Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

I can't figure out what the hell she's done to her car.

It was perfectly fine when I gave it to her-since then I'm slowly being nickeled and dimed for every single thing on it. I just replaced all 4 ignition coils, and I can't figure out what's going on with this drat thing.. when there's any load put on it it now it starts bucking like it's unbroken. Still spools ok, but is not trustworthy over about 2krpm, or headed uphill. I'm strongly considering parting the drat thing out and selling it that way and picking up another one for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is there any difference between CPS Manufacturers, Proparts vs Bosch vs Genuine Saab? Well, besides $40 for Proparts and $70-$80 for Bosch and Saab.

Edit: Going to order the Bosch from eeuro.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 18, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I've used proparts several times and they're pretty good. Sometimes the bolts they send aren't very good though.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

JayKay posted:

Edit: Going to order the Bosch from eeuro.

I've got no complaints about ProParts. Avoid Scantech. Also, check for Amazon Warehouse Deals. Often these are open box or slightly damaged packaging. As long as it doesn't say "No Warranty" (and it doesn't cost more than a few minutes time), you can save yourself moneys.

I would prefer to give EEuro my business, but their markup is quite high. I always check TheSaabSite before heading to EEuro.

Now that I've catalogued all of my out-of-state picks, I've realized that I started pulling parts for a car I no longer own.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

West SAAB Story posted:

I would prefer to give EEuro my business, but their markup is quite high. I always check TheSaabSite before heading to EEuro.

Maybe I'm wantonly throwing away my money but usually go with eeuro because their interface is so much better than most other sites. Their service is good too.

Which reminds me I should order some parts today so I get them by next week.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Maybe I'm wantonly throwing away my money but usually go with eeuro because their interface is so much better than most other sites. Their service is good too.

Which reminds me I should order some parts today so I get them by next week.

Yeah, for new parts I've been throwing most my money at eeuro. I love their site, the service is great, and ground shipping is pretty fast to the DC area.

For used stuff, I usually just hit up eBay.

I lied, ended up getting that Warehouse deal Bosch. :v:

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
2008 Saab 9-5, my high beams do not stay on anymore.
Relay?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some_admin posted:

2008 Saab 9-5, my high beams do not stay on anymore.
Relay?

Yes, it's always the orange relay.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

keykey posted:

Yes, it's always the orange relay.

This.

If you have a soldering iron and a touch of solder, you can fix it yourself. I'd be happy to send you a rebuilt one for $10 CONUS (shipping+core). You don't want to get a cheapy non-Hella off eBay.

<pedantic> It's also not a drat relay, just like there is no SID1/SID2 "ribbon cable" (they're just different LCD designs)</pedantic>

--

Pretty sure this 2006 is having a fuel delivery problem, now. I don't want to deal with a pump at 0c weather- don't do that too me, dammit. :argh:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah my 2000 Saab 95 just won't start. I don't hear the pump prime, and I just replaced the DIC and spark plugs. Cranks fine. Annoying... gonna have to tow it. Thankfully the Saab mechanic here is really good and gets a dece deal with a tower so it isn't totally stupid.

I don't really have space to diagnose or solve this outside of minor things.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Last week, my wife had a small run in with our garage while backing her Jeep destroying the side view mirror. Because of this, she annexed the Aero and I was forced to drive the Civic.

Having to drive that little car for the week really made me miss how nice my Saab is, despite it's age and lack of KBB value.

The replacement Jeep mirror arrived and I was able to install it, so the Aero is back in my hands now. And for what it's worth, removing the door panel on the Jeep was much easier than the Saab. :v: 2 Philips screws with sturdy plastic studs securing the panel vs the 3 hex bolts and fragile clips on the Saab.

And it looks like I need to pull the SID again, one of the bulbs is either loose or out and it's driving me crazy. :argh:

This weekend I'm thinking Misc internal bulbs (DC, seat heater, shifter, etc.), Coolant Bypass Valve, Oil Pressure Sensor, and fixing (again) my driver's side CV boot. I also need to take a look at the fuel rail, see why I'm having extended crank times when cold.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

Yeah my 2000 Saab 95 just won't start. I don't hear the pump prime, and I just replaced the DIC and spark plugs. Cranks fine. Annoying... gonna have to tow it. Thankfully the Saab mechanic here is really good and gets a dece deal with a tower so it isn't totally stupid.

I don't really have space to diagnose or solve this outside of minor things.

