Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
People who can conceivably out-act Spader don't have happy endings on this show.

'Member Alan Alda's head gettin' blowed up? *I* 'Member!
'Member David Strathairn gettin' dropped outta an airplane? *I* 'Member!
'Member Parminder Nagra gettin' her throat cut and everyone kinda gets over it because they find Samar in the Brown Woman Actor Bin like two seconds later? *I* member, and that was kinda hosed up...
'Member Peter Stormare gettin' shot in the face? *I*...wait, who was he again?

(to anyone who doesn't get this - the current South Park season has things called 'Memberberries' that do nothing but make mid-life crisis people remember nostalgic poo poo...and they talk)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

People who can conceivably out-act Spader don't have happy endings on this show.

You make a good point. I'm okay with just having Spader and the goobers, as long as there is a lot more Spader.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Spader is an intensely serious actor who hates being out in public by his own admission so he must really ,really like this steady paycheck to be on board for this dreck.

I want Homeland to steal Spader and make all future seasons revolve around mysterious debonair Daymond Deaddington and then I can finally stop watching TBL.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm very close to giving up, I ditched 'Empire' this season after it giving it 2 seasons to stop being cartoonishly poor monotonous soap opera garbage (because S1 was at least half novel), there's no good way to justify sticking with hour long dramas you need to "tolerate" in the peak TV era.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Now I've got denny crane stuck in my head.

Denny Crane

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's actually kind of criminal that 'The Director' wasn't Shatner. I keep saying that they HAVE to have some amazing cameo set up for Candice Bergen and Shatner, but I've a feeling that they'll never do that as it's too good of an idea.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
This show is so stupid and terrible and I don't know why I'm watching it anymore. Even the occasional Spader scene is not quite enough anymore.

But of course now I'll watch the next few episodes just to find out what happens with Mr. Kaplan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

What even was the loving POINT of this episode?

Jesus loving christ. Also, the new 'blender-the-baby' superbitch is almost guaranteed to be Lizzy's Evil Sister. Maybe a Half-Sister.

And they could not be telegraphing Samar's almost certainly grizzly end any more clearly. You could literally see in her face how badly she thought that scene between her and Aram was written.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 14, 2016

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And they could not be telegraphing Samar's almost certainly grizzly end any more clearly. You could literally see in her face how badly she thought that scene between her and Aram was written.

And of course the only other woman in the group is the one who can't put aside her feelings and do her job. Really progressive writing there.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

BrandonGK posted:

And of course the only other woman in the group is the one who can't put aside her feelings and do her job. Really progressive writing there.

Well, to be fair, Aram had trouble putting his feelings aside when it came time to kill the dude in the chopper. "I have already killed someone at one point in my life! I... I can't do it again! If I kill this guy, that's one more dead person on my conscious! Besides, it's not like he's going to kill millions of people if I don't stop him. Oh, I can't press the button, I simply can't! Oh, woe is me!!" Thankfully, we have Deputy Chief Fuckem there to press the kill button.

But to the main point about Samar... I must confess, I don't know when it happened, but by the time that scene came up, I had just surrendered to the soap opera nature of that whole ball of poo poo, and I was arguing with the TV, yelling at Samar. "Oh, so you got upset when the guy you were stringing along, letting him think he had a shot with you, decided to stop waiting for you, huh? Thought you could just keep him simmering on the stove until you needed a booty call, and he dared to get hot piece of rear end all on his own, and now you're so mad that he's not wrapped around your finger that you're going to leave?"

Yes. I got mad at Samar for a soap opera reason. Sneaky Blacklist bastards.

But, on the other hand, I immediately suspected that Old Man CabinPsycho probably had what's-her-face restrained. I was starting to think that I was wrong, but then at the end... leg chain!!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, to be fair, there could be a good reason for the leg chain. They're in the middle of a forest (or it's implied they are) and if she decides to go walkabout she'll surely die of hunger or thirst since she has no loving clue where she is.

But yeah, it's easier writing that this dude is just a male Kathy Bates and they're channeling "Misery," so that's what it'll be.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This season has been completely uninteresting to me. I think I'm going to tap out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I watched the second episode only so far and it's not even worth hatewatching anymore. I'm overseas right now so we'll see when I get back, but this trip might just get me over the edge of not watching this dumb show anymore.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But yeah, it's easier writing that this dude is just a male Kathy Bates and they're channeling "Misery," so that's what it'll be.

I hate that this is almost certainly going to end in a lot of pointless torture for a character I like at the hands of a creepy rapey-vibe dude in the woods, just so she can narratively ~learn her lesson~ before eventually getting rescued by Red once the writers decide she's been punished sufficiently for questioning him.

