Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

s.i.r.e. posted:

How do I even check the requirements? Didn't even know this was a thing.

Until a patch undoubtedly betters it, you can view medals and medal progress by clicking the box to the right of the battle packs during loading. If you partially complete some objectives (like heal 10 people) but you only heal five in a game, that progress carries over even though the progress bar might not indicate it. I've also run into a bug where the objective I need to fulfil isn't actually what is in the list. I had to kill 5 enemies without dying as support but the medal progress said I needed to get 10 kills in a game. I don't know if switching the tracked medal resets partial progress or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why would you want to use a joystick in an arcade flight game like this? M+Kb is infinitely easier, you're just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Because there's no joystick support? Lol

No. Because I haven't been enjoying playing this. I was just telling the other guy that joystick support probably wouldn't come if they haven't even bothered to put it in their last game.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Still loving this drat game. Gunning down waves of guys running at you with bayonets in a forest cloaked in mist and gas is just awesome.

I'm bad at being a medic and need to learn how to fly however.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Hey guys the BAR Telescopic is magnificent. Go prone, point, shoot and they die. Or don't go prone and they die. They always die.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

havent stopped playing this game since it came out, do any goons actually squad up in this game or do people just post about their sweet michael bay's great-grandpa experiences

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Not sure how you can play this game for 6 hours and conclude that DICE and EA are garbage. They have been in the past, sure. But this one is a winner.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

Hey guys the BAR Telescopic is magnificent. Go prone, point, shoot and they die. Or don't go prone and they die. They always die.

All the telescopics I've tried so far a pretty much great. Picking off snipers with them at silly ranges is neat.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Darkman Fanpage posted:

No. Because I haven't been enjoying playing this. I was just telling the other guy that joystick support probably wouldn't come if they haven't even bothered to put it in their last game.

Ah, fair enough.

moosecow333 posted:

I haven't played a Battlefield since Bad Company 2, but I'm really confused with how the scoring works. Most of the times when I check my score in game I'll be near the top of the scoreboard, but once the game ends and shows the end game scores I'll be in the middle and some people will have 10k more points than me.

Am I missing something, or am I just bad?

I'm wondering about this too.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Until a patch undoubtedly betters it, you can view medals and medal progress by clicking the box to the right of the battle packs during loading. If you partially complete some objectives (like heal 10 people) but you only heal five in a game, that progress carries over even though the progress bar might not indicate it. I've also run into a bug where the objective I need to fulfil isn't actually what is in the list. I had to kill 5 enemies without dying as support but the medal progress said I needed to get 10 kills in a game. I don't know if switching the tracked medal resets partial progress or not.

To add to this, make sure you do actually have a medal tracked. You can't work on all 5 of the weekly medals at once, just one at a time. It says you can switch without losing progress, but any partial progress will be lost at the weekly reset.

Got my first medal today, which I was well happy with. The scout medal. Had to get 10 kills with single shot rifles. Ok. Then 10 headshots with single shots. Took a little longer, but fine. Then the 3rd part which worried me, getting 5 kills in a single life with the single shot gun. Found a nice spot on Argonne looking at the exposed hillside trenches, and the enemy team was pushing it hard. Plenty of cover and a target rich environment and I finally made it. Only had 4 bullets left when the medal popped too, so it was close. Ehhh, maybe you good players will not find it a big deal, but I am Bad At Shooters so it felt like a proper achievement.

I really like this medal system, though I can see from other posts that not everyone agrees. Now working on the shotgun medal, and... am I wrong to enjoy vanilla Team Deathmatch? I had some fun running around a small area as a group looking for fools to blast in the face. Ended up doing more bayonet charges than shotgun kills in the end, because hell no I am never passing up the chance to run up and stab people in the throat or armpit. Not ever.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Both the trench russian lever action and the experimental semi auto gun for the recon owns.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone can point me to some detailed artwork for the Elite classes in this game? I want to make some 1/35 scale figures in a diorama for my best friend (who incidentally purchased this game for me) as a thank you present, and I want to base them off the BF1 Elite classes. If you've got some which are of how they look as Elites when being played on the German side, I would be really appreciative. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Screenshots or artwork or whatever is necessary. I note that the view of the arms of the Sentry when you play one is different from when you see one in the game, due to their being buckles and what not when you are the Sentry looking at your own arm, so I don't know if that's going to be required for modelling or whatnot. I guess I'll decide the best course of action when I get there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

my kinda ape posted:

Flying in battlefield games is extremely easy. In fact I'd say using a joystick would probably be harder than using a game pad or kb/m.

