Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I, Butthole posted:

Sorry for the dumb joke but yes I know that Anno was not referencing Emmerich's 98 Godzilla with the final shot

Now let us never speak of 98 Zilla again.

I actually kinda liked the most likely unintentional reversal from 98 where the monster's name was introduced as Godzilla, then transliterated into Gojira, rather than the other way around in 98.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I still haven't quite wrapped my head around the fact that there was a Godzilla movie in 2016 where one entire scene was done in a single shot, from the point-of-view of a MacBook.

This movie ruled.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

K. Waste posted:

I still haven't quite wrapped my head around the fact that there was a Godzilla movie in 2016 where one entire scene was done in a single shot, from the point-of-view of a MacBook.

This movie ruled.

From the POV of a MacBook with little Evangelion angle runes floating around; no less.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah so where can I buy this?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I think this was as close to my personal platonic ideal of a Godzilla movie as I'm ever going to get. Not perfect by any means, but definitely a high point for the genre. And I'm still thoroughly creeped out a day later, which is just cool as heck. Monster movies SHOULD be disturbing, dammit.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
This was like watching an Evangelion episode. Minus Evas but still with Angels. Right down to the Angel sitting around doing nothing while the characters are on a serious time crunch.

OMG this was so good.

I took my 7 year old daughter who couldn't read the subtitles fast enough and she still loved it. Her and I both went "...what?!?!" when G whipped out the eventual fire breath that morphed to a freakin LASER Both our jaws stayed slack when the scene was over.

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 20, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Guys, there's a scene in this movie with no major characters and instead just a bunch of interns setting up a conference room, and one of central shots is from the point of view of a swivel chair.

This movie loving rules.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Guys, there's a scene in this movie with no major characters and instead just a bunch of interns setting up a conference room, and one of central shots is from the point of view of a swivel chair.

This movie loving rules.

There's a scene in this movie where an underwater tunnel is being evacuated and someone is streaming it on Nico Nico Douga.

This movie kinda rules.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Sorry for the dumb joke but yes I know that Anno was not referencing Emmerich's 98 Godzilla with the final shot

Now let us never speak of 98 Zilla again.

You're kidding yourself if you think G98 is even close to being the worst one when this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uICJrR7HRE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love Zilla's appearance in Final Wars where it's summoned by an alien to the buttest of rock and gets whomped by Godzilla all in the span of a minute and that's its entire appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

Also did I mention that Zilla is intentionally bad CGI because it really puts a ribbon on this scene.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 20, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Best use of Zilla is in the Godzilla: Rulers of Earth comic from IDW. It's a Destroy All Monsters style plot, Godzilla and Zilla fight at one point- Godzilla wins but it's an actual fight and kinda fun, and later Zilla gets to be one of the good guys.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There's a bit early on where they're setting up the crisis center and lining up rows of printers and copiers, which reminded me of nothing so much as rows of tanks being lined up to ineffectively plink away at the unstoppable threat. Granted I was high as poo poo at the time, but that was the point when I decided that this movie was going to be something special.

And the tension, oh my god. I haven't felt such an overpowering and relentless sense of "everything's hosed" from a movie since, I dunno, Aliens?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BattleTech posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think G98 is even close to being the worst one when this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uICJrR7HRE

Counterpoint: Godzilla '98 is literally twice as long as Godzilla's Revenge. And all things being equal, i'd still rather watch Godzilla's Revenge twice than Godzilla '98 once.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BattleTech posted:

Before I click this I'm going to guess it's from Godzilla's revenge.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Godzilla's Revenge is an interesting movie. It was made for the first Champion Festival, which was a series of films for kids with (I believe) a lower price of admission, and I think they even showed some Ultraman episodes (which was a big deal in the first few years because while Ultraman was a popular show not many households had color TVs.) This was to offset already dwindling attendance for Japanese movies. So it was a deliberate choice to make it less of a proper monster movie and more a child's fantasy. Tsubaraya was dying so the SFX department was a little rudderless (he's in the credits out of respect and because of all the recycled footage), but the main story is a bit of a commentary on the increasing issue of latchkey children in Japan, which was down to economic pressures making for more households where both parents worked.

