Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I cannot deal with this Hulu/CW poo poo right now. I just cannot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yup, the new deal is that Netflix will have the full new season of the CW shows 8 days after the season concludes.

Thats pretty rad. But I don't think I can leave Supernatural until the season ends.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I contemplated doing it simply because Netflix is a hell of a lot higher quality than any cable source, but I relented. I still might for a few other shows on the network to keep my watching plate a bit less during the season.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

bull3964 posted:

I contemplated doing it simply because Netflix is a hell of a lot higher quality than any cable source, but I relented. I still might for a few other shows on the network to keep my watching plate a bit less during the season.

I can't. Like half of what i watched last year was on CW. That horrified me when i realized it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it just me, or is it a bit odd that they keep sticking an actor that is well known for depression problems and fighting suicide into situations where he either kills himself, tries to kill himself, or fake kills himself?

It must have happened like a dozen, two dozen times by now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He acts the hell out of it because he can draw from real life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I legitimately expected that they'd break Sam out at the end of that episode, so good job with the suspense. I'm betting he'll be free by the end of Ep 3 though.

Also I'm getting the sense that the Men of Letters are going to turn into allies by about midseason when Lucifer comes back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's nice to see Sam be badass though after all the poo poo that he's been through. Break me? gently caress you!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

computer parts posted:

I legitimately expected that they'd break Sam out at the end of that episode, so good job with the suspense. I'm betting he'll be free by the end of Ep 3 though.

Also I'm getting the sense that the Men of Letters are going to turn into allies by about midseason when Lucifer comes back.

This part of the plot will never make any sense in the show world. Sam and Dean have been dealing with and fighting world ending events for years now, fought sealed evil God himself locked away, royally hosed up Heaven itself via Metatron, fought and 'defeated' God's sister and met with God himself, and now some Eurotrash high society elites are going to roll up and poo poo talk them about being amateurs who don't know what they are doing and how America is basically the lawless uncivilized rear end in a top hat of the supernatural world.

It doesn't make for a compelling threat, especially given that loving Lucifer is out and about and I really doubt the EuroMoL could handily dispatch him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really enjoyed the scene with Mary reminiscing with the Impala.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Some Numbers posted:

I really enjoyed the scene with Mary reminiscing with the Impala.

The realization by Dean that his parents had sex in the back of the Impala was the best part of that scene. He may have even been conceived there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pentyne posted:

This part of the plot will never make any sense in the show world. Sam and Dean have been dealing with and fighting world ending events for years now, fought sealed evil God himself locked away, royally hosed up Heaven itself via Metatron, fought and 'defeated' God's sister and met with God himself, and now some Eurotrash high society elites are going to roll up and poo poo talk them about being amateurs who don't know what they are doing and how America is basically the lawless uncivilized rear end in a top hat of the supernatural world.

It doesn't make for a compelling threat, especially given that loving Lucifer is out and about and I really doubt the EuroMoL could handily dispatch him.

Yeah, it seemed pretty laughable how she was bragging about how locked down they have things in Britain, when you can fit like two Britains inside of Texas.

I wonder if the next episode will explain those enchanted knuckles or whatever that lady was using to chump the poo poo out of Dean and Cass, two characters who have been shown to have no problem beating the unholy poo poo out of people on multiple occasions.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I can't. Like half of what i watched last year was on CW. That horrified me when i realized it.

Just watch it on the cw app or website, they put it up the next day and you don't need a cable login or anything. I can't believe all this crying about having to watch a couple minutes of ads.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 16, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

pentyne posted:

The 'bad at their jobs' jab would have made a lot more sense against the american MoL. They had the best occult library in america, actual wizards on staff, and a sweet high tech (for the time) base. North America is a lot bigger and more complicated to defend than the UK, to cover the whole thing the same way they would have had to increase membership at least a hundred fold and set up safe houses in every state. Instead they were happy to remain a tiny secret society, and occasionally farm out work to ignorant hunters. The slapdash nature of occult defence in NA is probably a big part of the reason why there are soooo many 'foreign' monsters here.

Blaming random hunters for the fact that the US MoL failed is foolish though. Most US hunters are just guys who had a loved one get eaten by a monster, and then they take up the cause of fighting monsters. Most of them start with no more occult knowledge than what they can find the public library.

She doesn't seem to have any idea just how bad the situation in the US is though. She wanted to know names, hierarchy, meeting places and dead drops. Things have never been that organized, and in the last 10 years like 90% of the hunters have died.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

She doesn't seem to have any idea just how bad the situation in the US is though. She wanted to know names, hierarchy, meeting places and dead drops. Things have never been that organized, and in the last 10 years like 90% of the hunters have died.

