Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
How was that puzzle implemented in the Virtual Console release, by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That seems like a very small thing to ruin a game (and it's a neat puzzle)

I remember Hotel Dusk had the same puzzle except there was a face on each screen and you had to close the DS for Kyle to give CPR

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Last Window did the same thing too! And I completely did not expect it; when it happened, I closed my DS because I had to go check something else and then the puzzle was solved when I came back. :3:

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Spellman posted:

That room where you had to close the DS to imprint the top map on your bottom screen or whatever ruined the game entirely for me. I spent hours trapped in that room until I closed it. Then I opened it back up hours later and I had completed the puzzle. And I was just like gently caress this game.

So you're sol if you play it on a 2ds?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

jivjov posted:

On WIi U pad you can put DS games to sleep and when you "turn it back on" its solved, I believe is how they did it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HaroldofTheRock posted:

So you're sol if you play it on a 2ds?

There's a little sleep mode switch on 2DS I think. Not the most intuitive way to solve that puzzle, but what can you do.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, that makes sense. Better than being stuck, that would really stink.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Does anyone know how many puzzles are actually in Picross 3D 2?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

elf help book posted:

Does anyone know how many puzzles are actually in Picross 3D 2?

364, though with those ones that are made up of multiple parts, both the full one and all its parts have their own number.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/788900063833493504

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

touch gamepad to television

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the curtain is pulled back, revealing that Mario's massive erection is the NX

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Regy Rusty posted:

364, though with those ones that are made up of multiple parts, both the full one and all its parts have their own number.

Thanks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm going to gently caress the NX and cum in it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I've been doing like a puzzle or two a day and that means I will probably be playing this game for a year lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

I've been doing like a puzzle or two a day and that means I will probably be playing this game for a year lol

Yeah it's a loving massive game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Spirit Tracks has a really bad overworld (besides the train whistle) and the pan pipes are finicky because the DS mic is garbo, but the dungeons and central dungeon and sidekick and music and items are waaay better than Phantom Hourglass. And for both, the stylus controls really aren't bad once you get used to them

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

That seems like a very small thing to ruin a game (and it's a neat puzzle)

I remember Hotel Dusk had the same puzzle except there was a face on each screen and you had to close the DS for Kyle to give CPR

I didn't like solving it that way. It was like I got punked. And the game wasn't wooing me so it was the straw that broke the camel's back

I was in a hospital bed with nothing to do, so I had no reason to turn it off, and the hours spent for such a simple answer to the problem soured the experience entirely.

HenryEx posted:

game: "Okay, so i need you to stamp this map on the wall onto your blank map you have. Just press it right on. You know, make 'em touch. Eh? Ehh?? by the way, the wall map is on your top screen and your blank map is on the bottom screen."

It just didn't strike me as a possibility. The trigger word is 'touch', so I thought I had to touch the screen somewhere. I guess it would be akin to a game vaguely suggesting you should unplug the controller to advance. "You just need to lose control, buddy! If you wanna rock this concert, you gotta go out there unplugged!" It would never occur to me because unplugging a controller has never been used in that way.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 20, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Spellman posted:

It just didn't strike me as a possibility. The trigger word is 'touch', so I thought I had to touch the screen somewhere. I guess it would be akin to a game vaguely suggesting you should unplug the controller to advance. "You just need to lose control, buddy! If you wanna rock this concert, you gotta go out there unplugged!" It would never occur to me because unplugging a controller has never been used in that way.

Let me tell you about Metal Gear

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The correct response to when a game subverts your expectations so severely you can't cope with it is to say "oh I'm an idiot. very clever, video game", and not hold a grudge for years about being outsmarted by a video game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HenryEx posted:

Let me tell you about Metal Gear

Check the frequency on the back of the package!

And hope the rental copy isn't a blank Blockbuster case.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check the frequency on the back of the package!

And hope the rental copy isn't a blank Blockbuster case.

Our Blockbuster's case actually had a little typed manual and included Meryl's frequency all printed on the back of the rental case, which I thought was very respectful

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Spellman posted:

I didn't like solving it that way. It was like I got punked. And the game wasn't wooing me so it was the straw that broke the camel's back

I was in a hospital bed with nothing to do, so I had no reason to turn it off, and the hours spent for such a simple answer to the problem soured the experience entirely.

