Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oren's LP left off during the trial of Chapter 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Having recently watched Deadpool, I jive with this idea.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

FPzero posted:

The best I could think of is a separate betting pool for those people who read the first LP and haven't seen anything past what orenronen got to (which I think was Chapter 3 but I don't know if it was Daily or Deadly life).

Orenronen's final update was just before the third trial started. As in, the next update would have been the first trial update.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

BlazeEmblem posted:

Orenronen's final update was just before the third trial started. As in, the next update would have been the first trial update.

If I remember things correctly, we were close to that point when news of the official western release came out, so we decided on that as an ending point so the thread won't stop at a completely random spot.

(Thank god the news didn't come a couple of weeks later, because trials were hell to record and translate)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright thanks for the point of reference. Hmm... I'm not worried about a second pool being extra workload because honestly, it's not that difficult to set up a simple table like the one that's already been made. Let me think about it a little more and I'll make a decision either before or after posting the next update.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I started filling in then realised that I don't remember who everybody is and put it off until later. Will go on today.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

As I raised my head from the e-Handbook with a heavy sigh... I saw the dark courtyard of the hotel. I sat on the bench, paralyzed with thought.

: Is he...really going to make us do this...?

There was no way I could believe that this was now my reality. Even so...this was undeniably real.

No matter how much I didn't want to believe it, the moment I experienced and felt it for myself... It became undeniably real.

This...is a reality that could not be more different from my usual daily life. School, studying, exams, job hunting, going for walks, going to school, riding the train, lectures... That kind of daily life...is no longer mine.

: ...

As I looked up, I saw stars glimmering in the night, covering the sky like a sheet. They looked as if they were about to fall into my hands like fluttering snow... For the first time since I arrived at this island, instead of the night sky I'd grown accustomed to... I saw a night sky that was far too beautiful... As I stared blankly into that night sky, I suddenly imagined those words in my mind.

"The student who murders their classmate will be able to leave this island..."

When we were forced to hear those words, we just stood there silently. Nobody said a word, and eventually... Everyone scattered and vanished.

And it led straight on to the first night. A night so beautiful it enchanted me...

And yet, my heart was horribly upset. That kind of beauty was definitely...far different than my usual daily life.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... It is now 10:00 p.m. Nighttime can be confusing... If you're out at night and accidentally meet a killer, then it sucks to be you! But if you're worried about that and can't sleep, I've prepared a cottage on the hotel grounds for each of you. Every single one of you, please feel free to rest in your own rooms. However, before you go to bed, I strongly recommend you lock your doors. You never know who might be planning to kill you! Puhuhu! Bye-byeeeee!

drat...that's ominous...

: ...A cottage, huh...

: We briefly gain control here so that we can find our way to our room for the first time.

: If you'll remember, we have a map of the hotel area. Hajime's cabin is right near the entrance.

: ...drat it!

As soon as I entered the cottage, I collapsed onto the bed.

: ...What the hell!?

As I screamed silently to myself, I buried my head in my arms. I didn't want to see anyone anymore. I just wanted to be alone forever...

I have nobody I can trust... Because, even if I wanted to trust them...I don't know anything about them yet. The only person I can trust is myself...

No, even I don't believe that. In truth, after I was forced to hear that dumb rule, "You can't leave unless you kill someone"... I realized there's a part of me that really wants to get off this island...

And, at that moment... I let out a scream.

: AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

A scream erupted from my mouth.

It rushed from my mouth like water from a collapsed drat.

Why...me...!? Why...do I have to go through with this...!?

: AAAAAaaaaahhhhh...

I began to lose my voice, and it faded entirely not long after. What followed...was silence.

No, not complete silence. I heard the faint sound of crashing waves in the distance. As if the waves were murmuring into my ears, "This is no longer the world you knew..." And once again, I buried my head in my arms.

Why am I here? What am I doing here?

I forced my eyes shut. I wasn't tired or anything, but...I just wanted to sleep, if only for a short while. I wanted to put an end to it all. And if, by chance, I managed to wake up the next day... It would be awesome if I was back to my normal life.

With these meager expectations, I fell into a light sleep...

: Ahem... To those of you who purchased "Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair"... Thank you very much. To those of you who are borrowing "Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair" from a friend... You always risk losing friends when you borrow their things, so you should buy your own copy just to be safe.
: And to those of you reading a Let's Play of "Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair"... I hope you're enjoying it so far.
: Now then, it's been a while since the main story started... So I'll give the keynote address right now! From now on, I promise you'll be charmed by this world! It genuinely deserves to be called a true game! So...make sure you get excited, and immerse yourself in the heart-throbbing action to your heart's content!
: Now then, until the very end, please enjoy this game to the fullest.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Ahem... Hope's Peak Academy's School Trip Executive Committee has an announcement to make... Gooooood morning, everyone! Looks like today is gonna be another perfect, tropical day! Now then, let's show some enthusiasm and make sure to give it our all today!

: ... ...So...it definitely wasn't a dream after all...

I was forced to acknowledged that yet again...which put me in a bad mood from the get-go.

: I guess for now...I should go outside...

: No, no, no! You're not allowed to go out!
: M-Monokuma!? Why are you here!?
: Hey now, don't be so worried. I'm here for fun reasons!
: Fun reasons...?
: I want you to find my stuffed animals.
: I got ahead of myself and made too many.

