Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

4 hours of testing.

I once sat in an interview that I was warned "would include extensive technical questions". No problem.

About halfway through I realized they were going step-by-step through some of their projects and were looking for free consultancy work via interview.

"Walk me through upgrading to Exchange 2013 from 2010..." *scribbles furiously* "... uh-huh.. and after you click Migration, you click the... plus... siiign..." *scribbles furiously*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I once sat in an interview that I was warned "would include extensive technical questions". No problem.

About halfway through I realized they were going step-by-step through some of their projects and were looking for free consultancy work via interview.

"Walk me through upgrading to Exchange 2013 from 2010..." *scribbles furiously* "... uh-huh.. and after you click Migration, you click the... plus... siiign..." *scribbles furiously*

That's brilliant :D :D

Boss: we need to save money on the upgrade
Staff A: but we need help and training!
Staff B: what if ...

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

I recently got asked for six months of pay slips.

I've been asked for my completed W2's from the year before. I was shocked and said "absolutely not", which was the end of my candidacy. That was at the headquarters for Create and Barrel where they also made me fill out the same front and back application that the retail employees have to fill out for the role of Senior Systems Engineer.

I flat out refuse to take any assessments at this point in my career. I tell them I am happy to do technical interviews to gauge my expertise, and if my Big10 degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering and Communication are not sufficient to prove that I can do basic logic analysis, and can write effectively, I am not interested.

I know that is :smug: as gently caress, but at the same time, I earned the gently caress out of my degrees at difficult schools, and frankly it's insulting at a senior engineer level to do this poo poo.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Naming and shaming, Yext at 1 Madison Ave in NYC have an office that is more depressing than this: (59s into video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWrjWDQh7Q&t=59s

Only the cafe has a window, everything is a shade of grey, the corridors are quite narrow too.

Each group is in their own room and control full stack of their fiefdom, pretty much zero communication with other groups.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Once you realised what they were doing you should've included a few instructions that would kill their systems when executed, then near the end tell them that job interviews go both ways and as a way to test them you included some errors, and want them to tell you what they were.

Would be nice to see them sweat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Carbon dioxide posted:

Once you realised what they were doing you should've included a few instructions that would kill their systems when executed, then near the end tell them that job interviews go both ways and as a way to test them you included some errors, and want them to tell you what they were.

Would be nice to see them sweat.

...but then you probably wouldn't get the job :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's also possible the technical person that was supposed to sit in on the interview was out or putting out a fire. My last job had the person that was supposed to sit in call in sick because he was a huge flake that would call in sick any time he didn't want to do something. He was the guy that could do no wrong because he was ~senior~ (by all of 3 months). He got handed a stack of notes from HR, did nothing with them for a month, HR asked his opinion of them looked at them for a bit got bored and just said they were all acceptable and shredded them.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lord Dudeguy posted:

spiny posted:

That's brilliant :D :D

Boss: we need to save money on the upgrade
Staff A: but we need help and training!
Staff B: what if ...
Interview be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlwwVuSUUfc

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

...but then you probably wouldn't get the job :(

You probably shouldn't work for a company that is blatantly using an interview as free consulting for a major project.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mayodreams posted:

You probably shouldn't work for a company that is blatantly using an interview as free consulting for a major project.

:thejoke:

They probably won't even be around long enough to do any work for.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Last year for whatever reason I agreed to some skills-based tests online, but not technical skills - Think word games, finding the odd image out of 12 in the quickest possible time etc.

So I did it, and during the interview they were like "Uhhhhhh so it says here your intuitive responsiveness is 8.3, how do you feel about that?" :suicide:

I told them those types of questions should be for a therapists' couch and not a technical job and cut the interview short. Got offered the job anyway though :confused:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Job hunting / selection advice request:

I've been working on a project for staffing company A that spans this week and Monday-Tuesday of election week. I got a 3 month contract from staffing company B that starts Monday. I was going to put in notice on the project with company A today so that they can find someone new before the 7th.

As I was writing my resignation letter from company A, my contact with company A sent me an email with another possible position. It's got more long-term potential, although I'll never trust a contract to be converted. If the contract is longer, I'm interested, because I'll need to be looking pretty soon anyway in case the contract with company B doesn't get extended. I'm not going to drop the sure thing, though. How do I express interest in the new position, while quitting the project, while not seeming like a flaky ship-jumper? I'm especially not sure what to say since the contract is so short that I have to be looking for something new less than halfway through, it puts me in a strange position. Company A has been pretty good to work with in the past, they're responsive and send me stuff pretty regularly.

