Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 1 Part 2

Roper
HP: 112
STR: 24
INT: 15
VIT: 17
WIS: 15
AGI: 11
LUC: 16
Skills:
  • Entangle: Uses the arms. Attempts to bind one party member's legs, with a 70% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.
Drops:
  • Normal: Thorny Vine. 75% chance. Sells for 6 en.
    • 1 needed to make Shortbow (+19 ATK, +17 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 needed to make Thorned Bandage (+24 ATK, +16 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3).
Damage Resistances:
150% 100% 100%
150% 100% 100%
Disable Resistances:
100% 100% 150% 100% 100% 100% 100%
100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Ropers serve to be both a nuisance and to screw over early dodge-tank Fencers. They literally don't do anything besides attack and try to bind legs, though.

The dangerous part of this encounter is the Balloon Flying Squirrel in the front row, though.

Okay, hitting our Dragoon is the best possible outcome with these things.

Also, here's Animal Therapy in action.

Nothing much happened there.

("Obtained 1 Labyricanth!")

Our first food item. Labyricanth restore a small amount of HP when eaten.

As you tread a path through the roots, which are so colossal it seems their origin is far beyond vision, a cluster of said roots comes within reach. Do you recall the council's request? They requested a sample of the tree's roots. Given the opportunity, it seems appropriate to take a sample from this cluster. You hack away and carve for yourself a hunk of root, placing it in your bag to take home.

("Obtained Yggdrasil Root!")

One down.

("Obtained Nectar.")

Not gonna say no to one of these things.

I went back to town since there's a certain random encounter further up in 1F that can seriously screw me up, and I wanted a chance to save.

Hi, welcome, howdy! I've got deals today you won't want to miss...but wait a second! I'm pretty sure that you've been to the Labyrinth and back, am I wrong? Then, before we start exchanging ental, I should give you one of these!

("Obtained Bronze Ingot!")

Here at my store, I can forge up your weapons to increase your attack power! You can do it if'n you happen to have any Ingots, like this one, on you, so by all means, give it a try! And even if you don't have an Ingot, you can also susbtitute in the materials used to make the weapon. Sell the materials to me and I'll keep track of them- how convenient!- so don't worry about keeping track, just keep 'em coming!

Forging in EO5 is a neat replacement for the forging system in EO3/4, and I'll discuss it more later.

Thorned Bandage (+24 ATK, +16 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 2 Thorny Vines (Roper).

Shortbow (+19 ATK, +17 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Thorny Vine (Roper).

Ore Scythe (+23 ATK, +23 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Mossy Ore (1st Stratum Mine 1).

Fluffy Bolero (+9 DEF, +14 MDEF) is made from 3 Fluffy Furs (Balloon Flying Squirrel).

Soft Mocassin (+3 DEF, +8 MDEF) is made from 1 Fluffy Fur (Balloon Flying Squirrel).

Fire/Freeze/Shock Oil (Adds fire/ice/volt to one party member's normal attacks for 5 turns) is made from 1 Cracked Nut.

As tempting as it is to upgrade weapons right now, that's a big chunk of our funds.

As you proceed deep in the forest, you reach the end of a small path surrounded by thicket. It's a bit dark, but as you search the thicket you find a filthy sack that must have been dropped by an explorer. You may reach for it or simply ignore it.
Hey, why not?
You pick up the sack and find a 100 en coin inside.

("Obtained 100 en.")

As you thank your luck, you hear the thicket shake violently, so you grab your weapons! This seems to have been the correct choice, as you're attacked by unknown monsters!

Wagh! N-nice doggy! Pet-pet...
Pet it at your own risk.

Mad Dog
HP: 222
STR: 32
INT: 17
VIT: 22
WIS: 21
AGI: 18
LUC: 14
Skills:
  • Intimidate: Uses the head. Reduces one row's physical defense by 30% for 4 turns. Has an 80% speed modifier.
Drops:
  • Normal: Cone Fang. 100% chance. Sells for 14 en.
    • 2 needed to make Madfa (+20 ATK, +16 MATK, HP Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Cone Fang (Mad Dog) and 1 Chipped Mudstone (1st Stratum Mine 2) needed to make Kopis (+21 ATK, +19 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Cone Fang (Mad Dog) and 1 Pierced Fang (Ice Bat conditional) needed to make Ice Bat Fang (+26 ATK, +30 MATK, Cold Wave, Bronze x4).
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 100%
100% 150% 100%
Disable Resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 100% 150% 100%
100% 100%
100% 100% 100%

Mad Dogs are the Great Lynxes of EO5. If you don't have a Dragoon, this thing will 100% one-shot someone, partially because of Intimidate, but mostly because they just hit rally hard to begin with. Even with a Dragoon, make sure your party members are at full HP, or else bad things will happen.

Fencers can also dodge them, obviously, but it's still risky and nerve-wracking.

Maybe I should've put a point into Flicker, just to have a chance to stop Intimidate.

Eek!
Ready to give up on the edgy act yet?

Why me?!

loving OW.

(Received: 1 Cone Fang.)

Mad Dogs can be seriously bad news when combined with other enemies.

I decide to start building Gun Mount, so Sasha puts a point into Material Guard, which reduces fire, ice, and volt damage by 30% at level 1.

