Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I am thinking about dumping my aging Tivo Premiere and just giving in to Comcast and getting their X1 platform. Mostly, I'm just tired of Tivo crapping out with on demand, plus the extra $15 a month on top of Comcast's outrageous prices. The rep assured me that the main X1 box would be free, although I'm still not sure if that's just for the first year or whatever. It also makes sense to get another X1 box for my bedroom and swallow another $10/mo. I'm just interested to know if anyone here uses these STBs and can tell me if they are dog poo poo or not.

Bonus question:
Can I use the ethernet port(s) on the secondary X1 boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.
It's underwhelming for how they advertise it, but may be better than an old tivo. Voice control works pretty nice, setup was a breeze.

Then I tried to change some settings and the box would take 10 seconds to recognize button presses, power button on the box didn't even work. I had to power cycle it by pulling the plug. Otherwise speed has been acceptable, not anywhere close to fast but not slow or laggy enough to upset me.

Box also never shuts off by remote, I assume this is because it takes 20+ seconds to boot up when asleep or powered off. There is literally not a setting for this that I can find. With just having a tv and the box the two power buttons work identically.

Remote has easily setup with multiple tvs though, so that part is painless if you aren't doing harmony remotes.

Channel giude has two lines of ads every page, displaying xfinity movies to rent, and they are mixed in to the normal channels so don't really stand out, this is the "feature" that aggravates me the most and there is no option to control it. All the more reason to use the decent voice feature.

I haven't gotten in to the dvr settings much, but that is all server side so the box doesn't have much to do. When I accidentally press rewind on live tv it's pretty seamless outside of expected box slowness.

I guess my review having never used a tivo is this is the best cable box I have ever had, but there is no confusion about it being a cable box. It's good enough I don't mind it, it's world's better than their crappy web page to watch stuff.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

I use my X1 box for mostly sportsball poo poo and not much else. It works, the voice commands aren't good.

I expected the product to be crap, and comcast delivered.

If you're trying to do anything but just use it like a simpleton you'll be disappointed

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Quadrapellegiance posted:

I use my X1 box for mostly sportsball poo poo and not much else. It works, the voice commands aren't good.

I expected the product to be crap, and comcast delivered.

If you're trying to do anything but just use it like a simpleton you'll be disappointed

Plugs in composite cables

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Ok, thanks. Just ordered so we'll see when it shows up. At the very least I can cancel tivo and save a few bucks.

• Locked thread