It seems weird that they were watching things close enough to know everything about the Winchesters as far back as the apocalypse, but somehow are unaware of the lack of organization of hunters in the US or that most of them are dead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

raditts posted:

It seems weird that they were watching things close enough to know everything about the Winchesters as far back as the apocalypse, but somehow are unaware of the lack of organization of hunters in the US or that most of them are dead.

It must be that they are really good at keeping themselves secret! We just need to find these secret masters, then we'll never need to deal with the incompetent Winchester boys ever again. :newlol:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

raditts posted:

Also, weird that they're super aware of what the Winchesters have been up to for the last decade, yet apparently isolationist enough to not intervene in any of the previous dozen or so world-ending catastrophes. If Sam and Dean are such amateurs, why did they let them handle saving the world the previous several times that has happened?

My biggest complaint is how nerfed they've made Castiel. Angels were supposed to be ridiculous badasses who are absolute tanks in a battle context. And he's getting knocked around like some random chump. You'd think he could demolish this snarky British woman, or more to the point that these people educated in the Occult would be more reverent or mystified by a literal Angel of God walking among them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xealot posted:

Also, weird that they're super aware of what the Winchesters have been up to for the last decade, yet apparently isolationist enough to not intervene in any of the previous dozen or so world-ending catastrophes. If Sam and Dean are such amateurs, why did they let them handle saving the world the previous several times that has happened?

My biggest complaint is how nerfed they've made Castiel. Angels were supposed to be ridiculous badasses who are absolute tanks in a battle context. And he's getting knocked around like some random chump. You'd think he could demolish this snarky British woman, or more to the point that these people educated in the Occult would be more reverent or mystified by a literal Angel of God walking among them.

Angels are just another monster.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It looked like the knuckledusters had Enochian sigils on them to me (although that's no excuse for Dean, but then again he was just T-boned).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

pentyne posted:

Yeah, Sam should have just said "you know, I was just palling around with God. You know, THE God. With a capital "G." Who are you again?"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Xealot posted:

You think angels are bad, compare the generic demon mooks this episode with season 1 Meg. They don't even do the "wave their hands and throw you across the room" thing anymore.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 16, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

raditts posted:

Just watch it on the cw app or website, they put it up the next day and you don't need a cable login or anything. I can't believe all this crying about having to watch a couple minutes of ads.

Hey man, i was just over here in my Hulu cocoon and i suddenly didn't have all my shows. Also CW doesn't have a roku app so i have to watch on my computer, not my super awesome 50" with surround sound and a comfy couch.

I am inconvenienced!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

raditts posted:

You think angels are bad, compare the generic demon mooks this episode with season 1 Meg. They don't even do the "wave their hands and throw you across the room" thing anymore.

To be fair, we've since learned there are a lot of levels of demons, and some of them are low level lackeys who just do the demon equivalent of shuffling papers. In Hell, these were probably the guys who filed reports for Crowley and came to his throne room with figures on torture.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Hey man, i was just over here in my Hulu cocoon and i suddenly didn't have all my shows. Also CW doesn't have a roku app so i have to watch on my computer, not my super awesome 50" with surround sound and a comfy couch.

I am inconvenienced!

The gently caress you talking about? CW has an excellent Roku app. I use it often.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I am inconvenienced!

If you have a Chromecast you can host cast the Chrome tab that has the CW going to your TV. :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Xealot posted:

She had those bitchin' knucks. If they know enough to do a banishment spell on an angel, the MOL probably have some anti angel weaponry.

PLus we have no idea what Cass's level of ability/power is at since he gave Lucifer a ride, and got ripped out. He could be healed by Chuck and back to full fighting strength, but considering he needed to steal a truck, guessing he's not exactly top tier anymore.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

GreenNight posted:

The gently caress you talking about? CW has an excellent Roku app. I use it often.

Wha? :psyduck: i looked the other day and i found nothing. Welp.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

pentyne posted:

How many of those problems have they caused themselves though? If they never existed, is the world destroyed or is it actually a lot safer because all the demons are still in hell, the angels are still in heaven and the leviathans are still in purgatory?

Blaming random hunters for the fact that the US MoL failed is foolish though. Most US hunters are just guys who had a loved one get eaten by a monster, and then they take up the cause of fighting monsters. Most of them start with no more occult knowledge than what they can find the public library.
Which actually is a really good point against Sam and Dean, who have a secure base with a huge library of occult information and know a bunch of other hunters but never share any of their toys or try to organise any kind of support network.

raditts posted:

I think the idea is that they just can't believe it. How dumb would you have to be to not have any way of sharing information and resources? Basically, some characters in the show are finally noticing what everyone watching it has been aware of for ages.