The real worst one is vs. Megalon, which was originally going to just star Jet Jaguar (who was the winning entry in a Toho create-a-monster contest for kids), so it's mostly a henshin story with Godzilla showing up. And of course by this point the budget had gotten threadbare and so you have one good "destruction" sequence, lots of recycled footage, a human story with like five characters, and a big drawn out fight scene on an empty field which still manages to recycle stuff from the last movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as annoying as Minya is, I think Godzilla's Revenge is kinda fun actually. It's just so batshit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I haven't seen this yet, but I watched The X From Outer Space with my 2 year old the other day and now he's breaking his toys and blaming it on Guilala. If this little kaiju flick resurgence continues, X From Outer Space should get a modern remake that's a cross between 2001 and Shin Godzilla.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Counterpoint: Godzilla '98 is literally twice as long as Godzilla's Revenge. And all things being equal, i'd still rather watch Godzilla's Revenge twice than Godzilla '98 once.

Absolutely. There's nothing even remotely entertaining in Godzilla '98.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I haven't seen this yet, but I watched The X From Outer Space with my 2 year old the other day and now he's breaking his toys and blaming it on Guilala. If this little kaiju flick resurgence continues, X From Outer Space should get a modern remake that's a cross between 2001 and Shin Godzilla.

X From Outer Space loving rules.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Godzilla 98 has Jean Reno and a cool monster design. Also I like the score and the photography quite a bit (for all Emmerich's faults he tends to get good visuals.) It's a film that desperately needs more editing but it has a place in my heart.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

DeimosRising posted:

Absolutely. There's nothing even remotely entertaining in Godzilla '98.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I watched The X from Outer Space last night, too, and there are a lot of pretty overt parallels to Shin Gojira. Right down to the monster that progressively adapts to attempts to destroy it, ultimately can't be destroyed, and the implied paternalistic relationship between the U.S. and Japan.

The scene where the white scientist expresses on behalf of the U.S. that they would never dream of dropping another atomic bomb on Japan, before he and the Japanese scientist look away from each other mournfully, is contrasted so sharply with the entire geopolitical scheme of Shin Gojira. Anno talked in that article about the 'infantilization' of Japanese capitalist society, and it's hard not to interpret The X from Outer Space as basically the prototypical, 'infantile' version of what Shin Gojira is satirizing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah it was killer. Last time I saw it was on VHS and I was a little kid, I was kind of expecting it to be a boring cheapo Godzilla knock off but it's not like that at all. It's fun the whole time, never sells itself out, and the monster design is great. Those weird fucken shoulders!

K. Waste posted:

The scene where the white scientist expresses on behalf of the U.S. that they would never dream of dropping another atomic bomb on Japan, before he and the Japanese scientist look away from each other mournfully, is contrasted so sharply with the entire geopolitical scheme of Shin Gojira. Anno talked in that article about the 'infantilization' of Japanese capitalist society, and it's hard not to interpret The X from Outer Space as basically the prototypical, 'infantile' version of what Shin Gojira is satirizing.

What I like there is that the Japanese guy seems far less put off by the idea, he says that "our allies" object to the idea of nuking Japan again, "especially the US". It really kind of sells the US as a guilty, abusive parent, while the kid is used to it at this point.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 20, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Gonna go see this in a little bit. Super Excited. I'm not a huge Godzilla fan but this really seems like it's good?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This movie felt pretty densely packed and my attention lapsed from the subs more than once, so can anyone tell me whether or not Goro Maki was said or implied to have been responsible for Godzilla's awakening?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DeimosRising posted:

I haven't watched it, but the guy who made The Calimari Wrestler, and a bunch of other whackadoo films made The Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit, which is exactly political satire and bureaucracy meets Guilala...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bimmi posted:

This movie felt pretty densely packed and my attention lapsed from the subs more than once, so can anyone tell me whether or not Goro Maki was said or implied to have been responsible for Godzilla's awakening?

I wouldn't be too surprised if there was something implying to that effect that got lost in translation but no he's pretty much just this mysteriously convenient deus ex machina

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bimmi posted:

platonic ideal of a Godzilla movie

The Form of the Goodzilla.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I enjoyed the film first Japanese Godzilla Film I've seen. I have may have missed some subtext but I can see where people would be critical of the nationalistic , fascist, antiglobalism message this film kind of has.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hollismason posted:

I enjoyed the film first Japanese Godzilla Film I've seen. I have may have missed some subtext but I can see where people would be critical of the nationalistic , fascist, antiglobalism message this film kind of has.

Godzilla is only defeated through the cooperation of several nations, including Germany, France and America. How is that antiglobalist?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Godzilla is only defeated through the cooperation of several nations, including Germany, France and America. How is that antiglobalist?

