just a display error or something.

Thanks for this, I ordered it and got my keys instantly as well.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
And now a bunch of... basic tutorial videos.

How to Choose a Civilization
How to Get Help
How to Take Your First Turns
How to Explore
How to Deal with Barbarians
How to Make Diplomacy Work

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How to get Help

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

civ 6 regular seems like a beta for civ 6 game of the year edition

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Is there any analysis of cultural victories/tourism now? I saw in some previews that each tile has a pleasantness/aesthetics factor and with a lens for it as well and I'm wondering how and why the game decides on the tile's prettiness. My first game will probably be a cultural japan and I wonder if that means building theatre districts and aerodromes on cute coastlines or what.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Deltasquid posted:

Is there any analysis of cultural victories/tourism now? I saw in some previews that each tile has a pleasantness/aesthetics factor and with a lens for it as well and I'm wondering how and why the game decides on the tile's prettiness. My first game will probably be a cultural japan and I wonder if that means building theatre districts and aerodromes on cute coastlines or what.

I'm pretty sure that is actually related to housing. I thought the more appealing the tile, the more people will move into the neighborhood you build there.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm pretty sure that is actually related to housing. I thought the more appealing the tile, the more people will move into the neighborhood you build there.

It affects the housing of neighborhoods, but it also hooks into the tourism part of the game. I'm pretty sure a lot of the tourism generating things have a minimum appeal to be built, and may scale their output with the appeal.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The worst part about all the civs being so interesting is that I have no idea who I want to play first.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

High appeal tiles are needed to be able to place national parks or seaside resorts. They have a minimal appeal requirement, but I believe higher appeal gives more tourism yield.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Prism posted:

The worst part about all the civs being so interesting is that I have no idea who I want to play first.

Well, there is always a random button.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Alkydere posted:

Well, there is always a random button.

I've never used it in my first game before, but at this rate I may have to.

That said, I really like the amount of Civ differentiation they've got here, with the different abilities really changing what you want to do (and, for AI, what they want to do).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

OperaMouse posted:

High appeal tiles are needed to be able to place national parks or seaside resorts. They have a minimal appeal requirement, but I believe higher appeal gives more tourism yield.

So somehow we're merging in Master of Olympus mechanics? Will the expansion suddenly have gods/spirits showing up to bless us?

(This would be interesting; I think I favour it.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bloodly posted:

So somehow we're merging in ZEUS, MASTER OF OLYMPUS mechanics? Will the expansion suddenly have gods/spirits showing up to bless us?

(This would be interesting; I think I favour it.)

I fixed your post and yes, any call backs to my favorite childhood city builder are welcome :unsmith:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
If anyone successfully held off on buying this game until now:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-deluxe-edition/

Green man gaming has it for 20% off, including the deluxe edition. It doesn't show up on the website but in my cart it shows up as $63.99. I was going to buy it with $80 steam bucks but now I can spend those on the winter sale discounts instead and save more money than having to eventually add more steam wallet funds.

I think people generally know about the site's legitimacy but in case there are any doubts, I've bought steam keys for preorders for them back since 2013, and they always worked.

e; they're actually licensed by Firaxis, they show up on the "where to buy" right by Amazon on the official website.

cerious fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 18, 2016

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

So to win a cultural victory, you need to have more visiting tourists than any other single country has domestic tourists. The numbers on this aren't clear yet. Tourism obviously attracts tourists, but what exactly determines your domestic tourism is still up in the air. But basically, get more Tourism to win.

Tourism is generated in a few specific ways:
1) Great Works/Archeological Artifacts in your Theatre Square buildings
2) National Parks, quoting from a Civ wiki, which in turn is quoting the Civopedia:
Naturalists may be purchased in your city with Faith after researching the Conservation civic, and can be used to designate National Parks. Creating a National Park consumes the Naturalist unit.
National Parks can be built on a cluster of any four contiguous hexes that meet the following requirements:

The tiles must be Natural Wonders, Mountains, or a tile with an Appeal of Charming or better.
All four of the tiles must be owned by the same city.
The tiles must form a diamond shape.
No tile can have an improvement or a district on it.

A National Park's Tourism output is equal to the total Appeal of all the tiles included in the park.
Creating a National Park will also give your civilization extra Amenities. You will receive 2 Amenities in the city that owns the park and 1 Amenity towards the 4 closest cities in your empire.

3) Seaside Resorts. Built by Builders after Radio tech. Must be built on a flat Coastal tile (I think grasslands/plains/desert only) with Appeal of Breathtaking or higher. Provides double the Appeal in Tourism.
4) Wonders - I think? This isn't clear to me yet. But the Eiffel Tower at least provides +2 Appeal to all your tiles (boosting NPs/Resorts), and many Wonders provide space for Great Works (like the Sydney Opera House). I think they also boost nearby Appeal.
5) Social Policy cards - some of the cards boost the output of the above mechanisms.

