Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Watched a still paper plate'd Yukon hit a concrete pillar with the left front while pulling into a parking spot. On the back was an "Oilfield trash making oilfield cash" sticker. Never change Texans, never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

I guess you could say that interaction was a case of... Murphy's Law

Hahaha, ya, I suppose it was.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A semi squatting in the right lane and actively blocking you from merging onto the highway (or, if applicable, the car in the left lane blocking them from making way) should be grounds for a defensive shooting. This is a situation where the truck doing 55 actually belongs in the left lane.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This is the person the UK shares the road with.

Meet Stephen Bagwell. Stephen has a YouTube channel where he uploads videos of his terrible driving where he loses his poo poo, toots his horn and flashes his lights at anyone he perceives to be a wrongdoer on the road.

For example, he sits hogging the right hand lane and goes absolutely apeshit when a Jaguar undertakes him to get past him.

http://youtu.be/4xdM5JwEHZE

Uses the wrong lane on a roundabout and honks at people who have the audacity to be in the lane he wants to cut across.

http://youtu.be/NLf41qjTUHs

Honks at people using a junction normally?

http://youtu.be/VoxfU3_j1lc

I swear the guy is mentally ill or something and has a coke habit because he is constantly sniffing in all his vids. Take a peek at his channel, the refreshing counter to his smug self righteousness is all the comments eviscerating him.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFfGnibRvqybu1K8JqaKkyQ

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, that dickhead.

It's even worse when you realise he's sniffing all the loving time and you can't not hear it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Yeah clearly mental health issues there. Those ticks.. either that or he's a coke sniffing horse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The people you share the nurburgring with:

https://gfycat.com/InsignificantNecessaryCoyote

"hmm yes I'll try to pass on the inside of the approach to one of the fastest corners on the track, this will be okay"

"hmm that is a scary wreck I should totally pull off the track to the exact spot a vehicle surprised to see me behind the crest will slide towards"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't think I ever made that turn close to correctly on GT. My plan was usually to set it up so I could ride the wall and just get back on the road to heavy brake for the next right but I would not recommend that IRL for the above reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's also one of the best corners on the track if you nail it, at least in video game form. I imagine in the real world I would creep around it in first gear, terrified.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Ludicro posted:

This is the person the UK shares the road with.

Meet Stephen Bagwell. Stephen has a YouTube channel where he uploads videos of his terrible driving where he loses his poo poo, toots his horn and flashes his lights at anyone he perceives to be a wrongdoer on the road.

For example, he sits hogging the right hand lane and goes absolutely apeshit when a Jaguar undertakes him to get past him.

http://youtu.be/4xdM5JwEHZE

Uses the wrong lane on a roundabout and honks at people who have the audacity to be in the lane he wants to cut across.

http://youtu.be/NLf41qjTUHs

Honks at people using a junction normally?

http://youtu.be/VoxfU3_j1lc

I swear the guy is mentally ill or something and has a coke habit because he is constantly sniffing in all his vids. Take a peek at his channel, the refreshing counter to his smug self righteousness is all the comments eviscerating him.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFfGnibRvqybu1K8JqaKkyQ

Holy good god how do people like this not end up in a fatal crash day 1? The moron is even arguing in the comments.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I do sincerely believe this guy, if he's not a troll, is a genuine case of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

He lacks the capacity to understand what a poor driver he is to the point where he believes he is, in fact, a good driver.

It would be a lot more fascinating if he wasn't going to kill someone one of these days.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

FCKGW posted:

From the comments on the Reddit thread, there used to be a right lane there and they recently closed the lane and put in a bike path, that's why there are cones and a barrier there. It's likely the BMW thought the lane was still there and wasn't trying to pass the car so much as to change lanes (that don't exist any more) and had to jerk back in again.

Google maps suggests a single lane.

153 Broadway

https://goo.gl/maps/L1oEPDuqppr

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This chucklefuck wants 50 bucks for his four whooped tires... two of them would make good spares.

He lives 15 miles from me. I probably shared rainy road with those garbage tires recently.

When I posted this to a local offroad group, I was immediately dogpiled by banjo playing retards insisting they were just fine for the price and totally worth regrooving.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UmaOYz38Uc

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tarantula posted:

Holy good god how do people like this not end up in a fatal crash day 1? The moron is even arguing in the comments.

In the second video how does that work? why does his lane have a left and straight option, when the painted lines in the roundabout give him only the left?

I drive on the other side and in a place without roundabouts, obviously.

Edit: I agree he's an idiot, just looking for the rules on that one...

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

ilmucche posted:

In the second video how does that work? why does his lane have a left and straight option, when the painted lines in the roundabout give him only the left?