The contract with company A is a government service desk position, but it includes scripting, command line, and Linux, all of which I want to get into.
The contract with company B is a desktop support position for a hospital/clinic chain.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DrJeckyllTobacco posted:

I told them those types of questions should be for a therapists' couch and not a technical job and cut the interview short. Got offered the job anyway though :confused:

That's because you passed the final test!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

DrJeckyllTobacco posted:

Sounds office spacey.

I don't have any good interview stories. My current job I was interviewed by 4 people, one of them a CCIE. Not a single technical question was asked. CCIE spent the whole 20 minute call talking about himself then said I sound like a great fit for the company.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Welp, company A asked me to finish the project and take days off of my new job even though I gave them plenty of time to find a replacement. I said no, so I guess that's one bridge burned. It really sucks, I liked working with them, but I upheld my side of the bargain.

E: Now she's saying how I didn't commit fully to the project, despite me doing exactly what the recruiter asked. Oh well, if they are that upset over me giving two weeks notice, maybe it's better I don't work with them.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 20, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sepist posted:

Sounds office spacey.

I don't have any good interview stories. My current job I was interviewed by 4 people, one of them a CCIE. Not a single technical question was asked. CCIE spent the whole 20 minute call talking about himself then said I sound like a great fit for the company.

Same thing happened at my last interview. Not a single technical question and a hour of casual conversation.

I thought all hope was lost when the recruiter called me an hour later but told me I got the job.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Same thing happened at my last interview. Not a single technical question and a hour of casual conversation.

I thought all hope was lost when the recruiter called me an hour later but told me I got the job.

The job I have now they asked me all of two technical questions, the rest was just chatting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

As long as the candidate has a decent skillset and knowledge, it's way more important that (s)he fits into the team well.

You can teach people new stuff, changing their personality is somewhat harder :v:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

The job I have now they asked me all of two technical questions, the rest was just chatting.
It's hard to really gauge technical skill in an interview. There are so many variables that aren't factored into dumb specific tech questions. It's important to get a feel for experience, problem solving ability, and team fit. Specific questions aren't really that helpful, beyond a very minimal baseline evaluation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Welp, company A asked me to finish the project and take days off of my new job even though I gave them plenty of time to find a replacement. I said no, so I guess that's one bridge burned. It really sucks, I liked working with them, but I upheld my side of the bargain.

E: Now she's saying how I didn't commit fully to the project, despite me doing exactly what the recruiter asked. Oh well, if they are that upset over me giving two weeks notice, maybe it's better I don't work with them.

Pretty sure you made the right decision here

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. It's a shame since they had actively been keeping in touch, but if you try to guilt trip someone for giving you two weeks, that's lovely. Especially when you specifically asked for two weeks.

E: And hey, this let me grow a bit of a spine. At first I was going to ask my new place, but I couldn't figure out a way to ask that didn't sound lovely and kind of spineless. Then I realized that it was actually spineless, they would be paying me less, and I would have to work 7 until 8-9 PM on election day rather than doing 8-5 and going home to get drunk and shut out the outside world. So I said no.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 21, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I had a interview with canonical where it was me and the interviewer arguing for 30 minutes. When they told me it went well and they wanted to progress to an offer I declined because there was no way I could work with that jackass. He was fired 2 weeks later. I guess they realized he was an idiot after I brought it to their attention.

Still wouldn't work there. gently caress upstart and unity. gently caress charms too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I used to have a list of technical questions six pages long for engineering positions. Nowadays I mostly ask a handful of very open-ended, creative problem-solving questions and let the candidate shine or hang themselves with however much rope they brought to the interview. The people I've worked with who impressed me most generally never had much domain-specific knowledge when they were hired anyway.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I like why are there only 13 root name servers. But that's more of a programmer question.

mewse
May 2, 2006

jaegerx posted:

I like why are there only 13 root name servers. But that's more of a programmer question.

More than 13 wouldn't work with ROT13 obviously

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Aren't there a whole bunch using anycast addresses?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

I used to have a list of technical questions six pages long for engineering positions. Nowadays I mostly ask a handful of very open-ended, creative problem-solving questions and let the candidate shine or hang themselves with however much rope they brought to the interview. The people I've worked with who impressed me most generally never had much domain-specific knowledge when they were hired anyway.

