Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, golf is already hard enough for amateurs, why make it that much harder trying to do what only one person has done successfully at the pro level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I would argue that the single length clubs would work great for newer players just getting into the game. It would help with the common problem of new players that can hit the 7/8/9 irons but none of the longer ones. I do think that if you have had a swing develop for a few years and had lessons, it would be hard to switch to them. I have been tinkering with the idea of same length shafts for my wedges. Just waiting for a sale or some cheap uncut 8 iron shafts.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
I didn't realise the wedges are also the same length, and the clubs all have the same bounce :psyduck:.

They're certainly interesting, and in theory could help newer players or players frustrated with longer irons. But for the latter group it might be better to invest hours into re-learning long irons instead of investing hours re-learning everything.

And also to tee it forward. If you're at the correct tees for your standard driving performance, you hit a lot more 7 8 9 W than 4 and 5.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah my 3/4/5 hybrids are basically there for occasional par 5 use, or off the tee on longer par 3s. I could probably ditch my 3Hy entirely for as little as I use it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I could see 6, 7, 8, 9 being 37.50 but the PW, AW, SW, LW all being 35.75. I've had all my wedges 35.75 for several years and it just makes it easier for me to swap new ones in.

Longer wedges are going to be weird as hell around the greens unless they have those longer Ping wedge grips and you can choke down a bit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This reminds me of those "pitching putters" that I swear were a thing back in like the 50s and 60s. I remember my grandfather having a couple.

They were like lofted putters meant to get the ball off the fringe of the green. I really hope I'm not nuts in remembering this.

E: YAY THEY'RE STILL A THING :toot:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Wishon makes single-length heads, if you wanna see some detailed specs on them

http://wishongolf.com/designs/sets/sterling-irons-single-length-set/

Also, here is his FAQ / Q&A on single-length irons. Tons of info in there.

http://wishongolf.com/technology/information-and-qa-about-single-length-irons/

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I am just really happy that there is a set of single length irons. I hope this gets people to talk about club components as getting fit was a huge change in my game. Finding out that I needed longer clubs helped my game a lot, and cutting down my driver was also important to getting my swing to be more repeatable path. Off the rack equipment fits one size and swing type, but most golfers use it with out thinking.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

This reminds me of those "pitching putters" that I swear were a thing back in like the 50s and 60s. I remember my grandfather having a couple.

They were like lofted putters meant to get the ball off the fringe of the green. I really hope I'm not nuts in remembering this.

E: YAY THEY'RE STILL A THING :toot:
They're called chippers and used by people who can't chip with a wedge like one Eldrick "Tiger" Woods.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

I am just really happy that there is a set of single length irons. I hope this gets people to talk about club components as getting fit was a huge change in my game. Finding out that I needed longer clubs helped my game a lot, and cutting down my driver was also important to getting my swing to be more repeatable path. Off the rack equipment fits one size and swing type, but most golfers use it with out thinking.

Yeah I really can't recommend enough that people get fit, even if you're the most average sized person ever. Unless you only play like 2 rounds a year it's absolutely worth it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

They're called chippers and used by people who can't chip with a wedge like one Eldrick "Tiger" Woods.

Is this also a "Texas Wedge" or am I thinking of something else?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EnsGDT posted:

"Texas wedge" is a colloquialism for a putter because it's apparently so windy in Texas that you're better off putting from off the green than chipping, except it's not actually that windy in Texas.

The cake is a lie.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Texas wedge is when you use your putter from off the green.

E;fb!

To add to the single-length discussion: Equipment manufacturers have already solved the problem of people who have a hard time hitting their longer irons well - they're called hybrids.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 19, 2016

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Unknownmass posted:

cutting down my driver was also important to getting my swing to be more repeatable path.

Driver shaft length is so crazy off the rack these days. Even professionals have difficulty controlling a 46 inch shaft.

Re: long irons again and then I'll (probably) shut up about it, but I'm always sceptical of golfers who think inability to hit long irons is the main thing holding them back or ruining their enjoyment of the game. You don't use them very often, unless your driving is poor or you're on the wrong tees. On most courses you hit long irons off the deck on the 2-3 longest par 4s, and maybe a par 5. Three shots. On par 3s and other situations (e.g. tee shot on a dogleg you don't want to draw/fade), you can tee it up. If you can hit a good 7 iron, you can hit a 4 iron/hybrid off a tee.