It looks like the lines on the road are painted for those already on the roundabout and not from the slip road.

But who ever designed the layout of the lines needs a slap for it being stupid.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was a work of art, and back on its wheels at the end

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

ilmucche posted:

The leftmost lane is left only, middle is left or straight and the right is straight only so I think the Vauxhall did actually pull out in front of him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

The people you share the nurburgring with:

https://gfycat.com/InsignificantNecessaryCoyote

"hmm yes I'll try to pass on the inside of the approach to one of the fastest corners on the track, this will be okay"

"hmm that is a scary wreck I should totally pull off the track to the exact spot a vehicle surprised to see me behind the crest will slide towards"

Another dead RS it seems

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tarantula posted:

The leftmost lane is left only, middle is left or straight and the right is straight only so I think the Vauxhall did actually pull out in front of him.

Totally agree with people saying the arrows are misleading and that it's a really badly designed junction, but the lane was marked A56 S when our Mr Bagwell clearly wanted A56 N. The cars queuing obscure the road markings in that lane but it would've been on the signage. The Vectra didn't do anything wrong and to be fair had Mr Bagwell just flipped his indicator on and merged in it would've been a total non event.

In fact if it wasn't for his awful lane discipline evident across all his videos he could've gone in the left most lane in the slip road and straight into the one he wanted at the end without having to merge behind the Vectra or the BMW.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I know this has been covered before but are we really so lazy as a country that we can't turn the steering wheel just a little bit farther so we turn into the lane we actually want to be in instead of going way out into the second lane, so the driver behind us thinks that's the lane we want to be in and starts to pass us, before continuing the arc of our turn back into the first lane? That was jackass number one this morning, and not really a big deal because that is so common now that it doesn't get more than an eye roll from me.

It's rear end in a top hat number two that pissed me off. rear end in a top hat number two is the kind of guy I want to see this happen to.

There's a two lane road in my area that becomes the left lane for 695. About 1/4 mile before this the right lane ends.

I'm in the left lane in a line of cars traveling at a decent speed. As I'm passing the merge point, and with plenty of space behind me, some rear end in a top hat in a black car with blacked out logos and tinted windows starts to pass me on the right. While we're still overlapping by at least 3/4 of a car length (if I were a little farther up I could turn my head 90 degrees and look at him, assuming I could see him through the tint) he begins merging. I know he's aware of me, how could he not be, but he merges like I'm not even there. Didn't even hesitate a little bit. I lean on my horn and he continues over in a smooth, steady motion. Of course I back off. And of course that's why he did it. Because the way he did it leaves me no doubt that he does this all the time because he knows that 95% of other drivers will back off rather than risk some lunatic hitting them over a single car length in line.

It's probably why he has tinted windows. It's not a status symbol or to look cool or whatever. He knows everybody else will want to kill him and is trying to hid his identity.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Murphys Law posted:

I know this has been covered before but are we really so lazy as a country that we can't turn the steering wheel just a little bit farther so we turn into the lane we actually want to be in instead of going way out into the second lane, so the driver behind us thinks that's the lane we want to be in and starts to pass us, before continuing the arc of our turn back into the first lane? That was jackass number one this morning, and not really a big deal because that is so common now that it doesn't get more than an eye roll from me.

It's rear end in a top hat number two that pissed me off. rear end in a top hat number two is the kind of guy I want to see this happen to.

There's a two lane road in my area that becomes the left lane for 695. About 1/4 mile before this the right lane ends.

I'm in the left lane in a line of cars traveling at a decent speed. As I'm passing the merge point, and with plenty of space behind me, some rear end in a top hat in a black car with blacked out logos and tinted windows starts to pass me on the right. While we're still overlapping by at least 3/4 of a car length (if I were a little farther up I could turn my head 90 degrees and look at him, assuming I could see him through the tint) he begins merging. I know he's aware of me, how could he not be, but he merges like I'm not even there. Didn't even hesitate a little bit. I lean on my horn and he continues over in a smooth, steady motion. Of course I back off. And of course that's why he did it. Because the way he did it leaves me no doubt that he does this all the time because he knows that 95% of other drivers will back off rather than risk some lunatic hitting them over a single car length in line.

It's probably why he has tinted windows. It's not a status symbol or to look cool or whatever. He knows everybody else will want to kill him and is trying to hid his identity.

Solution: drive a shittier car than that guy

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

Solution: drive a shittier car than that guy

Accurate. A $500 car and a forced maniacal unhinged grin when someone tries to bully you on the road go a LONG way.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

Accurate. A $500 car and a forced maniacal unhinged grin when someone tries to bully you on the road go a LONG way.

