Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tried the first two episodes of this season, still didn't much care for the show. Benoist is still one of the only good things about the show. I loved Hoechlin's Superman though. I'd love a series with him, but ultimately it'd probably be disappointing as well. I still want it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

"See now if the bullets don't work, right, why the punching? I've never understood that."

Best line of the night. Tyler Hoechner is an awesome Superman.

I don't know if Hoechlin's happy boy scout Superman is a direct response to Henry Cavill's lovely dour Superman, but thank god either way. That's how you do Superman.

That first scene with Clark is the prefect way to explain away having such a gee wilikers golden age character in a more cynical modern setting, just call it out and move on.

:manning:: "Your attitude is terribly outmoded and not realistic in the slightest."
:haw: "Well, that's just the way I am. Deal with it. UP UP AND AWAY!"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

nooneofconsequence posted:

Also what happened to Kara's office?

Left in LA

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I really hope Crisis happens and super nice Superman ends up in the same world as Oliver and Barry because I'd love to see him just hang out with Oliver being super optimistic about like just everything then calling him on his bullshit.

"Oliver super angry"

" Well, no you have to be honest with people and treat people with respect"

"RESPECT IS EARNED"

" No, respect is something you give people. You've got a great cave here its fantastic. Felicity is super nice"

" I KNOW THE COSTS "

" You need to stop killing people that's not cool."

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If they waste their opportunity to have Tyler Hoechlin, Dean Cain, and Brandon Routh share a scene then I don't know why they even bother making television.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I skipped most of season 1 because it was pretty substandard, but the one constant is that Kara's actress brings a joy and enthusiasm to the character that I, frankly, find exciting and lovable and interesting and it's really great. I watched the first two episodes of this season and made sure to skip the (surprisingly few) romance subplots (this is James stuff right now, I guess) and really enjoyed it. I like it when Kara talks with Cat, and her sister.

I also had fun with this bright found-his-place-in-the-world, cheerful, firmly situated Superman. He and Kara and J'onn, and his time with the rest of the crew (the computer jock :lol:) were really nice. He's most definitely NOT MY SUPERMAN but I thought he was a very successful iteration of the character.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the MoS/BvS version of Superman, and those movies in their entirety, but this sorta-throwback to Reeve's Superman is also a pleasant take on the character. I'm pleased they went this route, I couldn't have taken another Barry/Ollie emotional obfuscation (MY LIFE IS SO HAAAAAAARD!!!) on the show. I do have to say that Supergirl in these past two episodes has been significantly better than a majority of the heroes on the CW since there isn't that shoddy attempt at melodrama.

But we all know Harrison Wells from Flash S01 is the best character on the CW, the next runner-up being Arrow's Deathstroke. :getin:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 19, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Alex got punched in the face by a super powered cyborg. She should be dead.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Aphrodite posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that. Power armor absorbing the blows I can buy, getting decked in the unarmored side of the face, not so much.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

A Kryptonite exoskelton with no actual body armor protects her :pseudo:

I do like the suit, though, since she can go kick rear end with her sister. I hope she eventually gets to go full on Matrix.

Also, place your bets on Strange Kryptonian Person now: Superboy or Eradicator? :iiam:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've already said outright who he is in interviews and stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bentacos posted:

If they waste their opportunity to have Tyler Hoechlin, Dean Cain, and Brandon Routh share a scene then I don't know why they even bother making television.

If at least Hoechlin and Routh don't have a scene together this year during the mega-crossover, than the entire season of the entire Arrowverse has been a miserable failure :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tiny Superman is the best Superman. And I adore Wynn fanboying out around him in every scene they had together. Come on CW, give us a Superman series, he's too good to waste.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

This episode was so much better without the weird CW romantic subplot with James. He only came out for 5 seconds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't even process how much I enjoyed the last two episodes of Supergirl!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh wait yeah, what happened with that scene of Small Superman walking and talking with Big Jimmy? Could they not find a way to make Clark look big enough? :saddowns:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

Well then it's a good thing I don't read spoilers! :shobon:

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'm wondering is their trying to set up Wynn and Kara's sister for a romance plot. Seemed weird they just kind of brought up their dating life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Oh wait yeah, what happened with that scene of Small Superman walking and talking with Big Jimmy? Could they not find a way to make Clark look big enough? :saddowns:

To be fair, Jimmy is like 11 feet tall.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I still have no idea why y'all call him Small Superman. Hoechlin is 6'0''. Mehcad Brooks is 6'3''. :confused:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rhyno posted:

Tiny Superman is the best Superman. And I adore Wynn fanboying out around him in every scene they had together.