You have gone through all of the gears and put it in neutral then tried to crank with your foot on the brake?

Seems like we're all having fuel delivery issues as we get older :pervert:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

JayKay posted:

And it looks like I need to pull the SID again, one of the bulbs is either loose or out and it's driving me crazy. :argh:

This weekend I'm thinking Misc internal bulbs (DC, seat heater, shifter, etc.), Coolant Bypass Valve, Oil Pressure Sensor, and fixing (again) my driver's side CV boot. I also need to take a look at the fuel rail, see why I'm having extended crank times when cold.

If you're going to bother with that you might as well just replace all five bulbs in it. It's many many many pages back but I believe there is a link to mouser or digi-key which has the 1.1 amp bulbs which are basically a direct replacement at about $0.70 a piece rather than paying far too much for the bulb.

Make sure you clear the connections on it before you put the new bulbs in sometimes they get a little goopy, especially when they've had 10 years of coffee spilled on them. Putting the cup holder right next to the important electricals was the dumbest idea on the planet (at least as far as our dash is concerned).

My new dentist comes from the a SAAB family. I'm either going to have great service and minute bills, or great service and very high bills.

E: Android keyboard voice typing does not work very well when there's a lot of ambient noise.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 20, 2016

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

If you're going to bother with that you might as well just replace all five bulbs in it. It's many many many pages back but I believe there is a link to mouser or digi-key which has the 1.1 amp bulbs which are basically a direct replacement at about $0.70 a piece rather than paying far too much for the bulb.

Make sure you clear the connections on it before you put the new bulbs in sometimes they get a little goopy, especially when they've had 10 years of coffee spilled on them. Putting the cup holder right next to the important electricals was the dumbest idea on the planet (at least as far as our dash is concerned).

My new dentist comes from the a SAAB family. I'm either going to have great service and minute bills, or great service and very high bills.

E: Android keyboard voice typing does not work very well when there's a lot of ambient noise.

I'm thinking the bulb is just loose since I had replaced all the lights when I did the SID repair. Not to mention when I pulled it out last, a bulb fell out from not being properly tightened. Oopsie.

I had the relevant post about Mouser saved in my bookmarks but I it appears I deleted after placing my Mouser order. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Can't find the post, but here's a relevant SaabCentral thread "Anyone ever tried these LEDs in their SID?"

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 20, 2016

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Looks like:
560-ENW1-EW87/12MM

There are some lower wattage units too, but I'm the only one who seems to notice. Most folks just use this for everything.

E: down one cracked tooth. :homebrew:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 20, 2016

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer

West SAAB Story posted:

This.

If you have a soldering iron and a touch of solder, you can fix it yourself. I'd be happy to send you a rebuilt one for $10 CONUS (shipping+core). You don't want to get a cheapy non-Hella off eBay.

<pedantic> It's also not a drat relay, just like there is no SID1/SID2 "ribbon cable" (they're just different LCD designs)</pedantic>

--

Pretty sure this 2006 is having a fuel delivery problem, now. I don't want to deal with a pump at 0c weather- don't do that too me, dammit. :argh:

Thanks folks! I'll check the orange relay.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Mario posted:

Backlight bulbs for SID LCD $0.88 at Mouser (:10bux: at eeuroparts)
Backlight bulbs for ACC panel and SID buttons $0.89 at Mouser ($11 at eeuroparts)

Or if you want to search elsewhere, keywords are "neo-wedge" base and "T-1 1/2" bulb size.
Quoting myself for bulb chat.

While we're talking about fuel delivery, this thing works great to attach a fuel pressure gauge when there is no port, though it's a bit pricey. I think I got it for somewhat less than the list price of today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BBFOZQ/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Do you happen to know what the size/specs are of the bulbs for the seat heater, DC outlet, Shifter, Winter Button, and window packs?

Edit:

Heater Switches, some other dash switches = T3
Window Pack, Headlight Dials = T4
Pretty much everything else = T5

JayKay fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 21, 2016

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Mario posted:

Quoting myself for bulb chat.

While we're talking about fuel delivery, this thing works great to attach a fuel pressure gauge when there is no port, though it's a bit pricey. I think I got it for somewhat less than the list price of today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BBFOZQ/

Thanks for that link from so many years ago- you've saved many redneck saabians from hand-wrapping replacement bulbs.

drat I wish I had $50 for tools, because this is something I actually need right now. Wonder if AutoZone/O'Reilly has any of these for loan :downs:.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
On the topic of fuel pumps, quite a few recommend https://www.deatschwerks.com/products/fuel-pumps over OEM, aftermarked or default performance ones like Walbro. I have a Walbro ticking in my 9-5 after my old pump gave up and I had to get something fast, but the Deatsch should also be much safer for E85 needs. Sadly E85 is now non-existent in Norway and fading out in Sweden. A fun fuel.

