Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The game looks and runs fine at a comfortable 40fps on medium-high settings. But my laptop is generating a lot of heat after a while.

Are there certain settings I can lower that can help this? Or is it something I have to live with because it's not a desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Sogno di Volare isn't on the soundtrack!? :argh:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Do making new cities cost you happiness/amenities points globally like in Civ V, or are they self-contained like Civ IV's cities were and you have to pump their happiness up with local luxuries/buildings?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Olive Branch posted:

Do making new cities cost you happiness/amenities points globally like in Civ V, or are they self-contained like Civ IV's cities were and you have to pump their happiness up with local luxuries/buildings?

There is no such thing as global happiness anymore, it's all local

Happiness is actually not nearly as important as in previous civs, it feels like. Excess happiness gives you boosts to culture/faith/production/gold(?), lack of happiness stalls growth

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
So it seems like spending money is a thing you do more often this time, both for buying stuff and getting tiles.

Do builders increase in cost, or is that just settlers? I feel like I should be making more of them for regular tile improvements, not just resources.

Game is very fun. I'm pleased with the level of complexity.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for a long time i played civ 5 on a broken laptop and got used to strategic view, to the point that when i built my new pc this year i still played on strategic sometimes. i have no reason to play in strategic now but i turned it on and it looks just like a loving board game holy poo poo thats so good!!!!

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I must be retarded. How the gently caress do I negotiate peace with a civ I'm at war with? Harald declared war on me because I settled too close and I've completely crushed his army, but opening the diplomacy screen gives zero options to talk with him; literally the entire section is just gone, and all I can do is click on the "intel report" stuff.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

While the amenities are local, the luxury resources are (as far as I know) distributed automatically based on who needs it most, with one luxury resource feeding 4 cities at most. So making a new city could lower happiness in your already established ones, just not in a direct way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mmkay posted:

While the amenities are local, the luxury resources are (as far as I know) distributed automatically based on who needs it most, with one luxury resource feeding 4 cities at most. So making a new city could lower happiness in your already established ones, just not in a direct way.

Is that the only mechanic that punishes expansion? There has to be more, right? I can't really find any good info in-game on the impact of founding new cities. Does it still at least make techs and civics cost more with more cities?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I must be retarded. How the gently caress do I negotiate peace with a civ I'm at war with? Harald declared war on me because I settled too close and I've completely crushed his army, but opening the diplomacy screen gives zero options to talk with him; literally the entire section is just gone, and all I can do is click on the "intel report" stuff.

How long has the war lasted for? You can't make peace within 10 turns of war being declared. Likewise, you can't declare war within 10 turns of peace being declared.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is that the only mechanic that punishes expansion? There has to be more, right? I can't really find any good info in-game on the impact of founding new cities. Does it still at least make techs and civics cost more with more cities?

I know for sure settlers and builders increase in cost. Not sure about anything else. From what I've seen in the preview streams/Youtube videos tech and civic cost doesn't increase, though I didn't check how it behaves in the current build.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

How long has the war lasted for? You can't make peace within 10 turns of war being declared. Likewise, you can't declare war within 10 turns of peace being declared.

No idea, but I guess that was it. A few turns later the option to "negotiate peace" suddenly popped up.

Some kind of anything, like just having the button grayed out, would be a big improvement.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mmkay posted:

I know for sure settlers and builders increase in cost. Not sure about anything else. From what I've seen in the preview streams/Youtube videos tech and civic cost doesn't increase, though I didn't check how it behaves in the current build.

So they limit growth by increasing settler costs over time? That's one way to do it, I guess. I assume you mean it increases every time you build one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 21, 2016

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
They have purposefully cut most of the limits on going wide, so yes, amenities and increasingly expensive settlers are pretty much it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess I'll have to see how this plays out in practice. I decided to pick Rome and go wide, choosing the settler build bonus policy. Unfortunately there wasn't a ton of land to grab in my start. What do you think the best civ to go wide with? Rome seemed decent for the free roads and buildings.

I also feel like I should drop out of my Civ V habit of giving my cities lots of room, trying to avoid crowding them together too much. REX strategies where you have lots of cities 3 tiles apart may be more viable like this.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So they limit growth by increasing settler costs over time? That's one way to do it, I guess. I assume you mean it increases every time you build one.
Settlers get more expensive, but worse than that districts get more and more expensive as you build more too.