: But I thought it'd be a waste to just throw 'em away so...I've hidden them all over the island.
: They're scattered all over various areas, so you just go right ahead and look for them all!
: Wh-Why do I have to do something like that!?
: Cuz I said so! You can't say no! I've already hidden one of 'em in this room, and I won't let you out until you find it!
: Gooooood luck! *leaves*
: Dammit... That selfish stuffed animal...!

: So before we start looking for this hidden stuffed animal, let's have a quick look at our e-Handbook. This is the first opportunity we've had to look over everyone's Report Cards.

: The Report Card screen gives you a general overview of everyone's Hope Fragment progress.

: Each individual student's page gives various details about each of them. New to this game are Likes and Dislikes for each student. In Hajime's case, Kusamochi and Sakuramochi are two different types of Japanese sweets.

: Hajime's page is unique in that it also has a few gameplay statistics on it such as our Level, EXP, Influence (HP) and Focus (Concentration ability). It also tells us our current SP. And yes, had I taken one more step I would've hit Level 7.

: You can also equip skills through a separate page on Hajime's card instead of only being able to do it in the Trials as the first game did. As you can see, we have none currently. Where do we get skills from? I'll get to that in a moment.
: Before that, here are the Report Cards for everyone else:

: So where do you get skills? Just click this Usami icon.

: Danganronpa 2 makes the majority of skill acquisition nice and painless. Those Hope Fragments that we collected during out introductions? They're essentially a currency that we can spend on any skill we want which eliminates the hassle of practical and useful skills being locked behind Free Time Events as they were in the first game.

: This actually allows first-time players to get the skills that are helpful to first-time players without getting lucky and happening to pursue someone's Free Time Events all the way to the 4th or 5th event.
: In addition to the 20 or so skills in Usami's shop, there's incentive to get all of the Hope Fragments from someone: When you get all six, you receive a unique skill from that person as a reward.
: I haven't decided what I want to buy yet but I wouldn't be surprised if I have a similar skill loadout to what I had during the first Danganronpa LP. I'll be taking care of skill purchases offscreen. When a trial comes around, I'll be sure to detail what skills I've bought and equipped.

: Back to the game. We need to find this stuffed animal. Let's begin by looking around the room.

This bed...is pretty comfortable...

Monokuma contacts us through these monitors... I really want to break it, but who knows what would happen if I did that...

: I guess...I gotta leave it alone...

This room has a lot of windows... They probably wanted it to feel tropical and open. Well, this isn't really the time to be grateful for that...

What is this...? It looks like a shelf... I feel like I shouldn't put anything here...

There's a room for showering beyond this point. It's pretty large and it looks easy to use, but I've never really felt comfortable showering.

: Well, it's this kind of situation after all...

Wherever I go...there are surveillance cameras all over the place. It pisses me off to think I'm being watched by a lunatic... But there's nothing I can do about it...

: I think we've found it.

: Just to make it a challenge, Hidden Monokumas do not show up through Observation.

: Every Hidden Monokuma gives you 10 Monocoins.

: Good job! I've also left you some Monocoins! I'm so generous!
: These coins can be exchanged for fabulous items at the beach and the Rocketpunch Market. I've also hidden the stuffed animals in other places too, so do your best and look for them!
: If you find them all... Surprise! Surprise! *leaves*
: I'm not actually sure what the surprise is for collecting them all. I didn't manage to find them all on my previous playthroughs. I could look up the reward but I think I'll just find out when we get there. I'm gonna make sure to get them this time!

Wh-What...!?

: Never mind...I should just go.

This is where the Monokuma plushies are placed... Putting stuff like this here without my permission...

: Alright, let's get out of here.

: AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!
: Uwah!
: ...Oh, it's just you. Don't scare me like that.
: I-I could say the same for you...!

: B-By the way...did you see them?
: Ahhh man...not good... What the hell are they...? Definitely not good...!
: Wh-What are you talking about...?
: The bridge, you know... Remember that bridge at the central island?
: Did something...happen to it?
: No poo poo! Why the hell else would I be here!?
: Th-Those monsters are in f-front of the bridges... They're...they're blocking them off...

: They're not monsters. They're Monobeasts.
: OH MY GOD IT'S HEREEEEEEEE!
: The Monobeasts are the guardians of Jabberwock Island. They're making sure you guys don't think about ignoring the progression by going to the other islands. *leaves*
: ...If those monsters are his gatekeepers...it's better if I don't get close to them.

: Ugh...so annoying...I can't stand this anymore...
: H-Hey! Get a grip...! Your face is...getting weird...
: I can't... There's no way I can get a grip. We're gonna get eaten by monsters. There's no way I can enjoy vacationing here now...

: Hey, what's with all the noise?
: AAAAHHHH! ANOTHER M-M-M-M-MONSTER!
: And I came all the way here to get you both, but if you're going to call me a monster...
: ...Eh? You're here to get us?
: I was told to come get you because we kept waiting and you two never showed up... Everyone is waiting at the hotel restaurant...hurry up and join us. *leaves*

: Everyone's waiting at the restaurant?
: Ugh... Whatever, man...I don't care...I don't care at all...
: I-I'M OUTTA HEREEEEEE! *leaves*
: H-Hey! Where are you going!?

...That's what I tried to say, but Kazuichi sprinted away like lightning.

: ...I guess I'll head over to the restaurant.