I'm building for One-Two anyway, so Cecil puts a third point into Arm Break, which bumps the damage to 168%.

Raven levels up Scythe of Numb Stasis to level 3, which unlocks Scythe of Exorcism--a skill identical to Scythe of Numb Stasis except for inflicting curse instead of paralysis.

Gram levels up Hawk Whistle to 3, which unlocks Hawk Arrow, which deals stab damage to one enemy with splash damage, and then has the hawk attack adjacent enemies, and Flash of Both Wings, which deals stab damage to one enemy and has the hawk attack the row that enemy was in.

Dosen levels up Refresh Herb to 3, which unlocks Resurrection Herb.

While proceeding through the overgrown Labyrinth, you stop as you notice that you've arrived at the point where the council wants to investigate the soil. As you look around, you see a beautiful array of colorful flowers and grasses, as well as signs that the soil has been dug up in several places. As far as you can tell, the soil varies by location, and some soil is easier to dig up than others. You'll need to bring back one of these soil samples for your investigation.

Our choices are:
  • Take the hard-looking soil
  • Dig up the soft-looking soil
  • Look around carefully

No sense taking the easy way out. Let's get that hard soil.
You take out a small shovel and stab it into the ground. ...Your collective exertion is truly a feat to behold, and your combined efforts eventually strike deep into the heart of the earth, rewarding you with soft soil. The council will certainly approve of your mighty success.

Whenever this sort of thing happens, you should probably assume that the other option would have led to a fight.

("Obtained Labyrinth Soil!")

With this, you've safely obtained both necessary samples. However, you still need to finish mapping the desginated area. You return to exploring.

There's just a bit of the upper area to map out, so I go do that.

("Obtained Soma.")

Somas restore 80 HP to the party. Useful for emergencies.

I finished mapping the rest of 1F off-screen, so let's turn the quest in.

It seems you've completed your task without incident. With that, you're full-fledged explorers. Please don't grow big-headed from just this, though. There are many dangers in the Labyrinth for which proper care must be exercised. Now, would you please hand in what we asked for?
Here.

("Handed over Labyrinth Soil and Yggdrasil Root.")

Thank you. And in turn, I'll give you this.

("Obtained 500 en.")

Mission EXP, as is customary since EO3, is worth a boatload.

Now that you're explorers, I can only assume you'll be staying in the city for the time being. Use that money to make the necessary arrangements, and I hope for your support in the future. Oh, that's right, one last thing. You'll be exploring Yggdrasil in the future, so if you make any discoveries in the process, could you report them to the Council? You won't go unrewarded, of course. You're under no obligation, though; we'd like your reports, but it's all up to you.
Hey, if it pays, why not?

This is what the Registry option is for--we can report the following things to Remus: completed floors, encountered monsters, and items. Monsters and items are automatically registered in the Monstrous Codex and Item Compendium--don't worry, we're not back to the DS EO method of making you check those at the government building--but reporting them to the Council means that Remus'll give us rewards at certain completion percentages. He also gives us a reward for every stratum's worth of maps we finish.

...I spoke longer than I expected to, but that'll be all.

...Well, I said every stratum's worth, but for completing 1F, we get four Yamato Copper Coins.

Here's what we get if we talk to Remus right now.

I've heard of a fish that lives in the labyrinth known as the Labyricanth. Apparently, experienced explorers tend to fish them up as a food source. Why not try it out for yourselves?
We've fished one up already. Don't think any of us want to eat raw fish, though!

Also, Remus has some words for us upon leaving.

Could you hold on for a moment? There's one last thing I forgot to mention. It seems there's something important for exploring that's sold in the market district. You should head to the market for the particulars. ...With that, stay safe.

I just decided to go down the town list in order to get everyone's dialogue. Genetta starts talking as soon as we enter the inn.

Oh my gosh! It's the new customers! I just heard that you cleared your first mission! I'm ridiculously excited, you don't even know how great this is! I guess this means that now you can start really taking on Yggdrasil? Please please pretty please keep staying here while you're exploring, pleaaaase?
W-well, there's not many other places around here...
Your inn's in a convenient location. I'm confident we'll be lodging here for our exploration.
I mean, I'm not lonely, or anything, I mean, I DO have other customers. You've seen them, right?
Can't say that I have.
Well, I guess that makes sense, you did just get here and all! And I mean they're all explorers like you, so I guess if you met anywhere, it'd be in the Labyrinth. Ohhhhh man, this is per-fect! You get to become besties with a bunch of other explorers while you're staying here! You HAVE to tell me some stories! All of the stories, even!

What follows is a tutorial on Guild Cards. Get them through StreetPass or by scanning QR Codes, same stuff as always.

...Okay, our Guild Card's slightly screwed up.

(I had to start the new game from an NG+, and loaded in one of my finished save files.)

I'm not posting the bottom half because it's spoilery.

Welcome back! Hehe, I already heard from the Council. Congrats on clearing that mission! So to cut to the chase, you've got permission to buy Ariadne Threads now. An Ariadne Thread lets you pop back to town from the Labyrinth at a moment's notice. Every adventure needs one or two of 'em. So you're heading back to the Labyrinth after this, right? Then buy one and test it out!

