Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Speaking of Lego Star Wars, did anyone else watch the Freemaker Adventures series that aired a while back? Definitely aimed at a younger audience than either Clone Wars or Rebels, but I still found it enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

MildShow posted:

Speaking of Lego Star Wars, did anyone else watch the Freemaker Adventures series that aired a while back? Definitely aimed at a younger audience than either Clone Wars or Rebels, but I still found it enjoyable.

That show was so much more entertaining than it had any right to be.
You could really feel the writers were fans of the material - some of the stuff they included were real deep cuts from SW lore. (Such as namedropping whroshyr wood and shyriiwook, for example, or naming the space station the Wheel) And even though it had the usual Lego silliness (especially the characterizations of Vader and Palpatine) the show was genuinely dramatic when it needed to be. The battledroid humor worked pretty well, as did the funny Hutt adversary. Plus, Lando voiced by Billy Dee Williams? Works every time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

. Rex . Episode :dance:

Preview (putting it as a link just in case)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Poor guy's getting PTSD.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh, so it's a Japanese holdout story.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know, while Star Wars machine intelligence is limited in some ways, this Super Tactical Droid is probably highly intelligent. I get the whole "gently caress the seperatists" thing that the Empire has going, but I'm surprise they just threw all these things in the trash. Seems like it'd be easier to run an army of droids than an army of people who are constantly afraid of being chocked out by Darth Vader.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Covok posted:

You know, while Star Wars machine intelligence is limited in some ways, this Super Tactical Droid is probably highly intelligent. I get the whole "gently caress the seperatists" thing that the Empire has going, but I'm surprise they just threw all these things in the trash. Seems like it'd be easier to run an army of droids than an army of people who are constantly afraid of being chocked out by Darth Vader.

Anyone not in the Imperial army or navy is left to sit at home where they could, potentially, join or foment rebellion. Sign them up, and assign them to posts nowhere near their homes, even if they're an ordinary conscript army they're in position where they have no connection to the locals, and will obey orders out of fear, indifference, or whatever, while at the same time aren't at home to resist the soldiers from around the galaxy occupying their home.

It's the Roman army with spaceships and blasters.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Anyone not in the Imperial army or navy is left to sit at home where they could, potentially, join or foment rebellion. Sign them up, and assign them to posts nowhere near their homes, even if they're an ordinary conscript army they're in position where they have no connection to the locals, and will obey orders out of fear, indifference, or whatever, while at the same time aren't at home to resist the soldiers from around the galaxy occupying their home.

It's the Roman army with spaceships and blasters.

True, but I'm more interested to see if it is cheaper to draft folks into the Navy, give them cheap armor, blasters, barracks and food, rather than build intelligent battle droids and stick them in a closet when not in use.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

IronSaber posted:

True, but I'm more interested to see if it is cheaper to draft folks into the Navy, give them cheap armor, blasters, barracks and food, rather than build intelligent battle droids and stick them in a closet when not in use.

Probably it is.

But part of the reason for doing it is to get buy-in from the populace. A bit of 'your sons and daughters are off making the galaxy safe for YOU and people like YOU' patriotism, partly 'If your planet goes into rebellion, we have a bunch of your sons and daughters within easy firing-squad distance,' and part of it is 'service guarantees citizenship' style reward systems; again, all three are the Roman model.

Then, when sonny-boy or daughter-girl goes home to farm moisture or whatever, they can talk about how, as part of the Imperial Army, they did relief work, built civil works as part of the corps of engineers, brought order to the lawless outer rim, fought far away battles to keep the people at home safe, all the usual stuff. They also provide a ready pool of reservists, probably go into local government and law enforcement, and so on.

Also, it makes the people complicit. If your clone army is off committing war atrocities, well, nothing to do with you. But when it's your sons and daughters burning down the village to save it, well, you're complicit, so you're going to justify it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

But part of the reason for doing it is to get buy-in from the populace. A bit of 'your sons and daughters are off making the galaxy safe for YOU and people like YOU' patriotism, partly 'If your planet goes into rebellion, we have a bunch of your sons and daughters within easy firing-squad distance,' and part of it is 'service guarantees citizenship' style reward systems; again, all three are the Roman model.

Ah yes, I forgot about Space Fascism. :v:

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

IronSaber posted:

fascism? in MYYYYYYY space??? minions of xendor!!!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

IronSaber posted:

Well, how else will you make sure the space trains run on time?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To jump off TheCenturion's point, there probably is also a factor of "those rebels are killing YOUR children, siblings, lovers, and parents!" Makes them seem more sympathetic than if they had a literal robot army and any rebel attack was basically property damage.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Binged on the show over the last week. Really enjoyed it, but I think it helps to enjoy Clone Wars.

