Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uh, I think any civ with production-based abilities might be overpowered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I'm enjoying having more wonders in my capital than tile improvements but I feel it may be a little bit silly and I can only imagine that it will be severely nerfed. I like the opportunity for minmaxing the game as a whole offers, but some parts do need looking at.

In contrast the great wall seems pretty useless because you can't build it outside your borders, which means you need to occupy quite a lot of your city with kind of useless fortifications to get the benefit.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Krazyface posted:

I think it varies. Legions definitely seem to keep their building abilities.

What about eagle warriors specifically?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Just completed my first game as China on Emperor. I was rolling around above 1000 GPT by the end so I probably could have won Domination if I felt it but I just went for a Science victory.

Observation: If Kongo is in the game, don't plan on getting Great Merchants until you can just buy them outright.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

So...

It seems like I should wait for patches prior to purchasing?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Brannock posted:

Also every time I open the Civilopedia I keep clicking on [Getting Started] instead of the Search box. For some reason my brain keeps wanting to think that the inverted color box signifies the search box, not the blue box with white text.

Holy poo poo I am glad I'm not the only one who does this

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Golden Battler posted:

Holy poo poo I am glad I'm not the only one who does this

:same:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How do I upgrade a unit?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Is it just me or is the colored wheel that's supposed to show religious conflict really unhelpful? I have no idea what sort of pressure I have, how much is required to convert a city, or even what my missionaries and apostles are doing when they spread religion.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

So...

It seems like I should wait for patches prior to purchasing?

I guess? Most people seem to enjoy the game and like the changes. The negative stuff seems mmmmmmmmmmmostly limited to small things like the UI or graphical glitches. There will certainly be a patch hitting in some time to fix some of these, but this is by no means a Civ V situation where the release game was bare. Nothing is game breakingly bad off the start.

If you want it now, go for it. If feel like waiting, all the power to you. We're still like a day out from the official release so there's not a complete consensus yet. Probably many people have yet to make it through more than a single game, if that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
for those of you having problems with early game barbarians, play sumeria

crush them under your donkey carts, hunt them down for their delicious goody huts

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do I upgrade a unit?

If the unit is in your territory there should be an up-arrow looking icon. It won't be available if you don't have the resources for the upgraded unit

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OwlFancier posted:

Playing China, building the pyramids to get five uses per builder plus a free builder lets you basically build any wonder you want within a handful of turns, it's even more broken on longer games.

If you do that and then pick up the policy that gives you +2 builder uses, you get seven charges per builder, which you can expend for 105% total production on a wonder, which means you can build any classical/ancient wonder for the price of 1 builder which you can then cut using the cheap builder policy, and then seven turns to bang on it with a hammer.

It's possibly a little bit broken.

Thankfully China can only burn their builder charges on classical and ancient era wonders. Of course there's a decent chance that several of these will still be around later due to how picky wonders are for where you can build them now.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
actually i dont think people are realizing fully how good sumeria is right now, it actively encourages you to build up a highly mobile army to capture as many barb camps as you can to fuel your expansion, so you can feed that right back into the military

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alkydere posted:

Thankfully China can only burn their builder charges on classical and ancient era wonders. Of course there's a decent chance that several of these will still be around later due to how picky wonders are for where you can build them now.

yea it feels like they made sure everyone is really solid in one specific area that fits the leader.

China is fuckin insane in the early game, but once you get past there it becomes less 'wonder rush EVERYTHING' and more maintaining the wonders and using them to boost your empire's prestige and advancement...you know...fitting China pretty well actually!

I spent pretty much all day just tooling around with different civs, I'm yet to finish a game and still haven't decided who I like best, but mainly because I've liked everyone.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

actually i dont think people are realizing fully how good sumeria is right now, it actively encourages you to build up a highly mobile army to capture as many barb camps as you can to fuel your expansion, so you can feed that right back into the military

Sumeria is loving nuts, if you're out hunting barbs you have the potential to get some amazing poo poo, and their unique unit and all encourages a really fun fast mobility focused military rather than the Aztec's warrior spam style.

Murder savages, make some friends, jump into their biz (now that the AI is actually eager to declare war on each other and all), get some spoils for none of the warmonger penalty that would hurt you making more friends to get in their biz later.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This game is so unbelievably addicting what evil have you unleashed upon me?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess? Most people seem to enjoy the game and like the changes. The negative stuff seems mmmmmmmmmmmostly limited to small things like the UI or graphical glitches. There will certainly be a patch hitting in some time to fix some of these, but this is by no means a Civ V situation where the release game was bare. Nothing is game breakingly bad off the start.

If you want it now, go for it. If feel like waiting, all the power to you. We're still like a day out from the official release so there's not a complete consensus yet. Probably many people have yet to make it through more than a single game, if that.