Confirming this. As someone with an entire hotas setup for DCS/BMS/E:D/Whathaveyou, I've consistently found it nearly impossible to make it work well with any of the BFs compared to just using a controller or kb/m — the game design is that planes move forward at high speed with very little in the way of actual aerodynamics, so none of the minute and immediate controls you'd want in a regular flight sim make much sense for the intended gameplay. Throttle control, in particular, is something BF just laughs at if you try to do it with a flight stick.

…actually, strike that. It worked for BF1942 Desert Combat, but only because the modders were very silly.

e: vvv yeah, that. Maybe Vietnam was ok:ish too for the helicopters, but that's about it.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 19, 2016

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tippis posted:

Confirming this. As someone with an entire hotas setup for DCS/BMS/E:D/Whathaveyou, I've consistently found it nearly impossible to make it work well with any of the BFs compared to just using a controller or kb/m — the game design is that planes move forward at high speed with very little in the way of actual aerodynamics, so none of the minute and immediate controls you'd want in a regular flight sim make much sense for the intended gameplay. Throttle control, in particular, is something BF just laughs at if you try to do it with a flight stick.

It all worked pretty good in BF1942 and BF2 but has basically sucked since then. That said I'm having a loving grand ol time in the attack plane bombing the poo poo out of people.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I got the Royal Order Of The Stag before my 10 hour trial finished. It was fairly easy: 10 kills in a round, then 5 kills in a life, then 3 wins.

Then I installed the companion app and claimed the dog tag, but it never unlocked for some reason.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Knifegrab posted:

Both the trench russian lever action and the experimental semi auto gun for the recon owns.

The lever action is truly the greatest of rifles and one of the primary reasons why cavalry are so awesome in this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

I know. I'm hoping they'll change that very soon since they've had joystick support for everything except battlefront
It's not an easy fix, they went to xinput instead of DirectInput (probably for code portability) and adding DirectInput support probably isn't trivial.

Popete posted:

Why would you want to use a joystick in an arcade flight game like this? M+Kb is infinitely easier, you're just putting yourself at a disadvantage.
Lol no. Having 3 channels + 3+ actives under one hand is awesome.

Tippis posted:

Ive consistently been incapable of flying helos without a stick. Having all 3 channels on the same control just feels way better to me. It'd be one thing if BF had plane KBM controls the way war thunder etc do it (where off-center gives you constant input) but i don't understand how anyone flies with the default KBM binds.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 19, 2016

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Are battlepacks just skins this time around?

The scrap thing is just for building melee weapon skins, right?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If you get squad names all the way down to "N", you get a squad named "Nuts".

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

It's not an easy fix, they went to xinput instead of DirectInput (probably for code portability) and adding DirectInput support probably isn't trivial.

Maaaaan :(

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
gently caress this game is like 100x more fun when you have a full squad and can do stupid poo poo like pack a heavy tank with them and go gently caress the enemy teams points. Way less frustrating too, since I can tell them to kill the rear end in a top hat who stabbed/shot me in the back and then get a revive.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can confirm, played with a bunch of goons for a few hours and I don't think I've had this much fun in a BF game since BF2's demo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov posted:

Operations > Singleplayer > Other multiplayer modes. That's my thoughts.