If you have a dead pump on your OG9-3, do yourself the favor of making yourself a new hole under the rear seats like the OG9-5 has. Dropping the tank to replace the pump is madness.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Anyone have a spare 4603106 (OG 9-3 vert) mirror they want to part with for pennies? I won't be back to the boneyard for a few weeks, and the delaminating rear view in the 'vert is driving me nuts.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Had the ECU pulled from the single 9-3SS at the pull place I was at weeks ago. It was a Y, so I wasn't completely sure if it'd even work, but with cost, shipping, WebTIS, and the pain of my Chinesey Tech 2, it was still less anal bleeding than a remanufactured core.

I am starting to wish I parted that car, because it probably would have been better off.

Also, snagged a new (old) vert mirror. :toot:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

So, 2006 9-3SS is happy again.

Whichever braniac decided to put the computer where it's guaranteed to get baked not only atop the motor, but by the sun (in pretty much any non-Nordic country) was obvious very, very Swedish.

E: It still stumbles a bit on a cold start after sitting for a day, but it runs like a tank. Anyone seen this issue, before?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 29, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Is the 9-3's ecu in the aquarium too or is that just the 9-5? I imagine it would be since wasn't that a development from the 9000?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Is the 9-3's ecu in the aquarium too or is that just the 9-5? I imagine it would be since wasn't that a development from the 9000?

For the 9-3SS, they're right up front under the plastic cover. I didn't bother taking video- I don't usually bother, but this shows just how brilliant the design is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EP4WmaoDjA

It's right up there by having the oil pan and cat separated by a rather thick layer of air on the OG9-xs.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Wow that's a profoundly stupid spot for it. At least its easy to get to, I guess.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Wow that's a profoundly stupid spot for it. At least its easy to get to, I guess.

Along with the ECU baking, GM's Coil-on-plug setup in the 9-3SS makes me happy that MY cars have a DI.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

West SAAB Story posted:

Along with the ECU baking, GM's Coil-on-plug setup in the 9-3SS makes me happy that MY cars have a DI.

Unlike GM setups, the Saab DI system is a really impressive piece of engineering. I'd rather not own a gm engine Saab, personally.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Unlike GM setups, the Saab DI system is a really impressive piece of engineering. I'd rather not own a gm engine Saab, personally.

The 9-3SS 2.0 Ecotec annoys me to hell. This is my first, and will probably be my last (even though I no longer own it). The LP9, however, I'm still pretty happy with.

The biggest gripe about the DI are the cost of replacement, but poo poo- I just had to replace 4 coils (where this is a given with the DI) AND the drat ECU. gently caress you still, GM.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

West SAAB Story posted:

The 9-3SS 2.0 Ecotec annoys me to hell. This is my first, and will probably be my last (even though I no longer own it). The LP9, however, I'm still pretty happy with.

The biggest gripe about the DI are the cost of replacement, but poo poo- I just had to replace 4 coils (where this is a given with the DI) AND the drat ECU. gently caress you still, GM.

That's kind of how I rationalize it too -- its comparable to (or even cheaper than) replacing all four coils on another car. You're just forced to do all four. When I bought my car I replaced the DI with an aftermarket one. The old one still worked, but the plastic shell was cracked, which worried me. I kept it in case the aftermarket poo poo the bed so I have a backup, but its been 2 years now with no issue.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I wouldn't trust a cracked DI long term, either, but stick some RTV in the hole and get it shut. If it starts leaking, it's trash.

(I think I have two fairly untrustworthy units I haven't tossed. One throws codes, but I can't remember what the other does.. the misfiring ones just go away.)

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Never aftermarket DI. Never ever. Even if it seems perfectly fine, they have proven untrustworthy by both Swedish and Norwegian enthusiasts. I think one of the former SAAB engineers chimed in on a thread on STCS - SAAB Turbo Club of Sweden. There probably are decent aftermarket DIs, but there's no way of knowing which one is OK and which isn't. Find a place where you can get a decent price for an original and stick with that.

