Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheManWithNoName posted:

I am seeing conflicting information on the iPhone 7 trade in deal. Do you have to change your plan to T-Mobile ONE? I really would rather not do that.

You have to do so now. Apparently it wasn't the case for the first week of the promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TheManWithNoName posted:

I am seeing conflicting information on the iPhone 7 trade in deal. Do you have to change your plan to T-Mobile ONE? I really would rather not do that.

Yes

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TheManWithNoName posted:

If you signed up after like 6pm PST sept 16 you do.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
My wife's new iPhone 7 plus apparently won't activate on the network. Any calls go straight to T-Mobile customer service. The hold time is now estimated at "more than 3 hours." Lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Ever since moving to iOS10 I'm experiencing a lot of dropped calls, seemingly with other T mobile customers. Am I alone in that? I suspected wifi calling but turned that off. Tried setting LTE to data only but my phone gets stuck on 4G anyway.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

My wife's new iPhone 7 plus apparently won't activate on the network. Any calls go straight to T-Mobile customer service. The hold time is now estimated at "more than 3 hours." Lol

Are you using the sim card that came on the phone or the one in your previous phone?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Came with the phone.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

TheBuilder posted:

Came with the phone.

Assuming you are already T-Mobile customers put the sim card from the previous phone into the new phone.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
The old one reads no sim. Weird as poo poo, she got the phone when I was at work. I assume she just fired up the new phone and it deactivated the old one ?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The sim being activated or not has nothing to do with the old phone seeing a sim.

The sim with the phone is unactivated. Take the sim out of the old phone and put it in the new phone.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah it's reading no sim in the new phone with the old card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Maybe you broke the sim? Call tmobile and have thema ctivate the new sim

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TraderStav posted:

Ever since moving to iOS10 I'm experiencing a lot of dropped calls, seemingly with other T mobile customers. Am I alone in that? I suspected wifi calling but turned that off. Tried setting LTE to data only but my phone gets stuck on 4G anyway.

Didn't TMobile say not to update older phones to iOS 10 because it doesn't work right with the network?

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/ios-10-is-messing-up-some-t-mobile-iphones-and-people-a-1786694896/amp?client=ms-android-google

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 22, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Uthor posted:

Didn't TMobile say not to update older phones to iOS 10 because it doesn't work right with the network?

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/ios-10-is-messing-up-some-t-mobile-iphones-and-people-a-1786694896/amp?client=ms-android-google

They pushed a carrier update the next day that fixed that issue.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Network down?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Uthor posted:

I have a 6S which I believe wasn't affected. Also they released that minutes after I hit the update button!

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
Crosspost from the iPhone thread:

I stupidly got my iPhone 5S wet and now the screen doesn't work at all. I want to buy a new phone (currently eyeing the iPhone SE), but the only problem is I'm overseas for a few months, and they only sell the A1723 model here. I currently have AT&T and it doesn't seem like that model supports all of AT&T's bands, but according to this page http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se it seems it does for T-Mobile (even though T-Mobile is listed under the A1662 model). I don't know too much about phones, but can someone tell me if I'm correct or not? I don't want to buy a phone here and then just have it work like poo poo in the US.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Unfucking believable how incompetent tmobile has become. So they randomly added a $45/mo data plan to a phone that already had data. I called, had it removed, they said they would credit me. I check and not only did they not credit me, they removed ALL data and wifi calling from that line and charged me an additional $39 on top of everything. I don't even know what the $39 is for, it doesn't say. I would assume it's data usage but it says 0 data usage. Also I can't find a way to add wifi calling back to that account. I remember dreading tmobile being sold to att but in retrospect it would have been a good thing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah they are more carrier now then ever. Tried to get a promo phone price on a crappy phone and they said nope this is only for new plans. I said it doesn't say that anywhere in the promotion. Goodbye I will buy a prepaid phone on clearance for $9 and sell the minutes for $10.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

wormil posted:

Unfucking believable how incompetent tmobile has become. So they randomly added a $45/mo data plan to a phone that already had data. I called, had it removed, they said they would credit me. I check and not only did they not credit me, they removed ALL data and wifi calling from that line and charged me an additional $39 on top of everything. I don't even know what the $39 is for, it doesn't say. I would assume it's data usage but it says 0 data usage. Also I can't find a way to add wifi calling back to that account. I remember dreading tmobile being sold to att but in retrospect it would have been a good thing.

Inspect Your Gadgets › The T-Mobile/MetroPCS Megathread - Our CEO trolls your CEO, then us

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Oh man I returned the Note 7 for the recall for an Edge and now my bill has an extra $700 charge because the store both put me on in the installment plan and charged me the full amount. Online chat says they can't remove the charge and I should return the phone to the store. Waiting on phone support now because going back to the store (which was corporate and not a re-seller even) that took 2+ hours to swap my Note for an Edge and couldn't do the transaction right the first time isn't a good answer.

I've been on each of the major phone carriers and why is phone store stuff always worse than even buying a car?

Edit: turns out I was actually charged for the Note as they never received it. I have a receipt for returning it to the store but I guess they didn't move it on from there. They said instituted a "handset research" but they didn't know what would happen if they still can't find it. It isn't like I go dig around in back of the store so hopefully they believe I didn't keep an explode-y phone either way.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 23, 2016

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Oh man I returned the Note 7 for the recall for an Edge and now my bill has an extra $700 charge because the store both put me on in the installment plan and charged me the full amount. Online chat says they can't remove the charge and I should return the phone to the store. Waiting on phone support now because going back to the store (which was corporate and not a re-seller even) that took 2+ hours to swap my Note for an Edge and couldn't do the transaction right the first time isn't a good answer.

