Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I would say 'download Magician and check the drive health percentage,' but it sounds like it won't let you. I don't know if there are any utilities that would allow you to run a SMART test outside of Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The BIOS has a "SMART Self Test" setting which I've enabled, but it doesn't seem to do anything :shrug:

foundtomorrow
Feb 10, 2007
Anyone happen to have any info. regarding where I can snag a 1TB m.2 Samsung Pro 960 the soonest?
Google results aren't helping at all. (For reference, this drive: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-pro-m-2-1tb-mz-v6p1t0bw/)

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Does this sound like a dying drive?

Probably not. Dead/dying boot drives usually will give you BSODs or it won't POST at all.

If you have one, try taking the drive out and connecting it to another machine with a SATA->USB adapter. If you can read/write to the drive, it's probably something corrupt in the Windows install.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

With the symptoms he is seeing, I'd say RAM is the issue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

You might be on to something, just realized one of the sticks is dead :argh:

Edit: So if I boot into the BIOS with both sticks, it was telling me 1 was unrecognized. Removed one stick, booted into Windows, no better performance. Forcefully shut down, remove stick, try the other. Exact same behavior. Sigh.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 20, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

foundtomorrow posted:

Anyone happen to have any info. regarding where I can snag a 1TB m.2 Samsung Pro 960 the soonest?
Google results aren't helping at all. (For reference, this drive: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-960-pro-m-2-1tb-mz-v6p1t0bw/)

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/all-memory-storage/s/solid_state_drives/_/n-10+11+hv22y+zq29m/

You can pre-order them here.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ships in 6 to 8 weeks :chanpop:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Actually sounds like it might be a glitch in applying an update. We have seen a few pcs lately have similar issues applying the latest round of updates. See if you can boot to the recovery mode and use system restore to roll back to before the update or use the dism tool to repair the install.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just traded weed for an Intel s3510 1.2tb ssd . :420:

Is this good for an average user desktop?

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 20, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

Just traded weed for an Intel s3510 1.2tb ssd . :420:

Is this good for an average user desktop?

Oh sure, its a insane good drive and will probably last as long as you use it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So the Samsung PM1725a is shipping now, in x4 U.2 and x8 HHHL form factors, the latter of which does 6400MB/s sequential reads :eyepop: and over a million IOPS.

For just over a buck per gig, which is really amazing. (At least the 1.6TB one anyway, $1670). I mean that seems like a hell of a lot to spend on storage these days but that is a HUGE drop from what intel P3700s were costing just a year ago.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sab669 posted:

What are the symptoms of a dying SSD?

I've had a Samsung EVO 840 (120GB) for at least 4 years, maybe a little longer.

I just upgraded my mobo (Z170 FTW), CPU (i5-6500), and RAM (8GB DDR4) and finished the build. I can boot to my desktop (Windows 10) but I can do gently caress all from there.

If I try to launch any application, nothing happens. If I press Ctrl Alt Del, the blue lock screen comes up immediately, but if I click Task Manager I'm returned to my desktop and nothing opens.

I can open my Start Menu and if I go to Shut Down, nothing happens.

Ctrl Alt Del again and choose Shut Down or Restart from that little button in the bottom right corner and I'm taken to a blue screen with the loading icon that says "Shutting Down" and it just hangs there forever.

I had Windows 7 and "upgraded" to 10 so I don't even have a Windows 10 disc to boot to.

Does this sound like a dying drive?

Reinstall windows 10. Clean install will probably fix your poo poo. Sounds like driver woes to me.

You don't need a windows 10 disk, just a USB and a windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website. Plenty of guides on how to make a bootable windows 10 USB.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Reinstall windows 10. Clean install will probably fix your poo poo. Sounds like driver woes to me.

You don't need a windows 10 disk, just a USB and a windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website. Plenty of guides on how to make a bootable windows 10 USB.

He doesn't even need to do that, if he can reboot into the boot menu (just reset the pc as it's "booting" 3 times, unless there is another way to get there that I still don't know of since they killed the old F8 method) then he can just "Restore" the system which is the same as a system reinstall (As long as he chooses to not keep his files).