: Generally in the mornings we can find a few people around the pool. Today, though, everyone's in the restaurant.

: Now, there's an entrance into the restaurant from this pool area but it's generally a good idea to go in through the lobby.

: See, you can usually find one Ultimate Gamer hanging out at the arcade machines every morning...

: Huh? I thought everyone was waiting at the restaurant?
: I thought I'd get some gaming in until everyone else arrived...
: But...I guess I should get going, too. *leaves*

Playing video games all morning, huh... She truly is the Ultimate Gamer...

: Next time, the restaurant meeting.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 4, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright I've made a decision. There will be a Spoiler Betting Pool for those people who followed the original LP and would like to try and guess who survives the rest of the game from Trial 3 onwards.

:siren: Do not click this link if you were not someone who read the original LP because it spoils who dies up to Trial 3!!! (Link is inside the spoiler) :siren:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18ta7qUka9eoC8MEcRaFLVOnB5RS3bqaQJmFPqUjTC1A/edit#gid=0

The rules and prize will be the same but when the LP is over I will draw from both pools separately. You don't have to worry that I'm going to combine them together and accidentally give someone in the Spoiler Pool an unfair advantage by virtue of them having to guess fewer characters. You'll be able to find the link to this Pool in the OP in the same section as the other one.

Good luck with your predictions!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a competition we could do for those who have played the game, but outside of trying to gauge how the thread will react to certain plot beats, I can't see anything that would actually work.

Spoiler for the previous lp betting pool It looks like you are missing Usami from the list

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I didn't see the original LP, but I am by coincidence at exactly the point it ended at. It must be a sign, or something.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I have beaten the game, so I will sadly sit out on all that fun, but the betting pools are very interesting to read through! Good luck everyone~! :cheers:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: You're late, Hajime...and where is Kazuichi? I thought you were together.
: He...ran off somewhere.
: Huh? Where?
: Well...he pretty much said he was...running away, but...
: Running...but where?
: There's nowhere *to* run anyway. What a weirdo.

: However, after what we witnessed yesterday, his behavior is understandable.
: Eh? What do you mean? Did something happen yesterday...? I don't remember anything happening. And even if I did, it looked totally fake anyway.
: Yep yep, not worth remembering at all.

It'd be a lot easier to deal with all this if I could just deny it outright like that...

: So? Why have you gathered us here?
: Not yet...not until Kazuichi arrives.
: Ah, wait a sec... That means the reason you told us to come here is...
: Oui! Apparently Monsieur Byakuya has something to tell us!
: Really? What?

: Obviously, we're here to discuss our strategy for defeatin' that monster!
: Th-There's no way we can fight that thing... I mean...it has heavy weapons and everything!
: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH A FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
: A bold boast... However, let me give you some advice.

: The truly strong...do not raise their voice so recklessly.
: Hey, hey! Let's start talking already!
: Hmph... This is probably some lame attempt to make us feel better or something...
: Don't make me repeat myself... When everyone is here, then we can start talking.
: Aw, jeez! Fine! I'll just bring Kazuichi myself, then! Everyone wait here! I'll find him and bring him here, even if I have to tie him up! *leaves*

: Mmhmhm...I'm s little jealous now. Getting tied up by Miss Mahiru...
: Maybe I should run away, too... JUST KIDDING!
: Disgusting moron...
: Now then...let's have breakfast while we wait for everyone.

: Let's eat!

The moment he said that, he started wolfing down the pile of food in front of him...

: Um, where did that food come from anyway?
: When I arrived this morning, it was already here.

: Ah, they even have crab and shrimp!?
: Crab and shrimp are such a pain to eat. I hate them as much as I hate Mikan's ugly, stuttering face.
: M-My ugly, st-stuttering face...?
: That's it! That's the face right there!
: Wh-Why...are you being so mean!?
: Heh, heh, heh... You're the kind of girl that bullies just *love* to torment, aren't you?
: You should stop now.

: Ah, I got it! Teruteru prepared this food, right?
: Mmhmhm... Unfortunately, it wasn't me.
: You see...the food I make doesn't taste as lovely as this does.
: This is bad? Tastes yummy to me.
: *Just* yummy...right? Compared to the world class dishes I make, a dish that tastes "yummy" would still be considered poo poo...

: In fact, even comparing them is out of the question! Comparing MY dishes to this lowly peasant food, how rude!
: H-Hey... Don't take it so personally...
: I'm just saying, if you guys ate my food, you wouldn't be able to control yourself.
: What does that mean...?

: Well, let's just say your jaw wouldn't be the only thing that drops!
: In fact, your panties would drop, too! Like the black thong Miss Peko is wearing, for example!
: You creep! How do you know about that!?

H-He guessed correctly...?

: *heavy sigh*

: However, if Teruteru did not prepare this food, then the one who did is...
: Could it have been Monokuma!?
: ...Is it safe to eat food cooked by something like that?
: That's why I'm tasting it for poison, to make sure it's safe for consumption.

But you don't need to eat that much to check it for poison...

: Okay, thanks for waiting! I brought him!
: Hey, straighten up a little more! Shouldn't a man like you be embarrassed to walk like that?
: St-Stop...don't pull... You're gonna rip my sleeves...
: Kyahaha! Even though you look all flashy, you're actually a big coward!
: Are you gonna be okaaaay? People like you are usually the first victim, you know?
: I-I just wanna go home alreadyyyyyyy!

