Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

thecluckmeme posted:

Oh, and his stairwell was a murder death trap that, if it hasn't already, will end with a child tripping down a flight of stairs and ending with their head rolling out the inches-long shards that used to be a window
Also the thermostat on the wall there next to the window, in direct sunlight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thecluckmeme posted:

Oh, and his stairwell was a murder death trap that, if it hasn't already, will end with a child tripping down a flight of stairs and ending with their head rolling out the inches-long shards that used to be a window

groverhaus was one man's ultimate triumph of the can-do attitude in the face of practicality, long-term cost-benefit, safety, and just general good sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gentle pete posted:

My [30F] BF [29M] of 6 yrs is controlling in weird ways that really bother me.

I'll try to be short. I love my boyfriend. There is one issue though that is really beginning to bother me. He's never been a controlling person, but over the past year or so he has started to force me to do very trivial, annoying things.

For example, sometimes he will not let me out of rooms until I give him a "password". He won't stop following me around until I give him a high five, no matter how many times I say no. Basically, he won't stop some annoying or persistent activity until I meet his demands. There have been times I simply refused and tried to wait it out. Eventually he caves, but then he acts like I ruined his day by not playing along.

The most recent example I can think of is:

A church dropped off a religious brochure in our mailbox. He started reading the passages in a loud, mocking voice. We're both atheists so I wasn't offended, but he was being extremely obnoxious. I tried to ignore him, basically, because that is how I've learned to cope with purposely annoying things like this. But after a few minutes my patience ran out and I asked him (calmly) to stop. He said he'd stop if I pick a number 7-24, and he would read the passage with that number, and that he would stop. I found his request so annoying that I said no, just stop. He kept pressuring me to pick one for a few minutes, assuring me, "I'll stop if you pick! Just pick one! Just pick one please! Pick one!" I finally relented to just get it over with, since I was busy on the computer in the room and couldn't just walk away without disturbing my work. He read it, I weathered it, and then he started reading ANOTHER ONE. I asked him angrily what he was doing, and he said "you picked one, this is my pick now."

I told him he doesn't need a pick and just stop it. He got annoyed and basically stormed out of the room, saying "Why do you have to suck all the happiness out of me?" He was slightly depressed for the rest of the night.

That sounds absolutely ridiculous reading it now. It's almost embarrassing. I'm sure that these things are coming from some deep-seated issue where he feels as if I'm not paying attention to him, or he wants to exert some control over his life, but regardless it's coming out in super petty ways that are making me question if I can even deal with it anymore.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Imagine spending 45 minutes trying to wring a high five out of your girlfriend and when she concedes, a pale shadow of her former self, quickly move your hand away and say "too slow".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Their bannister was hung on insulated stairs,
for the hope that Grover would soon make repairs.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yo rear end is grass posted:

We've all been asked before, especially during job interviews, what we view as our biggest weakness.

Mine is that I absolutely suck at pinball when there are multiple balls involved. I find myself hopelessly watching as the extra balls that I have fall through the gap between the flippers.
Then, without fail, the lone ball I have will disappear into that void.
After I cuss for a few minutes, I go home and find my wife lying on our bed in only her panties. She looks at me with eyes that betray her secret desire to be hosed as hard as possible, and I jump on top of her.
My erection reminds me of the risen flippers which caused me to lose my last ball, but I try to pay no attention. She grabs the back of my head with both hands and kisses me as I remove the little amount of clothing she has on.
As I penetrate her, I become uncomfortably aware that my testicles lay on either side of her vagina. I can't shake off the memory of the game, and I begin to go limp.
I have my eyes closed, trying as hard as I can to get a boner again. I know she's looking at me with disappointment. With dissatisfaction.
I get off of her, and mumble an apology as I put my pants back on. It's only when I clasp the button on my jeans that I have the courage to look her in the eyes.
"TILT" is all she says.

So what is your biggest weakness?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Terrible Robot posted:

Talking about groverhaus in general used to get you in trouble. Oh, what enlightened times we are living in now.

There was a political pictures thread once where, after it had gotten several dozen pages long, the OP went back and edited in pictures of groverhaus into the first post. They were found out and banned.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

yo rear end is grass posted:

I thought of another weakness.

I am horrible at bowling,

The last time I went, the guy working there offered to put the bumpers up because I was getting so many gutter balls.
I refused, because I would rather lose honestly than cheat.
After almost getting a spare on the tenth frame, only two pins off, I bought a hot dog. I squeezed a bunch of mustard on it to combat the saltiness of the bowling alley wiener.
I choked it down, and drove home. When I got there, my front door was unlocked. I'd had problems with the lock before, so I didn't think too much of it.
I walked in, and put my keys on the counter. There were two candles on the dinner table, and the wax pooled around each of them indicated that they were lit for a few hours.
I felt terrible. My wife had made a romantic dinner for us, yet I'd had a bowling alley hot dog.
I hung my head in shame as I walked down the hallway.
The door to our room was closed. Through it, I heard my wife giggling. I figured she was talking on the phone with a friend of hers, and went and sat on the sofa.
As I planned out in my mind how I was going to explain my lack of hunger, I thought I heard the window in our room open.
I figured she must have been warm, but then I heard a thump from outside. I knocked on the door, and after a moment she told me I could come in.
The window was closed, so I asked her what that noise was.
She said it must have been a racoon, then asked me if I could bring her some mustard. She had to get a bad taste out of her mouth.
I guess it was good that I wasn't there for the dinner she made!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Another great from Grover:

quote:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
There's another Paddington Bear movie coming

resurgam40 posted:

