Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kongo theme owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
OK last time I randomly post.

The Dead Sea provides fresh water.

I think Firaxis is a little confused as to what fresh water is.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Someone should stream Sumeria

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Everyone playing the game right now is my mortal enemy until I get home from work.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Welp I guess I just have a hosed up computer. The safervpn activation process simply hangs in Chrome.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
For people still waiting and/or interested in watching the Firaxis crew play multiplayer, their livestream is going live in like 8 minutes.

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002

BinaryDoubts posted:

If anyone else is having trouble with VPN shenanigans, make sure you click "deauthorize all other devices" inside the Steam Guard security settings. I think I had Steam logged in on my laptop, and even though I haven't used it in like a week, Steam still remembers that I have another account active on my original IP. So, here's how to VPN:
-On your PC: Go into Steam Guard settings and switch off mobile authenticator (you'll need the recovery code to do this - you can find it in the steam app)
-If there's a button there to deauthorize/log-out all other accounts, make sure to click it (it won't show up if you only have ever logged in on one PC)
-Log out of Steam, then close the client. Make sure there's no steamclientbootstrapper (or whatever) .exes still running - check the task manager processes list and kill them manually if needed.
-Run your VPN - saferVPN is what worked for me. Free trial, no credit card. Just click Japan or Australia (I did Japan).
-Start up steam and log in.
-God willing, you'll see prices in Yen and you can play Civ!

Enjoy!

Thanks for this post, I had forgotten I had steam logged into a different PC and once I closed that out I was able to access

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ice Fist posted:

Everyone playing the game right now is my mortal enemy until I get home from work.

I went home for lunch and loaded it up and almost didn't leave to come back to work. I'm so happy I took tomorrow off just for this.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hello fellow Australian! Would you care for a barbecue furnished with an additional prawn?

Struth!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

That day/night cycle is pretty cool, love how even the ambient sounds change during the night.

Also, this runs MUCH better than Civ5 on the same computer with comparable settings for some reason. It's all very snappy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hogama posted:

For people still waiting and/or interested in watching the Firaxis crew play multiplayer, their livestream is going live in like 8 minutes.

Three hours left at work, thanks for this :toot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Series saved.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

John F Bennett posted:

That day/night cycle is pretty cool, love how even the ambient sounds change during the night.

Also, this runs MUCH better than Civ5 on the same computer with comparable settings for some reason. It's all very snappy.

Interesting, hopefully it will run good on my laptop. I have my much more powerful desktop I can use, but laptop is more convenient, and it runs 5 just fine.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if i unlock the game with the vpn then go into offline mode and turn off the vpn, i am good until actual release right?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Awesome - hotseat multiplayer was pretty much a requirement for my wife getting into this game. Looking forward to this.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I switched to Oligarchy but my military units aren't getting the +4 bonus. Do they have to be created during an oligarchy government to get the bonus?

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

cams posted:

if i unlock the game with the vpn then go into offline mode and turn off the vpn, i am good until actual release right?

Correct.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).

John F Bennett posted:

This gives me hope that I could run Civ6 on my lovely old macbook air, at lowest settings. I could do it with Civ 5. So yes? Maybe? Hopefully?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So Steam question. I tried to cancel my preorder (because of the greenman deal), but since I recently changed my password Steam said they would take their time getting around to actually giving me the refund. I tried to activate my greenman gaming deluxe edition key, but it treats the bonuses like DLC and says I bought the core game ages ago when I first preordered it.

If I preload it now, or start playing it before I get my refund, will that gently caress things up? I know there's like a two hour limit for ordinary refunds, and I would like to actually play the game tomorrow.

For other people who canceled their preorder and got it on greenman, how exactly did that work out? Was there anything awkward like this ordinarily? Was it a big mistake to activate the greenman version before I got my refund?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brannock posted:

I switched to Oligarchy but my military units aren't getting the +4 bonus. Do they have to be created during an oligarchy government to get the bonus?