Though if you do want to do a full clean install, format drives, etc. The 10 USB method is pretty easy as well if you have a working other system.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looking for a cheapo ~120GB SSD to throw in a ThinkPad T430 I was given. Is this a decent choice? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178966

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

teagone posted:

Looking for a cheapo ~120GB SSD to throw in a ThinkPad T430 I was given. Is this a decent choice? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178966

Nope. Get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173150

It's pretty hard to find the 120GB 850 EVO these days since Samsung discontinued it in favor of the 750 EVO.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 21, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Why does raid 0 not increase 4kQD1 random read speeds. It improves every metric except that with three 1TB 850 Evos. Granted, I'll probably switch back to just switch back to single drives, was just wondering.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm on my phone, so to be brief:

Qd = queue depth

QD1 : QD32 or more :: one at a time : many in parallel

Think about it.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don't know why I didn't think of that. Also just looked at this old Toms hardware SSD benchmark. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991-9.html Basically, games on average queue only at depth 1 for 75+% of the time, but over 60% of that is sequential. So SSDs do help for both launching and loading, but I'll have to advance to like a 960 pro for better qd1 performance.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ding ding ding!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nope. Get this instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820173150

It's pretty hard to find the 120GB 850 EVO these days since Samsung discontinued it in favor of the 750 EVO.

Alrighty. And yeah, I have a 120GB 850 in my HTPC and wanted to get another one, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price. I used a SanDisk SSD in my dad's PC a little while ago, or at least some version of it. Was just wondering if maybe there was another OEM I could be looking at other than the only two SSD brands I've ever known, haha. Thanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

teagone posted:

Alrighty. And yeah, I have a 120GB 850 in my HTPC and wanted to get another one, but couldn't find one at a reasonable price. I used a SanDisk SSD in my dad's PC a little while ago, or at least some version of it. Was just wondering if maybe there was another OEM I could be looking at other than the only two SSD brands I've ever known, haha. Thanks.

The 750 EVO isn't really good enough to warrant a recommendation, and Sandisk's is 'good enough.' You will have a slight performance penalty with a 120GB drive, though.

Don't be tempted by the 'newness' of the Z400s Sandisk drive, though - people have reported issues with it. The 128GB X400 is ~$50, though - and that is pretty much the thread's 'get this if an 850 EVO is too expensive' option. Here's that link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W03S86133

Honestly the X400's the better buy as it's newer silicon, if you haven't pulled the trigger already.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 21, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The X400 is so good enough its really hard for me to recommend the 850 evo anymore for people.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

The X400 is so good enough its really hard for me to recommend the 850 evo anymore for people.

The one thing the EVO has going for it is - Note 7 fuckup aside - is that Sandisk didn't just get bought by Western Digital because they were too behind-the-times to catch a ride on the SSD train. Samsung's not going anywhere. Other than that, the drives are more than comparable.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the 850 EVO Samsung the same Samsung as the Note 7 Samsung?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is the 850 EVO Samsung the same Samsung as the Note 7 Samsung?

The only thing they have in common is that the NAND for the Note 7 (not what made it explode) was made by the same people who make the EVO. I don't even know if Samsung made the batteries that made the Note 7s explode, and there's a chance the reason they did is that they went 'cheap and fast' to beat the iPhone 7 to market instead of 'slow, steady, and safe.'

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing they have in common is that the NAND for the Note 7 (not what made it explode) was made by the same people who make the EVO. I don't even know if Samsung made the batteries that made the Note 7s explode, and there's a chance the reason they did is that they went 'cheap and fast' to beat the iPhone 7 to market instead of 'slow, steady, and safe.'

They switched from a Samsung battery supplier to another supplier and still had the same issue. It wasn't the batteries that were flawed.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Sounds like a software bug in firmware similar to the kinds of problems Microsoft has been having with their Surface tablets if there's nothing physical about the defects... unless Samsung's battery specs themselves are flawed and replicated.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

They switched from a Samsung battery supplier to another supplier and still had the same issue. It wasn't the batteries that were flawed.

I don't think it was the batteries themselves, but more the way they were trying to force the size of battery into the space it had in the Note. Crimping edges of the battery as it was put together which cause either battery manufacture's battery to end up burning.

