Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I unexpectedly saw this yesterday at what was probably the only showing in the state. Theater was packed.

Everything up to the conclusion of the Stage 4 attack was better than I expected. I wasn't prepared for it being as funny as it was.

However I felt the movie lost a ton of steam after that. The next segment dragged on too long and the final "battle" was a bit perfunctory. There didn't seem to be a lot of tension during that sequence, just "hey we're doing our plan now, it's working, OK we won."

Silliest thing IMO was the back lasers. Shooting out a laser beam - fine, tail shoots lasers too - OK I guess, BACK LASER GRID OF DOOM - really?

One question I had from the epilogue: they mention something about the Godzilla particle having a really short half-life so it would be gone in two years. Was that just the radiation or is it for the big guy himself? Will he melt away or are they stuck with a giant frozen Godzilla statue forever?

I'm pretty excited for further movies with some of the other monsters reimagined a similar way. Here's hoping for an insane King Ghidorah in the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

david_a posted:

Silliest thing IMO was the back lasers. Shooting out a laser beam - fine, tail shoots lasers too - OK I guess, BACK LASER GRID OF DOOM - really?

I'm seeing this complaint a lot. I don't get how back lasers are somehow sillier than atomic breath, or, you know, nuclear-powered giant monsters. We reached silly a long, long time ago.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

david_a posted:

Godzilla can do some pretty strange things.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dammerung posted:

Godzilla can do some pretty strange things.

This owns, though. Also when he uses his atomic breath to fly after hedorah

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This owns, though. Also when he uses his atomic breath to fly after hedorah

Here.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I've been a lifelong fan of the Toho Godzilla movies with the first one being my favorite, so I have no idea how I managed to miss any news of this one until yesterday. There seems to be no word on an european release which makes me worried, since I feel like I need this movie in my life right now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The back lasers are basically just an updated version of that full-body beam attack he did sometimes in the Heisei moves.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God it's even better than I remembered. That music :allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The back lasers are basically just an updated version of that full-body beam attack he did sometimes in the Heisei moves.
I think I've only seen two of those and I don't remember that.

Back Lasers just seem sillier than the rest of it. At that point why does he even move when he's attacking anything? Just blast lasers everywhere since apparently that's a thing now.

Lasers coming out of his eyes, lasers coming out of his... wherever. In my opinion, it was off base.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

david_a posted:

At that point why does he even move when he's attacking anything?

Because if he uses his beam weapons too much he needs to shut down for a while and that's a pain in the rear end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

I think I've only seen two of those and I don't remember that.

Back Lasers just seem sillier than the rest of it. At that point why does he even move when he's attacking anything? Just blast lasers everywhere since apparently that's a thing now.

Lasers coming out of his eyes, lasers coming out of his... wherever. In my opinion, it was off base.

The deal with Shin Godzilla is he's an organism that instantly adapts to face danger, so, danger from above? Back lasers.

It's actually kind of a neat take on the premise. Radiation promotes mutation, so Godzilla is a creature that continues mutating to survive in its environment.

I'm interested in seeing what Toho does next. This made a poo poo ton of money so there obviously will be a sequel but will they try to make a direct one or will it be like the Millennium series? Will Godzilla's design become more traditional to facilitate monster fights, or will they find a new way to stage them, etc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They're already going in the direction of an animated feature, so in-between that and Godzilla possibly sprouting deformed mutant-people-monsters as his next evolution, it's anyone's guess.

It's also going to be really interesting to watch the parallel between these and Legendary's films.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

Will Godzilla's design become more traditional to facilitate monster fights, or will they find a new way to stage them, etc.

drat, imagine kaiju like Gigan or Megalon with Shin Goji's evolutionary phases.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm going to be super mad if any future Kaiju movie has Gigan or Magalon without the other. Those two are best buds and I would follow their wacky kaiju adventures any day.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 18, 2016

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I want to see Shin Mothra

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

I want to see Shin Mothra

gently caress yeah. Also Shin Rodan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

david_a posted:

One question I had from the epilogue: they mention something about the Godzilla particle having a really short half-life so it would be gone in two years. Was that just the radiation or is it for the big guy himself? Will he melt away or are they stuck with a giant frozen Godzilla statue forever?

I think that was just the radiation from Godzilla. Compare it to the Fukushima Daiichi disaster a few years ago, where residents of Fukushima are still not able (or, at least, aren't advised) to return to their homes.

