Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PJOmega posted:

Modify the files so you don't move at a snail's pace. Which might be in the wiki.

Don't set it too high, unless you think jumping islands is kicking rad. Which it is.

I've played it before and I know about the pacing, I was just after Zubmariner specific things (or stuff changed in the past year I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

al-azad posted:

It works in MGS1 and 2 because they're set in tight hallways and have a radar. I don't know what was going through his head when he decided it was a good idea in a game with no radar and enemies can see beyond your view with anything less than 70% camo.

Subsistance at least gives you the option to use the old lovely camera because sometimes it does have it's moments of being pretty good. But then everytime i get to Grozny Grad i immediately go back to normal :v:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're going to play non-lethal, learn to shoot soldiers in the chest with a tranq gun, not the head. It's discreet and unnoticed until they fall over, and setting up a bunch of chest shots in an outpost means no-one can panic about their buddy falling over before they do so themselves.

On this note, better tranq guns will knock an opponent out with a non head shot in less time.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

juliuspringle posted:

Forgot to ask. Is there anything I shouldn't fulton (like a bear) and how does MGO work? Like do you have to actively do stuff? I'm just wonder if I could get resources by loving up people that no longer play for an easy time of it.

why wouldn't you fulton a bear

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

I fail to see your point

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you can fulton a bear, you are ready to fulton the super bear.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

anything to know about République?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Count Chocula posted:

How do I not die in 3 seconds in MGS games? I tried MGS 1, 2 and Ground Zeroes and every time I end up sneaking around prone for 10 minutes, alerting a guard, and dying. Then I go back to something easier, like Dark Souls or Hyper Light Drifter. I want to like MGS, I like essays about them, but the only one I can beat or even progress in is Revengence. I can do stealthy play in Far Cry and Dishonored but MGS eludes me. What am I missing?

Dont sneak around prone. In 1 and 2 use the radar to stay out of sight and move fast. In GZ use the crouch most of the time, not the crawl.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

double nine posted:

anything to know about République?

The first three episodes are directly connected with each other. I don't think anything is miss-able until the end of the third episode.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Firstly, gently caress Ground Zeroes. Secondly, I want my $10 back. Finally, Is there anything in Ground Zeros that you get in TPP for playing that's actually worth unlocking (besides HK) or should I just move on to TPP? I'm at least going to rescue HK before I start TPP though because I read that's how you get him in TPP and the man needs work these days.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ground Zeroes owns you big baby.

Anyway, these are the unlocks, nothing worth torturing yourself over.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

How do I not die in 3 seconds in MGS games? I tried MGS 1, 2 and Ground Zeroes and every time I end up sneaking around prone for 10 minutes, alerting a guard, and dying. Then I go back to something easier, like Dark Souls or Hyper Light Drifter. I want to like MGS, I like essays about them, but the only one I can beat or even progress in is Revengence. I can do stealthy play in Far Cry and Dishonored but MGS eludes me. What am I missing?
I'd recommend you start with MGS1, since each new game brings heaps of new gameplay mechanics to the fold. It's better to start with the basics. Barring that, MGS3 is also a good place to start for reasons mentioned above. MGS2 is awful for beginners - even disregarding the bizarre story, the controls are awkward in that late 90s/early-00s way. The first-person mode in particular requires some overly complicated DDR-like steps, and yet the game is designed around using it effectively.

The following hints are mainly for MGS1, though they do apply to other games to some extent:

Scout the area for small rooms or vents that you can hide in if caught. Vents in particular also sometimes provide an alternative route to get to a different area.

Learn how to hug the walls and look around corners. It's your primary means of assessing the area, and often makes the camera switch to a unique angle that reveals more of the environment or hints at how to proceed. You also have a first-person mode, but it's secondary (you can't move or shoot in it, only look around).

Instead of waiting for a very specific window when the guards aren't looking at a given space, learn to distract them to disrupt their patrol routes. In MGS1, this is mainly done by knocking on walls and such.

Keep in mind that the visual representations of the guards' field of vision on the radar are very literal. You can be standing in front of them, but as long as your dot isn't in the yellow cone, you're in the clear.