Sounds like what they pulled on me. Traded in a phone and kept paying on it for a couple months until I finally looked at my bill and figured it was high. They apparently "lost my phone" on the way to the trade in warehouse and then found it at the warehouse. How the gently caress does that even happen?

"We are very sorry, we are very sorry....would you like to trade in for the new iPhone 7?"

:ughh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I did the trade in my 6S for an iPhone 7 thing and now they just sent me an email saying it was received and that'll they'll credit me $265 dollars. Do I get that in addition to them crediting me each month as part of the promotion?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I did the trade in my 6S for an iPhone 7 thing and now they just sent me an email saying it was received and that'll they'll credit me $265 dollars. Do I get that in addition to them crediting me each month as part of the promotion?

Yes that is what is supposed to happen

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah they are more carrier now then ever.

Oof. Please don't parrot their marketing poo poo in casual conversation, even if it is to complain about them. Their customer service has always been poo poo. Most people use them because the coverage is Good Enough and their pricing is extremely competitive. Which is another reason why this new One plan poo poo is so confusing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
No, their tech support was always poo poo but customer service was good until a couple years ago.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FlyingCheese posted:

Man I sure am glad I jumped on the 2 lines unlimited everything +7GB of tether for $100 promo. I'm not letting this thing go ever. No BingeON, no worries about data caps and great service where I live. They won't try to bump me from the plan if/when I get a new phone, will they?

With all the plan fuckery, I had to make sure I was still on this promo.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I wonder if the nerd plan isn't going to be in danger eventually. I haven't gone shopping for a mobile plan in like three years, I have no idea what's out there that would cover my monthly average of 15 minutes of talk/tons of text and data at a similar price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

No, their tech support was always poo poo but customer service was good until a couple years ago.

This is correct. They used to have golden customer service. Probably went downhill when they closed and consolidated a bunch of call centers, which was around 2013-2014 ish.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Meldonox posted:

I wonder if the nerd plan isn't going to be in danger eventually. I haven't gone shopping for a mobile plan in like three years, I have no idea what's out there that would cover my monthly average of 15 minutes of talk/tons of text and data at a similar price.

I'm in the same (though less extreme on minutes) boat. AT&T-network Cricket and Verizon-network Total both have $35/Mo plans, where text+talk are limitless and data is either throttled (Cricket after 2.5gb) or comparably capped (Total after 5gb).

$5 extra per month for better coverage isn't a bad deal, really. I'll stick with T-Mobile until they kill the dork plan, but those are my BYOD fallbacks if it happens anytime soon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The nerd plan is just such a good deal because I use Google voice through hangouts That amounts to 5000 minutes, if I do all the talking on the mobile network (since hangouts uses about a meg a minute for a voice call)

Honestly i don't think I've ever hit my data cap on it. It's just perfect.

I'd like to go to project Fi but the data prices would need to be like 5x cheaper than they are there to make sense. Especially when I don't get unlimited music on other providers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Free iphone 7 deal completed. Got a text today ill be receiving $20.21 a month credit for 24 months + my $165 trade in value that was already applied to my account.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
can someone help me understand if this is right?

I have an LG g4 - this is the 4th one I've had where they are bootlooping and simply not even making it to the loading screen. Apparently on this last one I'm told that the water damage indicator thing is no longer on the phone - probably the last one never had it but I had never thought to check - and yet it looks like insurance claim is $175? Is that for real? LG wont' cover poo poo for their own phone's known bootloop issues?

I'm beginning to question if I should even bother vs just buying a Oneplus 3.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

notwithoutmyanus posted:

can someone help me understand if this is right?

I have an LG g4 - this is the 4th one I've had where they are bootlooping and simply not even making it to the loading screen. Apparently on this last one I'm told that the water damage indicator thing is no longer on the phone - probably the last one never had it but I had never thought to check - and yet it looks like insurance claim is $175? Is that for real? LG wont' cover poo poo for their own phone's known bootloop issues?

I'm beginning to question if I should even bother vs just buying a Oneplus 3.

You've gone through four broken phones and you're just now considering a different option? Huh.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Well, my phone was replaced once - and my wife's once (both LG). So 4 LG's total, but I didn't expect this poo poo to be this bad. Anyway, I guess LG honors it so tmobile not doing anything is basically irrelevant. I must have gotten a super shady tmo store.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 7, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm getting thanked out of the blue with a UPS tracking email. It's not the free T-shirt because that already arrived. Was there some other T-Mobile Tuesday gift I forgot or something?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think John has been making GBS threads in boxes and sending it to people who don't want to switch the the One plan.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

isndl posted:

I'm getting thanked out of the blue with a UPS tracking email. It's not the free T-shirt because that already arrived. Was there some other T-Mobile Tuesday gift I forgot or something?

You won a lifetime supply of Frostys

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
How awesome would it be if tmobile updated their website, especially the phone store. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been changed significantly in at least 8 years. It still has bar, smartphone, and touchscreen as the main options. Music and email are still searchable options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Recently switched to TMobile for the Unlimited One plan. Just saw this today: http://www.businessinsider.com/t-mobile-fcc-reach-48-million-settlement-unlimited-data-plans-2016-10

quote:

Here's your regular reminder that there is no such thing as an unlimited data plan anymore. Even if carriers promise not to charge you more for going over a data limit, they can and will slow your data speeds down to a crawl until the next billing cycle.

How bothered should I be with this? Do I have to be using an insane amount of data for my connection to slow to a crawl?