Reset the computer.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

codenameFANGIO posted:

Reset the computer.
I think this killed me when I was 14. :negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of October 20):

quote:

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Pirate Pop Plus - €4.49 / £4.09 (cross-buy)
    Super Destronaut 2: Go Duck Yourself - €1.99 / £1.79
    Fire: Ungh's Quest - €9.99 / £8.99
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €9.99 / £8.99 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for Wii U + 3DS\
WII DOWNLOADS FOR WII U
    Project Zero 2: Wii Edition - €19.99 / £17.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Another World 20th Anniversary Edition (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until October 27
    Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £2.59 until October 27
    [Tumblestone (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 until October 27
    Little Inferno (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until October 27
    Human Resources Machine (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until October 27
    Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - €34.99 / £27.99 until November 3
    Project Zero: Maiden of Dark Water (full game upgrade) (Wii U) - €34.99 / £27.99 until November 3
    ZombiU (Wii U) - €7.99 / £6.39 until November 3
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until November 3
    Darksiders 2 (Wii U) - €12.49 / £9.99 until November 3
    Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures (Wii U) - €34.99 / £27.99 until November 3
    Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 (Wii U) - €34.99 / £27.99 until November 3
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €9.99 / £7.99 until November 3
    Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop) - €4.90 / £3.95 until November 3
    Super Meat Boy (Wii U eShop) - €11.20 / £10.40 until November 3
    Binding of Isaac Rebirth (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £8.00 until November 3
    Year Walk (Wii U eShop) - €3.49 / £3.14 until November 3
    Don't Starve: Giant Edition (Wii U eShop) - €6.99 / £6.29 until November 3
    Lone Survivor: Directors Cut (Wii U eShop) - €2.99 / £2.49 until November 3
    Pandora's Tower (Wii DL) - €13.99 / £12.59 until November 3
    Resident Evil 4 (Wii DL) - €13.99 / £12.59 until November 3
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Wii U VC) - €6.99 / £6.29 until November 3
    Devil World (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until November 3
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES) (Wii U VC) - €5.59 / £3.84 until November 3
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (GBA) (Wii U VC) - €4.89 / £4.40 until November 3
    Ghosts 'n Goblins (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until November 3
    Gargoyle's Quest 2 (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until November 3
    Castlevania (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until November 3
    Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until November 3
    Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (Wii U VC) - €3.49 / £2.44 until November 3
    Super Castlevania 4 (Wii U VC) - €5.59 / £3.84 until November 3
    Castlevania Dracula X (Wii U VC) - €5.59 / £3.84 until November 3
    Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Wii U VC) - €4.89 / £4.40 until November 3
    Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Wii U VC) - €4.89 / £4.40 until November 3
    Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (Wii U VC) - €4.89 / £4.40 until November 3
    Gunman Clive HD Collection (Wii U eShop) - €2.39 / £2.15 until November 3

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Rhythm Paradise Megamix - €29.99 / £24.99 (October 21, includes free "Costumed Tibby" theme until November 17)
    Pokemon Sun & Moon Special Demo (free)
NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Pirate Pop Plus - €4.49 / £4.09 (cross-buy)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Ping Pong Trick Shot - €1.99 / £1.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - €14.99 / £13.49 for Wii U, €16.99 / £15.29 for 3DS + Wii U
3DS MENU THEMES (October 21)
    Rhythm Paradise Megamix - Costumed Tibby - €1.99 / £1.79
    Rhythm Paradise Megamix - Ringside - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Another World 20th Anniversary Edition (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until October 27
    Rage of the Gladiator (3DS eShop) - €3.49 / £3.09 until October 27
    Witch & Hero 2 (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.39 until November 3
    Jett Rocket 2: Wrath of Taikai (3DS eShop) - €6.70 / £5.70 until November 3
    Gunman Clive (3DS eShop) - €0.99 / £0.99 from October 20-November 3
    Gunman Clive 2 (3DS eShop) - €1.49 / £1.25 until November 3
    Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS) - €31.49 / £27.99 until November 3
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) - €31.49 / £27.99 until November 3
    Resident Evil Revelations (3DS) - €8.99 / £7.49 until November 3
    Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €3.99 / £3.59 until November 3
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures (3DS) - €6.99 / £5.69 until November 3
    Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures (3DS) - €6.99 / £4.99 until November 3
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Soul Hackers (3DS) - €8.99 / £8.09 until November 3
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Overclocked (3DS) - €11.99 / £9.99 until November 3
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 2; Record Breaker (3DS) - €19.99 / £17.49 until November 3
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS) - €22.50 / £19.99 until November 3
    Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D (3DS) - €1.19 / £0.99 until November 3
    Binding of Isaac Rebirth (New 3DS eShop) - €8.99 / £8.00 until November 3
    Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until November 3
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (New 3DS VC) - €5.59 / £5.00 until November 3
    Super Castlevania 4 (New 3DS VC) - €5.59 / £5.00 until November 3
    Ghosts 'n Goblins (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until November 3
    Castlevania (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until November 3
    Castlevania The Adventure (3DS VC) - €2.09 / £1.88 until November 3
    Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (3DS VC) - €2.79 / £2.51 until November 3
    Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until November 3
    Gargoyle's Quest (3DS VC) - €2.79 / £2.51 until November 3
    Gargoyle's Quest 2 (3DS VC) - €3.49 / £3.14 until November 3
    Aeternoblade (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until November 10

