Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Wasn't there a mage type boss in one of the games that was susceptible to berserk, thus making the fight trivial that way? That sounds like a thing.

I doubt it, every mage-type enemy in FF games I've seen has secretly had terrifying physical attack and will ruin your day hard if you think casting Berserk is going to help you at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The berserk glitch in FF5 is really cool.

For people who aren't familiar/don't Fiesta: you can use Mix to berserk any enemy in the game, including bosses who are immune to berserk. Because of how the game handles in-battle scripts, like enemy phase transitions, is having the enemy instantly run a hidden command (I think all three SNES games do this?) berserk prevents them from doing so and you can bugger up the battle.

The most infamous use is that if you do it to Neo Exdeath's first form you never have to fight the real final boss. The game sits for a second when he's supposed to form change, then it kicks you into the ending cutscene.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The White Dragon posted:

I doubt it, every mage-type enemy in FF games I've seen has secretly had terrifying physical attack and will ruin your day hard if you think casting Berserk is going to help you at all.

Closest is the boss at the top of Fanatics Tower in FF6 which couldn't switch resistances if you berserked him, but could still use magic and cast Ultima on death.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Okay, WoFF, you're putting in Xenogears, and it can even transform into a jet mode. You've sold me, where do I go to buy every copy of your game?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
God dammit. Now I have to play the game when I buy it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Okay, WoFF, you're putting in Xenogears, and it can even transform into a jet mode. You've sold me, where do I go to buy every copy of your game?

:stare: IS that loving Weltall

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Wasn't there a mage type boss in one of the games that was susceptible to berserk, thus making the fight trivial that way? That sounds like a thing.

there's an giant golem boss in ffx that when berserked would only spam a percentage damage attack, which never kills even at 1 hp

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lot of the mid to late-game random enemies in the DS version of FFIV had absolutely terrible party-wide attacks that you could avoid having to deal with by using berserk and then just buffing up your party's evasion to deal with the physical attacks

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Just finished the Tower of Babil in ff4, I forgot how many characters die in this game. The writing and story certainly don't linger on any given death though. Pretty annoying that the equipment on a character leaves when they leave the party.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Just finished the Tower of Babil in ff4, I forgot how many characters die in this game. The writing and story certainly don't linger on any given death though. Pretty annoying that the equipment on a character leaves when they leave the party.

When I started trying to put together gimmick Record Keeper lineups based on character themes, I had to skip 'Team Dead Party Member' because it was too easy. You could make an entire team of people who died in FFIV, and it's not even the only game you can do that with.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Rename this game World of Square-Enix

Also I have no problem with any of this, holy poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Using this in my stack I dont even care if it's the worst

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gologle posted:

:stare: IS that loving Weltall

No, it's Xenogears. THE Xenogears.

I wouldn't be opposed to Weltall though. And hey, if this one can transform, they can throw in a Weltall-ID too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'll show you something that's Weltall.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

When I started trying to put together gimmick Record Keeper lineups based on character themes, I had to skip 'Team Dead Party Member' because it was too easy. You could make an entire team of people who died in FFIV, and it's not even the only game you can do that with.

The newer versions of FF2 literally do that in the game; you take control of all the dead guys for their own afterlife bonus dungeon thing.

That idea owns for FFRK tho. You could do something like Galuf, Aeris, Tellah, Leo, and maybe Tidus if you wanted to be cheeky for the Dead Guy All Stars.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The einhander thing was just a preorder bonus from some store in Japan, right? Any word on how to get that in the US?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I would give anything for a GoT-style series based on Final Fantasy IV. There's so many moments that would be so epic, and no one is safe except Cecil, basically, so you get that same GoT feeling.

edit:
Season 1- Beginning through becoming a Paladin
Season 2- Paladin through Rydia returning to save them while Golbez gets the crystal from the Dwarves
Season 3- That through Kain betraying you again, helping Golbez get the last crystal
Season 4- Moon poo poo

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 21, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Tellah obviously would be played by Sean Bean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

The einhander thing was just a preorder bonus from some store in Japan, right? Any word on how to get that in the US?

No, Einhander is a default unit in the game. It shows up relatively late in the game but can be recruited entirely normally.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

bilperkins2 posted:

I would give anything for a GoT-style series based on Final Fantasy IV. There's so many moments that would be so epic, and no one is safe except Cecil, basically, so you get that same GoT feeling.

It's fft

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

No, Einhander is a default unit in the game. It shows up relatively late in the game but can be recruited entirely normally.

gently caress yeah.

I suppose saying if there are any other surprises would be an NDA thing, huh?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

there's an giant golem boss in ffx that when berserked would only spam a percentage damage attack, which never kills even at 1 hp

just to be pedantic, it's not berserk, it's provoke. so you can have Tidus (who is probably the one you'll have it on) provoke it and just watch him get blasted in the face the whole time. I don't think it wears off, either, though I might be misremembering that part.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
FYI: Mobius Final Fantasy is getting a Windows version. Would not be surprised if a PS4 version follows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epn7jAXXOTY

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

wizard on a water slide posted:

The newer versions of FF2 literally do that in the game; you take control of all the dead guys for their own afterlife bonus dungeon thing.

That idea owns for FFRK tho. You could do something like Galuf, Aeris, Tellah, Leo, and maybe Tidus if you wanted to be cheeky for the Dead Guy All Stars.