Ceric's not kidding here. Now that Floor Jump is gone, Ariadne Threads are really important again--always make sure you have one on you.

I buy one, and then talk to Ceric.

Gosh, that was fast! You're back already?
I dunno if I'd call that "fast."
Did you find anything that made you go "I've never seen that before?" If you did, could you sell them to me?

I also offload some drops.

Kopis (+21 ATK, +19 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Chipped Mudstone (1st Stratum Mine 2) and 1 Cone Fang (Mad Dog).

Madfa (+20 ATK, +16 MATK, HP Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 2 Cone Fangs (Mad Dog).

Acorn Vest (+10 DEF, +10 MDEF) is made from 5 Hard Acorns (Ghost Acorn).

Studded Glove (+5 DEF, +6 MDEF) is made from 1 Hard Acorn (Ghost Acorn) and 1 Chipped Mudstone (1st Stratum Mine 2).

I upgraded Cecil's armor to an Acorn Vest to demonstrate something: EO5 returns to the EO4 method of ALL item purchases consuming materials.

Also upgraded a bunch of weapons. A blue background on a weapon's icon means it can be forged.

Might as well demo forging while I'm here, too. You have two options for materials for forging: either one purchase's worth of materials, or an Ingot.

Ceric's out of materials for the Thorned Bandage, so I could upgrade it with a Bronze Ingot instead.

Bronze Ingots are worth one purchase's worth of materials.

Silver Ingots are worth three purchase's worth of materials.

Gold Ingots are worth five purchaes's worth (a full upgrade) of materials.

Upgrading the Thorned Bandage by one level would buff its ATK and MATK a little, as well as activating level 1 of VIT Up. The stat up passives work a little weirdly--they have 10 levels internally. Tier 1 stat ups (one arrow) go from levels 1 to 5, Tier 2 stat ups (two arrows) go from levels 3 to 7, and Tier 3 stat ups (three arrows) go from levels 6 to 10. What do those levels actually do? You'll see in the eventual Forging mechanics update.

This Guard immediately talks to us after exiting the shop.

So you're all with Nameless, right? I've got a message from the Guildmaster, Edgar. "I've got something to tell you now that you're official explorers. Come to the Guild." Well, that was it. He didn't tell me what this was about, so you'll have to ask him yourself at the Explorers Guild. Anyway, I've gotta get back to my patrol, so if you'll excuse me...

Well, that sounds important.

I went to the bar first, though, because I could not read the message and forgot about what's going on.

Oh my, did you finish the job already?
Yeah. See? This Ariadne Thread's proof.
Let me tell you how requests work, then. We take all kinds of requests here. Requests for materials from the Labyrinth, for example, or monster extermination, or the like. The difficulty varies widely depending on what's required for the job, so I won't be telling you about all of the requests. The further you get into the Labyrinth, though, the more- and harder- requests you'll be able to take. After completing them, you'll earn yourselves a reward. If you want to be a big star, it might be best for you to keep up with requests as you explore.

Quests quests quests. Omnipresent in the EO series since the very beginning. It's in your interest to do them, since not only do they give EXP and (sometimes) useful rewards, you'll need to do them for access to some postgame bosses, too!

Those two quests at the bottom are the DLC grinding quests, which I'm not taking yet.

#1: Request from a craftsman:

Oh, you took that request? *chuckle* I love kids who work hard. Now, let's get down to business and discuss the details. Listen carefully. This one's from a craftsman in town. They want you to mine Darkened Augite. Mining in this case means going to one of the mining spots in the Labyrinth and digging up minerals. If I recall correctly, there should be some on the 1st floor, so try checking there. Also, this will go much easier if you have someone who knows the Mining skill with you. Make sure you know it before heading out into the Labyrinth.

Mining, or Woodland Gathering Skills, either or.

#2: Acorn gathering:

So you want to take that request? *Chuckle* You really are hard workers. This request came from the neighborhood restaurant. They need three Hard Acorns, so they'd like it if you could pick some up from the Labyrinth. It seems like they're dropped by monsters called Ghost Acorns. They're not very strong, but be careful when you fight them. The Labyrinth is more dangerous than you might think, after all... By the way, it seems like the shells you're gathering are going to be used to decorate an acorn cake.

Easy enough.

#3: Adventure preparations:

This request is from the merchant Ceric. Ceric has a stall open on the street, the Brownie Child. I'm sure you've checked it out at least once, right? In any case, he wants some raw materials so he can make the equipment his shop sells. As for what materials he wants in particular, you'll have to go to his store and ask him directly. Okay then, do your best.

Again, easy enough.

And we move onto bar patrons!

Also, I'm going to have to preemptively apologize, but due to the nature of portraits in EO5, I can't give the bar patrons unique portraits--it'd be far too much work for how many there are. Sorry!

#1: Brownie with a basket of berries:

Brownie: Hello! Are you all explorers? I'm Dale, from a berry orchard a little ways out from Aeolis. I often come to town to sell the Labyrinth Berries I've harvested. I'd love it it you bought some to take with you in the Labyrinth. So if you ever want some, just give me a shout.

Talking to Dale again brings this up:

Dale: Hey, hello there! Today I've got Labyrinth Berries for sale.