I only have one question, and I'm sure this has been answered and talked about to death, so forgive me, but Ashoka survived her fight with Vader right? It does show her going into the Sith Temple, correct?

Anyways, I always figured a majority of Imperials were not super evil, but felt they were on the right side, because the Empire was the legitimate government. We just see the super evil ones in shows and movies. We've gotten Thrawn so many people have been hoping Pellereon also makes the jump from legends to canon. He was always portrayed as a professional, and dedicated to the Empire, but not really evil. Not blameless and probably not free from the racism that the Empire promotes, but he was always shown to be uncomfortable with Tarkin doctrine stuff.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

In what form she survived is still up for debate. Some people think her spirit is trapped in the temple or something like that. Regardless, I'm positive that there's no way we won't see her again. Just maybe not on Rebels?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DancinBrud posted:

In what form she survived is still up for debate. Some people think her spirit is trapped in the temple or something like that. Regardless, I'm positive that there's no way we won't see her again. Just maybe not on Rebels?

If I had to guess, there will be some Darkest Hour kind of poo poo that she suddenly shows up and saves Kanaan and Ezra or something. It seems like if they wanted to kill her, they'd make it very clear, yes she is dead.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think Dave Filoni said her story is done in Rebels. So, she might still be alive, but they won't touch on it there.

To be frank, we do have to make Luke the last Jedi in the galaxy, sans Obi-wan and Yoda, by a New Hope so that's something to keep in the back of your mind in nucanon works.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Covok posted:

I think Dave Filoni said her story is done in Rebels. So, she might still be alive, but they won't touch on it there.

To be frank, we do have to make Luke the last Jedi in the galaxy, sans Obi-wan and Yoda, by a New Hope so that's something to keep in the back of your mind in nucanon works.

She states pretty unequivocally that she's no Jedi. Rebels seems to be getting pretty heavily into the whole 'Jedi/Sith are but one way of approaching the Force' in order to have Force-users a-plenty while still allowing Luke to be Last of the Jedi. It's the whole 'from a certain point of view' thing.

Think of it as Luke being the last US Marine, but man, there sure are a whole lot of US Special Ops, Delta Force, Airborne, SAS, GSG-9, SEALs, etc etc running around.

And the only reason Luke is a Jedi is because a Jedi Master, Yoda, said so. From a certain point of view, Ezra can never be a Jedi, unless Yoda so invests him, because it's a title bestowed by a Jedi Master, and Yoda is the only one kicking around.

Actually, now that I think about it, doesn't the original EU mention a few times that Luke assumed the title of Jedi Master, rather than having it granted, and therefore it doesn't count?

On the other hand, somebody had to be the first one originally.....

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Actually that makes it all really dumb and bad. Id rather have ezra kanan and co just all get wiped out than have an asterisk next to the OT with a "wellllll technically....."

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

TheCenturion posted:

She states pretty unequivocally that she's no Jedi. Rebels seems to be getting pretty heavily into the whole 'Jedi/Sith are but one way of approaching the Force' in order to have Force-users a-plenty while still allowing Luke to be Last of the Jedi. It's the whole 'from a certain point of view' thing.

Think of it as Luke being the last US Marine, but man, there sure are a whole lot of US Special Ops, Delta Force, Airborne, SAS, GSG-9, SEALs, etc etc running around.

how did you write this post without throwing up, this is terrible don't ever do this again

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

banned from Starbucks posted:

Actually that makes it all really dumb and bad. Id rather have ezra kanan and co just all get wiped out than have an asterisk next to the OT with a "wellllll technically....."

Yeah, this. Having Ashoka die fighting vader while trying to redeem her old master would be an awesome way to show that the only person who could even hope to be successful in such a feat would be his own son, and showing just how far Anakin had fallen, having Ezra and Kannan die heroically defending the rebellion at the end of the series would also be a great way of "resetting" the notion that Luke is the only hope for the galaxy since the existence of Kannan and Ezra poo poo all over that concept.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Hey, I never said it was a GOOD explanation, just that it's the traditional Star Wars 'from a certain point of view' method. "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

As to how I managed it without vomiting, practice, my son. Long practice.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm sure Ezra will stick around. He's got to turn into Snoke, remember?