Godzilla itself doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Maxwell Lord posted:

The deal with Shin Godzilla is he's an organism that instantly adapts to face danger, so, danger from above? Back lasers.

It's actually kind of a neat take on the premise. Radiation promotes mutation, so Godzilla is a creature that continues mutating to survive in its environment.
That's actually a more satisfying way to think of it - it's a super goofy specific power he developed for a very specific threat. It fits in with the mini-monsters on the tail too. Those pesky humans seem to be able to incapacitate a single large organism, so try breaking up into a swarm of smaller critters instead. Did he have the tail laser in the first fight or was it only the last one?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

david_a posted:

That's actually a more satisfying way to think of it - it's a super goofy specific power he developed for a very specific threat. It fits in with the mini-monsters on the tail too. Those pesky humans seem to be able to incapacitate a single large organism, so try breaking up into a swarm of smaller critters instead. Did he have the tail laser in the first fight or was it only the last one?

Only the last one.

During the final shot of the tail, you see that the tip of the tail has become a tiny (comparatively) Godzilla head.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

gently caress yeah. Also Shin Rodan.

Shin Ghidorah, the Three Headed Shin Monster

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm seeing this complaint a lot. I don't get how back lasers are somehow sillier than atomic breath, or, you know, nuclear-powered giant monsters. We reached silly a long, long time ago.

Well, there's a long history in mythology and folklore of fire-breathing monsters. We're conditioned to it. The other thing... not so much. I can see why people react to it.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
A cool thing: http://imgur.com/a/fPddB

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The paper crane at the bottom is a super dope touch.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raxivace posted:

The paper crane at the bottom is a super dope touch.

I'm a fan of the people on the tip of the tail reaching toward heaven.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm a fan of the people on the tip of the tail reaching toward heaven.
gently caress I hadn't even noticed that. That is also really good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Spatulater bro! posted:

Shin Ghidorah, the Three Headed Shin Monster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfDmwi6aYM

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I really liked the movie but I kinda wish the filmmakers had the balls to never show Godzilla and instead have the entire film set in conference rooms. That would have been amazing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

zenintrude posted:

I really liked the movie but I kinda wish the filmmakers had the balls to never show Godzilla and instead have the entire film set in conference rooms. That would have been amazing.

I'd leave in the scenes where 1) the politicians are watching Godzilla through the TV, and 2) when the politicians are observing Godzilla directly.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

gently caress yes King Geedorah.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

:frogsiren:

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovies/status/788532655457439744

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

loving awesome.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope it makes all of the money.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm really glad it's doing so well. This was my first time getting to see a Japanese Godzilla movie on the big screen. Even though show times were weird (11 AM and 12 PM on a Sunday), it sold out both showings.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A showing in the theater right by me just opened up for 12:40 on saturday so I guess I know what I'm doing then.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just got out of the theater and holy poo poo what the gently caress. Even tiny Godzilla was terrifying.

Not a huuuuuuuuge fan of the conclusive battle, but I appreciate the overall impact of the film, anyway. Those shots of Tokyo burning were incredible.

So much bureaucracy.

So much Evangelion music.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just got back from the movie, was loving DOPE.

The first atomic breath scene was literally loving Ramiel from Evangelion.

The best part was the very Japanese woman with a very Japanese accent playing the natural-born-American-we=swear-you-guys.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 19, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Glad this is going down well in America. Given that Godzilla 1985 kinda flopped here and Godzilla 2000 barely made acquisition costs, that may make this the first successful US release of a Toho kaiju film since the Seventies.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

david_a posted:

Just realised - weren't they tracking the residual radiation from Godzilla's path? Then he stands still for two weeks - wouldn't there have been a notable decline of the radiation that would lead to the discovery of the hald-life only being 20 days earlier?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Saw it tonight, only showing at that theater period, so feel lucky as hell. The editing on that film is on point in making all that nonstop talking worked. Felt like Thirteen Days almost with all the intrigue near the end, and the satire was great. I heard people whining as they left about "so much talking," and it just left me shaking my head.

Also, Hellzilla... drat. Beautiful imagery with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Glad this is going down well in America. Given that Godzilla 1985 kinda flopped here and Godzilla 2000 barely made acquisition costs, that may make this the first successful US release of a Toho kaiju film since the Seventies.

There's way more home media options for Godzilla movies and classic Japanese genre cinema in general now than there was in 2000. I'm sure the overlap with Eva helped, too.