I've heard Labyrinth Berries are quite nutritious. I don't see why not.
Dale: Pleasure doing business! Here're your Labyrinth Berries! I'm just glad to be helping out explorers!

("Obtained 4 Labyrinth Berries!")

Dale: Well, I'll be leaving now. I do have other markets to get to. May fortune let us meet again.

Dale shows up from time to time with some generic lines about selling berries. Berries are actually pretty good in the long run, and Dale is a major source of them, if you want to start stocking up early. Seriously, berries are great.

#2: Gentleman with a prosthetic leg:

Gentleman: Oh my...pardon my rudeness, but are you all new arrivals in the city? Explorers perhaps?
Good guess.
Conice: My name's Conice. Some call me a walking dictionary, but I'm just an old fool who managed to escape death. But however you choose to think of me, feel free to ask me anything. I'll answer to the best of my ability, no more and no less.

Conice is the tutorial guy. I have no need to talk to him further.

#3: Earthrun girl in charge of rations:

Girl: Hello, explorers. Have you been making sure to always carry an Ariadne Thread when exploring? It's important to be able to get home in emergencies. Without one, you just have to resign yourself to death. Well, that's what my brother told me anyway, after he forgot one and came home all beaten up.

#4: Chubby novice explorer:

Novice: Man, the Labyrinth is great. You can always fish up something to eat, and if you search carefully there's fruit and stuff too. If you carry around food that you've found, you can eat it to recover your stamina when you're tired. Saves money on food too. Two birds with one stone!

#5: Dark-skinned male Dragoon:

Dragoon: *scoff* Who're you supposed to be? Some first floor newbie who thinks the Labyrinth is all sunshine and rainbows?
For your information, we just cleared the first floor. We're not total newbies.
That...doesn't sound much better.
Dragoon: Those mutts they call Mad Dogs are the worst! After they use Intimidate, even a Dragoon like me can end up on death's door! You be careful if you ever run into one! If it intimidates, use Guard or some other skill that works.

Talking to Melina gives this:

So you're back from the Labyrinth? And how was your trip?
Aside from that drat dog nearly biting my head off, kinda fu--ahem, boring.
At first glance, it might seem like a peaceful, even hallowed ground; but really, in truth, its jaws are always wrapped around your throat, ready to snap in an instant. That's just the way of things. It hasn't been very long since the council lifted the ban on entry, but plenty of explorers have already gone missing. You be careful out there.

Oh, you're back, Nameless? Looks like you're a bunch of genuine explorers now. But remember: that's just step one. Lotsa big shots chicken out now and never get anywhere. Remember that. ...Ah, I'm missing the point. Since you're official now, you can Change Classes.
Oh? We're listening.
Classes are, basically, the skills passed down by the various races. Obviously, each race has classes that are inherited from their own race, that they're good at naturally. But here in Aeolis, the four races have an arrangement. To help conquer the Labyrinth, they're willing to teach their skills to the other races. So if it suits your fancy, you can be a Lunarian Cestus, or a Therian Reaper, or who knows what, no matter your race. That said, the skills each race has inherently can't be taught. Keep that in mind. ...I'm going on this ramble, but you'll learn better from doing. Just test whatever suits your taste.

What Edgar just said boils down to this: we can now change characters' classes. For anyone above level 5, this comes with a 5 level reduction cost. It's as simple as it sounds: you can change someone's class while keeping their portrait and race. There's...not really a lot of useful applications of this in practice, though. Basically every class is tuned to its race's specific stats. A Lunarian Cestus, to use one of Edgar's examples, would be godawful, since they'd have bad HP, bad VIT, and horrible STR.

There's one case where I think changing class is useful, and that's a Smoke-focused Herbalist. This is mostly because Brownies have loving awful LUC, meaning inflicting ailments is a pain in the rear end. Class changing an Earthrun (for maximum LUC) or Lunarian (for far more TP and WIS) into Herbalist is the way to go if you really want to make use of Smoke skills.

Here's Edgar's post-first mission dialogue.

You guys were Nameless, right? Well, looks like you can get started exploring Yggdrasil. Now, I'm not a nosy guy by nature, but I have advice for you. You should change up your party composition based on what you're doing. The more you do, the smoother you'll explore. Say, keeping your gathering folks separate from your fighting team. Specialize, is what I'm saying. Or don't. It's up to you. Just remember I said that if you run into a wall.

Keeping a separate gathering team is pointless in EO5 since the gathering skills only take 1 point to max out. Believe me, though, we'll be mixing up our party a LOT.

Also, I'd like to take this time to point out that your hawk and dog are technically part of your guild. You can't do much other than rename them, but it's still a neat touch.

Hm... A bird and a dog... What other game have I played that I could name these two after... Aha! I know! Battle Network 6! Remember? Cybeasts Falzar and Gregar! I'm sure those'll--

...Oh. Right. Summons are limited to four-character names.

Welp, I guess we're rolling with a dog named Greg now.

Going back into 1F allows me to take on a pseudo-quest from the guard.