Music cuts out.

*CRASH! CLATTER BOOM!*

Female Voice: AAAAAAH!

: What the...!?

: Ohhh...no no no no no! I-I-I tripped!
: C-Can you even call that tripping?
: How in the world did you end up in such a...compromising position after tripping!?
: Well, it certainly makes me happy! I'm veeeeery happy right now!
: Noooooooo! I'm so embarrassed! P-Please help me!
: Awwwwww! She looks so adorable when she's embarrassed! It's sooooo moe, I'm practically snorting with joy!
: W-We should help her up!

: M-Mikan...are you okay?
: Ugh... My head is throbbing a little, but I'm okay...

Your head's...definitely not okay.

: She's beyond being just a clumsy girl. That fall of hers was like a magic trick or something...

: Anyway...everybody's here now, right? Then let's get going...
: Since...I'm getting sleepy.
: You're right... Though I am not quite ready to stop eating breakfast, I should begin my talk.

So, it's finally starting... That took waaaay too long...

: Once again, we can talk to everyone before talking with Byakuya to get extra conversations. The only conversation worth showing this time is with Akane.

: ...Can I listen while I eat?
: No.
: But I got all this food on my plate!
: Hmph...
: What the hell is he scoffing about...?

: Such a cluttered, vulgar way of piling food. There's no semblance of theme or principle on this plate...
: But most importantly...do you honestly think *that* is a large pile of food?
: Wh-What'd ya say!?

: Let me say this... Do not even think about copying what I do. This much food is beyond you lowly peasants... I'm the only one who could possibly eat this much food, for I've overcome the hardships of the past...

The hardships of the past...? With his confident attitude, it doesn't suit him at all to talk about stuff like hardships.

: Hey, I can't just ignore somethin' like that!

: Akane, you shouldn't... If you attempt an eating competition, you'll ruin that perfect figure of yours!
: Why you... Do you have any idea how much money I spent sculpting my physique?
: Are you telling me I need to lose weight!?

What are these guys even fighting about?

: Let's get on with it.

: First, I have a question for you all. That Monokuma thing ordered us to kill each other... So under these strange circumstances, what do you think we need right now?
: Tch, who the gently caress knows? Get to the point already.
: If you want me to get to the point, you better hurry up and answer my question.

: What do we need? We need food and sleep, obviously. Right?
: No...you've forgotten about making GBS threads...
: Which means the answers are: a good appetite, a good night's sleep, and a good poo poo!!!
: ...Does anyone have a real answer?

: Could it be...a bond?
: Bond...?
: This is what I believe... As long as the Ultimates work together, there's nothing we can't accomplish...

: You'll all be able to create a hope that can overcome any despair. That's why...if we want to escape this island, we need to promise each other that we'll work together!
: Wow, he said that with a straight face! How is he not embarrassed?
: Ah...just as I figured. That was kinda lame, huh?
: However, he does have a point. That must be why Monokuma is enforcing a rule that will cause us to be suspicious of each other.

: I see... That was a pretty good answer. Since it's impossible to face our enemy as individuals under these circumstances, we must fight as a group...
: However, what we need to achieve that solidarity is not something as easygoing and optimistic as a..."bond."
: Then...what?

: What we need right now is a disciplined leadership, provided by an unmistakable leader!
: I see... Even sports teams need captains, after all...
: Rejoice. I shall accept the position.
: ...Huh?
: Now then, I'll wrap up this introduction, and let's move on to the main question.

: Wait just a second!
: ...What is it?
: Wh-What did you just say...? I don't care how you excuse it, you're being too forceful! Deciding to be the leader all on your own...and why does it have to be you, anyway!?
: Who is more fit to lead other than me? I am the Ultimate Affluent Progeny of the Togami household, destined to stand above all others.
: S-Seriously! I'm telling you that attitude of yours is too forceful!
: ...Mahiru, please wait. It's true that Byakuya may be a little forceful, but given our current situation... I believe it's a leader's duty, under circumstances like this, to be forceful to a certain degree...

: That may be true, but...if we just need someone who can lead people, then even Sonia can...
: No, perish the thought. I am merely a figurehead.
: Well...he must have the qualities of a leader if he can accept the role under these circumstances.
: If everyone's okay with it...I'm okay with it, too...

: Then, I guess we've made our decision... Don't worry, as long as I'm the leader, I won't let anyone become a victim.
: I will guide you all! That much, I promise.
: Kyaaaa! Soooo reliable!

It's true he's reliable but... I'm a little surprised... I didn't think he was the type of guy who'd say something like that. I expected the "Ultimate Affluent Progeny" to look down on us like we're bugs or something...

: Now then, let's move on to the topic at hand, for real this time... I have something to show you all.
: ...Something to show us?
: It's at Jabberwock Park at the central island... Come, follow me! *leaves*

After saying it so bluntly...Byakuya turned and left the restaurant, stomping his feet along the way.

: J-Just as I thought...he sure is forceful...
: Jeez...we may have made a mistake in choosing him as the leader... *leaves*

Though everyone made similar complaints, they all followed Byakuya out of the restaurant...

: Before we go, Gundham and Akane are still here.

: My Four Dark Devas of Destruction! Let us venture to the end of the earth...Jabberwock Park...!

There's no need to shout. Just hurry up and go already...