They literally say that the UN Security Council took the power away from Japan and then decided they were going to nuke the city, did you miss that? Also, the USA loving bailed and most likely caused or at least contributed directly to Godzilla. It was pretty heavy handed. They literally showed pictures of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Like it was all that one woman's plan because she literally went against the USA wishes. That's why the guy is like " Oh if you gently caress this up it's going to totally ruin your career" and they she is all " gently caress that my Grandmother was at Hiroshima, My Ancient Homeland! It was only when all the Japanese companies pulled together. I mean the US team even just bailed the gently caress out and obviously knew what was going on and it's implied they hid it because it may be a source of energy . Like the USA and Japan do not "stand together " in that film. The Japanese American woman feels the call of her homeland and instead helps Japan.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What's he saying?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

They literally say that the UN Security Council took the power away from Japan and then decided they were going to nuke the city, did you miss that? Also, the USA loving bailed and most likely caused or at least contributed directly to Godzilla. It was pretty heavy handed. They literally showed pictures of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Like it was all that one woman's plan because she literally went against the USA wishes. That's why the guy is like " Oh if you gently caress this up it's going to totally ruin your career" and they she is all " gently caress that my Grandmother was at Hiroshima, My Ancient Homeland! It was only when all the Japanese companies pulled together. I mean the US team even just bailed the gently caress out and obviously knew what was going on and it's implied they hid it because it may be a source of energy . Like the USA and Japan do not "stand together " in that film. The Japanese American woman feels the call of her homeland and instead helps Japan.

You, ah, missed a scene when you went out to get popcorn. Also, the US is not the be-all end-all of globalization.

david_a posted:

What's he saying?

Idk Japanese well enough to say. The lower panel has him saying "kefutsu", which is either onomatopoeia or too slangy for google translate to get, and I don't read kanji well enough to even begin with the first panel.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're in luck, there's no kanji in the first panel. That's hiragana. It says "unme". The second panel is in katakana and says "deffu".

I think it's just sounds, nothing of meaning, just Gorija sounds.

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 21, 2016

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
うんめー (umme). "Yummy"

ゲフッ (geffu) "Barf"

This was the first time since I was ten that I saw a Godzilla film in a movie theater. I'm bilingual but I like to follow along with the subs; the dialog was so rapid-fire that I gave up reading the subs after the first 15 minutes!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It seemed about as nationalist as Independence Day. Lip service to international cooperation but you always know who the "real" heroes are.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

It seemed about as nationalist as Independence Day. Lip service to international cooperation but you always know who the "real" heroes are.

Chemical plant workers?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hollismason posted:

Like it was all that one woman's plan because she literally went against the USA wishes. That's why the guy is like " Oh if you gently caress this up it's going to totally ruin your career" and they she is all " gently caress that my Grandmother was at Hiroshima, My Ancient Homeland! It was only when all the Japanese companies pulled together. I mean the US team even just bailed the gently caress out and obviously knew what was going on and it's implied they hid it because it may be a source of energy . Like the USA and Japan do not "stand together " in that film. The Japanese American woman feels the call of her homeland and instead helps Japan.

She didn't go against the American government's wishes--she went against the American public's wishes. She didn't choose to help her "Ancient Homeland" at the expense of America, she chose to take what she felt was the most responsible action as an American politician rather than the politically safe one. The American President actually backs her decision.

The US also doesn't bail, they contribute needed supplies and operatives. The US absolutely stands together with Japan in their effort to stop Godzilla. The US doesn't actually want to nuke Tokyo, but as Godzilla is a global threat they maintain that final resort.

The film isn't about Japan telling the UN and America to gently caress off--it's about Japan moving past a dependence on the US and taking a role (and accepting responsibility) as an political partner.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Absolutely, it's all the Germans who bravely overcome their fear of having their data stolen.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 21, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I find it funny that it's serious computer girl that fanart seems to have latched onto for the goofy stuff.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I find it funny that it's serious computer girl that fanart seems to have latched onto for the goofy stuff.

She does make a good foil for the goofy, googly-eyed babyzilla. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
People who know Japanese: what's the deal with the title? Layman wiki'ing seems to indicate that the "shin" is phonetic (or a given name? I don't know how this works)

Regardless, I'm amazed that absolutely no one in America seems to be interested in why this one is called Shin Godzilla or even what it means. If the Shin is really just a huge superpun then lol, rad:

wikipedia posted:

Shin can be written using different kanji characters and can mean:

真, "true"
伸, "extend"
新, "new"
心, "heart"
信, "belief"
進, "progress"
慎, "humility"
晋, "advance"
紳, "gentleman"