Long irons are everyone's worst club. Even when you learn to hit them better, you still hate them because even though the shot now looks pretty, you still didn't hold the green.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

"Texas wedge" is a colloquialism for a putter because it's apparently so windy in Texas that you're better off putting from off the green than chipping, except it's not actually that windy in Texas.

The cake is a lie.

Sorry, but it's windy as poo poo near the coast and in West Texas.

It's really called the Texas Wedge because a lot of courses in Texas are dry and firm with very little rough around the greens. In addition, the greens are "turtleback" greens, so it's easier for golfers of all skill levels to putt in the very light-to-no-rough (think fringe) than chip off that tight light, so that's what a lot of "us" do.

I say "us" because I hardly ever use a putter off the green. I'd rather rest a SW a little more on its toe and chip that way, as it makes me play aggressively. Plus chipping in with a wedge is way cooler than putting from off the green. I'm also a psycho.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Word, thanks guys.

Kameh posted:

I say "us" because I hardly ever use a putter off the green. I'd rather rest a SW a little more on its toe and chip that way, as it makes me play aggressively. Plus chipping in with a wedge is way cooler than putting from off the green. I'm also a psycho.

Here in Los Angeles, I putt from off the green as often as possible. Or I'll use the leading edge of my gap wedge and putt with that. Way more reliable than trying to hit a chip/wedge off this dry-rear end "grass" we have right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my dad has an old rear end zebra mallet putter and he loves putting from like 30 yards off the green, it's really something to watch

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

runoverbobby posted:

You don't use them very often, unless your driving is poor or you're on the wrong tees.

That sounds like half the people that play golf. Add in the common growth in length of most courses a decent tee shot will still give you 175+ to the hole. I think not being able to hit longer irons is super detrimental to players and the 'game'. Generic Golf magazine has an article every week about how any one can hit a 3 iron, its no different from your 7 iron learn in these 2 steps (I don't actually read golf magazines anymore). I just watched jDay or Rory bomb a long iron and get pumped about doing the same. gently caress its in your bag I should just try it and maybe this time I can get the ball up. I think these are pretty common to most golfers and then you try and hit a 4 iron and you just feel bad. Sure hybrids are much easier to hit, but how many club sets come with 3/4/5 iron vs a 3/4/5 hybrid. Thankfully most of the negative stigma of using a hybrid has started to leave the game and I hope there use only goes up. I don't even think you should get a permit for a 5 iron until you card a 100 or something.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DJExile posted:

my dad has an old rear end zebra mallet putter and he loves putting from like 30 yards off the green, it's really something to watch

I used my 58 degree from a dirt lie just off the green in our 4 man skins match tonight, rest of my team thought I was crazy and all putted. Mine ended up closest to the hole, I pulled it 3 inches left otherwise it would have gone in. Everyone has their own ways of playing this game lol. I hate putting through more than a tiny bit of fringe.

We shot a 23 on the back nine, it was insane. I eagled a par 4 on my own, and we had some holes where all four of us would have had birdies.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Played 9 after work today and shot even par on 9 holes for the first time in my life... that was a religious experience

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Trip report: Costco's ball is the real deal. I've played and practiced a few days with it now and have zero complaints. You could tell me it was a 2017 ProV1 or something and I'd believe it.

The one thing that could be a concern is if their quality control isn't good enough but considering it's an established manufacturer supplying them and also that Costco has very good QC with all their other stuff makes me think it's a non issue.

I can't see myself ordering any 5A balls from LGB or Snells/MG Tour C4s going forward when these are available.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Trip report: Costco's ball is the real deal. I've played and practiced a few days with it now and have zero complaints. You could tell me it was a 2017 ProV1 or something and I'd believe it.

The one thing that could be a concern is if their quality control isn't good enough but considering it's an established manufacturer supplying them and also that Costco has very good QC with all their other stuff makes me think it's a non issue.

I can't see myself ordering any 5A balls from LGB or Snells/MG Tour C4s going forward when these are available.

Agree with everything you said. Played a round the other day with them and have zero complaints and will be ordering more.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The cake is a lie.

Texas is big. I grew up in Lubbock TX--west Texas as Kameh pointed out. The wind is -not- a lie. Made me a good ball striker though, if you can't control your trajectory around there, you're not going to have fun.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Rory using Taylor Made M2 driver, still the same 300meter shots.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Rory using Taylor Made M2 driver, still the same 300meter shots.