The only way around that would have been them changing the phones internal design (unlikely) or go to a smaller battery (why they didn't just do this instead of eating the entire Note lineup is a bit puzzling to me.)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EdEddnEddy posted:

I don't think it was the batteries themselves, but more the way they were trying to force the size of battery into the space it had in the Note. Crimping edges of the battery as it was put together which cause either battery manufacture's battery to end up burning.

The only way around that would have been them changing the phones internal design (unlikely) or go to a smaller battery (why they didn't just do this instead of eating the entire Note lineup is a bit puzzling to me.)

Because the current speculation (afaik) was that it's not the batteries at all, it's probably something with the charging/power delivery design that's flawed. They went up in flames no matter which batteries or if they were charging or not.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

My 256GB 850 EVO died a few days ago, so I've been looking at some affordable alternatives. Right now, I'm torn between the Intel 540s and Crucial MX300. Any other suggestions?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Domestic Amuse posted:

My 256GB 850 EVO died a few days ago, so I've been looking at some affordable alternatives. Right now, I'm torn between the Intel 540s and Crucial MX300. Any other suggestions?
I'd hope you mean an 840 evo that's just out of warranty, but if it is indeed an 850 you should be able to RMA it.

The Sandisk x400 and Crucial MX300 are both good choices, but if you're not in any place that has consumer protection like most of the EU and Australia, keep in mind that Crucial are incredibly difficult to wrangle an RMA from.

Do not get an Intel 540s. It has the dubious distinction of being worse than the BX200, which itself is an achievement.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Hi guys! Recently bought a Samsung 850 EVO for a friend. It's been AGES since I've really hosed with SSDs, I have... An Intel 550 here at home, I believe? Haven't really kept up with the technology in awhile.

Is there anything I can do to help boost his efficiency and read/write speeds? Is there anything new that I should know? I feel overwhelmed by all the info, and he's a little paranoid installing a new firmware after hearing that the latest update allegedly bricks this model? Is that true?

Here's a snapshot of his CrystalDiskInfo screen. Thank you so much in advance!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Cromlech posted:

Hi guys! Recently bought a Samsung 850 EVO for a friend. It's been AGES since I've really hosed with SSDs, I have... An Intel 550 here at home, I believe? Haven't really kept up with the technology in awhile.

Is there anything I can do to help boost his efficiency and read/write speeds? Is there anything new that I should know? I feel overwhelmed by all the info, and he's a little paranoid installing a new firmware after hearing that the latest update allegedly bricks this model? Is that true?

Other than installing any required drivers (which I do not think is needed for Windows 8 and up), nope. Should just be magic.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you want to reduce writes to the drive, move internet browser cache to an hdd, change default download location to hdd, turn off hibernation if OS is on SSD. That's what I can come up with, some will disagree with me on the first two options, but those are just my opinion.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cromlech posted:

Also that's an 850 Pro, not an EVO. You possibly spent much more than you had to/meant to.

But it's hooked up to a SATA 600 capable controller and seems to be running in AHCI mode, so everything about that checks out. What could be an issue is that some motherboards have two different SATA controllers, both with the same specs on paper, but one having significantly worse performance in practice. You can't tell if that's the case or not from CDI.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

SlayVus posted:

If you want to reduce writes to the drive, move internet browser cache to an hdd, change default download location to hdd, turn off hibernation if OS is on SSD. That's what I can come up with, some will disagree with me on the first two options, but those are just my opinion.

Except don't bother doing any of these things because the drive will be just fine without babying it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Geemer posted:

Except don't bother doing any of these things because the drive will be just fine without babying it.

This is right. Modern SSDs don't need any babying and will last much longer than you'll need them for.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Steakandchips posted:

This is right. Modern SSDs don't need any babying and will last much longer than you'll need them for.
Yup. Also some of the stuff people sometimes consider moving, such as internet browser cache for example, is stuff that can benefit from the performance of an SSD. SSD endurance/lifespan is essentially a non issue for home users at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

So a fresh install of Windows 10 using the built-in Windows Restore utility did fix my Windows problems... However, my mobo is definitely hosed :(

I bought new RAM today while waiting for the RMA process with NewEgg, BIOS only detects 1 stick. Windows only detects 1 stick.

Computer is stable, but ugh. I do not want to de-assemble everything, return the mobo, wait for the RMA process a second time... gently caress

edit; Oh and also down Windows things I have an illegitimate copy :downs:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 22, 2016