: Ya don't hafta pay attention to me, just go...! I'll catch up with ya soon...!
: ...You don't seem so persuasive when you have that look on your face.
: I can't help it... When I...get hungry, I lose most of my energy... Sooooo...!

After she said that, Akane ate the entire pile of food on her plate in one gulp...

*Scarf-snarf-glormp! Om-nom-nom!*

: Man, that was good.

You ate so fast I doubt you even tasted it...

: Ugh!
: Wh-What happened? Are you choking!?

: C-Crap... Now that I've eaten a little, I'm even hungrier...
: Jeez... Byakuya better finish his talk fast. Cuz once he's done, I'm gonna eat as much as I can! *leaves*

I guess...I should go for now.

: Next time, the park.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 8, 2016

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

It's been brought up before, but I love how Byakuya has grown as a person, both literally and metaphorically.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FPzero posted:

: No, perish the thought. I am merely a figurehead.

Jeez, that's kinda harsh to just readily admit.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

dancingbears posted:

It's been brought up before, but I love how Byakuya has grown as a person, both literally and metaphorically.

Byakuya's one of my favorites in this game for how he's matured, while still being his arrogant self :syoon:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I realise it's probably too late to mention this, but I noticed in the last image you were headed outside from the restaurant. I'm pretty sure there are some people in the hotel lobby you could talk to.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Thesaya, Talow, Serpentis, you've partially filled out the pool, but are still missing an entry or two to complete your guesses!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Taco Defender
I put many hours into Tales of Zestiria, and it's hard to not automatically associate Mahiru's voice with Lailah now. I do appreciate FPZero for including the names of the VA's for the characters, as there are some which sound familiar, but I can't be sure from where.

fractalairduct posted:

I realise it's probably too late to mention this, but I noticed in the last image you were headed outside from the restaurant. I'm pretty sure there are some people in the hotel lobby you could talk to.

That's not something you need to spoiler at all. Even if feel you do, the above edit would have been a better place to put the tag.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Thesaya, Talow, Serpentis, you've partially filled out the pool, but are still missing an entry or two to complete your guesses!

Wait what? Whoops, I'll go fix that.

Edit: There we go.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Talow posted:

Wait what? Whoops, I'll go fix that.

Edit: There we go.

Aweosme! Thank you!

Serefin99 You also need to finish your entry! :)

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Huh. My bad, thought I'd completed that first time. drat you Byakuya, creeping in invisibly on the end there. Cheers for the heads up Jimmy!

And drat, the little spoiled dancer is beginning to grate. Seriously hope she stops being so snide for about 5 seconds.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Gotcha, NISA.

"Alcohol" here is from a, uh, I know the term for this... I believe these are called "false friends" in languages, words that seem like they map neatly to some thing in the target language but actually don't. This is kinda obvious in retrospect but "Alcohol" here does not refer to the stuff you drink but to isopropanol a.k.a. isopropyl alcohol a.k.a. rubbing alcohol a.k.a. the extremely common disinfectant which a nurse would deal with all the time. Also, as I recall, when I got handed this it was "bathrooms and the smell of alcohol", not "bathroom smells and alcohol", which makes Mikan seem much weirder than she already does.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, I have some bad news. My capture card, which I use to record this LP, has died. Or at least, it's no longer functioning well enough for me to record anything for longer than about 10 seconds. This obviously leaves me with a problem, not just for this LP, but also for the other one I'm doing right now.

I'm not happy with the prospect of dropping ~$150 on a new card. Putting aside the other LP, I think my best course of action would be to spend $30 and buy this game on Steam and continue from there. (Too bad i didn't take advantage of the sale on the two games recently.) The only downside is that I won't have access to my complete save files any longer. That throws a wrench in my plans for doing Free Time Roundups during the LP unless I play the whole game again offscreen and do no Free Times the whole game, leaving me with a completely blank School Mode.

Whatever my choice, I need to make it soon because the next update is the last one in my backlog. I was trying to record more today when I made this fun discovery. Tomorrow's planned update might only be posted on Saturday so I can space things out a little more and establish a new workflow for recording from PC instead of console.

I'm rather annoyed right now. :smith:

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
I think we can be patient and wait, till you have your all of the things neccesary for you to continue this LP.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do whatever works for you.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I may have jumped the gun. As I type this, I'm currently recording a test video on the pstv home screen, having just done an 8 minute test recording on my Wii U. I don't know what necessarily caused the card to stop working, but I looked at Hauppauge's website and found an update for the Capture software that came out a short while ago. Installing that and rebooting my system appears to have fixed my issues for now.

I'm going to hesitantly say that the LP is back on. Sorry for the confusion and mixed messages. Let this be a lesson that you should regularly update the software you use for LP.

I hope to get another few updates recorded either tonight or tomorrow night. I'm happy to have this fixed in time for this weekend since I have a couple days off classes for Fall Break.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Cool! Well, fingers crossed that things continue to work well.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

FPzero posted:

: Then, I guess we've made our decision... Don't worry, as long as I'm the leader, I won't let anyone become a victim.
Oh dear. This is something you really, really don't want to say in a situation like this. To paraphrase Pratchett, Byakuya's strapped on the plate mail, climbed the hill in the thunderstorm and started shouting 'All gods are bastards'.

Also, is it just me or did the designers crank up the fanservice this time around?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Also, is it just me or did the designers crank up the fanservice this time around?
This entire game is a beach episode, does this really surprise you? :v:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Mikan has a gift. It's not a gift she wants, and it's not really a gift that anyone else wants her to have (except Teruteru), but she sure does have it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Considering the company they eventually merged with, I'm not surprised.