You can spam out infinite cities with enough spare production, but they're not going to do much of anything if they can't afford to build districts.

Mind you they'll never be a liability except for spreading your luxuries a bit thinner, but they'll definitely provide you with diminishing returns compared to your first cities.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
any ideas on how to mod out the district price increase as city count increases?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eiba posted:

Settlers get more expensive, but worse than that districts get more and more expensive as you build more too.

You can spam out infinite cities with enough spare production, but they're not going to do much of anything if they can't afford to build districts.

Mind you they'll never be a liability except for spreading your luxuries a bit thinner, but they'll definitely provide you with diminishing returns compared to your first cities.

Honestly by putting the good "tall" buildings in Districts and putting the expansion penalty there, it allows you to more freely build smaller cities for the purpose of blocking off land and claiming resources.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Eiba posted:

Just for clarification - each built district increases the cost of future districts (not counting unique districts I guess)? Number of cities itself doesn't matter?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

That's rad. I very, very rarely ever had more than three cities when playing Civ V, so that's nice.

Doing a wide, religious victory Russia right now. So, so glad religious victory is back.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Eiba posted:

This goody hut of a post just gave me a Eureka! in the tech of Why Production Is A Bitch

o god im the worst

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2022

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

For my first game, I randomed the Aztecs and spawned in the middle of five different civs.

I have been at war constantly. I'm glad I build a ton of eagle warriors early because now I have more builders than I will ever be able to use.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Continents are a bit bugged, eh?

Instantly got the eureka boost for finding a continent on my first turn.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

What's the bug? I'm not sure what features the game uses to decide on continent boundaries but discovering a continent on your first turn when you spawn on the boundary seems reasonable.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Offer Open Borders, request Open Borders

This offer is not acceptable

Ok what would make this offer acceptable

Open Borders for Open Borders

:downs:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Continents aren't just separate islands. Think Eurasia or North and South America.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Chin Strap posted:

Continents aren't just separate islands. Think Eurasia or North and South America.

Good point. Always thought of them as separate land masses. Just feels a bit weird to instantly say "you've discovered a new continent!" on my first turn, where I'm just sat on a single patch of dirt.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Did my first game with America on a small map on Prince difficulty. I did a small bit of early warmongering and got some good cities out of the deal, and then I settled in for a science victory, but as I was just getting started on the space race projects I ended up with a sudden cultural victory. Okay then!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got like 9 simultaneous achievements when I won my first game as Rome. Also, one of the continents (on a fractal Pangea) was a near-vertical strip, about five tiles wide, sandwiched between two vastly bigger continents.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Went into a prince game as the roman empire and got my poo poo kicked in by barbarians by turn 20. This is not the civ I'm used to.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

This guy keeps breaking his promise to not convert my cities, and I get a whole 'Broken Promise!" pop-up thing, and it lists City Conversion under Casus Belli but I'm still only allowed to declare 'Surprise War'. What's up?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2022

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Was playing through the tutorial and game hard locked on me. You live another day Gilgamesh.

Actually happened twice in the hour I've played. Hope this isn't an ongoing problem.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ThirdEmperor posted:

They have purposefully cut most of the limits on going wide, so yes, amenities and increasingly expensive settlers are pretty much it.

I'm hearing mixed things here - is it better or worse to go wide, or is the difference less of a line of demarcation and more a question of asset distribution?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scythia is hilariously OP

:horse: domination

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I always feel like I must be doing something wrong. I build as many slingers and warriors as I can afford and I still get overwhelmed by barbarians on prince difficulty within the first 50 turns. I want to play as china and just poo poo out all of the wonders in peace man. Maybe I should go Aztecs or Scythia for the first games.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Whole lotta AI:s declaring war and soon after offering money in a peace deal without even pretending to threaten my cities. If you people want to give me your gold then just send it directly without the war declaration nonsense. :colbert:

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I realise this isn't likely of use to anyone other than me, but apparently Civ VI works pretty well on a Surface Pro 4 i5!

Here it is in motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG9JKaKAVJM

Now to decide whether to this crappy Filipino hotel wifi will finish downloading any time soon...