Now accustomed to walking through the Labyrinth, you come across the same guard taking care of chickens that you met during your previous mission.
You're Nameless, right? Oh good, I'm glad you cleared the mission. It was kind of worrying me...
The guard shows you a smile as he waves, but his expression is clearly troubled.
Something bothering you?
As you ask him, the guard responds gravely.
Well, ah, you see...a few of my chickens went missing. They...probably went deeper in...to find food. I really wish I could go look for them, but my job is to sit right here and give advice to new explorers. I can't just leave whenever.
Huh. What a dilemma.
You may offer to search for the chickens on the anguished guard's behalf, or take your leave of the chicken affair.
Oh, fine, we'll look for your stupid chickens.
Don't think I've ever seen anyone with such a heated vendetta against fowl.
Try growing up on a farm.
I did, sonny.
When you say this, the guard's face turns to exultation, and he clasps your hand in gratitude.
I think there are 3 missing chickens! Oh, I really hope you can find them before any monsters find them. But...uh, they might be tough to catch without someone who's good at Animal Husbandry.

That's not just flavor text, we do need someone who knows Animal Husbandry as part of their race skills.

Having said this, the guard excitedly and profusely offers his thanks as you return to the Labyrinth to look for the chickens.

It was at this point that I realized the notification in town and this thing in the Guild Card menu meant that I'd received a Guild Card from StreetPass.

Specifically, from my modded 3DS, with...the same save file that I used NG+ to start this run on.

(ExtData encryption fuckery. Don't ask.)

Phew, what a mouthful of an update, huh? Next time: chickens. Also some quests. Maybe even a bit of 2F.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Speaking of class change, we need a submission for our Smoke-focused Herbalist! The same rules as initial submissions apply, but because they will be Lunarian (by decree of me), you are limited to Warlock, Necromancer, Lunarian generic, and DLC portraits.

Also, if you already had a character be accepted, you can't qualify for further character submissions! We wanna give other people a shot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Can we also vote on pet names now? That would make sense to me.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

Can we also vote on pet names now? That would make sense to me.

But I like Falz and Greg. :(

In all seriousness, yeah, vote on dog and bird names.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Hachikō for dog because Hachikō is best dog.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I actually remembered back in the Megathread you guys talked about races using other racial classes. Was wondering why that never came up in the initial character submissions. As for Dog/Bird names, keep the Battle Network references.

Also Cecil fighting a turtle :allears:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It's nice to see what the events in the game actually say since i was mostly just mashing through random options in them.
I planned to have a Lunarian smoke herbalist long before the game came out and made a generic Lunarian for that purpose at the beginning of the game, but then forgot about it or something by the time the 2nd names became available so I'm sort of stuck with a Brownie unless I want to do some serious power leveling.
Where do you name the dog and bird by the way? Since it doesn't look like it has a name yet?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

But I like Falz and Greg. :(

In all seriousness, yeah, vote on dog and bird names.

Clearly, the only option is Rocky and Bullwinkle, however Clarste does her kanji magic to fit those into six characters! (Well, to fit Bullwinkle into six characters.)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

vdate posted:

Clearly, the only option is Rocky and Bullwinkle, however Clarste does her kanji magic to fit those into six characters! (Well, to fit Bullwinkle into six characters.)

Blwnkl.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Keep it as Falz and Greg because working with a 4-character limit is even worse than a 6-character limit.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Greg and Falz are fine names for PETs.

Good for the team that they found a use for the copper coin, unlike a certain crayfish. Also, it's bugging me you aren't coloring in the water.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Level Seven posted:

Greg and Falz are fine names for PETs.

Good for the team that they found a use for the copper coin, unlike a certain crayfish. Also, it's bugging me you aren't coloring in the water.

If a non-door or non-stair tile can't be walked over, I don't color it in.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Speaking of class change, we need a submission for our Smoke-focused Herbalist! The same rules as initial submissions apply, but because they will be Lunarian (by decree of me), you are limited to Warlock, Necromancer, Lunarian generic, and DLC portraits.

Also, if you already had a character be accepted, you can't qualify for further character submissions! We wanna give other people a shot.

For our herbalist, why not go with something like this?

Name: Tyler
Portrait: Generic Lunarian Male
Eye: Default
Hair: Default
Voice: 7: Intellectual
Personality:
From an early age, Tyler was fascinated by stories of adventure. As he grew up, however, he set aside dreams of participating in them himself in favor of studying beings like those in the stories. This led him into the fields of anthropology and monster biology. Then to the categorization of other culture's sciences and fighting styles. Finally, he decided to take the plunge and travel to a Labyrinth city for hands-on knowledge, and signed up as a new member of a randomly selected guild.

In general, he has a friendly demeanor, if accidentally condescending from time to time. If others seem personable, he'll ask them to describe how they do what they do. On the other hand, while he accepts people who rely on instinct, he hates with a passion anyone who dismisses or insults logical reasoning and the collection of knowledge.

Oh, and Stick with Greg and Falz

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Greg and Falz are rather fine names, I feel there's no need to change them.

Anyway, I don't particularly have high hopes in Guild Nameless considering their mightiest foe was a turtle that could be just a regular turtle for all we know.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Might as well throw something in for the Herbalist

Name: Culan
Portrait: Warlock 1A
Eye: Dark Green
Hair: Black
Skin Colour: Light Green
Voice: 1, Hot Blooded
Personality: It was clear from a young age that Culan wasn't like most Lunarians. For one thing, saying that he hated magic would be an understatement. He never had the best magical affinity as a child and came to resent those who he felt flaunted their magical power, which for him basically meant anyone slightly competent with magic. Instead, he focused his studies on herbs and medicines, eventually dabbling into poisons. He became fascinated with the powers of plants and the poisons that were in them and quickly began creating concoctions in an attempt to prove that his "herbal masterpieces" were better than any magic in the world.

