Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does Android listen to what you do because I was watched a football game yesterday and now Google is plastering football all over my phone. I was even looking at computer parts on my phone while watching and didn't search for anything football related. Watched on TV not in person. I'm not a sports person

Google Now has been throwing sports scores at me for the last month or so and I haven't recently watched, listened to, or openly acknowledged the existence of professional sports, so it may just be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, unlike modern games.
*Go to location B
*Get item
*Go back to location A
(Achievement Unlocked: Did a thing. 20 Gamer Points to you. You're a good boy!)

Condemning mobile games isn't somehow an affirmation of the quality of modern games. Linear corridor shooters are hilariously bad. Even Battlefield has lost its luster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7osXPv9dA8

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The only confusing thing is that I keep trying to press the decorative metal bar at the bottom of the device, which is not a button.

I do this on my 6P as well.

Does that speaker grille on the MXP have a rough sandpaper-ish texture? My old 2014 moto x did and I didn't care for it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

nimper posted:

Does that speaker grille on the MXP have a rough sandpaper-ish texture? My old 2014 moto x did and I didn't care for it.

No.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

KS posted:

Anyone read the official Note 7 ban order?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2016-25322.pdf

"Dangerous evolution of heat" is a pretty great term.

I flew Friday Morning before the ban went into effect (6am Flight EST). The attendants instructed to turn any Note 7s off. By the time we landed they were saying it was banned. Today in the airport an announcement said that they were banned, and if anyone had one on them they were already violating Federal Law since it was past the security screening.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Does Android listen to what you do because I was watched a football game yesterday and now Google is plastering football all over my phone. I was even looking at computer parts on my phone while watching and didn't search for anything football related. Watched on TV not in person. I'm not a sports person

I've heard rumors of the Facebook app listening but I don't know how true that is.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Completely true. Facebook and YouTube scrapes either the show notes or actual speech from PocketCasts, because both give me very specific ads either for, or radiated to, poo poo I am never interested in, but was mentioned on Bombcast/Idle Thumbs/538/etc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Completely true. Facebook and YouTube scrapes either the show notes or actual speech from PocketCasts, because both give me very specific ads either for, or radiated to, poo poo I am never interested in, but was mentioned on Bombcast/Idle Thumbs/538/etc.

Or maybe pocketcasts sells your data. :ssh:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's what I meant. I know they don't do it for free. I just don't care to do more than generalize right now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

New post

Before ordering a Pixel, I wanted to make sure I could handle the larger size compared to my Samsung S4 Mini. So I 3D Printed a "training phone"... (x-post from GooglePixel)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

It feels like just yesterday we were shoving cardboard cutouts into our skinny jeans pockets. We've come so far in such a short time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Your phone is so cute. :3:

Also, fitting your phone into the shell is pretty awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It feels like just yesterday we were shoving cardboard cutouts into our skinny jeans pockets. We've come so far in such a short time.

gently caress I forgot about that. That was a good post.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Stan Taylor posted:

What are those features? Google seems to be pushing the assistant thing but I played around with allo already and it was pretty lame. I feel like a tool if I ever have to talk to a computer.

They're the only phones available at the moment with the new partitioned storage which, while probably no big deal right now, could be an issue down the line. If you're going for a top of the line phone, might as well go for the most future proof ones.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've heard rumors of the Facebook app listening but I don't know how true that is.

http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2014/05/a-new-optional-way-to-share-and-discover-music-tv-and-movies/

i don't know if this even still works, i've literally never seen it and i can't imagine why anyone would want it.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

MeKeV posted:

Storage space chat: My only significant usage, besides just installed apps, is down to PocketCast (and probably other podcast apps) not supporting 1.5x speed when streaming, so every podcast I subscribe to is downloaded and not deleted until I listen to it. If I dont listen to any for a little while it turns in to multiple gigs worth. I've got about 12gb right now.

Google Photos and Spotify cover me otherwise.

Podcast Addict does

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://phandroid.com/2016/10/18/samsung-galaxy-note-7-airport-exchange/

Samsung is now working with the TSA to confiscate exchange Note 7s at airports.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For anyone who has a Pixel coming (or, really, any other USB-C device) Nathan K and Benson Leung have teamed forces to give an easy breakdown of what cables and chargers you should buy and which you shouldn't and why.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/1PJZT2g61Ag

The big thing they highlight in the document is which chargers should be considered dangerously out of spec and which chargers do 9v3a for Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel at max rate. They even have a few car chargers on the list. The top Belkin one that google sells is also available from Verizon for 25% off list.