Oh and are you Eonwe?
Will confirm when I get home from work. :911:

yea, hi buddy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lugaloco posted:

telescopic bar is my favorite gun

I've never been crazy about support in any game, but its my most played by far in BF1 just because of this gun

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

The lever action is truly the greatest of rifles and one of the primary reasons why cavalry are so awesome in this.

It's a real shame they nerfed it from the beta.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What magnification level do you guys use the telescopic BAR at? And is it still good enough at hip fire to use while gassing all the things?

Also trying to decide between the 1895 trench and infantry for scout, or maybe I'll give the semi-auto M1903 a shot. Although my motivation to play scout has gone way down now that I've finally unlocked the Kolibri.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Knifegrab posted:

trench russian lever

This gun. And if you get in among a group thats been hit by any gas, they all just evaporate. It and the Henry are my favorites.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dezztroy posted:

It's a real shame they nerfed it from the beta.

Eh, I wouldn't call it super nerfed:

https://streamable.com/3jec

It beats the bolt actions by a mile. 79 damage is a shitton of damage.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Klisejo posted:

This gun. And if you get in among a group thats been hit by any gas, they all just evaporate. It and the Henry are my favorites.

Its so dope, you feel like an old west cowboy. It really is the best gun.

I also really like the irons on it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Which unlocks does single player give? I don't want to waste my precious warbucks

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

Which unlocks does single player give? I don't want to waste my precious warbucks

A skin for the M1909 if you complete the game. A Black Bess skin for the Landship if you get all the field manuals.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

404notfound posted:

What magnification level do you guys use the telescopic BAR at? And is it still good enough at hip fire to use while gassing all the things?

Also trying to decide between the 1895 trench and infantry for scout, or maybe I'll give the semi-auto M1903 a shot. Although my motivation to play scout has gone way down now that I've finally unlocked the Kolibri.

i do 2x, and yea its still serviceable not deployed

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Any common consensus on what's the best pistol/sidearm? I'm liking the 1911 well enough but I haven't tried any of the other ones yet.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Eh, I wouldn't call it super nerfed:

https://streamable.com/3jec

It beats the bolt actions by a mile. 79 damage is a shitton of damage.

That's at point blank range though. At long range it now does ~34 damage.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I kind of want them to do some East Africa stuff as gigantic gently caress you to the rascist dudes on Reddit myself.

I want an Askari chapter because of that and because it'd be some really interesting stuff about a less well-known part of the war in general.

Also, the first days of 2nd Ypres as a Tommy, because holy poo poo that'd be almost asking for them to turn it from an ego-shooter into a survival horror game. :unsmigghh:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Has jihad-horsing been implemented yet?

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
can you not get in the turrets of the behemoths any more?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Went 49-0 in the Light Flanker tank, still broken as poo poo lol. The fast reload on that autocannon just mulches infantry so fast, and you can walk the shots in from absolutely absurd ranges. Routinely getting kills on Snipers that are 350-500 meters away because they think the first hit was lucky and don't realize I just dialed them in.

Much worse against other tanks, but for some reason everyone keeps getting the plain heavy tank, which is like the absolute shittiest one because if you aren't facing directly ahead of the enemy vehicle you are basically useless, even with a full crew.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Some choice quotes from people I actually know. And before everyone chimes in, yes, I know. Sever.

"And regardless of it being silly to draw a line for a video game I can't get over how distasteful the whole thing is."
"Making an action shooter for modern kids about the war the cataclysm that destroyed European civilization.
And then having the gall to make every other player brown or black."
"Yeah, like erasing the identity of the soilders who fought in a war like WW1 to push a "Divesity" message is honestly pretty offensive."
"It would be like making a game where you run around shooting one another in Ghettysburg
And every soldier on both sides is black."
"Like, adding Black Soldiers to WW2 as silly as that is kinda old hat at this stage, so, it's not like you can do much with WW2 to be that offensive. But, WW1 is still a very sacred thing that hasn't really seen much exploitation by media. So, to take something that's still very touchy and erase the races of the people that fought in it is pretty awful."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I want the ghosts of WW1 to somehow punch those dudes in the dicks hard.