With time, he came to realise that he needed to look to wider expanses to prove the superiority of the herbal arts and left home, carrying with him all the herbs he thought he would need. His ambitions brought him to the labyrinth, where he hopes to concur the labrynth and once and for all demonstrate the power of herbs to the entire world! Oh, and if he finds some cool new herbs along the way, that would be totally cool as well.

Greg and Falz are amazing :D.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 18, 2016

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Oh man, adventure episodes are a super neat addition. The rest of the game looks fantastic too and I'm hype all over again.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Name: Baryl
Portrait: Warlock 1B
Eye: Preset, bottom left
Hair: Preset, bottom row, 4th from left.
Skin Colour: Bottom row, 5th from the left
Voice: 18, Excitable
Personality: Growing up as a child, Baryl found himself going through the motions of learning the power of the elements as most Lunarians do. However, he never really fit in with other Lunarians and wound up shutting himself off from the world, avoiding everyone and living out of his room. Left largely to his own devices, Baryl found purpose in hoarding the stories and trinkets of the Brownie race. He became obsessed with their culture, learning everything about it he could and finding himself wishing he could live in their homelands in the Great Plains, rather than the boring and backwards land of Sidonia. When he heard about the new exploration opportunity opening up he sold all his possessions and used the money to book a trip so that he could get to the Yggdrasil Labyrinth and finally be closer to his goal of moving to the Great Plains. He's very opinionated about the superiority of being at one with nature and of using its power to help you instead of trying to use magic to force your own will upon it, and if given a chance can talk for hours (and hours, and HOURS) about what he's heard of the Brownies and their culture and how it's so cool and amazing you guys*!! He took advantage of the knowledge exchange program to finally learn how to be a proper Herbalist so he can be just like them, and while he's inexperienced he's sure that he'll quickly learn to unlock the real power of the funny smelling smokes the Brownies specialize in.

*accuracy of his stories may vary.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Keep Greg and Falz, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Out of all the races, Lunarians get the worst of it when it comes to portraits. They either lack impact, or they're eyeroll-inducing. Y'all couldn't even make one female necromancer who wasn't laviciously licking their lips, or running around half-naked? And I say this as someone who frequently defends the the variety of portraits Etrian games offer. So if we're going to make a Lunarian Smoke Herbalist, I think there's only one choice...

Name: Magda
Portrait: DLC Medic 2
Voice: 27 (Meek)
Hair: White
Eyes: Red
Personality: Born to a Lunarian clan who took astrology extremely seriously, Magda has an elaborate depiction of her star sign, the Dinogator (may he frolic forever in our hearts) tattooed on her back. To be born under such a sign marks one as an exceptionally dangerous warrior, a destiny the typically meek and unassuming Lunarian girl thoroughly failed to live up to until she bought a second-hand Smoke Herbalist starter kit from a passring Brownie caravan. Magda's ancestral homestead is currently the thaumaturgical equivalent of a Superfund site, an incident she hotly denys was her fault, blaming it instead on 'that gormless bint, who couldn't tell the difference between (unpronouncable compound) and (equally unpronounceable compound, but with a silent 'W').'

Whatever the case, her family made it clear she should pursue her destiny... elsewhere. Anywhere, really, so long as it was very far away. And so she came to Arcadia. Truthfully, she'd much rather BE a Medic--hence the outfit, purchased secondhand from the same caravan. Unfortunately the closest she's come so far is a poison so toxic it caused her patient to vomit out the tumors afflicting them. But if she has the chance to practice her craft under real-world conditions as part of the Nameless guild (who haven't been around long enough to know of her reputation), surely her wish to become a great healer will be within reach, right? RIGHT?! Dinogator, spiritual patron of great destroyers, smiles knowingly.

(TBH, I'm not sure my color choices would look in practice since the character builder wouldn't load the DLC portraits for some reason. If they're too eye searing, feel free to adjust them in the event my character gets picked. Greg & Falz seem like fine names in any case, though I think I'm missing the reference.)

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 18, 2016

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The reference is Megaman Battle Network 6, where the focus of the game's plot is on two Cybeasts--digital programs that just kind of ruin everything--that take the forms of a giant bird (falcon?) and a giant wolf--Falzar and Gregar, respectively.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Where do you name the dog and bird by the way? Since it doesn't look like it has a name yet?

You name them from the Guild management menu, the same place where you rest and retire people. For pets, it's the only option available. For the record, you can also rename anyone in the guild at any time (or change their portraits/voices).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 18, 2016

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Do you also get to rename whatever the necromancer summons, or is it just the bird and the dog?

Oh right, Greg and Falz are great names, keep 'em.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Joke suggestion: name the dog Bird and the bird Dog. Greg and Falz seem good enough, really, especially with only four characters to work with.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Stick with Greg and Falz.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Well, it's a good thing they did what I hoped they would do with the races (let the classes overlap), though it is a shame that everyone still only really benefits from their own sphere of classes.