Note that certain districts, including the Industrial Zone and the Aerodrome, reduce tile Appeal nearby (so don't build that near your planned resort coasts)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Holy poo poo. I was all set on trying to conquer everything my first game but now I don't know if I don't want to just play National Park simulator right out of the gate.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

cerious posted:

Green man gaming has it for 20% off, including the deluxe edition. It doesn't show up on the website but in my cart it shows up as $63.99. I was going to buy it with $80 steam bucks but now I can spend those on the winter sale discounts instead and save more money than having to eventually add more steam wallet funds.

Thanks for letting me know about this. I thought I missed out on the GMG offer, so I went with an Amazon preorder, but this is better so I cancelled that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cerious posted:

I think people generally know about the site's legitimacy but in case there are any doubts, I've bought steam keys for preorders for them back since 2013, and they always worked.

e; they're actually licensed by Firaxis, they show up on the "where to buy" right by Amazon on the official website.

fuuck ok I think I'm going to get this. What does the deluxe edition actually get you

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

StashAugustine posted:

fuuck ok I think I'm going to get this. What does the deluxe edition actually get you

The first 4 DLC packs + Soundtrack.

Beef-Stew
Feb 1, 2005
mmmmmmm... Beefy

cerious posted:

Thanks for sharing, this is awesome. I have some friends returning their preorders on steam so they can stack this with the referral discount as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cerious posted:

Thanks for this, just cancelled my amazon order and upgraded to Deluxe thanks to this!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TyrantWD posted:

The first 4 DLC packs + Soundtrack.

Any idea what the "first 4 DLC packs" will cover? If it's just one-off civ packs I'll skip it...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

Any idea what the "first 4 DLC packs" will cover? If it's just one-off civ packs I'll skip it...

"Expand your empire further with the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe which includes the full base game, the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack, and access to four post-launch DLC packs that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount."

Everything there being plural plus the word "packs" makes it sound like you're getting quite a few things with each. How much, we don't know, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Roland Jones posted:

"Expand your empire further with the Civilization VI Digital Deluxe which includes the full base game, the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack, and access to four post-launch DLC packs that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount."

Everything there being plural plus the word "packs" makes it sound like you're getting quite a few things with each. How much, we don't know, though.

I'm just worried because the first four "DLC packs" for Civ V were things I didn't even know existed until I went to buy Gods & Kings and was like "Wait what the hell is all of this?"

Ugh Firaxis, just tell us what the season pass covers!

I guess for $4 more than the standard version from Steam it's probably just worth the gamble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gully Foyle posted:

So to win a cultural victory, you need to have more visiting tourists than any other single country has domestic tourists. The numbers on this aren't clear yet. Tourism obviously attracts tourists, but what exactly determines your domestic tourism is still up in the air. But basically, get more Tourism to win.

Tourism is generated in a few specific ways:
1) Great Works/Archeological Artifacts in your Theatre Square buildings
2) National Parks, quoting from a Civ wiki, which in turn is quoting the Civopedia:
Naturalists may be purchased in your city with Faith after researching the Conservation civic, and can be used to designate National Parks. Creating a National Park consumes the Naturalist unit.
National Parks can be built on a cluster of any four contiguous hexes that meet the following requirements:

The tiles must be Natural Wonders, Mountains, or a tile with an Appeal of Charming or better.
All four of the tiles must be owned by the same city.
The tiles must form a diamond shape.
No tile can have an improvement or a district on it.

A National Park's Tourism output is equal to the total Appeal of all the tiles included in the park.
Creating a National Park will also give your civilization extra Amenities. You will receive 2 Amenities in the city that owns the park and 1 Amenity towards the 4 closest cities in your empire.

3) Seaside Resorts. Built by Builders after Radio tech. Must be built on a flat Coastal tile (I think grasslands/plains/desert only) with Appeal of Breathtaking or higher. Provides double the Appeal in Tourism.
4) Wonders - I think? This isn't clear to me yet. But the Eiffel Tower at least provides +2 Appeal to all your tiles (boosting NPs/Resorts), and many Wonders provide space for Great Works (like the Sydney Opera House). I think they also boost nearby Appeal.
5) Social Policy cards - some of the cards boost the output of the above mechanisms.

Note that certain districts, including the Industrial Zone and the Aerodrome, reduce tile Appeal nearby (so don't build that near your planned resort coasts)

Thank you. I now know I'll be playing T-Square's "Resort" album while carefully managing my national parks and beaches this weekend.