Well, I doubt it will go as far as that... but it would be a pretty interesting extension of the first movie if they did examine Brexit and the elements that led to it in a tone of condemnation. See, part of what made the first movie such a delightful surprise to so many is because it was a genuine update to the themes Michael Bond wove into the original books: instead of being a stand in for children orphaned by the Blitz, the titular character is now representative of people culturally influenced by England abroad who come to be a part of that culture- that is, people who might be English by culture or even by ancestry, but get rebuffed initially because they don't fit the image of such a person (read: aren't white), and the message at the heart of all the hijinks and misadventures is, "they might look a little different and do things differently, but they are still our countrymen and they should be embraced." The next step up from that is the embrace of immigrants who aren't actually connected to England but still come for a new life, and if they managed to condemn the anti-immigrant sentiment as bad... well, that would be something.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
The groverhaus incident in condensed form could easily have been a King of the Hill episode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chateau de Peggy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sweeperbravo posted:

The groverhaus incident in condensed form could easily have been a King of the Hill episode.

They did, season 13 "Square footed monster"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Give the cast some credit, not even Bill is stupid enough to try something like that

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wayfinder posted:

Chevrolet is the manufacturer. You're actually thinking of Chevrolet's Monster

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Parrotine posted:

Give the cast some credit, not even Bill is stupid enough to try something like that

Dale's guard tower.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

Failed ANOTHER inspection - Different fire marshal - SAME wiring. Call me paranoid but I can't imagine that two completely different fire marshals, from competely different government bodies (the city and the state police), would just randomly come to the same conclusion about such a clever wiring setup.

I pointed out that Id already purchased and installed over 180 outlets over the course of the project, so I probably knew what I was doing by now. And anyway, I could have every outlet-capable thing I own plugged in, on, and running, and it wouldn't even take up a quarter of them.

Meanwhile, the Ol Wifenheimer, fuzzed out of her mind on black bombers and kratom, skittered by like a trembling woodcutter ant with several dozen sheets of plywood hoisted above her quietly jabbering head.

I told the Marshal how much I wanted them but he shook his head sadly and said, "Grover, you need to choose a few outlets, and you need to take the rest away. You can't have them all, it's dangerous, you could burn your house down and you don't want to die in a terrible fire? Do you? That's why we need you to take the wires out, Grover, so you don't hurt yourself and your family."

I swore up and down that I'd do the work, and not just try to fool him with a new fake-wiring setup like I did the other guy, but now that he's walked out the door - I kind of feel like just leaving it, and then start dodging inspections until after I get licensed up myself

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Oct 20, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

No loving way.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
the best part is still the pipe sticking out of the barn window in the background

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sweeperbravo posted:

An episode where Bill and Dale are still talking trash about a neighbor who left five seasons ago and whom everyone else has long since forgotten about, Khan puzzled and eventually angered as they keep telling him about the stairs and the outlets over and over and over.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"why are people still making fun of this insanely stupid and funny thing that happened on these forums that were completely verboten to make fun of for years due to the subject's mod status, i don't get it thpbbbbbbbbbbbbb thpbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb thpbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

china bot posted:

the best part is still the pipe sticking out of the barn window in the background

Close. The best part is the door constructed for said pipe.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Control Volume posted:

[stumbling around the louvre, grabbing a frenchman and pointing furiously at the portraits of louis xiv, pope pious vii, man with a glove] feminism is a lie. triggered much? u mad? misandry is alive and well in the united states my friend

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Big Centipede is a comedy treasure to that thread.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I've read about Groverhaus in a number of threads, seen the pictures, laughed at the idiocy, but was there ever any resolution to the project? I don't think I've ever heard about how it ended. Property condemned? Family set on fire? What happened?!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

china bot posted:

No, the best part is that his own ineptness at basic plumbing lead to this picture existing.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

HairyManling posted:

I've read about Groverhaus in a number of threads, seen the pictures, laughed at the idiocy, but was there ever any resolution to the project? I don't think I've ever heard about how it ended. Property condemned? Family set on fire? What happened?!

Reportedly the house was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy, though accounts vary.

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

John Liver posted:

Reportedly the house was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy, though accounts vary.

Imagine building a house so stupid that god sends an entire hurricane to erase it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Alaois posted:

"why are people still making fun of this insanely stupid and funny thing that happened on these forums that were completely verboten to make fun of for years due to the subject's mod status, i don't get it thpbbbbbbbbbbbbb thpbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb thpbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb"

Of the whole business, the third most shameful thing is all the money people had to spend for talking about something stupid and funny.

The first and second are the existence of the house and then after that all the posts/pictures he made about his horrible house.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

I'll bite; what's this a reference to

This isn't an actual quote of Grover's, it's a really clever refernece to something else, right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Alain Perdrix posted:

Imagine building a house so stupid that god sends an entire hurricane to erase it.

I heard it somehow survived, but I don't know for sure.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

sweeperbravo posted:

I'll bite; what's this a reference to

This isn't an actual quote of Grover's, it's a really clever refernece to something else, right?

It's a post making fun of an actual post that Grover made.

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

Groverhaus never stops being funny.

Every time I either look at the images or read the posts, I'll find another detail that melts my mind and splits my sides.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VanSandman posted:

I heard it somehow survived, but I don't know for sure.

What is dead can never die.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Solice Kirsk posted:

Their bannister was hung on insulated stairs,
for the hope that Grover would soon make repairs.

The children were terrified, tucked into bed
Worried their house would collapse on their head
Mom with a hammer and dad with his shovel
Tried to escape from their turd-swamp hovel

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
How do you pronounce 'hovel'?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

How do you pronounce 'hovel'?

How do you pronounce hovel?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005