Learn to love the cardboard box. The first one is in a tank hangar right after defeating a revolver-wielding boss. Not only does it allow you to hide much more effectively (the guards don't think too much of a completely out of place cardboard box, unless you move while they can see you), it also improves your mobility (you can crouch run while wearing it).

If you're still having trouble, check out the first few videos of this LP. They serve as a great guide to how the game works.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 19, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also for 1, you don't need to see an enemy to kill them. If a guard is out of visual range but you can see them on the radar, you can still shoot them if you line it up right.

I think. Haven't played that one in a while.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

I'm a couple hours in already, but: Lords of the Fallen?

Edit: Nevermind, I found anilEhilated's writeup on it. Thanks!

SnipeShow fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 19, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'll eventually get started with Invisible Inc soon enough, just wondering if there are any weird quirks or hang-ups to be aware of?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'll eventually get started with Invisible Inc soon enough, just wondering if there are any weird quirks or hang-ups to be aware of?

The random level generator is designed so that you can get through any level without setting off an alarm. If a room seems impossible, you'll need to attract a guard's attention by either opening a door or showing up in their periphery. Practice kiting enemies early and you'll be ready for late game when three dudes and a drone are looking straight at the single door you need to open to get in.

Also this took me a while to figure out, don't do the bank break-in missions (where you need a safe code) unless you just did a mission to get the safe code. You can't fully complete them without the code. The safe codes are good only once and the missions are random so bank jobs are a very lucrative mission but I didn't even complete one in my first play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Thank you for reminding me that that game exists.

- Your loving MANTRA should be Peek, Open, Peek. Live by this, or you will suffer.

- It's basically a roguelike, so don't worry too much about failing the campaign, you're expected to a couple times unless you're a loving savant. (And you get some XP no matter how poorly you do at first.)

- Ammo items don't ever reload.

- Guards check open doors first. Close doors behind you, leave side doors open.

- When a guard turns 180 degrees, their field of vision switches over instantly, rather than sweeping across the side.

- Honestly, a single guard is really easy to avoid, since you can crouch behind a lot of poo poo, and their field of view is generously narrow/restrictive. It's when there's 2+ in an area that things get dicey.

- Don't be afraid of KOing guards, but also know that when they wake up ~10 turns later, they will go immediately into search mode, so try not to do it anywhere that you need to go back through, if you can help it.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

The Phantom Pain

Charging a bear and punching it with your Bionic Arm will NOT take down the bear.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

juliuspringle posted:

The Phantom Pain

Charging a bear and punching it with your Bionic Arm will NOT take down the bear.

That tip should probably just be "Bears are bears, prepare accordingly."

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Zaodai posted:

That tip should probably just be "Bears are bears, prepare accordingly."

I thought punching it might work, I mean it makes the bionic man noise. If my math is correct it took ten tranq darts to drop the bear.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

juliuspringle posted:

I thought punching it might work, I mean it makes the bionic man noise. If my math is correct it took ten tranq darts to drop the bear.

I think the first time I ran into a bear in Phantom Pain I ended up dumping a whole mag of AR ammo into its face as it charged me, which it absorbed as if the rounds were made of candy, and then it tore my head off.

I thought that was suitably bearish and gave them a wide bearth from that point forward. Though I would like a Metal Gear game where you play as a regular, angry bear that got loose into the enemy base somehow. Hell, I'd play a remake of MGS1 where the enemy is all prepared for Solid Snake to show up, but no, a grizzly just wanders in from the storm and starts murdering people.

[EDIT] "We were going to genetically engineer this Foxdie virus, but it turns out it was a lot cheaper and faster to just give a bear a lot of PCP and air drop it into the base."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Goddamn, now I wish there was a D-Bear companion.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Zaodai posted:

I think the first time I ran into a bear in Phantom Pain I ended up dumping a whole mag of AR ammo into its face as it charged me, which it absorbed as if the rounds were made of candy, and then it tore my head off.

I thought that was suitably bearish and gave them a wide bearth from that point forward. Though I would like a Metal Gear game where you play as a regular, angry bear that got loose into the enemy base somehow. Hell, I'd play a remake of MGS1 where the enemy is all prepared for Solid Snake to show up, but no, a grizzly just wanders in from the storm and starts murdering people.

[EDIT] "We were going to genetically engineer this Foxdie virus, but it turns out it was a lot cheaper and faster to just give a bear a lot of PCP and air drop it into the base."