Also, Greg and Falz are fine names. It also means you don't have to go back and retroactively change it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dark Flame Master posted:

Do you also get to rename whatever the necromancer summons, or is it just the bird and the dog?

No, because each of them is unique and then dies forever when you sacrifice it. They're listed as Ghost A, Ghost B, etc.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 18, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well you could still take polls on each ghost's tragic and completely irrelevant and unremarked upon backstory. :v:

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 19, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you could have an Earthrun in a Therian class (or vice-versa) and I'd work out fine.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It'd be okay, but not really ideal. The Earthrun classes either focus on disables and want high LUC (Cestus and Reaper) or are tanks and want high VIT (Dragoon and Fencer). Therians have the 2nd lowest in both of those stats. Likewise, the Therian classes generally want more STR or AGI and not much else, so being an Earthrun wouldn't improve them at all. I guess a purely damage focused Therian Fencer or Dragoon might work though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Does AGI influence action speed or the chance to dodge in strategically significant way? If so, seems like they might make decent dodge tank Fencers.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 19, 2016

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Rangpur posted:

Well you could still take polls on each ghost's tragic and completely irrelevant backstory. :v:

Just a note: imagine all this with the approximate emotional tone of Telenovela.

The ruined heiress Alicia Rosette was deeply in love with Barnaby, the "gentleman" thief, and abandoned her family and legacy to be with him, but Barnaby only wanted to use Alicia for her family's inheritance and -- once it became clear that she was no longer the favored candidate for family head -- abandoned her for greener pastures and more fortunate ventures. Twisted with rage, Alicia contacted the sage Charlotte to learn the art of necromancy and obtain her revenge on Barnaby. The sage complied, but conditional on Alicia binding Barnaby's ghost to the bones of his hands and feet, and bringing them to her -- for a ghost made with such a grudge would become a powerful resource. Alicia agreed, and abandoned her family name and all but one letter of her first to the darkness, receiving further mastery of the necromantic arts; from then on, she was only known by her shadow name, "A."

"A" hunted down her former lover; flush with wealth and drunk on his success in infiltrating the (then closed-off) Yggdrasil Labyrinth for rare, illegal medicinal herbs, Barnaby was known as the mysterious thief Monsieur "B" to the people of Aeolis. In the process of fighting his way through the Labyrinth, in order to combat the monsters, Monsieur "B" embedded vials of poison into the bones of his hands and wrists, allowing him to kill with a mere touch. Confronted by "A," Monsieur "B" was chased, dismembered and killed by "A"'s phantasmal army, but -- in the last moments of his life -- managed to flick his embedded syringe out from his finger. Taking it in her triumph, to bind his ghost, "A" pricked herself, and received a slow, incurable dose of a rare and lethal Brownie poison.

Knowing her time was short, "A" took the bones of "B" to the sage Charlotte to fulfill her deal, in the hopes of receiving aid in waging war on the family that had rejected her. On arrival, however, her bound ghosts heard that Charlotte was a servant of her family, deployed in secret to ensure "B"'s death and trick "A" into returning gratefully to the Rosette family. Filled with rage and drunk on the death in her veins, "A" set her ghosts on Charlotte, detonating them, down to the essentia level, all at once, inside the sage's meager hut. As they both lay dying, "A" took her revenge on "B" and Charlotte: she ripped away Charlotte's name, to eternally prove her power over life of death, and bound all three of them together. Locked together, "A," B" and "C," necromantically entangled, forgetting themselves and their lives, remained in the ramshackle remains of the sage's hut for thousands of years, all bound to their bony fingers -- locked together forever.

Then a popular dancer found the pared-down bone bits, mistook them for dancer's bangles and hooked them to his waist. He was not entirely thrilled to learn that there were ghosts living inside them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Does AGI influence action speed or the chance to dodge in strategically significant way? If so, seems like they might make decent dodge tank Fencers.

We don't know the dodge formula, but traditionally LUC has been just as important, so it'd be a wash. AGI does affect action speed, but I'm not sure why that'd matter for a Fencer, dodge tank or otherwise. All the skills that need to go first in a turn get speed modifiers.

And, well, even if you're a dodge fencer you're gonna get hit sometimes.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
In EO3 and EO4, LUC was actually doubly as important as AGI for dodging.

Poltergrift posted:

Just a note: imagine all this with the approximate emotional tone of Telenovela.

The ruined heiress Alicia Rosette was deeply in love with Barnaby, the "gentleman" thief, and abandoned her family and legacy to be with him, but Barnaby only wanted to use Alicia for her family's inheritance and -- once it became clear that she was no longer the favored candidate for family head -- abandoned her for greener pastures and more fortunate ventures. Twisted with rage, Alicia contacted the sage Charlotte to learn the art of necromancy and obtain her revenge on Barnaby. The sage complied, but conditional on Alicia binding Barnaby's ghost to the bones of his hands and feet, and bringing them to her -- for a ghost made with such a grudge would become a powerful resource. Alicia agreed, and abandoned her family name and all but one letter of her first to the darkness, receiving further mastery of the necromantic arts; from then on, she was only known by her shadow name, "A."

