Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

china bot posted:

the best part is still the pipe sticking out of the barn window in the background

Cindy Shitbird posted:

all I see when I look at it is this:

Vorkosigan posted:

I would have bought it, but:
File upload failed: Image dimensions exceed allowed dimensions of 90x25 pixels
:arghfist::mad:

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Imagine building a house so stupid that even it's smilie fails inspection.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I'll see if i can fix it when i get home from work in the morning.

Failing that, I'll become a mod so i can sign off on it as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Everyone arguing about pronunciation forgets that British English has a lot more regional dialects than you'd think, and in one you would pronounce hovel as "Ee, t'int so grand but's raah'inuf f'rus, coo'nt do nowt wi'bigger."

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The quotes are coming from inside the thread! :allears:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Dabir posted:

Everyone arguing about pronunciation forgets that British English has a lot more regional dialects than you'd think, and in one you would pronounce hovel as "Ee, t'int so grand but's raah'inuf f'rus, coo'nt do nowt wi'bigger."

Yorkshire? :haw:

People often forget that what we think of as a particular regional accent is often a gigantic group of accents and dialects along a spectrum from "says words like 'pillow' and 'there' a bit differently" to "I can't understand a word this motherfucker is saying, is he even speaking English?"

Most Americans know like, two British accents: an exaggerated Cockney stereotype a la My Fair Lady, and ultra-posh RP.

No doubt these ladies would be mistaken for Irish in many parts of the US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCOC1YwNwZw

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
As promised, a version that fits the restrictions:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Yesss you added the window.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Karate Bastard posted:

Guys. I just cracked Dutch.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Seriously. This exchange is the funniest stuff I've read all month.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

My [30F] new boyfriend [35M] is apparently the local creep.

Coucho Marx posted:

This was three pages ago, but I'm reading these out to my partner while she does other things, and she initially misheard this as "My [30F] new boyfriend [35M] is apparently the local Greek."

Cue great mental images of the boyfriend hastily pulling a blond wig over his black, curly hair when she gets home; her catching fleeting glimpses of him scarfing down dolmades; and him ducking down under his table when she walks past the town's Greek restaurant.

"What's your name?"

"George Papado-Jones. George Jones." *stuffs tzatziki and pita bread in a drawer*

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Haier posted:

Me: "What are your hobbies?"
Chinese girl: "TENNIS AND SWIMMING."
ME: (Realize I've heard this pair of hobbies way too many times, like it's one of the canned responses people use here when they don't know what to say) "Oh"
Chinese girl: "What's wrong?"
Me: "Nothing. Many Chinese people tell me they like these two sports."
Chinese girl: "That's discrimination. Chinese people aren't all exactly the same. Everyone can do what they want. These activities are enjoyed by all."
Me: "Yes, I agree. I didn't mean that."
Chinese girl: "You foreigners are always like this"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

This reads like Google Translate or a dialogue from an ESL textbook for some reason. Also why would two unrelated sports be a canned response? People who like sports know which ones they like. There is no case where somebody asks you what sports you like and you have to use some bullshit answer because you literally do not know how to respond.

Is it really that implausible that tennis and swimming are popular with Chinese sports fans?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The only problem is that the idiot had to qualify it by saying "Nothing. Many Chinese people tell me they like these two sports." He instantly separates himself from the culture he's in and passes judgment on it. I'd lay into his dumb rear end too.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

The only problem is that the idiot had to qualify it by saying "Nothing. Many Chinese people tell me they like these two sports." He instantly separates himself from the culture he's in and passes judgment on it. I'd lay into his dumb rear end too.

He literally could have just dropped "Chinese" from that sentence and it would have been fine and still got his dumb subtle implication across.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Separate from his maybe/maybe not racism, sometimes there really are "canned responses" in places. Might be to do with learning English in school. China is definitely a place where somebody would throw out a vague lie when asked about their interests, totally off the cuff. Especially in a strangers on a date setting. Reminds me in a similar vein, one of the funniest things about scam artists in lots of parts of the world is that they often have touchstone topics to quickly get in your confidence. They all seem to get it from the same place in some kind of scam training school.

Alternatively, lots of people in China love swimming and tennis?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's not about what he said, it's how he chose to say it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Typical Pubbie posted:

Approximately one week after the murder of Raymond Smith, on or about May 27, Dahmer lured another young man to his apartment. On this occasion, however, Dahmer himself accidentally consumed the drink laden with sedatives intended for consumption by his guest. When he awoke the following day, he discovered his intended victim had stolen several items of his clothing, $300, and a watch. Dahmer never reported this incident to the police, although on May 29 he divulged to his probation officer that he had been robbed.
THMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Cubone posted:

Dahmer: "well, if ya can't laugh at yourself!"

Cubone posted:

The unidentified young man escaped without injury when Dahmer slipped on a banana peel and when he hit the ground he farted so hard he shat his pants.

