Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Any tips for getting kills with the rifle grenades as the Medic? I feel like I'm launching wet farts at the enemy and I feel useless having to give up my revive needle for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Well it was a fun 15 minutes while the servers were up :argh:

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
EA is the biggest, dumbest bag of dicks I have ever seen in my life. I bought BF1 on the ps4 digitally yesterday and when I attempt to login for the very first time, it tells me my account is locked. So I ask EA wtf since I never did anything that'd get me banned back when I used to play bf4. Turns out it was because of something that happened in Nov 2014, the last month I played an EA game that wasn't even MY fault. One day I got some emails about FIFA stuff being bought on my account with a credit card in CANADA(at the time I was living in Florida) tied to another address in Canada. So I contacted their "customer service" and told them about the weird poo poo that happened. Weird poo poo I know but they could have easier just compared our IPs. I never got a response. To this day that FIFA poo poo is STILL tied to my account. So after finding out yesterday after buying bf1 digitally, I emailed then to get it unlocked since I wasn't the one that did poo poo and they replied that after a "though investigation" they weren't gonna do poo poo because the guy with the stolen card disputed the charge(as he should have if they refused to refund him). Now I can't get a refund from sony either since it's not their fault and I've run the game at all after dling it.

gently caress you EA you non-literate bags of dicks. Lesson learned. Next time don't say poo poo and enjoy my free poo poo...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So if I'm prob going to get this within the next 30 days, is there any reason not to get at a month of EA Access also? It comes with a 10% off discount so I save a little bit of money anyway right?

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 21, 2016

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

Any tips for getting kills with the rifle grenades as the Medic? I feel like I'm launching wet farts at the enemy and I feel useless having to give up my revive needle for it.

Are you using frag or HE? If the frags aren't your thing, try going for HE direct impact kills, or shoot into crowded areas like the bunkers in the Ardennes map. Also, YMMV, but I prefer to give up health packs over the needle when running nades. When you res people, they come back with 100% HP anyway, I'm pretty sure.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
No servers means that I get time to dig into Civ VI, so no biggie for me.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

frank.club posted:

It seems that Xbox and ps4 servers are the target of a ddos attack today

those goddamn hun bastards

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The DDOS is actually hitting a major DNS so a lot more than xbox live and psn are down depending on the region you're in. Stuff like twitter, amazon, zillow, netflix, etc are going down too since the DNS servers are overloaded.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kyuzo posted:

I do. Specifically, I get the GetDeviceRemovedReason error, which appears to be a Battlefield issue going back several games now. I've tried a bunch of different things, but it always comes back. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours and sometimes it happens within minutes. It's frustrating because I'm really enjoying the game and Operations have been fantastic, but that's also where it seems to happen the most.

Ah, I can't even tell what the error is. The game suddenly freezes, I hear the Windows error sound, and then I have to bring up Task Manager and kill the process (can be tricky with only one monitor, but on my dual monitor setup I can use keyboard shortcuts to move Task Manager over to my other window so I can see what I'm doing).

If there's an actual error popup, it must be appearing under the game. So I don't even know what the problem is that I'm getting so often, or if it's the same one every time.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Deakul posted:

Hoooly gently caress, Argonne and Suez are literally the worst conquest maps I've ever played.

Possibly worse than Metro and Locker.

half agree; Argonne is amazing, and Suez is poo poo.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This game seems to make my mouse and keyboard disconnect and reconnect a lot :iiam:

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

404notfound posted:

Ah, I can't even tell what the error is. The game suddenly freezes, I hear the Windows error sound, and then I have to bring up Task Manager and kill the process (can be tricky with only one monitor, but on my dual monitor setup I can use keyboard shortcuts to move Task Manager over to my other window so I can see what I'm doing).

If there's an actual error popup, it must be appearing under the game. So I don't even know what the problem is that I'm getting so often, or if it's the same one every time.

I get the same thing. Happens maybe every hour or two. The only thing I've noticed is this game destroys my CPU, its nearly always at 100% usage, so its probably something related to that.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I just started the Italian campaign mission and the opening is pretty funny.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
With servers down, a good time to finish off all the collectibles in the singleplayer and unlock some sweet skins. I'm 4/5 stories cleared, just the first one left to go. Then it's rank up three more classes to level 2 in MP and all the trophies are done, very easy and straightforward stuff this time around, which suits me as them I can focus on shooting the mans.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Time to go defeat the Hun in Civilization VI instead :toot:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

havenwaters posted:

The DDOS is actually hitting a major DNS so a lot more than xbox live and psn are down depending on the region you're in. Stuff like twitter, amazon, zillow, netflix, etc are going down too since the DNS servers are overloaded.