Soul of Rebirth is awesome, yeah. Dawn of Souls was actually my first ever FF game, so I'm pretty familiar with it. Hell, I beat FFI Omega and Shinryu as my first ever superbosses before even playing any other FF games.

And I had a lot of fun with trying to compose gimmick teams for RK, especially ones that were halfway viable. Team Dead Party Member was too easy, but Team Rotting Corpse (people who died before the game started) was great fun. I remember Team 'Just Here To Get Paid' had a great selection of physical characters but nearly no mages, Team Dead Girlfriend had to be expanded into Team Dead Girlfriend Or Boyfriend to get a healer, Team Under Tens is actually a totally viable mage team, and Team Amnesia handles pretty well.

The hardest team to work out was Team Traitor, because it really becomes an issue of definitions.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
FFRK actually has some gimmick teams built in! There's the obvious record synergy (characters and items from a certain game get a boost in that game's fights) and nightmare synergy (characters with a maxed out skillset and their equipment get a boost in that skillset's nightmare, for example Lulu and Vivi and Exdeath all get nightmare synergy in the black mage nightmare), but the upcoming gold festival actually adds some gimmick synergies, like "male characters," "characters under 15," and "nonhuman characters"

After playing the WoFF demo on vita today, I actually cancelled my preorder and switched it out to PS4. It doesn't look terrible, but the framerate and models are bad enough that I'd prefer the much sharper, nicer-looking alternative even if I can't play it in bed.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
remote play is a thing, hth

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Cleretic posted:

One thing that you gotta say is great about FF is how memorable all the charcters are. I basically remember every charcter from all the FF games I've played. Whereas I have no idea who was in Star Ocean x or Tales games.

Alot of that is hate as well as love. I really hated Squall when I first played VIII. But his willingness to shut the hell up is endearing in its own way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

One thing that you gotta say is great about FF is how memorable all the charcters are. I basically remember every charcter from all the FF games I've played. Whereas I have no idea who was in Star Ocean x or Tales games.

Alot of that is hate as well as love. I really hated Squall when I first played VIII. But his willingness to shut the hell up is endearing in its own way.

FF is genuinely good about making memorable casts. The worst you can say is that you forget about a few minor characters but even FF6 (which has by far the largest cast) is almost entirely memorable except maybe Gogo who is memorable for being so frigging weird as a hidden character.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

FFXIII has an angry guy come back to get his vengeance on the party in an epic boss fight where he's in a jet plane or something, and I honestly couldn't remember who he was or what he wanted vengeance for.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ImpAtom posted:

FF is genuinely good about making memorable casts. The worst you can say is that you forget about a few minor characters but even FF6 (which has by far the largest cast) is almost entirely memorable except maybe Gogo who is memorable for being so frigging weird as a hidden character.
How can you forget the guy who can copy other people, but remember that yeti? I only remember he existed because he randomly spawned in Narshe, posing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wendell posted:

FFXIII has an angry guy come back to get his vengeance on the party in an epic boss fight where he's in a jet plane or something, and I honestly couldn't remember who he was or what he wanted vengeance for.
Don't worry, the story forgot you fought him in that boss fight at all. Worst Cid ever. I'm glad they are making up for it by letting you take a VR car ride with the best Cid ever.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

zedprime posted:

Don't worry, the story forgot you fought him in that boss fight at all. Worst Cid ever. I'm glad they are making up for it by letting you take a VR car ride with the best Cid ever.

Wrong guy, that wasn't even Cid. It's Rosch who comes back out of nowhere demanding revenge, when he was only in like, two cutscenes in Chapter 7, the latter of which seemed to kill him. And then he shows up for a boss fight like 15 hours later because??????

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Gologle posted:

remote play is a thing, hth
Remote play is good but I am on a lovely Hawaii-connection so the input lag is intense.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

How can you forget the guy who can copy other people, but remember that yeti? I only remember he existed because he randomly spawned in Narshe, posing.

Umaro is kind of memorable for being the worst party member in a game with cyan, the dude that takes like four turns of locking down the entire party to do moves as strong as the Figaro Bros.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Umaro is kind of memorable for being the worst party member in a game with cyan, the dude that takes like four turns of locking down the entire party to do moves as strong as the Figaro Bros.

Umaro can actually be geared pretty well to function as a dude who just smashes stuff very fast. He's mechanically better than Cyan just boring and dumb.

Cyan is the only party member more useful as a imp than a character short of abusing the psycho Cyan glitch.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Doesn't setting up Psycho Cyan involve him being imped anyway?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Last Celebration posted:

IIRC the only good thing about the iPhone version of FF6 is that Cyan's Bushido now passively charges when you select it so you can continue the battle while it charges. It also charges faster too.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You can toss green cherries at Umaro to power him up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

Doesn't setting up Psycho Cyan involve him being imped anyway?

There's a way to trigger it with him being KO'd IIRC though I think in the Advance version he HAS to be imped since they fixed the other way.

Edit: Oh no, I'm wrong, it's KO and then Imp so yeah, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Gologle posted:

IIRC the only good thing about the iPhone version of FF6 is that Cyan's Bushido now passively charges when you select it so you can continue the battle while it charges. It also charges faster too.

It also has nicer enemy sprites