Yeah, the only "big" deal I think needs fixing is production costs being reduced and/or science and culture costs being upped or tweaked; like several other people I've found that my production has trouble keeping up with my advancement even when I go and research everything along the way. I'm in the Renaissance Era and have only built a single campus and holy site so far.

Also man, the Great Library isn't really worth it anymore. I love the idea of building it but I'm thinking it might actually be better to pass on unless you're going for culture, rather than science, actually; +2 science isn't huge, but two slots for great works of writing is useful.

Edit: Hm, torn on continents versus pangaea for what map type to play on. How have other people fared with both? I hear the AI doesn't handle islands well, though island plates could be interesting.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 22, 2016

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Sumeria is loving nuts, if you're out hunting barbs you have the potential to get some amazing poo poo, and their unique unit and all encourages a really fun fast mobility focused military rather than the Aztec's warrior spam style.

Murder savages, make some friends, jump into their biz (now that the AI is actually eager to declare war on each other and all), get some spoils for none of the warmonger penalty that would hurt you making more friends to get in their biz later.

gently caress yeah, its part of the reason my first or second gold purchase depending upon luck is a war cart, so i can start singlehandedly popping barb camps

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
My biggest problem with Sumeria is a whole piece of the civ's bonuses is missing in multiplayer.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there some place to buy this game for a cheaper price than Steam offers? $60 seems a bit much.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there some place to buy this game for a cheaper price than Steam offers? $60 seems a bit much.

Next steam summer sale.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: Hm, torn on continents versus pangaea for what map type to play on. How have other people fared with both? I hear the AI doesn't handle islands well, though island plates could be interesting.

Continental plates are actually really annoying. The game I'm in England hates me for being on a different continent where she doesn't have a city even though our cities are like 12 hexes apart.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm playing on a huge Inland Sea map:

Oh hey, that's pretty cool, I wonder what...

That scout died trying to see the eastern edge. BTW, this map also got the Great Barrier Reef, on the other side of the ocean.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So, we know a lot of the civs are really powerful, any civs that seem lacking so far? I'd guess France, but I haven't played as them yet.

Krazyface posted:

I'm playing on a huge Inland Sea map:

Oh hey, that's pretty cool, I wonder what...

That scout died trying to see the eastern edge. BTW, this map also got the Great Barrier Reef, on the other side of the ocean.

:stare:

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I spent pretty much all day just tooling around with different civs, I'm yet to finish a game and still haven't decided who I like best, but mainly because I've liked everyone.

10 hours of playtime and 0 completed games here. I have a problem. :negative:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Odobenidae posted:

10 hours of playtime and 0 completed games here. I have a problem. :negative:

Don't feel bad. I just finished my first after 15 and due to how bad I am at this game my took way too long. I had 3 games before I finished one.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Anyone playing this with the Steam Controller? How good/bad is it?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
My general impression after a couple of games is that most of the wonders and great scientists/engineers are far, far less powerful than they were in Civ V.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

paperwind posted:

My general impression after a couple of games is that most of the wonders and great scientists/engineers are far, far less powerful than they were in Civ V.

On the other hand, Galileo surrounded by 5 mountains

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I don't have the game yet but the Rome theme is just awesome. Probably an original composition?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

emdash posted:

Anyone playing this with the Steam Controller? How good/bad is it?

I think it works pretty well. I flub occasionally because I mix up the paddles, and it's a little too fast (the cursor), but other than that I have no real complaints.

Well, also. Scrolling sucks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm pretty annoyed that I pre-ordered from CDkeys in SEptember but my key didn't turn up until today so I haven't got my pre-purchase bonus. That's really poo poo and I don't think I can do anything about it.

Barbarians are absolutely awful in this one, I think I'm going to turn them off. I know military units are cheaper and easier to build but I don't like having to clear stuff out constantly. I guess it's not about it being harder, it's just more fiddly.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Fuckin Saladin buttering me up with friendship declarations and then warring with me the second they expire.

Jokes on him though. Washington is a loving industrial powerhouse.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't think I'll be able to complete the game with the all the pearls, I'm getting a recurring crash on turn 118.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Until I read this thread I thought they'd removed the ability for cities to bombard and I was absolutely baffled by that.
Not as baffled as I am by them taking away the production queue though.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2022

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Negrostrike posted:

I don't have the game yet but the Rome theme is just awesome. Probably an original composition?

Honestly my favorite part of the game is the music and sound design, they really hit the audio out of the park.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You can rotate the camera.

Not sure if everybody knew this or not, but I sure didn't. Alt click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

splifyphus posted:

The other problem is the AI forgetting to upgrade units, but it's not a consistent bug. Most of the AIs in my emperor game kept pace or were ahead of me in both military and tech, but a couple of them had hordes of horsemen and warriors long into the industrial age. Not sure what the deal is there.

If they don't get iron they can't upgrade warriors into anything until infantry. Seems like a bit of an oversight to me, they should at least get the option to evolve into the anti cav line.