Xealot posted:

Or they know all about angels and how to fight them because they're actually good at what they do.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

i have to watch on my computer, not my super awesome 50" with surround sound and a comfy couch.
You don't have a HDMI cable?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astroman posted:

To be fair, we've since learned there are a lot of levels of demons, and some of them are low level lackeys who just do the demon equivalent of shuffling papers. In Hell, these were probably the guys who filed reports for Crowley and came to his throne room with figures on torture.

Also the dudes in that episode didn't interact with anyone but Crowley.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

How many of those problems have they caused themselves though? If they never existed, is the world destroyed or is it actually a lot safer because all the demons are still in hell, the angels are still in heaven and the leviathans are still in purgatory?

Hard to say how much of it would have gone down.

That first hell gate thing probably could have been opened anyway. Yellow Eyes had lots of juiced up kids. I don't actually remember how that even opened anymore, but I think the ghost of their dad helped close it?

The angels had literally been conspiring against Sam and Dean since before they were conceived to ensure proper archangel vessels for Mike and Lucy would exist. In that one episode we learned they'd died and been brought back lots of times. Way more times than they remembered. They weren't going to be allowed to stay dead while Lucifer and Michael were still getting ready for the final battle. So Dean's deal with the crossroads demon to have Sam brought back that first time was probably pointless. If he hadn't done it the Angels would have brought him back anyway. No harm, no foul.

Letting Lucifer out of the cage, okay the boys did that, but since they were tricked into by actual Angels you'd have to be really petty to hold it against them.

Realistically I think everything in the first 5 seasons was ultimately out of their hands. They were puppets for forces they could barely comprehend. Managing to lock Lucy (and Mike) back in the cage was pretty much the only time they managed to go off script, and it was probably a good thing.

Cas could be considered partly responsible for the Angels getting cast out of heaven and for the Leviathans getting loose, but I don't think Sam and Dean could.

The Darkness is totally on them, Dean could have been exiled to another planet and this one would have been fine. I"m not sure the UK MoL have any way to know about that though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Castiel always forgets he has telekinesis.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tiggum posted:

A decent point since a lot of the setup for the first five seasons is a result of all the Winchesters loving sacrificing themselves and making demon deals to save one another. But if they never existed, then Hardison from Leverage would still have opened the gates of hell, and he wouldn't have had Sam to stop him. There probably would have just been some other "chosen ones" or whatever to play the whole thing out.

On the other hand, if Dean had just let Sam stay dead, he could have still killed Hardison and Yellow Eyes and closed the gates of hell, and maybe it all would have ended right there? Who knows.

quote:

Which actually is a really good point against Sam and Dean, who have a secure base with a huge library of occult information and know a bunch of other hunters but never share any of their toys or try to organise any kind of support network.

I think the idea is that they just can't believe it. How dumb would you have to be to not have any way of sharing information and resources? Basically, some characters in the show are finally noticing what everyone watching it has been aware of for ages.

Yeah, but as has been mentioned, every hunter they knew is dead at this point. I think Bobby was the last connection they had, who actually did seem to maintain a pretty good hunter network, but he's dead, and Garth was being set up to be Bobby Jr. for a while but then he turned into a werewolf. You can't exactly put an ad in the paper looking for fellow hunters of nightmare creatures, and as was mentioned previously, Britain is a fraction of the size of the US which would necessitate letting a lot of people in on the secret.

Hard to say how much of it would have gone down.

That first hell gate thing probably could have been opened anyway. Yellow Eyes had lots of juiced up kids. I don't actually remember how that even opened anymore, but I think the ghost of their dad helped close it?

Ghost Dad restrained Yellow Eyes so Dean could get a good shot at him with the Colt.

quote:

The angels had literally been conspiring against Sam and Dean since before they were conceived to ensure proper archangel vessels for Mike and Lucy would exist. In that one episode we learned they'd died and been brought back lots of times. Way more times than they remembered. They weren't going to be allowed to stay dead while Lucifer and Michael were still getting ready for the final battle. So Dean's deal with the crossroads demon to have Sam brought back that first time was probably pointless. If he hadn't done it the Angels would have brought him back anyway. No harm, no foul.

No, the crossroads deal was necessary because one of the requirements to break out Lucifer was "shedding of blood by a righteous man in Hell" which was fulfilled by Dean giving in and agreeing to torture other souls. The original plan was for their dad to be the one, but he never gave in and then he broke out when the gate opened.
(TNT has 4-hour blocks every morning and that part reran just last week.)

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 17, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Wasn't the first gate an innocent in hell spilling blood? It was suppose to be John but he refused to torture. Dean caused it since he was willing to do so.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Momma Winchester is the best thing they could have possibly done with this show.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's nice to see the boys (and mom) having trouble with actual trained hunters/MOL people. We all know Dean and Sam have had such a massive power creep up the ladder that it's nice to see they can still get smacked down once in a while.