I started thinking of where to put something like the ECU where it isn't exposed to the elements and that's no easy task. Pretty much anywhere on a car is exposed to something, somewhere. On the floor, inside the car is bad up here in the north since we drag in snow and salt during the winters. Some Peugeot or Citroen owner found that his car had a major grounding point right next to the throttle pedal. Needless to say, that was rusted to hell and back. Higher up means good backing in warmer climates. The boot means very long wires and possible leaks. It's not an easy task.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Iskariot posted:

Never aftermarket DI. Never ever. Even if it seems perfectly fine, they have proven untrustworthy by both Swedish and Norwegian enthusiasts. I think one of the former SAAB engineers chimed in on a thread on STCS - SAAB Turbo Club of Sweden. There probably are decent aftermarket DIs, but there's no way of knowing which one is OK and which isn't. Find a place where you can get a decent price for an original and stick with that.

I started thinking of where to put something like the ECU where it isn't exposed to the elements and that's no easy task. Pretty much anywhere on a car is exposed to something, somewhere. On the floor, inside the car is bad up here in the north since we drag in snow and salt during the winters. Some Peugeot or Citroen owner found that his car had a major grounding point right next to the throttle pedal. Needless to say, that was rusted to hell and back. Higher up means good backing in warmer climates. The boot means very long wires and possible leaks. It's not an easy task.

The one I have is a proparts DI that I was willing to gamble on at nearly half the price of a new genuine. I haven't had any advanced diagnostics run or anything but it has made the car move for two years within spec enough to get good mileage and not throw any (new) codes. That said if it were to fail tomorrow I'd consider that way too short a life span and would immediately go for a genuine unit.

My favorite weird ecu thing is in the Jaguar XJ-S where the ecu is in the trunk and rather than have a remote sensor feed manifold pressure electronically, it has a rubber hose going all the way to the ecu! :v:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Iskariot posted:

I bought one a few years ago to save cash (it was going into a car I was flipping anyhow). It came with a crazy 10 year warranty, and cost less than a quarter that of a real DI. It worked perfectly fine for several months, and as far as I know still is, 4+ years later. Then again, it was a red top, so maybe T5 is more forgiving. I did inherit a T7 with a crappy aftermarket DI a couple years ago. :shrug:

I'd rather worry about the ECU getting fried by putting it under the seat, or even do something SAABlike and stick it behind the console, than have it bolted to the drat engine- that's outright fucktarded.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

I bought one a few years ago to save cash (it was going into a car I was flipping anyhow). It came with a crazy 10 year warranty, and cost less than a quarter that of a real DI. It worked perfectly fine for several months, and as far as I know still is, 4+ years later. Then again, it was a red top, so maybe T5 is more forgiving. I did inherit a T7 with a crappy aftermarket DI a couple years ago. :shrug:
T5 DIs were a lot simpler and probably more forgiving. The discussions I've seen have been mostly on T7s.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Iskariot posted:

T5 DIs were a lot simpler and probably more forgiving. The discussions I've seen have been mostly on T7s.

I'm relatively certain that I'll eventually need a new DI for the '99 that I haven't gotten to beyond pulling plugs and finding that the gasket is blown between 2 & 3 (of course). #2 is completely clean from the liquid it has been consuming.

I'm curious how many people running them and having issues are using a stock map.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

So, 2006 figured- just not CONFIGURED. The ECU wasn't enjoying the TCM for it's current transmission, so the car was a bit pissed off. I had no idea it wouldn't turn on the big ol' gear warning light if it was improperly coded. (I didn't flash the ECU, so I'm not horribly impressed with that being miscoded with the proper build, ECU, etc readily available.)

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I might have figured out my hard start issue. The cap covering the diagnostic port on the fuel rail was loose and now that I've tightened it down, it seems to have vastly improved my start times.

I'm thinking about just replacing the schrader valve and cap anyways.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

JayKay posted:

I might have figured out my hard start issue. The cap covering the diagnostic port on the fuel rail was loose and now that I've tightened it down, it seems to have vastly improved my start times.

I'm thinking about just replacing the schrader valve and cap anyways.

Not a bad idea. Sorry about being lovely about getting your parts over to ya- I've got stuff on eBay for sale so I can afford shipping. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

Not a bad idea. Sorry about being lovely about getting your parts over to ya- I've got stuff on eBay for sale so I can afford shipping. :v:

Ha no worries. I've had no time to really wrench as of late.

PS: Send me a link to your store.