"Are you... crying?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pan Dulce posted:

I still have no idea why y'all call him Small Superman. Hoechlin is 6'0''. Mehcad Brooks is 6'3''. :confused:

He's Hollywood 6'0". Amell posted pics of them together and is noticeably taller. I met Amell and he's probably only 6'0".

He's TINY.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Who is it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

Who is it?

Mon-El / Lar Gand / dude from a planet that has powers just like Superman.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

To be fair, Jimmy is like 11 feet tall.

I'll assume this is how Jimmy became CEO: he grabbed the contract and no one else could take it from him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rhyno posted:

He's Hollywood 6'0". Amell posted pics of them together and is noticeably taller. I met Amell and he's probably only 6'0".

He's TINY.

Superman is roughly the size of JJ Barea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Figured.

So Daxamite who'll probably keel over because of some random source of lead

I imagine Kara will fall for him or vice versa before getting shunted off into the phantom zone

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I figure he's a Daxamite.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Drifter posted:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the MoS/BvS version of Superman, and those movies in their entirety
:yikes:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Make him a loving Green Lantern, get crazy up in this bitch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

He's TINY.

On the other end of the spectrum there's constantly growing David Mazouz on Gotham. On this week's episode there was a scene with him and Ben McKenzie standing around talking and Mazouz was noticeably taller. Also he's only like 15 so he isn't done growing.

For actually this show, the Jimmy stuff seemed really stupid and only done because they don't really have anything else for him to do right now. Although thinking about it, is he actually supposed to be in charge of Catco as a whole or just the magazine? Because the magazine makes sense, the company does not.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Drifter posted:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the MoS/BvS version of Superman, and those movies in their entirety

Seriously, that's the most disturbing thing I've read all year, and I've been following the election pretty closely.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, guess what we're not going to talk about in this thread? Man of Steel/BvS! Or goons' opinion of said movies.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

frgildan posted:

I'm wondering is their trying to set up Wynn and Kara's sister for a romance plot. Seemed weird they just kind of brought up their dating life.

Yeah, I assumed that, as well. I could see the show doing that in service of a flipped gender dynamic, where she's the no-nonsense secret agent person who punches dudes and he's the non-physical support staff person. The show has such an unsubtle 90's style of feminist messaging...this whole, "who says girls don't kick rear end" / "listen up, I'm the boss" kind of thing. I mean, it co-stars Ally McBeal playing Anna Wintour.

My bet is that Wynn's in danger and Alex saves his damsel rear end. Then he feels emasculated, gets over it, and they gently caress.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
These episodes were cheesy-good. The action was surprisingly decent for tv standards. Superman was great, Benoist is great as usual and Winn has become this series' version of Cisco and getting him in the middle of everything really makes them seem like more of a team. They also managed to give characters more depth, like Alex/Kara conflict from leftover resentment/adoption issues. When I heard Calista Flockhart was leaving the show, I figured I'd only bother with the Crossover episodes, but I'll probably stick around now.

I know we can probably expect Alex in the Krytonite suit a lot more, but I wish they'd go back to her emptying the clips of a million different guns into a bad guy.

Putting the breaks on the Kara/James thing was pretty jarring, but I'm alright with it if it cuts down Mr. Boring Perfect's screentime.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Slayer posted:

Seriously, that's the most disturbing thing I've read all year, and I've been following the election pretty closely.

You know we're gonna keep the Phantom Zone open, and we're gonna load it up with some bad dudes.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Aquasnake posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that. Power armor absorbing the blows I can buy, getting decked in the unarmored side of the face, not so much.

This seems to be something superhero fiction just goes with. It was in Spider-Man 2 as well - Spidey punches Doc Ock right in the face with super-strength several times and he just tanks it despite his only "powers" being the mechanical arms.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but Spidey's a good guy so it's conceivable he pulls his punches.

The cyborgs were actually trying to kill them.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For some reason Cadmus gave them one terminator arm and one Nerf arm. Sadly he kept trying to punch Alex with the Nerf arm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's weird, I thought Metallo's fake chest looked fine but the other one's looked super fake for some reason. Also thought it was kind of goofy how even by the end of the episode they just kept giving those guys shirts and they would burn through them. There had to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I thought it was a nice touch that when Alex stabbed the dude in the chest with a bit of pipe, black cyborg chest gunk started dribbling out through the pipe.