What's interesting is they do actually give both Verizon chargers (car and wall) pretty high marks despite the fact that they are QC 3.0 compatible. The Verizon wall charger is notable in that it also does 12v@2a Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel C at max rate, making it a great travel charger if you happen to have that tablet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Will I be able to charge the Pixel using a USB A to USB C cord?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No, only USB-C to firewire 400.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yes but it'll charge slower than it would over a proper C-to-C unit.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Uthor posted:

Worked fine on my desktop, not in the Awful app. Android! :argh:

Works for me, make sure you have embedding turned on.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

For anyone who has a Pixel coming (or, really, any other USB-C device) Nathan K and Benson Leung have teamed forces to give an easy breakdown of what cables and chargers you should buy and which you shouldn't and why.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/1PJZT2g61Ag

The big thing they highlight in the document is which chargers should be considered dangerously out of spec and which chargers do 9v3a for Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel at max rate. They even have a few car chargers on the list. The top Belkin one that google sells is also available from Verizon for 25% off list.

What's interesting is they do actually give both Verizon chargers (car and wall) pretty high marks despite the fact that they are QC 3.0 compatible. The Verizon wall charger is notable in that it also does 12v@2a Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel C at max rate, making it a great travel charger if you happen to have that tablet.

Is it a myth that charging at max rate will shorten the overall battery life? As my Moto X 2014 gets to the end of its life, every time I QuickCharge it, I worry if I'm not The Reason for it dying at 22% straight up now.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Deathlove posted:

Is it a myth that charging at max rate will shorten the overall battery life? As my Moto X 2014 gets to the end of its life, every time I QuickCharge it, I worry if I'm not The Reason for it dying at 22% straight up now.

I had a first gen moto g I got in 2014 that didn't support quick charging and it started dying at 16% a few months back, so I don't think that's the reason

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I forgot to order the OnePlus 3 because the delivery date was 31st October and now it's changed to 14th November :negative:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tunga posted:

Yes but it'll charge slower than it would over a proper C-to-C unit.

That's fine. I just wanted to see if I had to buy a thirty dollar cord to charge it while I sleep or if I could just get a cheaper one and leave the C-to-C in my bag with the fast charger

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deathlove posted:

It only charges at max rate while the battery is near empty, so it really shouldn't do much to battery health. It backs off charge rate as the battery fills.

As far a A to C charging, it's fine provided you have a properly made cable and a well made charger. With a good USB A charger and good A to C cable, you should be able to charge at 5v/2.4a which is nearly as fast as standard USB C charging.

For C only changing, Pixel supports the Power Delivery spec so it can do higher than 15w (5v/3a), it can go 20% faster with 9v/2a. So, if you have an in spec PD adapter, it should be able to do 9v/3a, so the Pixel can draw max rate.

A lot of older PD adapters don't have the 9v option, they jump straight to 12v. So even though they have plenty of power, they will max the Pixel out at 15w rather than 18w.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Reviews for the Pixel are out at all the usual places. Nothing too surprising but no shows stoppers - the best Android phone if you're willing to pony up the cash.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Embargo is lifted and the Pixel reviews are live, pick your blog of choice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol Hangouts officially deprecated. Bow to your Allo masters

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

"Deprecated" is a strong word; it's just not the default messaging appenabled by default on the Pixel. This is good because Allo is cool and good and I wish more people would use it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

So if you want to use sms on the pixel do you have to go and download messenger or what because lol at the way allo handles them. Or does the phone just come with three separate messaging apps

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

What does "officially deprecated" mean? Are you referring to something other than Hangouts being disabled on the Pixel phones? Because that is absolutely not the same thing.

Blue Train posted:

So if you want to use sms on the pixel do you have to go and download messenger or what because lol at the way allo handles them. Or does the phone just come with three separate messaging apps
It comes with Messenger just like last year's phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

You know the answer to this.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Endless Mike posted:

You know the answer to this.

I'll just keep using messenger forever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

What does "officially deprecated" mean? Are you referring to something other than Hangouts being disabled on the Pixel phones? Because that is absolutely not the same thing.
They're not including it on their biggest, most important hardware release ever. If you can't see how that's a death knell, I don't know what to tell you.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

They're not including it on their biggest, most important hardware release ever. If you can't see how that's a death knell, I don't know what to tell you.

We already knew that Hangouts will (allegedly) be repurposed as a business collaboration tool.

We already had this discussion back when Allo was announced and then again when it was released. So naturally it's time to talk about it again, because Android thread

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Who does the best phone reviews nowadays?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Thermopyle posted:

Who does the best phone reviews nowadays?

I'm eager to hear this too. Most tech writing is so obnoxiously wanky, as someone who likes gadgets but doesn't like to call a new smart phone historic or revolutionary.

Whoever wrote the one for the verge seems to think you can only get a Pixel if you use Verizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I think Android Police came recommended around here the last time it came up, but someone else could probably confirm