She was trying to get that entire family off the show, she should have been given a medal.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 14, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I was ready to quit when Mr. Kaplan was supposed to be dead but since she's back and they gave her a Misery plotline I'm unfortunately staying on board for this boring roller coaster of a show. She's going to kill Red and it's going to be fantastic.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
I haven't seen last weeks episode yet, but this show has gone to poop. Ever since they decided to make Liz fake her death, it dropped off immensely.

The best thing about this show has been, and still is, James Spader.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The more I think about it, the more the worst part of this episode was the baby-blendering superbitch who just kind of ~arrived~ without fanfare or the slightest inkling of who the gently caress she is (best guess: Lizzy's half-Cuban half-sister).

I mean, she obviously has Palpatine-level powers of persuasion and suggestion over Kirk, because he goes from "I'm not going to make a stem cell smoothie out of my granddaughter" to "you know, she's right, a stem cell smoothie sounds pretty good right about now" by the end of the episode.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Also her head is way too big for her face. Easter island lookin' grill

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, and I'm also skeptical that the writers have *ever* been to DC. Aram scoring what looks to be the hottest Pilates instructor in the mid-Atlantic region on a GS salary?

Around here it's not "what do you do for a living" that's first asked. It's "who do you work for," and if your answer is "the government," you'd better add "as a highly-paid contractor for a private company I can't name for legal reasons and I am wonderfully solvent with excellent credit!"

TL;DR: DC is terrible and Aram scoring a 10 on a GS salary is up there in unlikelihood with "rogue planet hitting Earth."

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh, and I'm also skeptical that the writers have *ever* been to DC. Aram scoring what looks to be the hottest Pilates instructor in the mid-Atlantic region on a GS salary?

Around here it's not "what do you do for a living" that's first asked. It's "who do you work for," and if your answer is "the government," you'd better add "as a highly-paid contractor for a private company I can't name for legal reasons and I am wonderfully solvent with excellent credit!"

TL;DR: DC is terrible and Aram scoring a 10 on a GS salary is up there in unlikelihood with "rogue planet hitting Earth."

Aram has a side deal with Red, as he is most of the time the third best character on the show.

I also didn't think they could make Liz worse but they did.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Aram has a side deal with Red, as he is most of the time the third best character on the show.

I could honestly see this.

"Aram, you've been an invaluable asset to me. And as compensation...so long as you can continue to keep that notoriously ~flappy~ mouth of yours shut, I'll introduce you to Maxine. She's a contortionist, Pilates instructor, all-around *lovely* gal...and an unrepentant yet *monogamous* nymphomaniac with low standards and a thing for mousy brown men with conservatively-groomed facial hair. She strips naked the second she gets home from work and performs amazing feats of carnality and debauchery upon the first person she sees, regardless of their gender. Have fun. Oh, and she likes whole wheat pasta - don't even *mention* carbs around her."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 18, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I could honestly see this.

"Aram, you've been an invaluable asset to me. And as compensation...so long as you can continue to keep that notoriously ~flappy~ mouth of yours shut, I'll introduce you to Maxine. She's a contortionist, Pilates instructor, all-around *lovely* gal...and an unrepentant yet *monogamous* nymphomaniac with low standards and a thing for mousy brown men with conservatively-groomed facial hair. She strips naked the second she gets home from work and performs amazing feats of carnality and debauchery upon the first person she sees, regardless of their gender. Have fun. Oh, and she likes whole wheat pasta - don't even *mention* carbs around her."
This thread is essentially turning into a "write for Spader hour" and, quite frankly, I'm perfectly fine with that.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
The show has always been bullshit but Kaplan shrugging off a point blank shooting to the face is some next level loving nonsense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

lol but seriously I posted:

The show has always been bullshit but Kaplan shrugging off a point blank shooting to the face is some next level loving nonsense.

That, and the fact that Spader (who's always been the most competent character even when upset) didn't have the smarts to go and confirm the kill because his ~feel feels~ were all hurt.

...and, now that I think about it, the fact that he KNEW she had a metal plate in her head because she explicitly *mentioned* how fat Greek bounty hunter guy was by her side when her 'head was split open.'

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Well then he clearly meant to not kill her.

I don't know which way is dumber.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

SIX CONTAINERS OF EVERY KIND OF BIOLOGICAL WEAPON

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

tao of lmao posted:

SIX CONTAINERS OF EVERY KIND OF BIOLOGICAL WEAPON

An attack on a nuclear plant that could kill millions is a b-story to a hunt for a missing baby.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Whoever said "you know what this show needs, *less* James Spader" in their writer's room needs to be shot. That being said, this episode, compared to the utter dogshit we've been forced to not only smell, but eat, wasn't half bad. Solid A story, with the Agnes stuff taking the B side. Negatives include no mention whatsoever of Mr. Kaplan other than "hey, where is she" and the fact that they didn't make it abundantly clear that Red flat out lied to and used the FBI by telling them about a fictitious anti-genius corporate concern in order to get his hands on super-lucrative ideas. And none of them realized it. And we still don't know who the Baby-Blendering Super Bitch is.