(The same company owns Nico Nico and, surprisingly, FromSoftware.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So what you're saying is the possibility of Monobear in Fromsoft game is a nonzero number.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Double Punctuation posted:

Considering the company they eventually merged with, I'm not surprised.

(The same company owns Nico Nico and, surprisingly, FromSoftware.)

The chain of holdings and acquisitions between Spike, Chunsoft, Dwango, Kadokawa and the rest of the dozens of companies under that group today is complicated and almost certainly has no direct influence on the creative decisions of any one leaf company involved.

In any case, DR2 was release very shortly after the Spike-Chunsoft merger and so was probably almost entirely developed while Spike was still independent. Out of the two, Spike was the one with the more risqué title library, but it was Chunsoft who brought Dwango/Kadokawa into the mix.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

So what you're saying is the possibility of Monobear in Fromsoft game is a nonzero number.

Starting a petition now to make Monokuma the next Ultimate Boss of any new Armored Core game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I better hurry and follow after Byakuya... He's at Jabberwock Park, I believe.

: Before we leave the hotel, Kazuichi is hanging out by the gate. (I've been informed that I apparently missed extra dialogue in the hotel lobby from a couple other characters but this update was recorded way in advance of learning that. Oh well.)

: What are you doing? You should hurry over to the park...
: GYAAAAAAAAAH!?
: Wah!

Didn't this same thing...happen last time, too?

: Hajime! How many times are you gonna surprise me!?
: I just spoke to you normally... Anyway, you should hurry over to the park.
: Shut up... I'm going back to my room... Seriously, this is all just one big hassle...
: Argh! Dammit! Seriously, if we're on a tropical paradise then why are we in this situation in the first place!? Isn't that right? Isn't a vacation supposed to be nothing by lounging around and sipping coconut juice!?
: R-Relax... Snapping at me won't change a thing, okay?

: Hajime! It's decided! You better come to the beach with me later!
: Huh?
: For coconuts, dammit! I saw some big ones that fell onto the shore! I haven't figured out how to split 'em open...but once I do, we're gonna have ourselves some coconut juice!
: You can't just will a coconut open... Just give up and get some coconut juice from the supermarket.
: Argh! You just don't understand! Fine, be that way! I'm never gonna ask for your help again! *leaves*

...He left. I hope he goes straight to the park. Now then, I should hurry too...

: On the Central Island, we can see for ourselves that the Monobeasts are blocking the gates to the other islands.

That strange Monobeast is blocking the bridge...! I shouldn't carelessly approach it...

: ...For skinny people, you're awfully slow.
: It seems...you are just too fast for us.
: J-Jeez...I never expected a fatso like him to move so fast...

: So...what's supposed to be here?
: "Here...?" Really...?
: Hmph... If you haven't noticed it yet...then I was right to dismiss you all as idiots.

Wh-What is...that...?

An obviously out of place object, placed in the center of a peaceful park...

: It looks like a clock, but...something seems off... It's...counting down...!

: Was this here when we came last time?
: No...I'm pretty sure it wasn't!
: I found it this morning...when I was exploring the island one more time. It's unknown...when it was actually placed here...

: Monokuma must have placed this object... What does this countdown even mean?
: Hmm... I have no clue.
: Mmhmhm, once again, something has appeared that I don't understand... But it's got nothing to do with me. Because I refuse to believe this is happening.

: Could it be...? It better not be a bomb!
: A b-b-b-b-bommmmmmmb!?
: If they wanted to blow up the island, they would have done so by now. There's no need for a countdown...

: Then...what are they counting down?
: It's a mystery...
: ...A mysterious mystery, isn't it!?
: Kyah!

: Kyaaaah!
: M-Monomi!?
: Wh-Why are you here!?
: I heard everyone while I was patrolling, so I came over...

: No, not that... Didn't Monokuma kill you?
: Ah, so that's why you were surprised?
: Pfft, hehehe! You don't have to worry about that! After all, I can never die!
: I see... You must be an undead abomination, risen from the foulest depths of the Netherworld by black magic...
: *Gasp!* Do you want me to make you my thrall!?

: Monomi's a mechanical stuffed animal, right? Doesn't that mean she can't die in the first place?
: Now that you mention it...she'd only need like, a spare or something.
: "A spare"... What a mean thing to say!
: However, you have arrived at the perfect time. There's something I wanted to ask you.

: What is the meaning behind this timer and this countdown? Answer me...
: Huh? Countdown...?

: Ha-wa-wa! What is this!?
: ...U-Um... I'm sorry... I...don't know what this is...
: (By the way, the numbers flicker back and forth randomly whenever this object is in view so don't read in to the fact it says 90:43. Next frame it could say 13:65 or something.)

: You really don't know...?
: I-I'm sorry... I don't really have a grasp of what Monokuma is up to...
: You don't know, even though you're Monokuma's little sister.
: I'm not my brother's little sister!

Did she accept the role or not? Which one is it?

: A-Anyway...let's all do our best! Let's kick the evil Monokuma off this island!
: If you don't know what the countdown is for, you're useless to us. Get lost.
: Um... Let's...together...