He probably just handed them his old Nike and said, "balance it the same."

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Had my best round of golf ever today, shot an 87 off the stick for a 63 Nett in the final round of the club championships. Ended up winning the day plus winning the Nett C grade championship and was only 3 strokes back for the gross win. Super happy right now, I don't win much apart from $50, a few lovely golf balls and a trophy but I'm super happy given I've only been playing again in the last few months.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Heading out for what is probably my last game of the year this afternoon. Weather is cooperating nicely for this time of year, sunny and 19, so I might even enjoy myself. :unsmith:

Then I pretty much ignore this thread until May because :canada: and also it makes me jealous seeing you guys golfing on green grass and wearing shorts in January when its -40C after windchill here.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
tournaments in Nov/Dec are dumb but..........

:japan: matsu! :japan:

Daniel Berger didn't get a flag so since he's from Florida he gets :heritage:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I just finished up a 42 putt round. Off to go and drink till I remember how to putt again.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Played my best golf in weeks today in the rain in Los Angeles. God I miss golfing in weather.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

I just finished up a 42 putt round. Off to go and drink till I remember how to putt again.

See you in the spring.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

See you in the spring.

I live in Florida I'll be having this misery year 'round :) Just had a bad day. I had ten putts at least that either lipped or just burned the edge. Just couldn't get anything to drop.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

I live in Florida I'll be having this misery year 'round :) Just had a bad day. I had ten putts at least that either lipped or just burned the edge. Just couldn't get anything to drop.

Ok, that counts for 20, what about the other 22? :wink:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

^^ I suck lol I'm a horrible putter, but today was particularly bad. Also I was missing everything pin high left and chipped like an rear end in a top hat

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I'm starting to get that golf club Acquisition syndrome.

The counter-weighting is awesome and I don't feel like I have to hold the club off the turf with my wrists.

I also grabbed a set of Adams Idea A2 forged 5-LW with S300's, full cord Lambkins and the matching 3 and 4 HY with Mitsubishi Rayons for $150 at the local Play it again. Compared to my ancient Callaway X-tours they're lofted pretty strong it seems as I am 1.5 clubs longer using them. Still not 100% on board with the wedges as I haven't practiced with them so I'm still using my Cleveland's

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I was on the fence about stocking up on K-Sigs when they had free shipping and now I regret not pulling the trigger. Supposedly they'll be back in stock later this month at the same price and I have enough of them and other balls to play the rest of the season but still would feel better if I had like 8-10 dozen of them on hand.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So uh, I managed to put together a bit of a round today. 45 points on a stableford with 2 wipes and my first ever eagle. Hit a beautiful wedge from 80ish metres out which somehow dropped.

I've finally started to get my short game together through a combination of not being scared of hitting a chip too hard and using one of those straight line alignment markers and using it to aim my putts from behind. This has turned my 3 putts into 2 putts in a short time. The chipping I watched the Mickelson tutorial which was on YouTube and it's really helped my confidence.

I've dropped my handicap from 24 to 19 in 10 weeks of comp golf. I've somehow managed to win the last 2 weeks of comp at my club and I'm becoming a bit unpopular due to always being in and around the hunt.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebag posted:

So uh, I managed to put together a bit of a round today. 45 points on a stableford with 2 wipes and my first ever eagle. Hit a beautiful wedge from 80ish metres out which somehow dropped.

#1: that's loving awesome :cheers:

#2: this is also loving awesome

WTOL posted:

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) - The 2021 Solheim Cup is coming to Inverness Club in Toledo, according to several sources.

Similar to the men's Ryder Cup, the Solheim Cup matches the best in women's golf from the United States and Europe.

Back in May, the Inverness Club presented a bid to host the tournament. In September, six finalists were announced.

According to Lancaster Club, located in south central Pennsylvania, its President Ted Bloom sent a letter to club members Friday saying they finished a close second.

“Despite fundraising that exceeded the totals of any previous Solheim Cup, I am disappointed to inform you that LCC was not selected to host the 2021 Solheim Cup. According to the LPGA, we finished a very close second to Inverness Club," Bloom wrote in the letter.
Inverness Club officials would not comment on being the chosen host site.

The official announcement is expected to come Wednesday when LPGA star Stacy Lewis is in town.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
gently caress You Golf. :flip: :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ohhhhhhh god :gonk:

I want to buy you a drink for that front nine.

and another drink for that back nine.