Also, nice to see The Cabal is still ~a thing~, even if they seem content to just rest on their evil Laurels (~see what I did there~) for the moment. Ressler's going to be extra pissy and homicidal next episode since Samar cockblocked his opportunity to brutally murder a bad guy this episode. It also from the preview seems to be an "all about the baby" episode next time, so yeah. :smith:

I also fail to see the :boom: moment in her plopping the DNA report down on his dinner table past making it clear to people who drink heavily when they watch this show - they'd already more or less loving established he was her father because he needs her loving 'whatever' to cure or ease his disease, and she knows he was close to her mother because of the 'time capsule.'

Tom is going to be Kirk's informant. He feels guilty about loving up the rescue attempt and now he's doing everything in his power to ensure Kirk doesn't hurt Agnes. In doing so, he'll irrevocably shatter his relationship with Liz, and that's why his spinoff show will be called 'Blacklist: Redemption.' He had the most down-time during this episode to narc to Kirk.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamnit. You're probaby going to be absolutely right about that spoiler.

Ugh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Gonz posted:

Goddamnit. You're probaby going to be absolutely right about that spoiler.

Ugh.

"Wait, there's nothing in this file about Kirk being in Russia..."

"Oh really? :stare:"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
So, who else thinks that there's a possibility that Aram's girlfriend is a spy?

I'm thinking the chances are 100%, but I'm willing to admit that there's a 0% chance of error that my theory is wrong. If I were to place odds on it, I'd say the odds were 1:1 that she's a spy. There's just way too much attention being paid to this otherwise needless character, and it'd getting conspicuous that none of the characters find it odd that Aram, the hyper-talkative bike-riding dork, managed to bag himself a perfect 10 all of the sudden.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

BIG HEADLINE posted:

and the fact that they didn't make it abundantly clear that Red flat out lied to and used the FBI by telling them about a fictitious anti-genius corporate concern in order to get his hands on super-lucrative ideas.

Well he only wanted one idea, which we don't know what it is yet. And we don't know how that is going to play into them getting back Agnes yet.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

An attack on a nuclear plant that could kill millions is a b-story to a hunt for a missing baby.

I'm actually kind of surprised Red hasn't laid down a sick burn yet about the FBI historically not being that great at finding kidnapped babies alive.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

tarlibone posted:

I'm thinking the chances are 100%, but I'm willing to admit that there's a 0% chance of error that my theory is wrong. If I were to place odds on it, I'd say the odds were 1:1 that she's a spy. There's just way too much attention being paid to this otherwise needless character, and it'd getting conspicuous that none of the characters find it odd that Aram, the hyper-talkative bike-riding dork, managed to bag himself a perfect 10 all of the sudden.

Yeah, there's basically no chance there isn't something up there.

And I won't be surprised at all if they do something dumb like if whatshername Samar actually quits and somehow ends up working for Kirk. Kaplan too, though with her being chained to the bed (lol) who knows what's going on there. Really though, throw in the Tom / Liz thing and maybe they'll just shuffle the cast at random where no one can follow what's going on and claim it's brilliant writing. :v:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 21, 2016

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I've started watching season 1 and I'm 18 episodes in and this show has an annoying amount of "we will talk about the stuff you really wanna hear about later"

thanks for reading my review. ok bye.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TBeats posted:

I've started watching season 1 and I'm 18 episodes in and this show has an annoying amount of "we will talk about the stuff you really wanna hear about later"

thanks for reading my review. ok bye.

It doesn't get much better. Season 2 is alright. NBC shows have an annoying amount of that "secret foreshadowing" poo poo because it takes a special kind of lovely to get your show cancelled on NBC once it starts, because every new show becomes the "one everyone's talking about" or "America's #1 new hit show" to distract people as if this were still an era where Nielsen ratings weren't publicly and easily accessible online. And they can't easily cancel lovely shows they've been talking up so much until they're sure no one will notice or care.

Basically, stop watching as soon as Lizzy announces she's pregnant.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Or, you can fast forward through everything that isn't James Spader telling a charming story to someone about a lovely cafe in (fill in the blank) then proceeds to shoot someone in the face.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It doesn't get much better. Season 2 is alright. NBC shows have an annoying amount of that "secret foreshadowing" poo poo because it takes a special kind of lovely to get your show cancelled on NBC once it starts, because every new show becomes the "one everyone's talking about" or "America's #1 new hit show" to distract people as if this were still an era where Nielsen ratings weren't publicly and easily accessible online. And they can't easily cancel lovely shows they've been talking up so much until they're sure no one will notice or care.

Basically, stop watching as soon as Lizzy announces she's pregnant.

Blacklist did really well in its first season and was one of if not the top show, same with Blindspot later on.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
meh.

and that might the boringest, dumbest preview I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Called it.

• Locked thread