I am a bit ambivalent on Springfield though. I really dug Cassifer because it was like he was channeling Pelligrino but Springfield seems to just be doing his own thing. Dunno if I like it yet or not.

What the hell was up with that picture in the journal though? It looks like Bobby, Cass, and Ash are all in it. Didn't notice till a friend sent me a screencap of it. Maybe we get some time travel issues this season?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm really digging this season. That's all. I'm just really loving that it seems to not be getting bogged down in another world ended monster thing and instead seems to just be them dealing with the world around them. I hope for a full season of just hunting while they adjust to Mom and deal with the Men of Letters. And at the end of last season I'm pretty sure I said I wanted to see them bring all the new hunters they introduced together and it seems like they could be headed that way.

I'm sure a big villain will be introduced eventually but right now that seems like its either the Men of Letters or Lucifer, and either I'm cool with. And hopefully they resist it until mid season and give us a lot of fun hunting episodes. They can keep the "mythology" to Mom, MoL, and Lucifer without having to build up some new Darkness or Leviathons which we were all pretty tired of.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It will be amusing if the MoL leadership pull in the Winchesters as a bid to control US hunters and get access to the MoL vault but the Winchesters have such an underground cult following from UK hunter crowd that they end up pulling off a coup.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They had like 5 more chances to kill MoL lady this episode and none of them did it. What reason did they have not to, aside from Because The Plot Demands It?
She had no problem torturing and killing them if it came down to it, it makes no sense why Dean would opt for punching her in the face instead of shooting her in the face. They've killed people for less before.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know I used to like Crowley but at this point, am I the only one who really wanted Lucifier to just make good on his promise after that and blow both him and his mother into giblets? It would have actually made the devil intimidating again, too, because as it stands he's a loving pathetic joke. Not that they have taken hell seriously in like five seasons or anything.

raditts posted:

They had like 5 more chances to kill MoL lady this episode and none of them did it. What reason did they have not to, aside from Because The Plot Demands It?
She had no problem torturing and killing them if it came down to it, it makes no sense why Dean would opt for punching her in the face instead of shooting her in the face. They've killed people for less before.

Yeah, I almost thought they were going to curve ball us and let their mother pump her so full of lead they could use her as a pencil, but nope.

So if she ends up loving everything up, I guess it's their fault.. again.

raditts posted:

Seriously, the only ones we've seen since are what.. the dudes from Mexico and the deaf lady? That's it?

The whole total loss of the Hunter aesthetic hurt the show a lot and a lot of the reason for the more painful bullshit is they keep refusing to let them have long-term allies and it's obnoxious. Maybe this season they'll finally realize that yeah, it'd be cool to you know, have a show about hunters again and not entirely revolve around just two freaking people at all costs.

Hell, so far I am shocked they haven't found some bullshit, half-assed reason to send Castiel running around in the other end of the country because of their phobia of having a series regular actually show up in the same scenes or something.

Rocksicles posted:

Momma Winchester is the best thing they could have possibly done with this show.

An actual third character that gets to stick around and not be sidelined all of the time is something desperately needed. They blew a hole in the show when they killed Bobby, then they hosed around with a replacement, then they just.. left that gaping hole there. In my opinion things went from downhill to freefall without the fatherly voice of reason, so maybe she can take up a similar mantle.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 21, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know when they brought up Benny I so wanted her to start acting as audience commentary and going "Yeah remember how you ditched him back in Purgatory after basically blowing him off for a year while he desperately called you for help over and over? Yeah, you Winchesters are a couple of assholes."

STAC Goat posted:

I hope for a full season of just hunting while they adjust to Mom and deal with the Men of Letters. And at the end of last season I'm pretty sure I said I wanted to see them bring all the new hunters they introduced together and it seems like they could be headed that way.

Calling it now. The British Men of Letters is actually the one that's corrupt, not the US Hunters, and it's run by a monster - probably the guy we met this episode, and that their effectively used to keep other monsters out of their turf.

Also I do find it hilarious that they are seriously trying to act like things like, oh I don't know, the apocalypse or the sun dying are American problems and not at all global.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

An actual third character that gets to stick around and not be sidelined all of the time is something desperately needed. They blew a hole in the show when they killed Bobby, then they hosed around with a replacement, then they just.. left that gaping hole there. In my opinion things went from downhill to freefall without the fatherly voice of reason, so maybe she can take up a similar mantle.

I really liked the Idea of Garth as Bobby Jr. but I guess the chance of starring in a Syfy zombie show was far too appealing for him.