Goddamn this poo poo is so stupid.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

404notfound posted:

Also, the behemoths seem drastically different in terms of efficiency. The blimp is just way too good, since you get to look down on everybody and just rain down destruction, while the only recourse the enemy team has is to focus fire with the AT rifle and K bullets or hope to get lucky with AA turrets. I haven't seen planes be very effective against the blimp. On the other hand, the battleship sucks because the enemy can use torpedo boats from up close where the passengers can't really get a shot on them.

Mounted machine guns work wonders if they are far enough away to angle up (like any in the main spawn). They don't do enough damage to the main balloon to be worth your time but they will tear the gondolas and engine pods to pieces. I can confirm this from personal experience :black101: I can also confirm from personal and painful experience that the gunners are exposed to sniper fire :argh:

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

disjoe posted:

I just started the Italian campaign mission and the opening is pretty funny.

What you mean il Daddo del Terminatori de saddisad?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The armor isn't silly. It's not for running around pretending your are WW1 Terminator with a machine gun though.

I am sad they missed the chance to do an All Quiet On The Westen Front tribute War Story.

Seems silly to me.

e: Edit is not post. Whatever.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 21, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The armor isn't silly. It's not for running around pretending your are WW1 Terminator with a machine gun though.

I am sad they missed the chance to do an All Quiet On The Westen Front tribute War Story.

disjoe posted:

Seems silly to me.

Basically, the whole armor thing was brought back due to shrapnel for air burst shells and they experimented with all kinds including not only the steel helmets but they looked into masks, helmet protectors and lots of upper body stuff as well.

The armor was worn by soldiers that were sentries behind the heavier immobile machine guns to ensure some form of protection against shell splinters and grenade fragments.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 21, 2016

Kyuzo
Aug 14, 2002

404notfound posted:

Yeah, it appears under the game. On the task bar, the BF process shows two windows, the locked up game window and the popup. I have to do something similar where I move the popup window to the second monitor to see it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Italian war story might be silly but considering what actually happened on that front it was a lot more entertaining that 'fight the same battle multiple times, lose because your commander is a moron' which you can pretty much experience yourself in the multiplayer section of the game.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah the whole "Storm of Steel" title for the opening chapter got me all excited then I felt let down. The lack of any Central Powers experiences is a mistake in my opinion. Also the absolutely ridiculous way some of the characters in the game present themselves completely pulled me out of the experience a few times. Lawrence of Arabia's arrival had me fall of my chair laughing because I've been reading "Revolt in the Desert" on and off the last few months and holy moses I don't think he was a swaggering popcorn movie action hero.

There's just a ton of missed opportunities. Nothing is explained of the Ottoman Empire's complex relationship with Arab tribes. There is no close look at the Harlem Hellfighters experience being practically ignored by the US but utilized and respected by the French to the extent they became one of the most famous fighting forces of 1918. The en--masse butchery of Anzacs in the Dardanelles is somewhat reduced to a special force dudes being a cool dude. And the world's largest LOL at friends in high places.

But this perspective comes from a history-nerd Warsperg with a degree in political geography. This is a Battlefield game first and a historical narrative somewhat further down the line. It handles the war much better than the Medals of Honor and the Calls of Duty that precipitated the age of WW2 game everything. For a starting exposure to WW1 for general audience, it does a great job of showing that these narratives existed via a AAA big budget media product. I'm hoping that we will get an inevitable flood of WW1 games, movies and television in the coming years, many of which will do a much better job of exploring these histories.

All that and we still get the radddest FPS explosion-carnival ever. The campaign is a series of explosive and exciting set pieces, it completely succeeds at being an arcadey spectacle. It's even fun! I'm ok with that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I am hoping they'll be bringing at least one war story chapter with the DLC, It would make more sense if they are going to charge 15-20 bucks now.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Honestly the only part that kinda bums me out in this otherwise flawless game is the lack of a REAL trench warfare map. We get to see no mans land in the pilot campaign and it is this cool as hell cratered moonscape from hell. I guess it seems that they tried to distance themselves from trenches so much that they forgot to add them. I guess that with a French DLC you know some are coming, maybe they were saving them for later.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am hoping they'll be bringing at least one war story chapter with the DLC, It would make more sense if they are going to charge 15-20 bucks now.

WELL there were three "epilogue" missions in the Alpha leak that were shown and I didn't see the game, in there so...

Yeah so what happened to ttthese...

Episode 6 : Epilogue
Chapitre 1 : Gallipoli
Chapitre 2 : The Runaround
Chapitre 3 : Saving a Life

HMMMM????

DeliciousPatriotism fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 21, 2016

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

scouts, if you aren't doing your part for the war effort and spotting for our brave support soldiers' mortars and our stationary artillery guns, please gtfo out and stay back at home with the women & children.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Basically, the whole armor thing was brought back due to shrapnel for air burst shells and they experimented with all kinds including not only the steel helmets but they looked into masks, helmet protectors and lots of upper body stuff as well.