Your_Snoke_Theory_Sucks.jpg

Covok
May 27, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

I'm sure Ezra will stick around. He's got to turn into Snoke, remember?

Your_Snoke_Theory_Sucks.jpg

Pablo Higalo probably looks at Snoke Theories and laughs himself to nausea. Guy probably knows Snoke is just some rando he made, just like how the Emperor was originally created, and isn't Mace Window, Erza, or someone else's pet theory.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If I had to guess, I could easily see an Angel-type ending. Or there's a way to ship them off wayyy into the outer rim, perhaps if some jerkass wanted to bring in the Yuzhan Vorg dipshittery back.

Covok
May 27, 2013

A lot of Star Wars fans have been pushing for a Netflix Old Republic series. Pretty unrealistic to think online petitions work (though, in this case, it is just telling Disney there is demand for a product so it might have some pull), but it makes me wonder what a show like that would even be about? It's so before the prequels that it would have carte blanc to do what it wishes. In Legends, a Sith Empire kicked the Republic's rear end and almost conquered the galaxy. Not saying I want that to happen, but it's so long ago that crazy, galaxy shattering events like that can happen and no one would know during the time of the prequels, let alone the OT or sequels.

It could also be great to see a 180 as well: instead of it being the Legends or Legends-like Old Republic, it's something wholly new that doesn't rely on rehashing old villainous factions.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Come on, guys, we all know that Snoke is Mace Windu. Episode 8 will be Rey and Kylo Ren both racing to find the purple lightsaber he lost back in Episode 3.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Narcissus1916 posted:

If I had to guess, I could easily see an Angel-type ending. Or there's a way to ship them off wayyy into the outer rim, perhaps if some jerkass wanted to bring in the Yuzhan Vorg dipshittery back.

This is Disney we're talking about. I can picture them making those shits canon again just to sell a shitload of toys.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Filoni did say he wanted to put the vong in CW

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Can we at least get Kyle Katarn back?

I mean granted, Kanan is basically Kyle's less nonsensical twin.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bunnyofdoom posted:

Filoni did say he wanted to put the vong in CW

Yea, they even had concept art and stuff for Vong for CW. Who knows what they'd do in the future.

I wasn't aware they had said that Ashoka's story was done, but with the canon, anything is possible. I mean, maybe they'll reveal in episode 8 supplementary material that she survived the Empire and joined Luke's new academy, but died when Kylo Ren attacked.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Narcissus1916 posted:

I still hear Hera as Jan. Same actress.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I wasn't aware they had said that Ashoka's story was done, but with the canon, anything is possible.
I think anybody who said this probably meant that she was done on Rebels, not overall.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DancinBrud posted:

I think anybody who said this probably meant that she was done on Rebels, not overall.

Yea, that's what I meant. I doubt they'd add her to the movies, but as i said, in nucanon stuff outside of the films are still wild west. I can certainly see the Inquisitors being eliminated in the show, and Kanaan is almost certainly destined to die, but Ezra would probably live.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hes in Rogue one with a disguise on next to his buddy Jan Ors Jyn Erso

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Covok posted:

A lot of Star Wars fans have been pushing for a Netflix Old Republic series. Pretty unrealistic to think online petitions work (though, in this case, it is just telling Disney there is demand for a product so it might have some pull), but it makes me wonder what a show like that would even be about? It's so before the prequels that it would have carte blanc to do what it wishes. In Legends, a Sith Empire kicked the Republic's rear end and almost conquered the galaxy. Not saying I want that to happen, but it's so long ago that crazy, galaxy shattering events like that can happen and no one would know during the time of the prequels, let alone the OT or sequels.

It could also be great to see a 180 as well: instead of it being the Legends or Legends-like Old Republic, it's something wholly new that doesn't rely on rehashing old villainous factions.

a netflix series based off the republic commando books would be pretty rad

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hes in Rogue one with a disguise on next to his buddy Jan Ors Jyn Erso
What, she's seriously called Jyn Erso?

*googles*

She is! Ah, come on, everyone's just mispronouncing her name.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Covok posted:

I don't care for the Old Republic because they tend to just poop over the notion of subtlety and the force-wielders basically become DBZ characters. Also they want to have both the Republic and the Empire at the same time while keeping a really awkward amount of things the same as the original time period. I feel like they should've made a cleaner break in that fiction instead of trying to rehash so many things.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Old Republic Netflix, aka "Revan and HK-47's Excellent Adventure"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Band of Imperial Brothers netflix miniseries. ~200m budget, tom hanks and ron hiward and brian glazner.

• Locked thread