Yup. I was hiring for a help desk position recently and would pretend to be a customer who couldn't connect to wifi. There's no right answer - I have the candidates keep going til they run out of ways to try and resolve the issue. One guy was... not great.

'I call. My wifi isn't working. Can you help?'

:smug: 'I'm escalating this call to the network team'

'Okay... there is no network team. Pretend you have to help me without support from anyone else'

:smug: 'nope'

:confused:

He... didn't get the job. Of course it might be a lovely scenario cause the guy that did best and we hired is terrible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

milk milk lemonade posted:

Yup. I was hiring for a help desk position recently and would pretend to be a customer who couldn't connect to wifi. There's no right answer - I have the candidates keep going til they run out of ways to try and resolve the issue. One guy was... not great.

'I call. My wifi isn't working. Can you help?'

:smug: 'I'm escalating this call to the network team'

'Okay... there is no network team. Pretend you have to help me without support from anyone else'

:smug: 'nope'

:confused:

He... didn't get the job. Of course it might be a lovely scenario cause the guy that did best and we hired is terrible.

Lol that guy owns. "Why should I fix *your* problem?"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh yea..that reminds me of a stupid loving question I got. I was interviewed by a bunch of guys of varying levels and one guy ran his "favorite question" by me.

He asked how I would troubleshoot network slowness on one users desktop. It went like this:

Me: Is this a thin-client?
One guy: No, regular desktop.
Me: Is just internet slow, or are applications slow?
One guy: Everything is slow
Two guy: Including notepad
Me: Okay, well if it's not a thin client and notepad is slow it's probably PC related, so I would check task manager and see if any processes are eating up all the resources
One guy: No that's not right, what about the network, what would you do to fix it from a network standpoint
Me: ??????

After some back and forth it turns out they wanted me to diagnose a duplex mismatch on the users switchport but I have no loving idea why notepad would be slow on a regular desktop because of a duplex setting.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
On the flipside, the best question I was ever asked (and now ask myself) was:

"How do you feel about printers?"

It's a great way to gauge IT experience!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Colonial Air Force posted:

:laffo:

Pretty much any experienced IT professional will have a negative response to that question. I'm totally stealing that too.

Tell me about your experience with Konica-Minolta copiers.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

milk milk lemonade posted:

Please tell me he was smited on the spot, I know I've posted this before but one interviewer straight up told me if I don't ask him for admin creds at any point it's a total fail.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

mayodreams posted:

Tell me about your experience with Konica-Minolta copiers.

Way too much since I work for a KM dealer. Unrelated to that, tonight is going to be tequila night :v:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

Hm, yes, I like this one. Stealing this as well

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

One interview I had included a section where the interviewer went through my resume asking me small questions about various things until he finally got what he wanted: he asked me a simple question about dealing with some piece of software and I sighed and said I hated working with it. Then we got really in detail while I broke down all of the different reasons that particular piece of software was a failure and what the better alternatives are and why. Apparently he wanted me to have some strong opinions about technical aspects of something. I ended up getting the job even though it was one of he weirdest interviews I've ever had.

Cut to the first week and I'm in orientation. I'm meeting a bunch if new people that were hired for the same project and one of the guys on my team goes "I had the weirdest interview ever...."

Turns out he spent his entire interview railing against Oracle.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Llab posted:

Way too much since I work for a KM dealer. Unrelated to that, tonight is going to be tequila night :v:

The last couple of years have been fine, but probably 2010-2012 was a NIGHTMARE for supporting Macs using them. KM wouldn't update the drivers for the new MacOS (probably Lion/ML) and we got new Macs that couldn't be back rev'd. We literally had to shelve like 30+ replacements until the drivers were updated, and ended up dropping KM after that for Canon.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

we have KMs in our district, and our 10.11 macs need to have drivers rolled back to a much earlier version, otherwise their retrieved print jobs are just error messages. whee!

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 21, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Walked posted:

Hm, yes, I like this one. Stealing this as well
I steal so much from this thread. I'm yoinking the printers question, as well as Misogynist's line about "hang themselves with however much rope they brought", which is a great turn of phrase.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I dunno, I'd fear for my personal safety if I asked a truly great candidate to be honest about their feeling on printers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There's value in gauging a candidates general approach to fixing problems but if they say they're well versed with Windows Server I'm going ask them about such.