Cubone posted:

*Dahmer sits up in his bed chewing on a bloody disembodied organ next to a body*
Dahmer: "Wait a minute... this is my kidney!"
*body sits up*
Victim: "Dah-mer!"

🎶 stan-ding talllllll / on the wings of my dream

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Jeza posted:

China is definitely a place where somebody would throw out a vague lie when asked about their interests, totally off the cuff.

how do you figure that's more of a Thing in China? people wanna make themselves sound interesting & active everywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlphaKretin posted:

Yesss you added the window.

Quality workmanship. Unlike groverhaus itself.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grandmother of Five posted:

how do you figure that's more of a Thing in China? people wanna make themselves sound interesting & active everywhere.
He's from the China thread, they have a bizarre hate-on for non-western cultures over there.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Grandmother of Five posted:

There's more of a cultural focus on being seen as good in China than many in the West would be used to, in my opinion. People pad the truth over here, no doubt, but telling outright lies about ourselves when asked is pretty uncommon, and being caught in a lie is deeply embarrassing. How people in the West might treat a CV is a pretty good way of imagining how some Chinese people view a first date.

To put this another way, if you've ever done oral examinations in a foreign language and get asked questions about yourself, you'll often find lying is the easiest way, rather than striving for total messy accuracy trying to tell the truth. There's probably a big overlap between being asked questions on a date in a foreign language and that, actually.

There is a lot of habitual lying in China, something that people in the West generally find shocking or disarming. But it simply doesn't have the same negative connotations it has in the Western tradition, and it's just part of what keeps the wheel turning. Everywhere is different.

e:

Stuntman posted:

He's from the China thread, they have a bizarre hate-on for non-western cultures over there.

am I?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's like how people list rock climbing as a hobby because they went one time

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Jeza posted:

There is a lot of habitual lying in China, something that people in the West generally find shocking or disarming. But it simply doesn't have the same negative connotations it has in the Western tradition, and it's just part of what keeps the wheel turning. Everywhere is different.

Uh, what? Do you conceptualize all of the west as an idealized version of southern USA or something? There's absolutely habitual lying in Western culture, if people find anything disarming or shocking it would just be that what people reflexively lie about is different.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Uh, what? Do you conceptualize all of the west as an idealized version of southern USA or something? There's absolutely habitual lying in Western culture, if people find anything disarming or shocking it would just be that what people reflexively lie about is different.

Sure, that expresses what I meant better. Thanks.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

i like how the quotes thread briefly morphs into every thread it touches like it's a retarded t-1000

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Schlonged Again posted:

i like how the quotes thread briefly morphs into every thread it touches like it's a retarded t-1000

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Schlonged Again posted:

welcome to pyf

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
in that case we need a sex tourist turned expat goon to seamlessly segue from a story about how the chinese have incredibly gross eating habits & into a story about trying to rent a 14 year old prostitute

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nevermind that hogwash, I need to know whether this is a :groverhaus: or a :grovertoot:, stat!

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Karate Bastard posted:

Nevermind that hogwash, I need to know whether this is a :groverhaus: or a :grovertoot:, stat!

I'd say toot, because it isn't actually the house it is the shed. Truth in smilies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:gtoot: might work better. Brevity is easier to remember and like gently caress do you want people combing that smilies page when they forget. Incidentally when is that thing getting a makeover for the hot fresh world of 2008?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mind the walrus posted:

:gtoot: might work better. Brevity is easier to remember and like gently caress do you want people combing that smilies page when they forget. Incidentally when is that thing getting a makeover for the hot fresh world of 2008?

Yeah, I spend more time trying to find that one drat smilie than I making the post sometimes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How about just :grover: ?

It's a, uh, vanity smilie, for a very specific kind of vanity.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jesus Christ posted:

why don't they just put car gasoline tanks in motorcycles to solve this problem

Jonny 290 posted:

could you maybe napkin sketch what you think this solution might end up looking like?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I was about to contribute to the Grovoot debate, but then this:

has left me literally in tears. Good going Kennel

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Choco1980 posted:

I was about to contribute to the Grovoot debate, but then this:

has left me literally in tears. Good going Kennel
Not sure if I like this particular reimagining of "Angel of the City".

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
So :grovertoot: it is. Thank Christ we were able to clear that up so quickly.

Thank you Cindy Shitbird for your keen eye and astute artistry!

:neckbeard:

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Oct 21, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
:woop: :derp: :grovertoot: :derp: :woop:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karate Bastard posted:

So :grovertoot: it is. Thank Christ we were able to clear that up so quickly.

Thank you Cindy Shitbird for your keen eye and astute artistry!

:neckbeard:

:tipshat:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
:grovertoot:

the best part of this emote is the pipe sticking out of the window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

china bot posted:

:grovertoot:

the best part of this emote is the pipe sticking out of the window

I also like the party hat, music note, and building part.