NA update (week of October 20):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Just Dance 2016 Gold Edition - $59.99 (October 25)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Steamworld Heist - $14.99 until November 3, additional 105 off for owners of Steamworld Dig or Heist on 3DS or Wii U, standard price $19.99
    Pirate Pop Plus - $4.99 (cross-buy)
    Mr. Pumpkin Adventure - $3.99
    Super Destronaut 2: Go Duck Yourelf - $1.99
    Retro Road Rumble - $3.99
    Shooting Range by Thornbury Software - $12.95 (October 21)
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - $9.99 for Wii U, $19.99 for Wii U + 3DS
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) - $9.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ? (Wii U eShop) - $? until October 17

NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Pirate Pop Plus - $4.99 (cross-buy)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Fairune 2 - $6.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    Hyrule Warriors - Legends of Hyrule Season Pass - $14.99 for Wii U, $19.99 for Wii U + 3DS
NEW 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Breath of Fire (SNES) - $7.99
3DS MENU THEMES
    ? - $?
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ? (3DS eShop) - ? until ?

NOA's basically stopped listing discounts on their PR but there's no indication they're doing a halloween sale anywhere. Bad luck, Canadamerica!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhythm Paradise :woop:

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
No cool Halloween themed sales? That's a bummer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Halloween eShop theme. :3:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 20, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It was nice of Nintendo to let people pay loyalty coins to shave 30% off Bayo 1 just weeks before they offered 30% off B2.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SelenicMartian posted:

It was nice of Nintendo to let people pay loyalty coins to shave 30% off Bayo 1 just weeks before they offered 30% off B2.

At least that's a decent discount for the Wiiu version of Bayonetta 1. You can buy a retail copy of B2 for 15 bucks.

And More fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 20, 2016

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Got about $5 left in my eShop right now, I'm considering either a NES game, using coins to get a discount on F-Zero, or holding off until later.

I'm generally ignorant on NES or F-Zero stuff, which is something I would like to change. I have a preference to puzzle games though. What's the general recommendation?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

nerdman42 posted:

I have a preference to puzzle games though. What's the general recommendation?

BoxBoy

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Already got it, gonna go ahead add support for that to anyone looking for a good puzzle game

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

nerdman42 posted:

Already got it, gonna go ahead add support for that to anyone looking for a good puzzle game

BoxBoxBoy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

nerdman42 posted:

Got about $5 left in my eShop right now, I'm considering either a NES game, using coins to get a discount on F-Zero, or holding off until later.

I'm generally ignorant on NES or F-Zero stuff, which is something I would like to change. I have a preference to puzzle games though. What's the general recommendation?
The NES didn't really have a ton of good puzzle games, and most of the ones that it did have were remade a million times. I believe Adventures of Lolo and Solomon's Key are both on the eshop though and those are good

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

Have you played all of the "-Mo" games like pushmo and crashmo. Those are all pretty dope. Also, I knows there's a bunch of Picross games for the 3DS, though I don't know which ones are better than others. Also, not quite a puzzle game but Donkey Kong '94 for the Game Boy is a great platformer with some puzzle elements. For the GBC, there's the original Toki Tori as well as Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, and if you're really desperate there's always the Game Gear versions of Columns and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (aka Puyo Puyo with a Sonic reskin).

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

nerdman42 posted:

Mole Mania is a great puzzler and an obscure Miyamoto gem

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

Generally when people speak highly of F-Zero it's less for the SNES and GBA entries and more for F-Zero X and GX. Unless X is on the Wii U eShop (genuinely have no idea) I'd support in favor of a puzzle game like the Pushmo series. Crashmo is my favorite of the three.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nerdman42 posted:

If you're interested in NES stuff, I recommend NES Remix. It's a nice little crash course of first party NES history played in a WarioWare like style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

nerdman42 posted:

3DS, right?

Toki Tori's a good choice - there's the original Game Boy Color game and a native 3DS version that pretty much makes the GBC version redundant . Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo are all fun but I think they all cost a little over $5. Donkey Kong '94, Mole Mania and Catrap are all worthwhile Game Boy puzzle games, and there's also Adventures of Lolo for NES. If you're into the falling block thing there's Columns and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for Game Gear and a few different versions of Dr. Mario (including one with online multiplayer for $10 or so).