Maybe start drifting in their direction as well to close the gap faster?

Maybe also get rims like on the war rig.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Murphys Law posted:

Maybe start drifting in their direction as well to close the gap faster?

Maybe also get rims warboys with grenade-tipped spears like on the war rig.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm a big fan of:
  • skid plates
  • fenders that obviously get scraped on rocks
  • large enough tires + sufficiently articulated front suspension to easily and safely* climb most vehicles

* - well, for me.

Actually, I lucked out recently because of that. I parked in a parking lot, and was still in the car when a big fat guy in a suburban parked next to me. I got out and walked around to talk some smack when he bangs his door into what I think is my front fender - then I realize it's actually hitting my slightly-cocked mud terrain tire. (Yes, it was still in the lines.)

I then proceeded to laugh in his face as he tried to force his way out and got stuck in his door. Like, he obviously thought it was fine to damage my vehicle (had it been the fender, which he couldn't have seen that it wasn't), and he made a valiant effort to do so, but I just got to enjoy it because my tire was placed just right.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 17, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Javid posted:

A semi squatting in the right lane and actively blocking you from merging onto the highway (or, if applicable, the car in the left lane blocking them from making way) should be grounds for a defensive shooting. This is a situation where the truck doing 55 actually belongs in the left lane.

Even worse, I mentioned a while back that I had to drive for my job to a client about 30 minutes away from our main office. I was in a clearly marked company car and taking a looping interstate on-ramp with a couple cars behind me, all 3 interstate lanes were practically wide open. rear end in a top hat in a semi was in the right lane where I needed to merge, the 2 lanes to his left were completely empty, but he decides to jam on his gas and try (unsuccessfully) to block my merge onto the interstate instead of moving over a lane to make room. He gave me the foghorn when I passed him and moved to the middle lane, he got the finger for being a reckless bag of dicks. On the plus side he had one of those "how's my driving" placards on the back and some poor dude got an earful for his employee being a dangerous shitstain.

Also coming out of my work parking lot last Friday, some old bitch decided she was too good to make room for anyone in the gigantic line of traffic. She had about 1.5 car widths of room between her car and the one ahead, I'm coming out of the lot and taking a right. The road I'm turning onto is 2 lanes, closest to me is a straight/right and the furthest is a left-turn only, and I'm trying to get to the left turn. She decides NOPE, shakes her head and wags her finger, and blocks me from merging - at the same time, another car was trying to make a left into the lot I was coming out of, and she blocked that person too. Since she was in the left lane, I decided "gently caress it", pulled into the right/straight lane, went through the green at the intersection, pulled a u-turn and took a right to get onto the road where I needed to be. Stupid hag got stuck at the light and couldn't go left because of all the traffic in the intersection, I smiled all the way home.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 17, 2016

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Depending on how enforced these kinds of regulations are in your jurisdiction, just get tires that poke out a few inches.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

I'm a big fan of:
  • skid plates
  • fenders that obviously get scraped on rocks
  • large enough tires + sufficiently articulated front suspension to easily and safely* climb most vehicles

* - well, for me.

Actually, I lucked out recently because of that. I parked in a parking lot, and was still in the car when a big fat guy in a suburban parked next to me. I got out and walked around to talk some smack when he bangs his door into what I think is my front fender - then I realize it's actually hitting my slightly-cocked mud terrain tire. (Yes, it was still in the lines.)

I then proceeded to laugh in his face as he tried to force his way out and got stuck in his door. Like, he obviously thought it was fine to damage my vehicle (had it been the fender, which he couldn't have seen that it wasn't), and he made a valiant effort to do so, but I just got to enjoy it because my tire was placed just right.

On most of my cars, the tires are worth more than the car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am far more accepting of that then the stereo being worth more.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

slidebite posted:

I am far more accepting of that then the stereo being worth more.
Ditto!

My tires were pretty pricey, but the issue for me is less their value (relatively high) and more the likelihood that he could damage them (relatively low). They're 3-ply, knobby off-road tires at 40psi. Without a sharp object, they're not going anywhere.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
As soon as the average temperatures are dropping to below 5 degrees C I'm going to be 800 bucks poorer. But I'd rather be safe than drive on cheap poo poo. I find it pretty scary when I see what kind of budget poo poo people are using all year round here.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Oops! Not sure how this happened, but as I pulled around him I saw that tire was bald to the steel belts. Good thing he wasn't going anywhere.

http://imgur.com/HATvDxa

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9pQQCaw31c

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Alcohol, probably.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was the camera vehicle a tank or did the car being filmed just sound that hosed up?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This seems like a catastrophic spontaneous disassembly waiting to happen:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Why are you so close to him, considering what's pictured? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004