"A" hunted down her former lover; flush with wealth and drunk on his success in infiltrating the (then closed-off) Yggdrasil Labyrinth for rare, illegal medicinal herbs, Barnaby was known as the mysterious thief Monsieur "B" to the people of Aeolis. In the process of fighting his way through the Labyrinth, in order to combat the monsters, Monsieur "B" embedded vials of poison into the bones of his hands and wrists, allowing him to kill with a mere touch. Confronted by "A," Monsieur "B" was chased, dismembered and killed by "A"'s phantasmal army, but -- in the last moments of his life -- managed to flick his embedded syringe out from his finger. Taking it in her triumph, to bind his ghost, "A" pricked herself, and received a slow, incurable dose of a rare and lethal Brownie poison.

Knowing her time was short, "A" took the bones of "B" to the sage Charlotte to fulfill her deal, in the hopes of receiving aid in waging war on the family that had rejected her. On arrival, however, her bound ghosts heard that Charlotte was a servant of her family, deployed in secret to ensure "B"'s death and trick "A" into returning gratefully to the Rosette family. Filled with rage and drunk on the death in her veins, "A" set her ghosts on Charlotte, detonating them, down to the essentia level, all at once, inside the sage's meager hut. As they both lay dying, "A" took her revenge on "B" and Charlotte: she ripped away Charlotte's name, to eternally prove her power over life of death, and bound all three of them together. Locked together, "A," B" and "C," necromantically entangled, forgetting themselves and their lives, remained in the ramshackle remains of the sage's hut for thousands of years, all bound to their bony fingers -- locked together forever.

Then a popular dancer found the pared-down bone bits, mistook them for dancer's bangles and hooked them to his waist. He was not entirely thrilled to learn that there were ghosts living inside them.

Also I wasn't even really planning on giving the ghosts personalities but you single-handedly convinced me, congratulations

Rangpur posted:

Name: Magda
Portrait: DLC Medic 2
Voice: 27 (Meek)
Hair: White
Eyes: Red
Personality: Born to a Lunarian clan who took astrology extremely seriously, Magda has an elaborate depiction of her star sign, the Dinogator (may he frolic forever in our hearts) tattooed on her back. To be born under such a sign marks one as an exceptionally dangerous warrior, a destiny the typically meek and unassuming Lunarian girl thoroughly failed to live up to until she bought a second-hand Smoke Herbalist starter kit from a passring Brownie caravan. Magda's ancestral homestead is currently the thaumaturgical equivalent of a Superfund site, an incident she hotly denys was her fault, blaming it instead on 'that gormless bint, who couldn't tell the difference between (unpronouncable compound) and (equally unpronounceable compound, but with a silent 'W').'

Whatever the case, her family made it clear she should pursue her destiny... elsewhere. Anywhere, really, so long as it was very far away. And so she came to Arcadia. Truthfully, she'd much rather BE a Medic--hence the outfit, purchased secondhand from the same caravan. Unfortunately the closest she's come so far is a poison so toxic it caused her patient to vomit out the tumors afflicting them. But if she has the chance to practice her craft under real-world conditions as part of the Nameless guild (who haven't been around long enough to know of her reputation), surely her wish to become a great healer will be within reach, right? RIGHT?! Dinogator, spiritual patron of great destroyers, smiles knowingly.

(TBH, I'm not sure my color choices would look in practice since the character builder wouldn't load the DLC portraits for some reason. If they're too eye searing, feel free to adjust them in the event my character gets picked. Greg & Falz seem like fine names in any case, though I think I'm missing the reference.)

Also also this is who we'll be going with for Smoke Herbalist. I'll get the initial portraits ready in a bit

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

We don't know the dodge formula, but traditionally LUC has been just as important, so it'd be a wash. AGI does affect action speed, but I'm not sure why that'd matter for a Fencer, dodge tank or otherwise. All the skills that need to go first in a turn get speed modifiers.

And, well, even if you're a dodge fencer you're gonna get hit sometimes.
Fair enough, I just can't help looking for an excuse to use gimmick builds even if they're horribly inefficient. A decade's worth of Pokemon teams will testify to this.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So, can you import your save from EO4 to get a bonus in 5 or did they not follow through on that?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Double Plus Undead posted:

So, can you import your save from EO4 to get a bonus in 5 or did they not follow through on that?

Nope. I don't think anyone knows what's in the extra data EO4 lets you write to the SD card, either.

Anyway here's Magda.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh snap, I didn't see I got picked. I'm on Steam as 'citizenbacillus' if you need to message me about anything.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Nope. I don't think anyone knows what's in the extra data EO4 lets you write to the SD card, either.

If the Untold extra data and how it was used in EO2U was any indication, your party data on the guild card is stored there. No idea if anything else would be contained.

But I doubt we'll ever find out without someone looking through the code or something.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

The weapon upgrade mechanic, from what I've gathered, strikes me as kinda strange and redundant, but I guess that's a topic for later after you've delved into the mechanics more.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

If a non-door or non-stair tile can't be walked over, I don't color it in.

:chloe:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
Go for Greg and Falz. Mostly for the image of a group of fantasy warriors tramping around a supermassive fantasy tree with a pair of cybernetic animals.

• Locked thread