The armor was worn by soldiers that were sentries behind the heavier immobile machine guns to ensure some form of protection against shell splinters and grenade fragments.

Fair enough. All I meant was the context made me laugh. I'm aware of the experiments with body armor but the campaign mission made me giggle because it begins all like "let's take WWI seriously" and then goes full Terminator.

All in all though I'm surprised this game is as accurate as it is. I was expecting full-blown steampunk alternate universe WWI and I got a good balance of historical accuracy and fun game play.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

disjoe posted:

Fair enough. All I meant was the context made me laugh. I'm aware of the experiments with body armor but the campaign mission made me giggle because it begins all like "let's take WWI seriously" and then goes full Terminator.

All in all though I'm surprised this game is as accurate as it is. I was expecting full-blown steampunk alternate universe WWI and I got a good balance of historical accuracy and fun game play.

It's loving silly as hell, yeah considering how over the top it is. I still think they should have made you at least scavenge replacement armor when it got too damage.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's loving silly as hell, yeah considering how over the top it is. I still think they should have made you at least scavenge replacement armor when it got too damage.

"Whew what a close call thanks to this armor I've survived a rock slide equivalent to a 1/4 of an entire mountain time to take it off."

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The new DUnkey vid is perfect!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1YDaSw8gDM

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am not sure if EA itself is getting DDoS'd, if that isn't the case if someone can dig up the FQDNs/IPs of the battlefield servers you could work around the server outage via a hosts file addition.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cr0y posted:

I am not sure if EA itself is getting DDoS'd, if that isn't the case if someone can dig up the FQDNs/IPs of the battlefield servers you could work around the server outage via a hosts file addition.

Nah, it's wider than EA. They hit one of the main pipes in the series of tubes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

"Whew what a close call thanks to this armor I've survived a rock slide equivalent to a 1/4 of an entire mountain time to take it off."

Lets not forget the Runner guy!

I quietly murdered everyone outside the fortress, but I'll take on this entire fortress instead of getting the gently caress out because it is cool!

Ah well, at least they get why we didn't like the previous games campaigns and are slowly making progress.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

moosecow333 posted:

It has a low arc, reloads in a instant and it has a tendency to bounce off terrain. I think it's a mistake to treat it as if you have four grenades to carefully pick and choose, rapid fire them around corners or off alley walls in Amiens. Flush out room campers by ricocheting frag rounds off interior walls or the doorway.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knifegrab posted:

I play forward scout, I've probably put ~9-10 hours into the game, so take that as you will. Drop spotting flares all day, use your pistol for up close, and push objectives. Out of the 10 or so hours played I probably put about 6-7 hours into just playing scout, its my favorite class.

Blinding flare is fun but kind of useless comparitively. Decoys are hilarious but worthless, as is the spotting telescope. Your spotting flare gun is the best gadget in the whole game, and k bullets do help that little bit extra in taking down armor and planes.

How does the Spotting Flare work? Is it line of sight or and area?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lets not forget the Runner guy!

I quietly murdered everyone outside the fortress, but I'll take on this entire fortress instead of getting the gently caress out because it is cool!

Ah well, at least they get why we didn't like the previous games campaigns and are slowly making progress.

Yeah, the pilot is pretty obviously lying about saving his co-pilot, which is nice and ambiguous and makes the ridiculous poo poo that happened afterwards not quite so insane... but the Aussie and Italian ones are just dumb decisions because reasons.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dear new world order fascist shadow government. Battlefield 1 is out today and we need to level up our poo poo. Go ahead and murder wikileaks or whatever there's no need to take down the entire internet. TIA

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

s.i.r.e. posted:

How does the Spotting Flare work? Is it line of sight or and area?

I struggled with this in the open beta. Turns out, you don't use it the way you would expect a flare gun to work, i.e., firing it right up into the air. It's basically like the recon balls from other BF games, where you wanna toss it to where you want to spot enemies.

There's a radius around the flare that it will show all enemies on the minimap, no line of sight required. It also does some incendiary damage--I've gotten a few (mostly accidental) kills with it.

It's important to know that there are three different ways to have spotted enemies in the game. There's the 3D outline that comes from someone using the sniper periscope; there's the floating indicator over their head when someone does a normal Q/RB spot; and there's a minimap indicator when someone fires a weapon or is highlighted by the flare. If there's somebody spotted on the minimap but your map is zoomed in, it'll show a red band at the edge of the minimap showing which direction they're in.

The flare has some pretty heavy drop that takes some getting used to if you're trying to launch it a farther distance. I've also had issues with it getting stuck on window frames and such, like half the time I try to use it from the battlements of Fao Fortress, I end up lighting myself on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Server browser is only showing one 64 player conquest server among tons of empty ones, and even that one has a queue of over 40 people. Operations doesn't seem to be working at all. Is this my connection or more widespread?