Did you go to the next turn? This doesn't seem to update things right away (and on some of the streams it's not clear that any of the transient policy related bonuses were appearing on the tooltips)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The AI seems a lot more War-happy than in 5. I've gotten declared by every met civ so far and I'm not very weak. Also 2 unmet civs have gotten shithoused already.

Luckily for me American Oligarcy seems to turn everything into wrecking balls.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Deki posted:

The AI seems a lot more War-happy than in 5. I've gotten declared by every met civ so far and I'm not very weak. Also 2 unmet civs have gotten shithoused already.
What difficulty are you on?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Ersatz posted:

What difficulty are you on?

Only Warlord since its my first game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deki posted:

Luckily for me American Oligarcy seems to turn everything into wrecking balls.

There's no (or very little) warmonger penalty in the early eras

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This game is so much meatier than release Civ 5 was, I'm very impressed

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Brannock posted:

This game is so much meatier than release Civ 5 was, I'm very impressed

That isn't hard, 5 was about as "meaty" as someone suffering from anorexia for a decade on release.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
By Apollo, think I'm going to have to resign on my very first game while still in the ancient era. Rome got invaded by visigoths and vandals a few thousand years early.

Was kind of expecting cities still to have the spear-beam of death.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Khisanth Magus posted:

That isn't hard, 5 was about as "meaty" as someone suffering from anorexia for a decade on release.

yea as much as I love 5 it's really not hard to have a more robust launch.

Still it does look like a very nice jump forward regardless of the low bar.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Deki posted:

Funny, during yesterday's AI "battle royale" everyone was convinced that the AI wasn't aggressive enough and that they didn't want to start wars. :iiam:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

703 posted:

Funny, during yesterday's AI "battle royale" everyone was convinced that the AI wasn't aggressive enough and that they didn't want to start wars. :iiam:

is it possible they had an older build? I heard on a few boards that some employee was saying they were doing a huge pretty much last second tweaking effort to AI. I doubt it went from 'lol Civ' to HAL but maybe they at least hammered out the passive enemies issues and all?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It was an internal earlier build yea. It had other issues like invisible resources.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

John F Bennett posted:

Makes me wonder if there's any chance I can run this on my old desktop (i5, 12 GB RAM, old Radeon 5770 VGA)

Civ5 runs pretty fine, inux version, which is supposed to be worst in performance than the windows one.

And speaking about it, are they releasing all ports at the same time this time, or windows first like usual?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So I just started a game on random. Got Russia, spent first 50 turns or so clearing out barbarians in the frozen North. That same turn I finally kill them, Gandhi and Frederick declare war.

Gandhi still a mad dick y'all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Khisanth Magus posted:

:lol:

The art style is really growing on me. It looks godawful in screenshots, but when actually playing I really appreciate how clean and readable everything is.

I'm a little overwhelmed by all the poo poo I have to juggle but that's a good thing! There's definitely a lot more decisionmaking to do on any particular turn.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why is this game an upgrade over 5

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The UI definitely has some rough edges that needs to be polished up. Sometimes the auto unit cycling will happen twice in a row for reasons unknown, causing me to gently caress up move orders. Units sometimes deselect when scrolling the map with LMB+drag, the city UI text that shows the last thing constructed is wrong, and the city info bar on the world map doesn't update the production times until you end the turn. Otherwise seems pretty polished and I'm having fun with it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Because 6 is a bigger number than 5

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

euphronius posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775912&pagenumber=1

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Elias_Maluco posted:

And speaking about it, are they releasing all ports at the same time this time, or windows first like usual?

Windows first, then Mac some time later and Linux... God knows when. Digging on Reddit, I found this statement by someone working at Aspyr.

quote:

We are still investigating the technical feasibility of it. I say that because Aspyr will NOT be responsible for a substandard version on Linux, no matter how much we want to see Civ VI come to the platform.

Hopefully they do release a Linux port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh right forgot the op

Sorry