Can the horse and the dog die? I'm waiting for the dog to grow up still but I keep leaving the horse a good bit from wherever I'm going to just in case. I even made like Bethesda and got horse armor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They can get mission killed, but I don't think there's a way to lose them permanently. I forget. I think D-Horse took a couple of RPGs at one point and I just had to go over and heal him after I killed the enemies, but it's been awhile.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Can the horse and the dog die? I'm waiting for the dog to grow up still but I keep leaving the horse a good bit from wherever I'm going to just in case. I even made like Bethesda and got horse armor.

Your supports can't permanently die. They'll get airlifted back for a fee. You'll get a character later who leaves near the end but they patched in a way to get them back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Your supports can't permanently die. They'll get airlifted back for a fee. You'll get a character later who leaves near the end but they patched in a way to get them back.

Wait, what? When did they do that and how do you do it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what? When did they do that and how do you do it?

Around the time they announced DLC that featured costumes for the character you would permanently lose. Beat mission 7 seven times and on the eighth time you get an option to replay it and get them back.

e: Ha, Konami didn't put in the patch notes. Someone data mined it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

juliuspringle posted:

The Phantom Pain

Call in air support.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

al-azad posted:

Around the time they announced DLC that featured costumes for the character you would permanently lose. Beat mission 7 seven times and on the eighth time you get an option to replay it and get them back.

e: Ha, Konami didn't put in the patch notes. Someone data mined it.

Of course it would be something incredibly obtuse like that.

This sounds like something that you hear from the kid whose dad "works at nintendo".

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Grim Dawn apart from what's on beforeiplay.com?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

PJOmega posted:

Modify the files so you don't move at a snail's pace. Which might be in the wiki.

Don't set it too high, unless you think jumping islands is kicking rad. Which it is.

Honestly, if you don't have patience for the speed of the boat, then you're probably not gonna have patience to read the text, and you probably don't have the patience to solve the puzzles so you'll go on the wiki to figure out how to do everything, and miss like 90% of the point of the game. Which makes me wonder, why not just play something else instead? That being said, I may be a bit hypocritical here since most the time I'm playing, also doing something else on my second monitor.

On topic though:
-When in London, find person to bang until you get kid, make kid a Zee-captain.
-When you die get the two legacies that give you echoes.
-You should almost never be buying fuel from London. Fuel should be coming from submitting reports and spending favor. If you're capping out on cargo space because of fuel, you're doing it right.
-On your first run, don't upgrade your boat or any equipment except for maybe claymen which you should sell when you're about to finish.
-Liquidate everything that's valuable.
-If you can finish Empire of Hands quest-line in the way that Captain Jack Sparrow could (the only way to gently caress this up except for not doing the quest is to piss off all the gods. You will want their attention which you can get in the Northwestern most town after you leave London for the final time), this will end the game but also unlock your first permanent legacy for arguably one of the most useful stats.
-Aim to have around 20k Echoes when you finish, this is pretty easy if you've been selling your Searing Enigmas and Captivating Treasures. This will allow you to buy and fit the second most powerful ship in the game on your second run with two cannons, and good engine. Grats, you can now murder pretty much everything in the Zee (which means you never suffer from terror issue since killing poo poo reduces terror), though going after the mountain will typically require you to be at full HP and not suck at combat (aka keep it at you max range while moving backwards).

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 21, 2016

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Call in air support.

I'm still in my Fulton everything phase so I wanted to go nonlethal. Also that costs money which I no longer have (maybe, it better not have saved) Can someone explain to me how an error that signed me out of PSN means I am now 19k GMP in the red? I had like 300 thousand something because I'm trying to be conservative and suddenly I'm bankrupt.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Of course it would be something incredibly obtuse like that.

This sounds like something that you hear from the kid whose dad "works at nintendo".
that was actually the idea - Kojima said he missed all the weird, obscure semi-mythical cheats and secrets of old NES/SNES games and wanted to bring them back by sneaking that into an update. p cool imo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

I'm still in my Fulton everything phase so I wanted to go nonlethal. Also that costs money which I no longer have (maybe, it better not have saved) Can someone explain to me how an error that signed me out of PSN means I am now 19k GMP in the red? I had like 300 thousand something because I'm trying to be conservative and suddenly I'm bankrupt.