: I said get lost!
: Kyaaa! I-I'm sorry! *leaves*

: Um... Perhaps you are being a little too harsh? I am starting to feel sorry for it...
: Miss Sonia! May I call you Miss Sonia!? No, I insist on calling you that!
: There's no need to feel sorry for that thing. She's obviously working with Monokuma.

: Who the gently caress cares about that stuffed animal...? More importantly, what the hell is that clock?
: Looks ominous, doesn't it... Who put that object here, and how did they do it in just one night?
: Hmm...I can't imagine...
: Which means it doesn't make any sense! Also, it's deadly!

: However, that's not all that's unimaginable... This island is full of mysteries that we can't begin to imagine... For example...how were the sixteen of us brought to this island...?
: I wasn't trying to think about that since it's been bugging me too, but...he's right. That *is* a mystery.
: There's more... Why is Jabberwock Island, which was known for being a popular resort destination, now an uninhabited island? There is no sign of tourishs or even citizens on this island... Is something like that even possible?

: All civilizations are destined to collapse... Nothing begets existence...and existence begets nothing...
: So it...collapsed?
: Society is much like fruit. Once it matures, it is inevitable that it will eventually rot. As the economy grows, the private sector stagnates as elders and bureaucrats become more and more powerful... As time passes, this power becomes the status quo, and crushes the seeds of any possible reformation...
: ...Such a sad trend.
: Mmm, I don't really understand all that, but I feel like the situation here is somewhat different...

: Maybe...the Monobeasts killed everyone on this island?
: And that's how it became uninhabited!?
: That's a possibility, but...we don't know that for sure.
: This mystery remains a mystery, it seems.

: Grrrrrr...! It's like everything here is just full of mysteries!
: You're right... It's mysteries on top of mysteries... However, since these mysteries are overlapping with one another, I doubt some no-name group is behind this...
: Wh-What are you trying to say...?

: I mean...this situation we're in is undeniably the work of some enormous organization.
: ...Enormous organization?
: Monomi, Monokuma, the Monobeasts... They're all machines that require major technical skill to operate.

: Plus, they'd need a ton of funding. And there's no way those things were made just for the hell of it...
: That organization might be controlling these machines and monitoring the island with those cameras...
: Could those fiends be hiding on this island?
: Not likely. They're probably running this from somewhere else. Somewhere safe.
: Where would that be...?
: I don't know... Anyway, there's no mistake that an enormous organization is behind all this.

: I see, a big organization, huh... I can't imagine what kinda people they could be...
: Well, let's see... There's my Togami Corporation...Sonia's Novoselic Kingdom...and the Kuzuryu Clan... It would definitely have to be an organization as powerful as one of those groups, if not more so.
: Huh!?

: I'm used to being mistrusted... Do what you will...
: Hold on! I don't care about you or the Kuzuryu Clan, but I won't allow you to doubt Miss Sonia! Miss Sonia is a hot blonde princess! There's a sharp distinction between her and you punks!
: Yeah, yeah... Just shut up already, loser...
: L-Loser!? Are you talking about me!?

: It's obvious from your flashy clothes that you just wanna stand out because you're actually a loser.
: Hehe... It must be hard to make your living in the Lam-rear end Loser Industry.
: Too far, dude! That's going way too far!
: Hey, Byakuya... Were you serious just now? About this being related to your family and Sonia's and such...?
: I'm just using them as an example. I'm not saying they have anything to do with this.
: But...you're certain that we're up against a huge organization, right?

: Even if such an organization exists... Why would they make us go through something like this?
: Whatever. How long are we gonna keep talking about this? Why don't we talk about something more realistic?
: Our enemy's purpose is still unknown... As long as we find out who's behind this, we'll learn their purpose.
: So what we must do now is find out who our enemy is. If we do that, we'll be that much closer to a breakthrough. Luckily, according to the e-Handbook, we are free to explore this island...

: There will definitely be a clue about the enemy on this island somewhere. Let's start looking.
: All right! Let's get this crap done!
: ...Uh, what're we looking for?
: ...Akane, were you even listening? We need to find clues that will tell us who our enemy is.
: No problem... No matter how large this organization may be, they will not be able to stand against us...

: They are destined to fall and turn to ash at the might of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction!
: Wow! Hamsters came out of your scarf!
: Tee-hee! They are so adorable!
: Adorable...you say...?

: ...Th-Thank you.
: You're pretty happy about that, huh?
: Look at that guy talking to Miss Sonia all casually... I'm definitely gonna beat the crap out of him later...

I don't get it. In this tense situation, we all need to be a lot more cautious... And yet, I'm relieved everyone is in such high spirits. It's strange, but...I feel like I can rely on them. This...must be what it means to have the confidence of an Ultimate...

Then...what am I? Am I...confident enough to call myself one of them? ...drat it...I still can't remember... What talent am I supposed to have!?

: ...Anyway, let me just say this. There's no time to think about something as foolish as killing each other. You must do what you have to do. Observe, speculate, recognize, comprehend. Even if it seems impossible...just persevere. But most importantly, follow my lead. I'll make sure to return you all to your normal lives.
: This is your leader's order. Understand?
: Uhaha! That's, like, TOTALLY awesome!

: That right hand of his is soooo plump. I've got the perfect nickname for him: Ham Hands!
: H-Ham Hands...you say...?
: Hmph... I never thought I'd see the day when someone called me something like that...
: ...Huh? Why aren't you getting mad?
: Why would I get mad at something as petty as that...? She observed me directly and thought up a nickname. There's nothing dishonest about a name like that...