Konami realized several months in they could better profit off the game by dumping 90% of your resources to the FOB. Think of it as everything you pick up going to this offshore bank that slowly trickles to your main account. You can access it online, but lose everything offline until you reconnect.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Shin Megami Tensei IV? Specifically: getting contracts Demon allies seems to be a bitch and a half. If I give everything they want, they run away, and if I follow the wiki's advice (Refuse, Cheat) they get pissed off 90% of the time Also, where should I be going App-wise?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that was actually the idea - Kojima said he missed all the weird, obscure semi-mythical cheats and secrets of old NES/SNES games and wanted to bring them back by sneaking that into an update. p cool imo

They patched that in after Kojima was already shitcanned for several months.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Shin Megami Tensei IV? Specifically: getting contracts Demon allies seems to be a bitch and a half. If I give everything they want, they run away, and if I follow the wiki's advice (Refuse, Cheat) they get pissed off 90% of the time Also, where should I be going App-wise?
Heh, the first few tips there were mine, I think. Demon Negotiation can be a bitch at first. I found those steps to be the most effective overall - you'll still get attacked but it worked a hell of a lot better than trading honestly and doesn't cost you any macca or items.

The best apps to gun for are the Skill and Demon Skill slots, as those are critical to being able to make well-rounded characters, and the Party MP restoration ones - with that maxed out you can spam your most expensive skills every fight and still be topped off for the next. A few more slots for demons is also a good and pretty cheap grab.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Guessing at what demons want is a matter of intuition, but there's always a random element. You will almost certainly lose more often than you win. The Scout apps and their extensions (Trade, Negotiate, Plead, Fundraise, etc.) will eventually make things easier (and more lucrative for you, less ruinous when the flee or turn on you) as well as give you more Talk options, such as straight up asking for money and items, begging to be healed, negotiating a ceasefire, or distracting them for an advantage in-battle. Demolingual will let you talk to demons who cannot speak normally. Bosses and horde encounters simply cannot be reasoned with, even if they're otherwise available to be recruited, so don't bother talking to them.

I don't know which apps are bottom line the best, but the ones I bee-line for every time are the Expand Stock, Skill Expansion, Demon Skill, and MP Recovery all the way to max. Demon Analyze is pretty important unless you're using a guide. If you're aggressively into recruiting (and you should be, since you should be fusing all the time, too and therefore have a bunch of empty stock), then the talky apps are nice, especially the Scout line. Skills Plugin is cool, Stats Plugin is meh. Plead and Chitchat are very nice and useful throughout the game; Trade, Negotiate, and Fundraise are sort of fun but I didn't end up using them very often. You will eventually want Summon Discount and Summon XP to be pretty high, as you will be smashing all kinds of demons together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, demons can be pretty capricious in that but there are a lot of apps you can get to help lessen their demands. You'll be able to intuit which types of demon react best to certain responses after a while, though there will always be times where they're absolute dickholes. Though specifically when they ask you for a bunch of poo poo, the third time they do it I tend to always refuse, partly because it's becoming expensive at this point and also because this is around when they're going to think you're a pushover or not. I think your luck stat also plays a part in whether they join or not, but I don't remember for sure.

Also while you can't recruit bosses, it won't waste your turn talking to them, so feel free to see what they have to say to your recruitment attempts. Also for fun, try raising cash from them. Nothing feels better than taking the piss out of a big bad by making them give you thousands of macca. Note that it's usually incredibly dangerous to do so since a botched attempt means you lose your turn and vs bosses that could be a very bad thing. Also I know you were asking specifically about recruitment, but I'll give you this unrelated bit of advice now: get a guide so you know which choices to pick to get the neutral ending (if you want it for your first playthrough, though there ARE decent reasons to get it the first time around). It is a loving bitch and a half to get and I have had to restart THREE TIMES because I hosed up on a random choice earlier in the game.

Now for a question myself: For The Witcher 2, are there any trap skills/skill trees you can put points into? Or rather ones that aren't very good? The game also recommended easy for me, so should I follow that suggestion? Finally, how nicely does the game play with a controller? Figured it might actually be simpler to play with one since there's hotkeys all over the place for the assorted signs (press 8 to cast this, etc.)