: Perhaps...I've always yearned for this. Though it may seem ironic for me to realize that in this particular situation...

He's...totally monologuing right now.

: Don't worry about it. I was talking to myself just now.
: I-I see...

I don't really get it, but...I guess this guy isn't just some overconfident, narcissistic jerk after all. Despite our situation, he's mysteriously calm. He might just be a reliable person after all...

: All right then. We should listen to Byakuya and not waste our energy thinking about pointless things! It's true that we're not in the best situation, but it's also not the worst.
: Because we're not alone. We have friends we can count on to support each other.
: Seriously? That sounds so lame!
: Ahaha, I knew it. I was thinking to myself just how lame I sounded for saying that.

Friends, huh? Until now, I never really thought about friendship. That sort of thing seemed embarrassing. I never would have thought about it in this situation... No, actually, it's more like...*because* of this situation...

In the end, we never solved the mystery of the ominous countdown... But without losing heart, we all went back to the hotel.

Believe in your friends, huh... It'd be difficult to believe in them right away, but it'd be nice if it could happen a little at a time...

Huh. If I'm starting to think like that, doesn't that show I'm making good progress?

Now then, there's no reason to hole up in my room and stare blankly into space. Since there's time...it'd be a great idea if I went ahead and talked to everyone.

: I know it's sudden, but it's time for a brief tutorial. During the school trip, there will be moments called Free Time. During Free Time, you will be able to strengthen your friendship by spending time with the other students. Also, if you give them a present afterwards, you might make an even better impression. You can obtain presents from the MonoMono Yachine and the vending machine at the supermarket.
: When you strengthen a friendship, an intimate event is activated and added to the Report Card. Also, if you show any Hope Fragments you've gathered to Usami via the Report Card, you can gain new skills. Feel free to strengthen your friendships with as many people as you want.
: Also, when you spend time with someone, time will pass and you will return to your cottage afterward. After passing the time several times, your Free Time will end and you will continue on to the main story. By the way...you can skip Free Time by resting in your cottage bed. Although I don't really recommend it...please use it if you want to just continue the main story right away.

: Free Time works almost exactly like it did in the previous game. I'll have a more detailed explanation of its mechanics next time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 8, 2016

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I suppose I could be misremembering this, but the scene in the hotel lobby was Mahiru trying to convince Sonia to lead again. I don't remember exactly how it played out.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

fractalairduct posted:

I suppose I could be misremembering this, but the scene in the hotel lobby was Mahiru trying to convince Sonia to lead again. I don't remember exactly how it played out.

WELP, I may have tried to mimic the LP script, but some issues with me not wanting to rehost every dialogue avatar led me to just provide a simple script of the scene.

Sonia: Do not tell me... You, too!?

Hajime: Huh? Me too? What are you talking about?

Sonia: Oh... Miss Mahiru has asked me to take a leadership position...

Mahiru: Well, Byakuya is being too forceful about leading us. Doesn't that raise a red flag? Please, Sonia, think about it again. Don't you think you should be the leader instead?

Sonia: I am certain I am ill-suited to be one. Furthermore, though Byakuya may be forceful, I believe he has the qualities to be an effective leader.

Mahiru: Eh? Really?

Sonia: Do you not remember what he said about being destined to stand above all others? He is truly attempting to fulfill that destiny by the strength of his own will. His impressive stature and physique is a testament to his desire to be the Ultimate Affluent Progeny, no? That...is truly grand.

Hajime: I guess...that's one way of looking at it...

Mahiru: When you put it like that, Sonia... it does sound convincing. Okay, I understand! I'm sorry for being so pushy, Sonia.

Sonia: No, it is simply... A matter of regal discretion!

Malah
May 18, 2015

I vaguely remember you saying you weren't going to do this, but I'm incredibly glad that you are. I look forward to another LP that's going to go off the rails and somewhere into the solar system.

This is getting interesting rather fast. DR2 isn't even pretending to be playing within the boundaries of reality from the onset. I actually don't know what to think about Monokuma's reappearance - Junko is obviously dead. I suspect that the method for her despair boner reaching so far past her death has something to do with the "impossible" things that keep happening. Obviously the exact details for those three things are only constrained by exactly how insane this is going to get by the end. Don't disappoint, Japan.

As for the betting pool: Steve is dying, Steve better be dying first because gently caress Steve, and Steve dying first means that one of the girls has to take one for the team and get executed. Past that, I'll keep my speculation to myself until it's relevant.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Taco Defender
Once again, I'll quote Monobear, emphasis mine:

: Ahem, any method is fine. Popular ones like bludgeoning, stabbing, strangling, and poisoning... To shooting, beating, running over, burning, bombing, slashing, drowning, electrocution, crushing, cursing... Please, choose whichever killing method you prefer. No time limit, so you can kill as you please... It's an All-You-Can-Murder Buffet... A theme park of murder...

Whatever that countdown is for, it is not a bomb, and probably not anything which would limit their time either. No idea what that could be, though.

fractalairduct posted:

Yeah that's basically it.

You can read oren's translation of that scene here, although of course spoilers if you go too much farther past that point.

Why is everyone calling the chef guy Steve? Is there some reference I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm going to be very disappointed if Gundam doesn't manage to murder someone using his hamsters.

• Locked thread